Got to agree with this one, I still consider anything outside UC as Gundam Wannabe.

Now where's my MS IGLOO the series? Or at least make a series based on Advance of Zeta, they got several nice MS there.

The problem with UC is that there are too many of them concentrated on UC 0079-0100 timeline. Make another story around that era and deal with massive retcons and continuity mess. They should exploit more of pre-F91 or between F91-V or even post V era. But then, anything post V will be nothing like UC we know so it's the same thing with starting new universe anyway.

Finally wanted the preview for this. I am not a huge gundam fan, but double pass. The mecha designs are passable, except for that stupid chest hatch sticking so far out, that just looks dumb. The enemy mecha look cool, interesting designs there, and the ships look ok, nothing special or unique. The character design though really kills it for me, I'm sure it would draw in my kids with those characters, but it will not age well at all.

I'll just wait and finish out unicorn and then hope for some good UC Gundam again. Heck what I would love is if they would just go back and redo the whole UC Gundam after unicorn, update the designs, update the story, fix the continuity glitches etc... Maybe, even go with the novel version where Amaro dies, but then that makes the sequel series that much harder to do.

It's a step to acquire new enthusiasts from younger audiences.

It's not bad at all but maybe not for us (20+ audiance)...

People seem to forget that all of the classic robot anime series from the 80's (Gundam, Macross, Mospeada, Dunbine, etc) were aimed at kids to sell toys and plamodels. 20+ years later we still love 'em and buy toys/plamodels of them. ^_^

Edited by Vifam7

The character style reminds me a bit of GEAR FIGHTER DENDOH.

^This

Not complaining about the char designs though. But the Gundam mecha.... looks like it can "evolve" and get powers ala Rockman and switch between them.

Yay bandai.

• 3 months later...

A Gundam nerd raging about other Gundam nerds... raging about a Gundam show. Where's Xzibit when you need him?

A lot of what he said was pretty true, but I am one of those fans who's tired of having the main protagonist be some snotty 15-year old kid. I'm starting to become less able to suspend my belief about the plausibility of a kid getting into a huge robot and saving the universe, etc... I had the same complaints about MacF, but the rest of the characters were really what saved the day for me.

Regardless, he's right... we'll just have to wait to see how things pan out for this series.

People seem to forget that all of the classic robot anime series from the 80's (Gundam, Macross, Mospeada, Dunbine, etc) were aimed at kids to sell toys and plamodels. 20+ years later we still love 'em and buy toys/plamodels of them. ^_^

Actually, I could make the case that Yoshiyuki Tomino at least was trying very hard to destroy the mecha toy industry... :lol: Hes widely blamed for bringing down Clover, one of the biggest toy companies of the early Gundam era, with late changes to the Gundam designs (though this may well be exaggerated, theres some evidence to suggest that certain Clover Gundam sets were actually big sellers), Ideon didn't exactly set the toy world on fire for Tomy, Dunbines curvy, organic designs weren't accurately reproduced until at least twenty years after the show aired, and if you ever want to make a Japanese toy designer weep, tell them to make a show-accurate transforming Zeta Gundam... :)

Edited by F-ZeroOne

A Gundam nerd raging about other Gundam nerds... raging about a Gundam show. Where's Xzibit when you need him?

A lot of what he said was pretty true, but I am one of those fans who's tired of having the main protagonist be some snotty 15-year old kid. I'm starting to become less able to suspend my belief about the plausibility of a kid getting into a huge robot and saving the universe, etc... I had the same complaints about MacF, but the rest of the characters were really what saved the day for me.

Regardless, he's right... we'll just have to wait to see how things pan out for this series.

Well I wouldn't hold your breath. As the video pointed out, the only two main Gundam protagonists are Domon (who really wasn't that adult) and S2 Setsuna. It'll keep going and going and going...

At least Flit doesn't seem like he's going to be too emo.

First episode impressions: Felt much like a 1970s mecha show, in a good way. Definitely aimed at a younger audience, so I'm not expecting an all to complicated plot. It's a bit less gritty then the 0079 and the mecha designs are fairly simple. The character designs work aren't really an issue, they blend in better then I expected. Flit and Emily have a strong Amuro and Fraw Bow vibe.

I liked the first ep more than I expected. Flit only pilots AGE-1 once Largan doesn't, but he doesn't hesitate. UE seem to have some tactical sense, too, which is nice to see. It was mostly pretty generic, but aesthetics notwithstanding (since I still hate the MS designs and the character designs are just 'meh' to me) the things that are distinct are well-done. Not sure if it's something I'll want to stick to in the long-term, but I'll watch ep2 for sure.

I think the idea of kids piloting giant robots makes sense. Little kids can survive an attack by an ace pilot for 3 reasons:

-the tech is so far advanced that the ace pilots weapons are virtually useless at cracking the armor of the robot due to the robot using better armor. (Like a low level experienced player trying to kill a high level noob wearing the best gear in an mmorpg)

-the beam rifle was the feddies advantage over zeon. You only needed very little effort to kill things. This is like giving a noob player a highly powerful sword in a mmo.

-the dude who is an ace underestimates the pilot and is too interested in studying or capturing it for the zeon to study, which means he is distracted. Winning a fight isn;t the main objective so much as gathering intelligence about the experimental robot.

Gundam 0079 might have had a kid as the main character, but that doesn't mean it is aimed for kids. It had semi-realistic reasoning behind how a kid could still not die easily, by showing us how great a gundam as a robot is by handing over control to a compleye noob. By showing the audience how a kid could kick butt in it, it is saying "this technolgy is so much better that it can make a better pilot using a worse robot look bad in a fight". In a lot of shows the kid is so hard at training that he learns a lot in a short space of time partially because he "doesn't have to unlearn" old habits like an adult who is used to older systems. (the SDF-1 in macross might be one example - the crew was dealing with something not of this world and information about how to use it might be completely different to what came before)

When you think about it, because it is all experimental tech, a kid could actually be more suitable because they don't carry as much old information in their heads that they need to forget before letting new information in their heads. Lacking battle experience due to age makes them less smart, but gundam is more about people guided by psychic intuition. So it gives a dumb guy the appearance of having super human reflexes when he dodges things, but it is really just "knowing how to make the right choices by tapping into a higher power lying dormant in you mind" and "using your gut instinct" vs "being a brilliant strategist". This can give the appearance of a kid who is just a normal pilot with fast response times or a sharp mind who knows things from experience, but in reality is just average in intelligence/experience etc. The psychic power combined with having the cutting edge robot means a child can still beat experienced vets because he has an unfair advantage. (this is why it is "semi-realistic" show to me because it's a convincing enough reason for why a kid might still beat adults in combat despite not having battle experience)

The guy in the youtube video is very cunning. Gundam 0079 to me at least is really aimed at a "general audience" for both adults and kids. In the same way star wars OT was. (no jarjar binks then but it did have the ewoks)

I think the only reason he attacks 079 is because the main character is young, (silly argument) but the overall tone (wars, environmental destruction from fighting using nuke powered machines etc) was serious. You have space nazis planning to wipe out what they deem 'an inferior unevolved race' in order to reshape society in thier own utopian ideal - this is like adolf hitler and the dream for a master race through engineering society by using genetics whilst killing off those that do not fit the mold of an ancient atlantean superman with psychic powers which is what they believed to have descended from. The show is obviously influenced by real wars of the past despite being a scifi cartoon for entertainment.

To put it bluntly gundam 079 is really just world war 2 in space, (like star wars) but just using giant robots instead of tanks and WWII fighters. (even the way you don't have guided missiles in the UC universe mirrors this) It was a mature show that both children and adults like. By trying to counter-argue with the trolls he bit their bait! lol You should ignore a troll since the purpose of the troll is really to waste your time. Just don't read thier comments and they will lose energy once they see there is nobody taking the bait.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

At last the new Gundam series, Mobile Suit Gundam AGE has debuted! There’s just one problem. The video stream with English subtitles is only available to south Asia! Why do I get the feeling that Sunrise was watching all the [CENSORED] comments from the [CENSORED] fanboys on YouTube and decided that Americans don’t get to watch it? Fortunately if one pokes around the internetz enough these days you can [CENSORED].

Anyway, I thought this was a very good first episode. It definitely is aimed at a younger audience I think, but it holds up and is definitely Gundam to the core. I liked the main character Flit, he definitely gets a pass on the accidental civilian pilot trope. Can’t say I’m fond of his character design though.

Emily might have a little bit of Fraw Bow syndrome; we’ll have to see. Most of the other characters seem interesting, especially the pilot for the Genoace mobile suit. Largan I think it was? We’ll have to see the next few episodes for me to really get a handle on the rest of the cast.

There were a couple of stand out scenes in this episode that I liked. The first was the scene where Flit’s mother dies in the first attack by AGE’s Unknown Enemy. Very Batman-esque. She gives him the AGE Device, which is certainly not the cell phone those damn fanboys were complaining about.

I also like the scene in the classroom where Flit tries to explain about how it’s just so logical that the space colony they’re on, Nora, will be attacked by the UE next and how the teacher doesn’t want to hear it. Seems little Flit may be a child-genius but he doesn’t understand how a lot of people’s heads work. Seems like he might be a bit of an outcast at school too, as Emily and this kid named Dique seem to be his only friends.

I also like how Flit isn’t obsessed with the Gundam to the point of being stupid. There’s a flashback scene to his home on the space colony Orvan where Flit is being shown a painting of a Gundam (one that looks a lot like the classic RX-78-2) and is told that the Asuno family have been involved with the legendary Gundams for years. But when the time comes that the UE invades the colony, Flit initially wants the trained military pilot Largan to fly the Gundam before he tries piloting it himself.

Lastly, while the Gundam AGE-1’s debut fight is kinda similar to stuff we’ve seen in First Gundam and SEED, what makes the fight stand out is the way that Flit quite literally shanks one of the UE Gafran MS. It’s actually kinda hilarious. The other two Gafrans blow up their injured comrade and then retreat. I guess this is why the UE are still unknown if they won’t let their tech fall into enemy hands.

What else? I can’t say that I cared much for the opening song of this series. It’s not that it’s a bad song, I just don’t think it fits a Gundam series, even one that’s aimed at a younger audience. But since this is a Gundam series, we’ll have at least two to three opening and closing themes in total, so we’ll see.

I also think that this series might be pulling a Gundam X. What I mean is, Gundam X was depicted as sort of an alternate history of the Universal Century. I think they might be going with that here with all the talk of the Earth Federation, O’Neill Space Colony cylinders and stories about legendary Gundams from the past. We’ll have to see.

I’m still not cool on the design of the Gundam AGE-1. I think I could safely say that this is the first Gundam series I’ve seen where I like the grunt and enemy suits more than the Gundam. Hopefully the AGE-2 and -3 will look cooler.

All in all, I’m liking what I’m seeing so far. I give this episode *** out of five stars.

Some first impressions, no spoilers I think (well, other than - you'll see):

1) Surprisingly "old school" in feel; did not immediately set my "WingBoyFive" alarms ringing like most non-UC Gundams do. It even has o'Neill cylinders [*], "proper" Haro and was that Camille Vidan making a cameo as a jeep driver?!

2) Still not entirely sold on the character designs; its an odd mix of Gundam current and almost 1970s Mazinger-era design. It doesn't help that one of the characters looks like a nine year old Sayla Mass, to the extent one wonders if it wasn't originally planned as a "White Base Junior" series.

3) Never really liked the trend started in SEED for Zoid-like Mobile SUIT designs. If you're gonna have transformers in Gundam, do it like they did in Zeta - make them bloody weird.

4) Currently a little unclear if its another alternate universe or some far-distant future one. Probably the former, but rather ambiguous.

5) Lead characters mother is killed off in the opening sequence, which is a speed record Tomino himself would have been hard-pressed to beat.

6) Ginger afro! Its been ages since we had a proper ginger afro in a mecha show!

7) The Gundam has a freakin' spoiler! A SPOILER!

In summary: this first episode breaks very little new ground whatsoever. It is virtually the same opening episode as the last few Gundam series. However, the overall impression I got is that this is a Gundam aimed at an audience entirely new to Gundam - one possibly too young even to remember Gundam SEED - and is designed to introduce them to Gundams core concepts. I will be intrigued to see if the "multi-generational" plotline thats been talked about will make Gundam AGE stand out from its peers eventually, and although I still feel Bandai really does need to start thinking a bit more outside the box where non-Universal Century Gundam is concerned, I actually quite liked this latest entry to the Gundam multiverse.

[*] Oh, just seen full outside shot. They're not UC-era colonies, with solar panels seemingly done for rule-of-cool purposes.

And from the second episode:

Introduces the thing that makes this Gundam not just for show, the AGE system.

You have to laugh out very loud, because its both a way for Bandai to print even more yen, an incredibly convenient plot device and a really cool SF idea all rolled into one outrageously ingenious egg-shaped package (you'll see what I mean when you see it).

I suddenly want a Kinder egg.

Edited by F-ZeroOne

Some first impressions, no spoilers I think (well, other than - you'll see):

4) Currently a little unclear if its another alternate universe or some far-distant future one. Probably the former, but rather ambiguous.

There were a couple things that suggested to me that this could be a distant future UC story.

Mainly the one painting that Flit is shown looks almost identical to the RX-78 Gundam.

After 2 episodes, this show is surprisingly....the same as any other Gundam show. All that fanboy rage really was nothing but hot air.

My reaction so far to this show: :mellow: Could be worst....could be better. But right now... :mellow:

There were a couple things that suggested to me that this could be a distant future UC story.

Mainly the one painting that Flit is shown looks almost identical to the RX-78 Gundam.

Yes, having now seen the second episode it does seem to hint a bit more thats its perhaps a distant future UC setting - one where everyone wears GOGGLES! :)

Edited by F-ZeroOne

That age system machine is pretty redonkulous. Really, a machine that can output a WIN in approximately 5 seconds no matter the situation?

This will make for a great plot. Every episode can involve the AGE system breaking, and everyone working hard to fix it so that they can it can ouput

a WIN at the end of every episode. Thats milking to the max! And they can make a model kit for EVERY weapon/system made, and PROFIT *troll face*

Well here we are with the second episode of Gundam AGE, though it’s getting close to time for episode 3 as I write this. I been slackin’!

Don’t have to go into too much elaborate detail with this episode, as a lot of background things were explained in episode 1 and more will be in future episodes. This episode seemed to be just continuing the colony attack from the first episode, although there are some important elements here. First the assumed captain of the new Federation warship Diva is jerk and a scumwad for wanting to abandon the people of Nora and rightfully gets owned by Commander Grudek (DAT BEARD). Maybe the reason why the Federation is losing to the Unknown Enemy is because they have a lot of buttheads like this guy in their ranks? Emily and Dique overhear this so I’m willing to bet dollars to yen that this’ll come up later.

Flit, whilst transporting the Gundam Age-1 to the ship, runs into a young girl named Yurin L’Ciel who seems to be a Newtype. Now I know it’s presumptive to assume that but she was acting all precognitive and whatnot and the only times we see that are when Newtypes/Innovators are around. (And Quatre from Gundam Wing, sorta) Considering that ever since SEED we’ve had more staples of UC Gundam creeping into the AUs, I wouldn’t be surprised if yet again we get Newtypes, unexplained Newtypes or what have you showing up here, especially if my personal theory that this show is, like Gundam X, an alternate far-future of the Universal Century. Anywho, Yurin is certainly mysterious and only time will tell who she is, what she wants and what her role to play is in the grand scheme of things.

The plan to gather the nameless civilian masses of Nora into the colony’s central core and tow it away is definitely unique but considering that this is Gundam, tragedy is almost sure to strike and set the erstwhile Gundam pilot on a firm path to conflict with the UE.

Also, the AGE Builder deserves a prominent mention. At last we discover what probably is the major reason why the title Gundam is said to “evolve” during the course of the series. It’s essentially a large, egg-shaped mobile factory that uses principals similar to a 3D printer. Combined with the AGE System (the exact workings of which we still aren’t fully aware) it is capable of analyzing battle data and manufacturing new weapons and upgrades for the Gundam Age-1 (and possibly other suits as well). In this episode it builds the DOTS (or DODS) beam rifle for the Gundam, which results in awesome destruction. Speaking of the Gundam, I’m still not cool on the overall design, but at least the Age-1 gets to do awesome things. Last episode it was the Beam Shank and in this episode we have PREPARE FOR RAMMING SPEED!!!

Overall I’m now much more into the series than after the first episode and if interesting things keep happening, I’ll definitely stay with it. One thing I would like to know is the episode count. I still don’t know what this is, but given that every full-length Gundam series since 2002 has run for 50 episodes, I would imagine the same would be done for AGE. It’s been suggested on certain forums that the storyline might shift back and forth between the three generations, but given the narrative pace of the first two episodes, I don’t think this is the case. If they are going to do one generation after another then I would imagine them doing 17 episodes for the first generation and Flit, 16 episodes with Flit’s son Asemu, and wrap it up with 17 episodes concerning Flit’s grandson Kio. Or, and this is big speculation on my part, since Gundam 00 was split into two 25 episode seasons, they’ll do the same with AGE, but instead of two seasons, it’ll be three 16-25 episode seasons. If that were to happen, AGE might just knock Victory Gundam off its perch as longest Gundam series (though only by virtue of having 51 episodes.) Now THAT would be interesting.

Also, I give this episode 4 out of 5 stars.