What Current Anime Series Are You Watching? v2.0

Duke Togo

A rare talent indeed. Something many US TV shows direly lack. Wait. Do we still have TV shows? Or just the "reality tv" crap. You know it's real when they have 30 staff writers working on the show. I don't know about you, but I have 30 people working for me. They're all physics and write down what's going to happen to me before I even do it. I also have producers telling me who I am going to like and get into fights with. Cause, you know, that stuff is all real. Did I just get on the soapbox? Yes. I did.

Is the word you're looking for "psychics", by any chance?

Darker than Black 2

Umineko no Naku Koro ni

Toaru Kagaku no Railgun

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

Pretty much the only four series I pay attention to this season.

Also, I found this on Sankaku Complex. I thought it's a neat short anime. Very well animated, almost akin to Western animation (What comes to mind is Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Space Jam, I guess Nocturna as well).

There's an official site too.

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Tete/

Edited by shiroikaze

I'd like to ask if anyone here has seen Strike Witches?

Season 2 is apparently coming soon and I read somewhere that it's supposedly a very good anime. I find the girl attractive except for their legs, although having learned that those things are removable was a relief...

I read the wiki entry and it sound interesting, but then again Gundam OO sounded interesting too and I only got through 5 episodes of that...

Err...so...anybody seen Strike Witches? Is it worth watching?

Pete

Season 2 is apparently coming soon and I read somewhere that it's supposedly a very good anime. I find the girl attractive except for their legs, although having learned that those things are removable was a relief...

I read the wiki entry and it sound interesting, but then again Gundam OO sounded interesting too and I only got through 5 episodes of that...

Pete

Haven't seen it, but for you I actually reccomend picking up "GIANT ROBO: THE ANIMATION - THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL," easily the single best OVA series of the 90's, and now released in an insanely cheap set complete with GinRei special.

Pete

I saw part of the original one-shot OVA. From what I've heard, it was all downhill from there.

Seriously, you've heard something GOOD about Strike Witches?

Seriously, you've heard something GOOD about Strike Witches?

Well, yes. According to some people who I usually trust about this kind of stuff, season 2 is supposed to be one of the best anime in 2010... then again, there doesn't seem to be much merchandise, and usually if something is at least popular, then there's more than just some pretty statues... mind you, it might of course be great and not popular... but...I was just curious.

I'm not especially interested, although the "alternative" WWII layout, and the idea of large continents being underwater and therefore the map of the globe looking different, and the asbolute utter craziness of the concept that girls who grow cat and bunny ears and tails in mini skirts can then carry big guns and fly sounded so amazingly ridiculous that I started becoming curious --- that maybe if they pulled it off well then it would be fun and worth seeing?

After all, I reminded myself that when I first saw the Gurren Lagann mecha, I thought it was a) and ugly twisted crappy thing, and then when I realized it had a face on its chest, I thought b) why does it have a face on its' chest? Is it like the Brave series where they randomly have animal heads on their chests even if they turn into trucks and planes?

And now I'm a Gurren Lagann love-nut-freak.

So...I wondered if maybe I wasn't reacting to Strike Witches the same way and missing out on something great... I tend to do that..."bleeh! that's ugly" and then it turns out I was a fool.

So I didn't want to miss out.

Haven't seen it, but for you I actually reccomend picking up "GIANT ROBO: THE ANIMATION - THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL," easily the single best OVA series of the 90's, and now released in an insanely cheap set complete with GinRei special.

Since you recomend it, I'll try and check it out. I guess I should technically also watch Galaxy Express 999 given what you said about one scene... :)

Thanks

Pete

I'm watching quite a lot from the new season as always. Really do have to much free time on my hands.

11eyes - The Persona 3 show.

Asura Cryin' 2 - It's a lot better then the first season, and i don't even know why.

Darker than Black 2 - It's really good! Nothing compared to the first season yet, though it could do the job.

Dragonball Kai - This show is such a blast to watch.

Fairy Tail - It's portraying the humor from the manga nicely, which is good because the humor is my favorite part. Aye!

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Been on quite a good role recently, though they missed up with episode 30. No surprise when you try to animate four chapters in one episode.

Hetalia Axis Powers - Has it's really funny moments. Shame it's not like that all the time.

Kampfer - A silly show, though fun to watch each week.

Kimi ni Todoke - Best show of the season.

Kobato - Looks like it's basically it's own project, and will just borrow stuff from the manga from time to time. I'm happy with that.

Letter Bee - Great adaptation of the manga, and going at a pace that matches the pretty long chapter lengths.

Natsu no Arashi 2 - I like how there's really no drama this time compared to the first season, though i'm waiting for it to suddenly appear.

Needless - Still the show i seem to be enjoying the most each week. It never disappoints.

Nogizaka Haruka 2 - In a way i don't care that much for this show, though i've seen the first season and it's on CR, so i might as well watch.

Nyan Koi - Best comedy of the season, hands down. This show does everything right.

Queen's Blade 2 - This is what i wanted the second season to be like, so i'm enjoying it quite a bit.

Sasameki Koto - Another good adaptation of the source material. Enjoying this plenty.

Seiken no Blacksmith - My worries after the first episode quickly disappeared, plus i just love the setting. Good show.

Seitokai no Ichizon - Worth watching for Ken alone.

Shin Koihime Musou - It's fun just like the first season, though this time there's a lot more eechi related jokes, which are of course fun.

Sora no Otoshimono - This is the anything can happen show. I'm really glad it hasn't disappointed me at all in that regard.

Tentai Sensei Sunred 2 - Subs are slow as expected. Still, it's so much fun to watch.

The Book of Bantorra - Good prologue, and episode five was a lot of fun. Can't wait to see more of this.

Toaru Kagaku no Railgun - Very enjoyable, with a great cast. No complaints at all.

Umineko no Naku Koro ni - i just love how this show seems to get more over the top as episodes go by, and there doesn't seem to be any end to that.

White Album 2 - Oh how i love juicy 80s drama. Especially with this level of pacing.

What are the best parts of Patlabor? Don't have too much free time so I want to be a bit selective. In all these years I've only seen the movies. Don't know if I should see the fist OVA, the second one or the TV series.

Patlabor is something I need to get around to as well...

That said - just to follow up on JBO and Keith's advice....

Today, I have about 20 minutes to myself in the car before a class, so I go onto youtube on my mobile phone and checked out the first 10 minutes of episode 1 of Strike witches and the first 10 minutes of episode 1 of Galaxy Express 999.

You can probably guess I'll be eagerly downloading the latter.

Strike Witches didn't look all that bad - although it was a bit bizarre just how many panty shots they had. In fact, more crazy than the panty shots was that EVERYONE appears to wear panties without skirts - that is - everyone who is female. And it's just kind of the trendy thing to do apparently. If you're a girl, you just wear panties - no skirt, no pants, just skimpy tight panties...

The battle scene with the Mugan-look-alike was well done. Great sound effects, great angles (and I'm not just talking about the panty shots), and generally ok.

The witchcraft thing bothers me more than the panties. I guess it shouldn't since I'm not bothered by super robots, which are just pretty much the same principle.... But it still bothers me a bit, because I always find explicit witchcraft to be a cop out. That girl was bleeding and very wounded and then a blue light appears and hey presto she's cured.

And I would guess that the witch powers only come when there is deep emotional concern?

I dunno..since it was on my mobile phone, the subs were a little small for me to catch them all.

I will probably watch this series eventually - especially if Figma or Kaiyodo come out with some Strike Witches. Over all - I like it.

However...

Galaxy Express 999 was just beautiful. I only saw the opening 10 minutes - but it is so delightful. The music, the sweeping galactic scope, the melancholy narration at the opening, it's so brooding, so 80s techno-punk... it's awesome.

So I guess those are the two anime I'll be watching next.

Pete

Patlabor is something I need to get around to as well...

That said - just to follow up on JBO and Keith's advice....

Today, I have about 20 minutes to myself in the car before a class, so I go onto youtube on my mobile phone and checked out the first 10 minutes of episode 1 of Strike witches and the first 10 minutes of episode 1 of Galaxy Express 999.

You can probably guess I'll be eagerly downloading the latter.

Strike Witches didn't look all that bad - although it was a bit bizarre just how many panty shots they had. In fact, more crazy than the panty shots was that EVERYONE appears to wear panties without skirts - that is - everyone who is female. And it's just kind of the trendy thing to do apparently. If you're a girl, you just wear panties - no skirt, no pants, just skimpy tight panties...

[...]

That's really what a simple ecchi/fanservice series like strike witches is about, panties and embarassing situations. I'd be worried if a classic like galaxy express999 wouldn't have a bit more to offer.

Let me add a suggestion for your to watch list. Spice and Wolf, a rather unconventional anime about the travels of a merchant and a wolf god(who happens to look like, and is, a fox). Together they journey from town to town trying to make a profit, while musing about business and human nature. The girl, Holo, is one of the most sophisticated and well rounded characters I have seen in anime sofar.

Let me add a suggestion for your to watch list. Spice and Wolf, a rather unconventional anime about the travels of a merchant and a wolf god(who happens to look like, and is, a fox). Together they journey from town to town trying to make a profit, while musing about business and human nature. The girl, Holo, is one of the most sophisticated and well rounded characters I have seen in anime sofar.

I caught an episode of that on TV in Japan in January 2008, soon after it started airing. Made me do a double take for DAMN sure.

You guys are making it hard for me to watch lolis with panties shooting machines guns, what with all your high minded suggestions...

I'll look into it, but for now I have a feeling I better focus on Galaxy Express 999 ....

Pete

I have never watched Sky Girls or any of the other Moe-Anthopomorphism related animes (though I find the whole genre amusing),

but.... my favorite is Charlotte Yeager :p

51303.jpg

My updated anime-list (pretty much unchanged):

Kämpfer

Kobato

Railgun

Kämpfer is the greatest show for this fall imo. I think that if anime is degenerating into one extended fan-service/moe cesspool it might as well go all the way which is what this show is about: light on plot, light on character development.

As for Railgun, biribiri is awesome XD. She is quickly overtaking Tohsaka Rin as my favorite tsundere.

Edited by Ghost Train

My updated anime-list (pretty much unchanged):

Kämpfer

Kobato

Railgun

Kämpfer is the greatest show for this fall imo. I think that if anime is degenerating into one extended fan-service/moe cesspool it might as well go all the way which is what this show is about: light on plot, light on character development.

I'm afraid I have to agree on Kämpfer :wacko: . This show pretty much defines everything that is wrong with anime at the moment, it has absolutely no right to be so damned entertaining... <_<

I'd also recommend Spice and Wolf. It's worth it alone for the outstanding interaction scenes between the main characters, Horo and Lawrence.

Unfortunately (like always), the second season's ending leaves more to be desired...

I have never watched Sky Girls or any of the other Moe-Anthopomorphism related animes (though I find the whole genre amusing),

As for Railgun, biribiri is awesome XD.

I need to watch Sky Girls too, I want to see what's the fuss all about.

Also, Touma makes every episode epic.

Streaming meeming - I'm still gonna download if I can. Will start on Thursday and get as much as possible of it and marathon away. I really did like what I saw on my phone. Great music, great look... the android/robot people (at least I think that's what they are...I was watching on my cell phone so can't be sure) are creepy and intriguing at the same time. The Wanted Captain Harlock poster...

The only thing that dissapoints me is the lack of toys for this series. I know that there are model trains for the Galaxy Express and some space ships... but I am sad that there are no figures (poseable).

Then again - there are like NEVER any poseable figures. It's like mecha sells well, but people don't...?

Thank god Haruhi at least has poseable figures. I don't know if I'd be able to continue living if it weren't for all the lovely figmas! They're so cute! :)

Now if only Strike Witches could get the Figma or Revoltech treatment....

Pete

Currently going through a " I have to watch everything Gainax has ever made" phase. I'm goin backwards in time so I finally got my hands on Nadia, Secret of Blue Water. For children mostly, but its fun to see the stuff that Hideaki Anno did before having severe mental issues (oh and his last work before Evangelion!).

By the way, has anyone noticed that captain Nemo in Nadia looks exactly like Captain Gloval?? I mean even the uniform is similar.

Currently going through a " I have to watch everything Gainax has ever made" phase. I'm goin backwards in time so I finally got my hands on Nadia, Secret of Blue Water. For children mostly, but its fun to see the stuff that Hideaki Anno did before having severe mental issues (oh and his last work before Evangelion!).

By the way, has anyone noticed that captain Nemo in Nadia looks exactly like Captain Gloval?? I mean even the uniform is similar.

You sir are so late I'm surprised you caught that train! Nadia is a masterwork series, hampered by network tampering. Just keep in mind, that Anno did not do the majority of those island episodes, or either of the Africa episodes. In fact, he walked out on the production when the staff was forced to lengthen the series run. Just remember, "it will get super freakin' awesome again" for the epic final arc. And under no circumstances should you attempt to be a hero, DO "N-O-T" attempt to watch the Nadia movie. You have been warned, and if you ignore my warning, you are taking your life into your own hands.

But while you're catching up on Gainax, don't forget:

-Gunbuster

-Diebuster

-Royal Space Force Wings of Honneamise

-Kare Kano

-Mahoromatic

-Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi

-He Is My Master

-Shikabane Hime (streaming up at funimation.com, why won't they release that damn series already)

-Tengen Toppa GURREN FREAKIN' LAGANN!!

-Cutie Honey (Live Action movie)

-Re: Cutie Honey

And of course even the not so epic works are worth checking out

-Meldoy of Oblivion

-This Ugly Yet Beautiful World

In fact, the only Gainax works I can think of that I haven't seen, are Blazing Transfer Student, and Ebichu.

You sir are so late I'm surprised you caught that train! Nadia is a masterwork series, hampered by network tampering. Just keep in mind, that Anno did not do the majority of those island episodes, or either of the Africa episodes. In fact, he walked out on the production when the staff was forced to lengthen the series run. Just remember, "it will get super freakin' awesome again" for the epic final arc. And under no circumstances should you attempt to be a hero, DO "N-O-T" attempt to watch the Nadia movie. You have been warned, and if you ignore my warning, you are taking your life into your own hands.

But while you're catching up on Gainax, don't forget:

-Gunbuster

-Diebuster

-Royal Space Force Wings of Honneamise

-Kare Kano

-Mahoromatic

-Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi

-He Is My Master

-Shikabane Hime (streaming up at funimation.com, why won't they release that damn series already)

-Tengen Toppa GURREN FREAKIN' LAGANN!!

-Cutie Honey (Live Action movie)

-Re: Cutie Honey

And of course even the not so epic works are worth checking out

-Meldoy of Oblivion

-This Ugly Yet Beautiful World

In fact, the only Gainax works I can think of that I haven't seen, are Blazing Transfer Student, and Ebichu.

Have already watched Gunbuster twice (masterpiece!), Diebuster, Wings of Honneamise, Kare Kano (unique in a very good way!), Mahoromatic (what a strange ending), This Ugly but Beautiful World (underwhelming)...and even Ebichu (very funny!)

Gurren Laggan is definitely next on my list!

Shikabane Hime will follow that

Thanks for your recommendations.

And yes, I'll avoid heroics aka Nadia the Movie

Darker than Black 2

Umineko no Naku Koro ni

Toaru Kagaku no Railgun

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

Pretty much the only four series I pay attention to this season.

Also, I found this on Sankaku Complex. I thought it's a neat short anime. Very well animated, almost akin to Western animation (What comes to mind is Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Space Jam, I guess Nocturna as well).

There's an official site too.

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Tete/

OMG i cant talk i was coughing so much with laughter. That short was great PURE JOY!

Help :(

How many episodes does Galaxy Express 999 have, why is there one series that starts at episode 19, and is Captain Harlock a spin off? I want to start with the episode that I saw on Youtube where the kids are on their skateboards and they steal that one lady's ticket and that dude sees a girl who he thinks is his mom....

Looks like I'll have to wait 'till Saturday to download this since I need to know WHAT to download first.

For now I guess I'll take in some Macross 7 just to be ahead of the curve :)

Pete

Galaxy Express is about 113 episodes, which is why I'd actually reccomend going for the movies first.

-Galaxy Express 999

-Adeiu Galaxy Express 999: Final Station Andromeda

Right up there with the finest of movie versions of TV shows, all 100% new animation to boot.

As for Harlock, there were at least 2 seriess around 40-43 episodes each I believe.

-Space Pirate Captain Harlock

-Harlock SSX

And hten of course the movies & OVA's

-Arcadia of My Youth

-Endless Odyssey

-Harlock Saga: The Ring of Nibelung

-Gun Frontier (suedo prequel done in the old west).

As well as several crossover stories/series/OVA's that branch between the two general storeis:

-Galaxy Express: Eternal Fantasy

-Cosmo Warrior Zero (the story of Tetsuro's father during the fall of humanity to the machien empire)

-Maetel Legend

-Maetel Symphony

-Queen Millenium (the birth of the machine empire).

-Galaxy Railways

And so on. Matsumoto's got a very interesting take on the concept of canon. Which is to say, he could give less of a crap about actual continuity between series, even between different verisons of the same series. But he loves having his characters connect through the shows. Kinda hard to explain, but it's a lot more nebulous, and a lot more whimsical than Kawamori's style of canon.

But like I said, a great place to start iwth is with the 999 movies.

Thank you. Since I don't torrent, and my usual source doesn't seem to have the hundred something episode long series, then I'll go for the movies. I did that for Ideon though, and I admit it was a bit confusing since things start out kind of En Medias Rex and I have the feeling I missed lots of interesting stuff..DYRL does the same actually. But ok - guess it's the best I can do for now.

Pete

What is the appeal of Neon Genesis Evangelion?

I always avoided it and recently decided to sit down and finally watch the show. I am 20 episodes in and I still don´t get it.

I don't like the design of the EVA's. Angels look silly and the characters are boring.

Also, after watching 20 episodes, I shouldn't still have a million questions about everything and everybody.

I can't imagine there is a pay off.

What is the appeal of Neon Genesis Evangelion?

I always avoided it and recently decided to sit down and finally watch the show. I am 20 episodes in and I still don´t get it.

I don't like the design of the EVA's. Angels look silly and the characters are boring.

Also, after watching 20 episodes, I shouldn't still have a million questions about everything and everybody.

I can't imagine there is a pay off.

Stop watching now. If the whole Fourth Child section (and Eva-01 running wild in episode 19) didn't wow you, it's clearly not your thing, and you'll absolutely hate the ending.

I found it enthralling from the get-go; but I like weird, confusing stories with puzzle pieces all over the place. :)