Yamato 1/60 VF-17 Nightmare Diamond Force

Sure we should all just buy every release no matter the cost just so hopefully they'll make the next toy. Whatever.

Chris

My thoughts exactly. I might get the VF-19F, and a V2 YF-19, if it gets made. Aside from those, I'm planning on getting a Super and Armored version of Ozma's VF-25S from Bandai to go with the Alto and Ozma bare Valkyries that I have on pre-order.

After that, I think I'm pretty much done with Macross, unless I decide to pick up other VF-1's to go with the one Roy DRYL that I have.

-Kyp

Sure we should all just buy every release no matter the cost just so hopefully they'll make the next toy. Whatever.

Chris

wow.... that's exactly what I meant... Let me re-phrase the first part to avoid any further mis-interpretation:

"if you don't like it, or if you like it but can't afford it, then don't buy it"

... and the market will decide whether Yamato is successful or not.

That I agree with :)

It was the second part of your sentence "and then they won't continue to bother us by making anymore Macross toys" that bugged me. There has been this attitude here by some recently and in the past, that we HAVE to buy all releases to get the more desired releases or better versions of subjects ect. My appologies if I lumped you into that group.

Edit: interestingly, in the VF-11 thread Graham stated the the 11 line wasn't successful and that was why Yamato hasn't continued with it or added any accessories for the 2 existing toys. Speaking purely from the cost stand-point, they were kind of pricey valks considering the size of the toy, they cost about as much as the SV-51 or the YF-21 which were both much larger and came with more things. It kind of sucks that Yamato may judge success of they line when the costs are getting so high. What are they expecting?

As for the VF-17, it really is a non-issue for me, never cared for the design to begin with and personally don't like how this sculpt is looking in fighter mode. Put that with the really high price and.....well...

Chris

Edited by Dobber

My thoughts exactly. I might get the VF-19F, and a V2 YF-19, if it gets made. Aside from those, I'm planning on getting a Super and Armored version of Ozma's VF-25S from Bandai to go with the Alto and Ozma bare Valkyries that I have on pre-order.

After that, I think I'm pretty much done with Macross, unless I decide to pick up other VF-1's to go with the one Roy DRYL that I have.

-Kyp

That's kind of the boat I'm in as well Kyp. That's why I was curious if the Japanese fans where feeling that these prices were getting a little high for them too, though obviously not as bad as it is for foreign fans. Unfortunately, if the trend continues the, the bubble is gonna have to burst at some point.

Chris

That's kind of the boat I'm in as well Kyp. That's why I was curious if the Japanese fans where feeling that these prices were getting a little high for them too, though obviously not as bad as it is for foreign fans. Unfortunately, if the trend continues the, the bubble is gonna have to burst at some point.

Chris

With the way oil prices are going, I wouldn't be surprised if the price point continued its upward trend :(

The D head is so much better than the S missing that mongo forehead.

Luckily i was reading the thread, i had completely forgotten about the VF-17D with the 2 cannons and the much nicer head.

I went to look at my old Bandai 1/65 VF-17S and i remember how i disliked the huge noggin of the 17s.

Also i think the purple lines look so much better than the yellow lines. I'm completely on the fence now. At first i was 100% into the VF-17S but with the high prices and the possibility that they could easily come up with a VF-17D later down the road........I'm hovering at 50% now.

With the way oil prices are going, I wouldn't be surprised if the price point continued its upward trend :(

Yes, oil prices around the world is causing the general cost of toys to go up. For example look at Transformers, deluxed sized, they used to be 9.99 and now 11.99. It's just that some retailers can still sell it at the lower prices because they get subsidized by sales of their groceries or other products.

Question for those in the know: Will the VF-17S come with the super packs? I know many people already mentioned there at attachment hardpoints for the super packs.

As for the VF-17, it really is a non-issue for me, never cared for the design to begin with and personally don't like how this sculpt is looking in fighter mode. Put that with the really high price and.....well...

Chris

Funny, the VF-17 is one of my favorite designs (to each their own), but I like the "D" version better, so I'll just pass on this one and hope the "D" gets produced, and even then, I'll only buy one to display in battroid mode due to the compromised (but understandably so) fighter mode.

We're on the same page tho. I'm happy Yamato is doing what they're doing, but I'll only buy the ones I like and can afford, and just keep hoping there's enough customers out there buying all the Yamato toys I don't like to keep them producing

Still waiting for that 1/60 monster...

...the price and the compromised fighter mode will bring me to buy just one

I first saw the pictures on ninja71519863 photobucket page and thought finally some pictures from Yamato, and then I see the price of $290.74 on the pre-order page on HLJ..... China has gone too far you know. I don't know if I want to ge this one. this means after I save up and pay for the 19S, I have to save up again.

Gahhh, this one is driving me nuts. I want all the VF-19's and I did want this at one point, but damn the price points are getting to the point of me maybe tapping out.

My goal was to complete the Mac 7 collection, but looking at how much mac7 valks are costing i'm not too sure I will be able to. I am so on the fence ATM about this one.

I will wait until final shots of the unit are up and decide then I guess. The weak USD may also drive me out of buying many more Yamato's in the future.

I guess time will tell........ Just kinda sucks that I completed SDF-Macross,DYRL,Macross Plus and Macross Zero valk collections and may have to drop off.

Edited by Loop

Man...I dunno...When I only get one of something, I nearly always leave it in the box for fear of breaking it at the slightest provocation. It's hard enough to justify $200 to leave something in the box, much less $300.

If it is getting this costly to make a toy, I do wonder how much longer Yamato can sustain making a profit off of these toys. Seems like it could be a vicious cycle - the higher the price, the less people can afford it, which reduces production runs of subsequent models, which raises prices...

The breaking point will be when something like the VF-17 comes out and doesn't sell at all because fans are waiting for it to drop to a price they can afford. Not saying the VF-17 will be the one that does it, but man, it's getting harder and harder to justify...

[...]

Question for those in the know: Will the VF-17S come with the super packs? I know many people already mentioned there at attachment hardpoints for the super packs.

Features and Gimmicks:

• ABS, PVC, and Diecast Construction
  • 27 centimeters long in fighter mode.
  • Comes with gun pod, pilot figure, stand adaptor, and marking stickers.
  • Can store gun pod internally in leg.
  • Has flip out backpack verniers.

So no, I'm afraid it's not coming with the super parts :angry:

If it is getting this costly to make a toy, I do wonder how much longer Yamato can sustain making a profit off of these toys. Seems like it could be a vicious cycle - the higher the price, the less people can afford it, which reduces production runs of subsequent models, which raises prices...

The price is really only skyrocketing for people outside of Japan with poor exchange rates, though. In terms of Yen, this thing is priced right around the same as other Yamato toys like the SV-51, the YF-21, etc. If the exchange rate were the same today as it was a few years ago, this would only cost around $200 for those of us in the US. Can't really fault Yamato for another country's weak currency. :(

It's a little more than the SV-51 and YF-21. Both of those listed for ¥21,800 and included fast packs and a stand. the VF-19 lists for ¥22,000 and the VF-17 stand alone is ¥24,800. prices are on the rise but the increased value of the Yen is having a much greater effect.

The price is really only skyrocketing for people outside of Japan with poor exchange rates, though. In terms of Yen, this thing is priced right around the same as other Yamato toys like the SV-51, the YF-21, etc. If the exchange rate were the same today as it was a few years ago, this would only cost around $200 for those of us in the US. Can't really fault Yamato for another country's weak currency. :(

Thank you for pointing that out. Yamato is no way responsible for the crappy exchange rate.

Graham

Right. It's about a $50 difference from now and 18 months ago, just due to the exchange rate. The MSRP has also been rising a significant amount, too. YF-21 was 18,800Â¥ wasn't it? This is 24,800Â¥, which is a 32% increase... It's 2800 more yen on MSRP than the VF-19 Kai, as well. Maybe because it's not as popular and therefore not expected to sell as many units as the Basara? Both together are double whammy.

Isn't it a fact, though, that each and every Yamato valk is more expensive than the last? I wonder if they're just going to keep upping the price as long as we keep buying. Why wouldn't they? They'd be stupid not to.

I'm sure materials and manufacturing costs are going up for them (Yamato), too, so the price is likely a reflection of that. I don't like it, either, but things are gonna get worse before they get better.

A couple of pages ago Graham said:

Yes, due to the higher quality factory Yamato is using recently, plus price increases in China and increased material costs, Yamato told me their production cost has risen 2.5 times in the past year :(

They are also not happy about it, but would rather use this high quality factory.

Graham

Right. It's about a $50 difference from now and 18 months ago, just due to the exchange rate. The MSRP has also been rising a significant amount, too. YF-21 was 18,800Â¥ wasn't it? This is 24,800Â¥, which is a 32% increase... It's 2800 more yen on MSRP than the VF-19 Kai, as well. Maybe because it's not as popular and therefore not expected to sell as many units as the Basara? Both together are double whammy.

Like I said YF-21 released for ¥21,800; the reissue without the fastpack and stand was ¥18,800. honestly I don't think ¥3,000 in 3 years isn't that bad considering how much better Yamato's stuff has gotten.

I first saw the pictures on ninja71519863 photobucket page and thought finally some pictures from Yamato, and then I see the price of $290.74 on the pre-order page on HLJ..... China has gone too far you know. I don't know if I want to ge this one. this means after I save up and pay for the 19S, I have to save up again.

And they say the China Yuan is undervalued.

Whether the toy is worth it to me depends on durability so please yamato: "no first release curse" on this! lol

Everyone should get at least 1 I think. Maybe sales of this will influence bandai to do the vf-171?

Personally I look forward mostly to the vf-19 series more and a possible chance of yf-19 version 2 more than vf-17 but I think I might end up getting a 17 next year maybe as a present and/or after reviews of it are good.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I hadn't thought about the exchange rate. I remember starting my collection at the 1/72 for ~$70-$100 a piece. Then they started moving into $200 a piece (SV-51 and YF-21 if I recall), and now the VF-17 is nearly $300!! Blech - stupid dollar...I wish we would get our act together...it's hurting important stuff like collecting toys! :D

I really like the VF-171 more...I wonder what the chances are we'll see that.