Star Wars on Blu-ray in 2011

Guest sh002

On one hand I'm bothered by this purely on principle. I'm deeply against directors unnecessarily re-cutting and re-editing their movies over and over and over ad nauseum. ::cough:blade runner:cough::

On the other hand I really don't give a sh*t because I don't even like the Star Wars movies and have no intention of ever going back and watching any of them ever again.

and on another hand, I kind of like that George is doing this because the level of Nerd rage it produces is absolutely hilarious. Mr Lucas is a truly epic troll and I respect him for that.

At this point, I've got non-anamorphic Definative Collection LD rips on DVD, & the 2004 edition + 2006 non-anamoprhic official Definative Collection LD masters on DVD. What do they all have in common? They look like crap upscaled. Hell or high water, I'm getting the bluray release too for the HD "pew pew" & "phwooom" action.

Edited by Keith

and on another hand, I kind of like that George is doing this because the level of Nerd rage it produces is absolutely hilarious. Mr Lucas is a truly epic troll and I respect him for that.

No need to get angry, just don't buy it - THAT will send a message that George will pay attention to. (well maybe, he is getting delusional - he actually seems to think his newer stuff is good)

At this point, I've got non-anamorphic Definative Collection LD rips on DVD, & the 2004 edition + 2006 non-anamoprhic official Definative Collection LD masters on DVD. What do they all have in common? They look like crap upscaled. Hell or high water, I'm getting the bluray release too for the HD "pew pew" & "phwooom" action.

+1 here. My Definitve Coleection LaserDisc's just look horrible on a new widescreen TV. Never bought the DVD's, so I'll get the Blu-Ray's. :mellow: I guess. <_<

I just waited until the DVDs (with the unedited, original, and unfortunately, non-anamorphic, versions on a separate disc) went for sale at $10 each at Target. :mellow:

I'm sure that all the deleted/bonus scenes from the Blu-Rays will eventually be posted on the Internet later on, so no sweat off my back. <shrugs>

Well, even the caped crusader @The_God_Damn_Batman tweeted about it. It kind of sums it up easily for me . *read the line in the Christian Bale voice for best results :) * "More changes to Star Wars on Blu-ray? Nice try George, but some a-hole already ruined my childhood."

Edited by mrhillz

If there is something that needs to be redone, I've always said the duel in EpIV would do good with a little digital re-touching.

Yeah, especially the bit where Darth cuts Ben down, that bit always looked fake. Also the bit where the Falcon takes off from the Death Star, the way the ship rotates on itself looks really unrealistic.

Anybody else want to add atuff to the shopping list af changes that are necessary to improve the original trilogy?

Irony:

George Lucas, circa 1998 - "The destruction of our film heritage, which is the focus of concern today, is only the tip of the iceberg. American law does not protect our painters, sculptors, recording artists, authors, or filmmakers from having their lifework distorted, and their reputation ruined. If something is not done now to clearly state the moral rights of artists, current and future technologies will alter, mutilate, and destroy for future generations the subtle human truths and highest human feeling that talented individuals within our society have created."

"Tomorrow, more advanced technology will be able to replace actors with “fresher faces,” or alter dialogue and change the movement of the actor’s lips to match. It will soon be possible to create a new “original” negative with whatever changes or alterations the copyright holder of the moment desires. In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be “replaced” by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten."

Edited by Duke Togo

I think that is his prime reasoning behind every change he's made to the films since they released. Iirc, he had some truly awful ideas about episode IV initially (Han Solo being some kind of orange alien or some crap). The guy makes some incredible movies from a visual standpoint. But now no one has the stones to tell him his ideas regarding plot, characterization, and even changes to his own classics, are just really horrid.

I'm really starting to believe that all these crappy changes was how Lucas originally intended the films to be.

No not really, it is how he has convinced himself that he really thought they should be.

Although he did have a grand over-arching story of which the original Star Wars was 1/3 (not 1/6) of the plot - the story at that time was very different, the Imperial family (of which Leia was directly related in earlier drafts) were all psionic users - and well known for being so (including leia). For proof of this see the early screentest footage (with Lucas' original abysmal dialog).

So Lucas had ideas in his head, but those ideas were modified over time, especially in regards to Vader and Luke - Vader was NOT Luke's father in the original Star Wars, that idea only came up for the second movie (otherwise Ben would have used a better line then "he betrayed and murdered your father", maybe something more like "He betrayed the Jedi and destroyed the man that was your father")

So Lucas had ideas in his head, but those ideas were modified over time, especially in regards to Vader and Luke - Vader was NOT Luke's father in the original Star Wars, that idea only came up for the second movie (otherwise Ben would have used a better line then "he betrayed and murdered your father", maybe something more like "He betrayed the Jedi and destroyed the man that was your father")

Vader was still a separate character in the first iteration of the Empire Strikes Back screenplay since Luke meets the ghost of his father right before flying off to confront Vader in Cloud City.

Vader was still a separate character in the first iteration of the Empire Strikes Back screenplay since Luke meets the ghost of his father right before flying off to confront Vader in Cloud City.

Never heard of that before - more proof that his great story only came about after the success of Star Wars - the entire prequal trilogy is about Vader's rise and fall (and eventual redemption), none of which fits in with the original Star Wars in any way. Noooooooo......

Scripts change so many times before filming starts that there isn't much value in arguing over what originally said what.

I'm beginning to feel like Star Wars was a fluke, and Emipre succeeded because someone else wrote and directed it. RotJ and RotS are ok, and the other two movies are flat out bad. Lucas' empire is essentially built on the value of two films.

Scripts change so many times before filming starts that there isn't much value in arguing over what originally said what.

True - but Lucas' claim that he had this "Grand" story already done and ready to go, but he had to pare it down to just Star Wars doesn't hold up, the particular rewrite we are talking about is not a minor consideration but the core of the "Grand Story" that was to come later. I have no doubt Lucas had lots of ideas and a basic outline in his head of what he wanted - but that is not nearly the same thing as nearly finished story just needing the final touches.

By the time RotJ was filmed everything was more of less pinned down, not before though.

Yeah, especially the bit where Darth cuts Ben down, that bit always looked fake. Also the bit where the Falcon takes off from the Death Star, the way the ship rotates on itself looks really unrealistic.

Anybody else want to add atuff to the shopping list af changes that are necessary to improve the original trilogy?

I think some of the monitors could use an update...for example, the plans to the Death Star downloaded by R2.....do they really need to stay in Commodore VIC20 graphics that were rendered by "Logo"?

The targeting screens for the X-Wings and Millenium Falcon? Those gotta go too.

The targeting screens for the X-Wings and Millenium Falcon? Those gotta go too.

Noooooo....

Only sortof a joke, those monitor images (especially the targetting screens) are fine. A targeting unit should display the essential information and nothing else - those do that perfectly well.

Noooooo....

Only sortof a joke, those monitor images (especially the targetting screens) are fine. A targeting unit should display the essential information and nothing else - those do that perfectly well.

Haha, I dunno man, I think at the very least images you see in an HUD would be a nice touch.....c'mon man, you gotta agree the plans to the Death Star are brutal...the ones during the briefing, and the ones that are downloaded from R2? I could have drwan those with Logo back in 1982

Edited by peter

Am I the only one that think Lucas is the man, and he keeps making the best movie series even better?

Yes

c'mon man, you gotta agree the plans to the Death Star are brutal...the ones during the briefing, and the ones that are downloaded from R2?

Those could use a bit of an update, the hud was fine (besides, just think what Lucas might do to it...)

Yes

Those could use a bit of an update, the hud was fine (besides, just think what Lucas might do to it...)

Your right...I can only imagine Lucas in there, insisting on a Jar-Jar icon in the corner or something stupid like that.