Should I read the Watchmen before seeing the movie?

40 members have voted

1. 1. Better to be surprised or have the original story?

• Read book first
    • See movie first

I've been debating whether to get the full/real story first, or "have no clue what's going to happen in the theater". I'm certain the novel's better and will read it at some point, but it will take away 90% of the "surprise" factor for any plot point in the movie.

If you havent read it, watch the movie first. I read this a long time ago and I'm gonna see it first before I reread it. I've forgotten most of the story. I've read the Sandman books a couple of times, but if they made a movie I would have to reread it again just to see the differences.

Mod note:

We got our discussion thread here: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=21950

I dare not venture into that thread for even a second, for fear of being spoiled. (there's pretty much no spoiler-rule for something 20+ years old)

I would say that every book is better than the movie so the graphic novel will be better.

Everyone who has ever read the graphic novel thought it was one of the greatest books ever written. The ending stays with you for a week because its so good.

The effect will be even better if read, so I would say read it for the full experience.

I wouldn't saw skip the movie. True that there is no way it will live up to the book and Zack has already stated he changed a few things including the endiing but none the less he is trying his hardest to be as close as possible. Plus Dave Gibbons the artist and co writer has been a large part of the production of the film. Read the book first but the movie is in fact different from the book.

My take on it is that I will probably enjoy the movie more having not read the book. I think if I read the book first I will be disappointed in whatever parts that get left out of the movie. I'm pretty optimistic that the movie will be great judging by how 300 turned out.

I plan to read the graphic novel to enhance what I saw on the big screen.

And what if it's just no good?

I doubt it will suck. They seem to be striking the right tone for the movie.

From my limited, Cliff's Note's understanding of the graphic novel, most of the stuff in the trailers hasn't seemed "off" or inconsistent with the spirit of the original story.

Hopefully, the rest of the movie will be solid, and we don't get a situation like Spiderman 3 (where the trailers were great but the actual movie just didn't deliver).

I doubt it will suck. They seem to be striking the right tone for the movie.

From my limited, Cliff's Note's understanding of the graphic novel, most of the stuff in the trailers hasn't seemed "off" or inconsistent with the spirit of the original story.

Hopefully, the rest of the movie will be solid, and we don't get a situation like Spiderman 3 (where the trailers were great but the actual movie just didn't deliver).

No, you're right. In every trailer I've seen, I know exactly whre in the comic each scene is taken from. And it all looks quite faithful, but...

As Alan Moore has said on numerous occasions, Watchmen (unlike, say, 300) was designed to show off all the things you could do in comics that you couldn't do in books or films. And while the plot is fine, the real star of Watchmen is the technique. The shifting colors, the transitions from scene to scene, the little stuff hidden in the background that you only notice the second or third time through, the way the dialogue and captions comment on the scenes unfolding, the way that a hint in "Under the Hood" becomes a bigger hint in the Silk Spectre memorabilia collection...there is too much in there that simply CAN'T be done in a movie, and I'm not sure why anyone would want to try.

And you all know the ending has been changed, right? (SPOILER TAGS ADDED FOR DAVID HINGTGEN'S SAKE)

There's no giant squid.

To say that because Snyder did a good job on 300 (which I guess he did...I hated the book, and I hated the movie even more; so I can't say that the movie wasn't consistent with the tone of the comic) makes him ideal to do Watchmen makes no sense to me. It's like saying, "Well, film director X has made a movie based on a novel before, so that makes him the right guy to do another novel-based movie." Comics are a medium, not a style or genre.

Plus, I have yet to see any film of an Alan Moore comic that managed to capture what is special, interesting, and most complex about his writing. People keep trying, and people keep failing. V for Vendetta came the closest, but still didn't quite pull it off. I've seen nothing to convince me this will be any different.

IMO, you have more to lose by watching the movie first.

Of every Alan Moore book that's been adapted to the screen thus far, the book has always been better (sometimes quite a lot better). That's not to say all books are better than the movies (Blade Runner was always better than Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, at least to me), but in the case of the Alan Moore books, odds are strong the book will be better.

If you watch the movie first and love it, you'll likely read the book.

If you watch the movie first but hate it, you're not likely to read the book, especially since the book is larger and will take a greater investment of your time.

If you read the book first and love it, you'll be really eager to see the film.

If you read the book first but hate it, at least you've sampled the Watchmen story at it's best in what is most likely it's strongest format.

"There ya go" :)

I'm going to see the movie, and read the book, period. The question is which first.

As long as you're going to read the book, I'd say it doesn't matter.

Just promise you *will* read the book. :) It's the little things in the book that make it awesome, most of them I expect not being capable of being translated to a film regardless of how hard they try.

If you read the book first and love it, you'll be really eager to see the film.

Not really true.

I´ve read and love everything Alan Moore wrote. So when the movie adaptation of From Hell came out I gave it a chance and was dissapointed.

I gave League of Extraordinary Gentlemen a chance. That movie made me lay down in a bathtub and reenact the scene from Heat, waiting for Al Pacino to find me.

V for Vendetta I stayed away from and I´m doing the same with Watchmen.

All cause I read the novels first.

Edited by Air-

The movie is very good, very faithful - even with the changes. To get the most out of the movie, watch it first. If you've read the books first, you lose a lot of tension in the film and some really great moments will fall a bit flat. The book will still be a masterpiece and read like one after you've seen the film. This is not the same caliber of previous Moore related films like From Hell and League of Extraordinary Gentlmen. This is a different beast entirely. This is good.

Anyway, just my $.02.

I've been debating whether to get the full/real story first, or "have no clue what's going to happen in the theater". I'm certain the novel's better and will read it at some point, but it will take away 90% of the "surprise" factor for any plot point in the movie.

You should read the story first because basically these are unknown characters who don't have the notoriety of the likes of Superman or Batman. With those two you already know their stories so there's no need to read 50 yrs of material. Besides, Alan Moore is such a quirky writer you'll see the original way his characters were meant to be. I believe Zack Snyder will be very faithful in his adaption but it's always good to have that back story. Some of what's going on in the comic is just crazy. Another interesting choice is to purchase the motion capture DVD that features all the comic panels (even with thought balloons). It's done almost like those groovy Marvel Super Heroes cartoons from the 60's. The only drawback is that the narrator does all the voices including the women. So the Silk Spectres, 1 & 2, just sounds like they're trannies or something. Nevertheless, it's a good option if you don't want to read the entire graphic novel.

Edited by terry the lone wolf

The movie is very good, very faithful - even with the changes. To get the most out of the movie, watch it first. If you've read the books first, you lose a lot of tension in the film and some really great moments will fall a bit flat. The book will still be a masterpiece and read like one after you've seen the film. This is not the same caliber of previous Moore related films like From Hell and League of Extraordinary Gentlmen. This is a different beast entirely. This is good.

Anyway, just my $.02.

You speak as though you've seen it. Have you?

I'm going to see the movie, and read the book, period. The question is which first.

When I see a movie that's based on a book, often the movie fails to live up to the source material. I say movie first, then book. If you do that, you're likely to enjoy the movie, then be pleasantly surprised when the book is better. If you read the book first you'll wind up disappointed at how the book was "dumbed down" for movie audiences.

I would say you are really cheating yourself if you see the movie before reading comic. I used to spend alot of time hanging out at a comic book store and as far as mainstream comics go I don't know of anyone who doesn't think it is the greatest ever. You will really get more out of the 12 hours straight (you've been warned, once you start you will have a hard time putting it down so plan accordingly) that you will spend reading the comic book than you could hope to get from the movie. It's an experience that shouldn't be trivialized by whatever the movie does for you.

I had this debate myself. I ended up finishing the book a week ago. ^_^

The movie is supposed to have some changes and a different ending anyway (and I don't know what they are), so there will still be some surprises. And if it sucks, then there's always the hope that the Director's Cut with the Tales of the Black Freighter added will make up for the theatrical version.

Edited by VT 1010

I believe Zack Snyder will be very faithful in his adaption

I am optimistic about the Watchmen movie because Zack Snyder is involved. He tried very hard to stay faithful to the graphic novel for 300. It was important for him to get it right. This was based on the interviews I had watched from the 300 DVD extras. I believe he will bring this same effort to Watchmen.