there's actually precious little extra bits on ROTF Jetfire that are there only for the combo gimmick. The belt is pretty unobtrusive and the chest locks are actually unnecessary. The big bulk of him is definitely taken up by the batter/speaker box.

In fact, I would say that if he didn't have the speaker box, a much more convincing jetfire/prime combo could have been possible.

Same for Leader Jetfire, actually. Wouldn't have been perfect, but getting rid of the giant lights-n-sound box would have made for a whole lot less undercarriage. (and if they hadn't have been lazy and actually made the turbine-legs from the turbines!) The whole engine nacelles are giant hollow kibble, instead of actually housing the legs inside.

Put arms where the box was, put the legs inside the engines, and you've gotten rid of a whole lot of bot kibble...

I've got Jetfire sitting on my shelf right now, and I do agree to a degree. Half the thickness of his body is contributed by the sound box.

Still, the main problem I see here is that he's forced to do double duty with the alt mode and superparts WHILE staying relatively non parts-forming. In the CG model, his turbines become his legs, and the nose and neck of the jet become his head and torso. But as super parts, the turbines remain turbines, but are relocated to Optimus' back as thrusters, while his alt mode nose and neck split in half to become "pauldrons."

I don't think it's possible to make Jetfire's turbines transformable into legs and yet be able to detach and be relocated to Optimus' back. And I have no idea how they will be able to make the Blackbird's nose and neck transformable into Jetfire's head and torso, and still be able to split in half AND be relocated to Optimus' shoulders.

Fact is, I don't think Jetfire in the movie was mean to actually to be able to convert his whole body into super parts like the toy. The movie shows only selected parts of Jetfire attaching onto Optimus as super parts. The toy on the other hand necessitates his entire being to convert into the parts, becoming more like power armor ala Q-Rau or the power loader from Aliens rather than individual parts.

Even if it were possible, budget and the need for it to be simple enough for kids to transform would render such designs unfeasible.

Therefore, taking away the electronics only makes his alt mode much better, and even then its only possible if the super parts design concept was removed.

Just my two cents' worth.

Fact is, I don't think Jetfire in the movie was mean to actually to be able to convert his whole body into super parts like the toy. The movie shows only selected parts of Jetfire attaching onto Optimus as super parts. The toy on the other hand necessitates his entire being to convert into the parts, becoming more like power armor ala Q-Rau or the power loader from Aliens rather than individual parts.

This. Trying to make "all of him" become an articulated armor set for Prime is wrong in every possible way, and ruins every mode for it. They should have just made a "traditional" leader-sized Jetfire toy, and make a few parts "pop off" and attach to Prime--like the nose and tailfins (yay for combiner-mode kibble). Would have accomplished "the look" but much better for most everybody involved. (coould empty nacelles suffice for power-up Prime's look?)

Speaking of, any ideas what Fansproject's next project will be? Something for the fans, I presume? ^_^

I have heard that, yes. They are indeed working on some kind of project... for fans. But aside from being a fans' project, details are sketchy. :rolleyes:

+1 on this. I never liked MP Megs from the start, it's just too flimsy looking, and alt mode just looks goofy as an oversized gun. A new Megatron doesn't even have to be a gun; it can be another tank, a silver Cadillac, or even Cybertronian ship so long as bot mode looks solid.

Ask, and ye shall receive: http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/color-images-of-3rd-party-megatron-with-size-comparisons/23638/

Third party or not, this rendition of Megs looks killer.

Despite some minor nitpicks, this is the best pistol alt-mode Megatron toy I've seen. The shaping of the legs could be improved a little, but overall, it looks great...that face is spot-on...one of my many issues with MP Megs. The only other beef I have with this is that the lower abdomen doesn't have the familiar red side vents and collapse into the chest...for whatever reason, I like that part of the transformation.

Anyway, by not being absolutely slavish to the Walther P-38, but still making him look like a believable pistol, maintaining the basic G-1 transformation, and achieving a bulkier bot mod, I think they've got a winner in the making.

Probably because neither mode is accurate, yet both are "close enough".

That's what I'm thinking.

Somehow, I actually find the official MP Megatron better looking than this one, despite the skinny legs and over-sized fusion cannon.

Any news about the upcomming hasbro's movie trilogy line??? I've just seen pictures of deluxe soundwave and wheeljack, but I think they're still dotm.

last I heard was that Soundwave and Que in movie colors are the last wave of DotM, then Movie Trilogy starts with redecos of Nitro bumblebee (into another yellow bumblebee), ratchet (G1 colors), soundwave (sort of soundblaster colors) and Wheeljack (G1 colors with G1 head).

The Prime toys should start showing up soon, and hopefully that'll put the kibosh on movie toys, which proudly warm the pegs at my local Wally. I'm looking forward to getting a Prime Arcee and Wheeljack...the rest of the figs, while decent, I can live without. Being unemployed may affect my selectiveness, as well.

The Prime toys should start showing up soon, and hopefully that'll put the kibosh on movie toys, which proudly warm the pegs at my local Wally. I'm looking forward to getting a Prime Arcee and Wheeljack...the rest of the figs, while decent, I can live without. Being unemployed may affect my selectiveness, as well.

I'm being selective for different reasons--dwindling storage space. Even on rotation, I'm fast running out of space to store the boxes themselves.

As far as TF Prime, I'll only be getting the Takara release Arcee, Vehicon, and Voyager Starscream and maybe that giant green bot that transforms into a plane [don't remember his name]. If and when they release leader class Optimus and Megatron, I'll be picking those up as well.

fyi.

seems like Wally's pricing the Classics/Generations figs at $9, but there's not much selection in my area so just settled for another Wheeljack.

we had two shootings in two weeks at the walmart nearest to me.

there's actually precious little extra bits on ROTF Jetfire that are there only for the combo gimmick. The belt is pretty unobtrusive and the chest locks are actually unnecessary. The big bulk of him is definitely taken up by the batter/speaker box.

In fact, I would say that if he didn't have the speaker box, a much more convincing jetfire/prime combo could have been possible.

That's more or less what the TakaraTomy designer said about it. He had to design the whole figure around the speaker box and combination gimmick.

I guess the big question is, who the hell thought a speaker box would be a good idea?

Something about either toy regulations or Hasbro's company policy requiring gimmicks and features to be included for toys above a certain price range.

Either that, or it's their belief that kids like lights and sounds on toys, which is true to a certain degree.

And there's always the "it's 100x bigger than it needs to be" issue. You can light up a Gundam with multiple LED's with nothing more than a watch battery and wires. Why does Hasbro need a 2x3inch box to do the same thing?

because it has to be able to survive being thrown down a flight of stairs and run on AAs.

because it has to be able to survive being thrown down a flight of stairs and run on AAs.

The best one can hope for in getting adult collector grade movieverse figs, is for TakaraTomy to give the Bayverse designs the G1 Masterpiece treatment a decade or so down the road.

It was near impossible for the CG artists to get a flawless, proportionate transformation on the bots, much less to build an actual toy. And what with Hasbro's need to adhere to budget and child safety laws, we're lucky some of the toys look as good as they do.

Has anyone gotten the individual parts of the Devastator Hercules ? Should i get it and is it worth the 79.90 price?

I've gotten them so far. I've been impressed with the designs, both robot and vehicle. The crane's even got all the pieces for you to thread the hook if you want too. Are they worth $80 a pop? If they weren't going to combine into a massive Devastator Hercules at the end, I wouldn't pay that much for them. It's all about the promise of a massive, kick-butt combiner. Of course, if the final product turns out to suck, the joke will be on me.

What are the chances of a DMK-03 model kit in the form of either Megatron as his third incarnation, or Shockwave? I heard Optimus and Bee sold very well, which should encourage TakaraTomy to look further into the line.

Edited by GU-11