Star Wars on Blu-ray in 2011

Guest sh002

• 5 weeks later...

Less than a month away folks. Here are some internal shots of the set. I sitll wish we had regular hubs and older poster style artwork, but it does its job.

http://www.hometheat...rt#post_3842951

There are also some shots there of the reclaimed frame in the PT movies.

Edited by Keith

They've announced the official art & packaging for the blurays. Can't say I'm happy, it's going to mimic the Alien Anthology cardboard book with page sleeves. Did anyone here pick up the Alien Anthology, and if so, have you had any problem with disc scuffing? Right now I'm debating on cancelling & just getting the two individual releases, since those will come in 3 disc BD cases, the only downside would be the loss of all the bonus content.

post-278-0-15167400-1311318863_thumb.jpg

Being on Blu-ray, it would be pretty hard to scratch. I doubt the paper would do it, no matter how many times you inserted them/took them out.

I am going to hold off on purchasing this set until I see some technical reviews of the release. If it has the same video and audio issues that the last DVD release had, I may just pass.

All signs are pointing to "fixed."

http://www.thedigita...ds/preview.html

Edited by Keith

that black smudge on the Emperor always really bugged me. Glad it will be fixed too. Hope some more of those deleted scenes will be incorporated back into the movies too. I remember when the SE's came out and the whole Biggs, Luke, and Red leader scene really surprised me.

Chris

Y'know, I'm utterly bored with all the drama over Star Wars and Lucas and whatever stupid little changes he makes. I saw Star Wars when I was 7, and nothing he does changes anything about that experience, nor are any of his tweaks remotely important enough for me to spend the tiniest bit of energy thinking about.

Well, except the fraction of a calorie it took to type this, I mean. :D

Frak you, George Lucas. Frak you in the ass until you die.

Ain't It Cool News: Goddammit, George... NO!

I'll pass on this set, and I'll find an alternate method to get the bonus disc content.

You know, none of the other changes really offended me..not even Han not shooting first (I never even noticed it one way or the other until someone pointed it out to me).

But this RotJ change seriously ruined the moment. I was almost prepared to accept the first (sort of muttered) "no" but the drawn out "no" killed it.

Looking at it objectively, Lucas probably wanted to reflect back to the end of EpIII when Vader found out Padme died and cried out "no." And I guess that sort of works: Anakin isn't going to make the same mistake twice and put his faith in Palpatine while a loved one/family member dies.

But it still ruins the moment.

(And the new Krayt dragon call sounds stupid, too)

Edited by jwasko

For me, it's the standout perfect moment of ROTJ. No words are needed, at all. And his silence in his actions provide the contrast for when he does actually talk, after the event. You are hanging. on. every. word.

Damn I can't believe Lucas. He really went a bit too far this time.

At this point, whatever. As long as all the blasters & light sabers aren't replaced with walkie talkies, then I'm still in. Honestly, after reading the responses to it, it wasn't "as bad" as I was expecting, at least not as bad as Luke's scream in 97 edit Empire, which is what I was expecting. I was far more bothered by the removal of Luke's dialogue about R2 not tasting good, and even that I've gotten over. As jwasko said, I understand the purpose behind the change, and it's not like those "no's didn't cost them an arm and a leg to get JEJ back in there to record.

I just wish Lucas would have overdubbed the one little thing in SW that truly needs overdubbing. EVERY SINGLE LINE OF DIALOGUE THAT JAKE LLOYD SPEWS OUT." If they swapped that out with the dialogue of a kid who could act, Phantom Menace would be 10 times better.

Edited by Keith

I've been doing some reading on the original trilogy forum and the fanedit.org forum about the recent odd SW video clips that can be seen on youtube.

Supposedly, the new Krayt dragon audio comes from Family guy : Blue Harvest, which would then make this video and the other video that came out at the same time, the ROTJ darth vader "Noooooooo!" video, to be fakes.

I like that this new SW movie package is in high definition and has all those deleted scenes included in the bonus discs.

It's just a matter of time for fan editors to make their own version of SW that will make them happy!

The change that I liked least from the SE's was in Empire when Vader use to growl "Bring my shuttle" to the long winded "Alert my Star Destroyer to prepare for my arrival." The original growl was sooo much better and I thought really showed how pissed off Vader was that he failed to bring in Luke.

Hope it will be changed back and that this stupid "no" is a fake.

Chris

More videos from the Blu's are popping up on Youtube, including various new CGI "enhancements" to the OT which look like shite.

Grain of salt:

Rich Johnston from Bleeding Cool:

When I was at Big Screen a week and a half ago, I got to sit down with ILM’s John Goodson and Bill George. While it’s possible that they were mistaken and not properly briefed, both Goodson and George told me that, actually, no new material had created for the Blu-ray incarnations of the films.

I specifically asked precisely this, and they specifically told me that, no, George had not been making more changes of this fashion. I asked clearly, and they gave me a clear – and apparently definitive – answer.

Edited by Duke Togo

At this point, whatever. As long as all the blasters & light sabers aren't replaced with walkie talkies, then I'm still in. Honestly, after reading the responses to it, it wasn't "as bad" as I was expecting, at least not as bad as Luke's scream in 97 edit Empire, which is what I was expecting. I was far more bothered by the removal of Luke's dialogue about R2 not tasting good, and even that I've gotten over. As jwasko said, I understand the purpose behind the change, and it's not like those "no's didn't cost them an arm and a leg to get JEJ back in there to record.

I just wish Lucas would have overdubbed the one little thing in SW that truly needs overdubbing. EVERY SINGLE LINE OF DIALOGUE THAT JAKE LLOYD SPEWS OUT." If they swapped that out with the dialogue of a kid who could act, Phantom Menace would be 10 times better.

Woah, I thought there was something missing from the last time I watched Empire....why the hell was that scene taken out?!?!

Woah, I thought there was something missing from the last time I watched Empire....why the hell was that scene taken out?!?!

Technically it's still there, but they used an alternate take with different dialogue.

More videos from the Blu's are popping up on Youtube, including various new CGI "enhancements" to the OT which look like shite.

Grain of salt:

Semantics, people. Semantics.

no new material had created for the Blu-ray incarnations of the films.

The journalist didn't ask them "Did they change any material?" Of course they didn't create anything new. They just CHANGED it using existing material. Fer-cryin' out loud, where are these people learning journalism from?????????

The New York Times article is not a very good journalism.

"On Wednesday, a press representative for Lucasfilm confirmed that this change will be included in the Blu-ray release, writing in an e-mail: “Yes — Darth says NO.”

Pretty vague article about important details.

I followed the NY times weblink back to the original article post on Bad Ass News.

http://www.badassdigest.com/2011/08/30/did-lucas-add-vader-crying-noooooo-to-return-of-the-jedi#disqus_thread

Devin Faraci, an independent web correspondent for BadAss news,

received the email from an "official" Lucasfilm representative as well

as a confirmation of authenticity by this same representative about the Darth

Vader "no" and the new Krayt dragon cry.

That must be some disgruntled SW employee to submit such an email.

Two more weeks and I'll know for sure.

I am seriously thinking about canceling my bestbuy bd SW preorder

and rent the BD SW movies later.

Seriously, what the f*ck is Lucas doing? The "no" thing is totally not needed (along with most other changes). It's like the dude just cant leave it alone. The man could release these movies exactly as they were originally and still make 800 million dollars.

The only things that should be changed (again) imo are cleaning up the CG effects they added in the special editions. That scene with Jabba in ep 4, for example, looks pretty dated (even though it's newer).

I love the old Star Wars as imperfect and limited as the special effects are. Am very happy that I have copies of what was originally released and not what Lucasarts has altered. So I will be staying away from this Blu-ray fiasco.

There is one great benefit to this waste... With Lucasarts so busy continuing to screw-up Star Wars they don't have time to F-up Indiana Jones. :blink: Or is that the title for Indy 5, Attack of the Revisionist.

But this RotJ change seriously ruined the moment. I was almost prepared to accept the first (sort of muttered) "no" but the drawn out "no" killed it.

Looking at it objectively, Lucas probably wanted to reflect back to the end of EpIII when Vader found out Padme died and cried out "no." And I guess that sort of works: Anakin isn't going to make the same mistake twice and put his faith in Palpatine while a loved one/family member dies.

But it still ruins the moment.

While it's not my first choice, the first subtle "no" was okay. Doesn't detract from the scene; but doesn't exactly add much from the original "no spoken words" version.

I could have lived with just that minor change.

But the stupid, drawn-out "NOOOOOOOOO!!!!"?

It really frakkin' killed one of the most memorable and most dramatic scenes of the entire Original Trilogy.

And yes, I get that he's trying to thematically tie it back to Vader's "NOOOOO!" in Ep III. But I found that whole "Homage to Frankenstein's Monster" bit to be one of the weakest aspects of the otherwise solid Ep. III.

Mini-tangent: If it was up to me, I would have redone that whole scene by having Vader fall to his knees instead; let out a more primal, almost growling "NOOOO!!" (like how a pained or emotionally strained Wolverine would scream it); then have Vader slowly get back up while quietly going back to his usually controlled breathing cadence; and have him stare back at Palpatine. End the scene making you wonder whether Vader's simmering with anger towards Palps or just trying to calm himself down after a little emotional outburst.

So, what's next? Is George gonna revise that Ep. III scene where Anakin and Padme stare out at the Coruscant skyline (presumably at each other) because there's no dialogue? :rolleyes:

The "noooo" at the end of Ep III was so bad. I mean that scene was a running joke on the net for years after that movie came out. It probably still is to some extent. How could anyone working on this set think it was a good idea to remind people of that?

The "noooo" at the end of Ep III was so bad. I mean that scene was a running joke on the net for years after that movie came out. It probably still is to some extent. How could anyone working on this set think it was a good idea to remind people of that?

They have no say, and no one has the balls to tell George no.