What Current Anime Series Are You Watching? v2.0

Duke Togo

Code Geass' first season was great; the second season was too, but in the totally opposite way...

Began watching Geneshaftyesterday : the setting is interesting and the various designs work well together despite their dissimilarities; otherwise it looks like some sort of Gunbuster clone as far as characters are concerned.... Fortunately, it is just 13 eps long: it hasn't really started yet (4 eps in) and if it appears being bad, I'll have finished soon anyway

Code Geass' first season was great; the second season was too, but in the totally opposite way...

Yes, first season was awesome indeed, the second season was not so great, but considering the situation (3rd season cancellation and such) it turned out to be not a total disaster IMO, and it also ends quite well.

Just watched Kurozuka up to ep 4, really good stuff. Also started Real Drive, I'm not much into ocean or diving, so it turned out to be quite boring for me.

Another positive vote for Code Geass.

Like Ghost Train said S1 is a bit better than S2, but overall I love this show. It was quite tense at times.

Also I think this is a million times better than Gurren Lagaan. The hyperbole praise for that show is absolutely ridiculous.

I'm watching Planetes. I'm 10 episodes in.

They've really shown their work with this one. It's probably the mot realistic space-based scifi show I've ever seen.

Plus I quite like the way, so far, the universe's depth is being introduced. the focus is almost entirely on the character's daily lives but you get the outer world worming it's way in like the terrorist training/preparation and stuff.

Also: YUUKI!!!!! TM8.0 you are mean.

Over the last year, I've been intro'ing my g.f. to anime. She is in love with The Slayers and cant wait for the fourth series to come through over here. She liked Hellsing. Right now were watching Bubblegum Crisis. She doesnt like the subtitled, but prefers the dubbed (i dont like the dubbed voices, wish they had done better than to have had the actors not all on hardocreanti-depressants {zombie like voice acting}, but she doesnt like subtitled so oh well).

Looks like you'll be waiting a long time, because it would probably be a cold day in hell when the fourth series is released on DVD (we have both the original series and Next; have yet to get Try). I didn't know there was a fourth season.

Still watching Mobile Suit Gundam. After watching 35 episodes, I can see why this show was originally set to be canceled after episode 39. Man, those first 30 were... hmm... how to describe them... flat. While I understand that Tomino was trying to portray war as not exciting and horrific; it is difficult to be engaged when you are really indifferent to the plot and characters.

It does start to pick up again after episode 30, but I can see why this would have been too late to save the show. With Tomino and Co having been succesful in getting a 4 episode extension, I can imagine that Eps 40-43 will probably move along much faster than the others, but we'll see...

Still watching Mobile Suit Gundam. After watching 35 episodes, I can see why this show was originally set to be canceled after episode 39. Man, those first 30 were... hmm... how to describe them... flat. While I understand that Tomino was trying to portray war as not exciting and horrific; it is difficult to be engaged when you are really indifferent to the plot and characters.

It does start to pick up again after episode 30, but I can see why this would have been too late to save the show. With Tomino and Co having been succesful in getting a 4 episode extension, I can imagine that Eps 40-43 will probably move along much faster than the others, but we'll see...

Those last four episodes are consistently voted by Gundam fans as among the best in the series...and I happen to agree. ^_^

That said, I never found the series flat. Bleak, yes. Of uneven quality, yes. But, although it sagged a little in the middle, I never thought it less than interesting.

As a matter of fact, that is in my queue for my next Netflix rental. I just finished watching the revenge trilogy, and my favorite out of the three was Old Boy. The ending was kind of messed up though. If I had found out what he did, I would have killed myself.

Old Boy = Probably my favorite fight scene of all time.

That one-take fight scene in the hallway where he takes on like 20 goons in a battle of attrition.

Looks like you'll be waiting a long time, because it would probably be a cold day in hell when the fourth series is released on DVD (we have both the original series and Next; have yet to get Try). I didn't know there was a fourth season.

There is a fourth (Slayers- Revolution) and a fifth (name eludes me at the moment). You Tube has the direct japanese episodes to see, but it doesnt equall being abletowatch it at will in home fully produced.

There is a fourth (Slayers- Revolution) and a fifth (name eludes me at the moment). You Tube has the direct japanese episodes to see, but it doesnt equall being abletowatch it at will in home fully produced.

One thing I can say about Gourry, that man is not as stupid as most people make him out to be. That is one man I certainly don't want to play chess against, beause he might just kick my ass. He just plays at being dumb.

I hope that Lina finally gets hooked up with that blonde swordsman, because their little romance was getting good.

Yes, first season was awesome indeed, the second season was not so great, but considering the situation (3rd season cancellation and such) it turned out to be not a total disaster IMO, and it also ends quite well.

You mean, it was supposed to have a 3rd season? hard to imagine, since i felt they already stretched the concept as far as they could in S2. but in any case, they sure came up with a brilliant ending, one of my all-time favorites.

One thing I can say about Gourry, that man is not as stupid as most people make him out to be. That is one man I certainly don't want to play chess against, beause he might just kick my ass. He just plays at being dumb.

I hope that Lina finally gets hooked up with that blonde swordsman, because their little romance was getting good.

Apparantly , fourth season has a side plot of the team trying to get a replaement sword for Gourry, he gets in a depressed funk many times about his sword.

You mean, it was supposed to have a 3rd season? hard to imagine, since i felt they already stretched the concept as far as they could in S2. but in any case, they sure came up with a brilliant ending, one of my all-time favorites.

The third series box set was entitled "Try", and was released in the States.

What are you talking about? A third season? THERE IS NO THIRD SEASON!!

There are three Slayers DVD Boxed sets that were released here in the States (all of which were aired on International Channel in Japanese years ago).

• The Slayers
  • The Slayers Next
  • The Slayers Try

(Gourry returns the Sword of Light to the interdimentional beings who created it at the end of Try)

Trust me, I've seen the Try boxed set years ago at a GameStop.

There are three Slayers DVD Boxed sets that were released here in the States (all of which were aired on International Channel in Japanese years ago).

• The Slayers
  • The Slayers Next
  • The Slayers Try

(Gourry returns the Sword of Light to the interdimentional beings who created it at the end of Try)

Trust me, I've seen the Try boxed set years ago at a GameStop.

Please follow along with the progression here:

This was Gui's post:

Zar's response:

dreamweaver13's response

They're talking about Code Geass. Who said anything about Slayers...? :wacko:

Edited by Gubaba

me and my little sister just finished MEGAZONE 23 p.1 (good stuff!!) and soon the whole family is going to get together for the full run of VANDREAD. glad i have such a fantastic DVD player to handily manage all this:

PIONEER DV-09 REFERENCE DVD PLAYER (1998)

DV-09MacGyver06-16-09.jpg

DSCF1959.jpg

DV-0912.jpg

Gasaraki was interesting (but slow as all hell) right up until the end when it totally fell apart with it's slapdash ending. Definately didn't hold up to the much superior Votoms, or Blue Gender.

Edited by Keith

Finished Mobile Suit Gundam last week.

Brief opinion:

Episode 1-30: I know that I said that the first 30 episodes were slow and I stand by that.

Episodes 31-43: If the entire series had been at this level, I might really consider it one of the best series ever. What a turnaround. The last 4 especially were good, almost approaching theatrical quality story telling at times. Good stuff

Next up: Going with a current series that just wrapped up: Haruhi Suzumiya 2.

This is why Tomino's Gundam Movie Trilogy is one of the few re-used animation with minimal new animation movie compilations that actually works. He knew he was forced to compromise with the TV story, and streamlined it into awesome for the movies.

Gasaraki was interesting (but slow as all hell) right up until the end when it totally fell apart with it's slapdash ending. Definately didn't hold up to the much superior Votoms, or Blue Gender.

It's a valid argument if you take into account the "realism" of the mecha designs only, but once you compare this point with the "unrealism" of the various iterations of magic present in the show (reincarnation, demon statue, etc), it takes a completeley different meaning: all this magic is actually a reminiscence of the traditional japanese culture– particularly shintoism – when the hyperrealistic mecha designs represent the opposite of magic and tradition, which is science and modernism, these inheritances of the american culture that japanese have had – and will probably keep having for a moment – some difficulties to handle properly; Tomino evoked this, very briefly, in his recent press conference whose a report is available at ANN

In the end, Gasaraki is a great portray of the main conflict which still tears down contemporary Japan, often showed as "between tradition and modernity" when it is actually closer to some sort of schizophrenia: the realism of the mechas in Gasaraki serves a completely and far deeper purpose than in any of these shows which use realism only for the purpose of realism

I agree the very last episode was useless though, at least a bit...

It's a valid argument if you take into account the "realism" of the mecha designs only, but once you compare this point with the "unrealism" of the various iterations of magic present in the show (reincarnation, demon statue, etc), it takes a completeley different meaning: all this magic is actually a reminiscence of the traditional japanese culture– particularly shintoism – when the hyperrealistic mecha designs represent the opposite of magic and tradition, which is science and modernism, these inheritances of the american culture that japanese have had – and will probably keep having for a moment – some difficulties to handle properly; Tomino evoked this, very briefly, in his recent press conference whose a report is available at ANN

In the end, Gasaraki is a great portray of the main conflict which still tears down contemporary Japan, often showed as "between tradition and modernity" when it is actually closer to some sort of schizophrenia: the realism of the mechas in Gasaraki serves a completely and far deeper purpose than in any of these shows which use realism only for the purpose of realism

I agree the very last episode was useless though, at least a bit...

I didn't mind the magic or re-incarnation, I didn't mind the mecha, and I actually really wanted to like the show. But borring plus a totally non-rewarding ending = fail!

Another positive vote for Code Geass. Like Ghost Train said S1 is a bit better than S2, but overall I love this show. It was quite tense at times.

Also I think this is a million times better than Gurren Lagaan. The hyperbole praise for that show is absolutely ridiculous.

A normal man would look at that post and respond: "Well - I guess I'm just going to have to go watch Code Geass then.

But I say - I'M GONNA GO WATCH GURREN LAGANN FOR THE ONE THOUSAND AND ONE-TH TIME! :)

Those last four episodes are consistently voted by Gundam fans as among the best in the series...and I happen to agree. ^_^

That said, I never found the series flat. Bleak, yes. Of uneven quality, yes. But, although it sagged a little in the middle, I never thought it less than interesting.

Strangely enough, I LOVED those bleak middle episodes - they were the best that the series had to offer, and something I find sorely missing in the other Gundam offerings I've seen. I loved when they detoured to go look for salt. I loved the grind of the episodes - how they had to fight for every inch, and how things went at such a snails pace and how there was so much uncertainty. And while I didn't exactly love Ramble Rah and Hamon, they weren't the worse antagonists in the world either.

The final episodes, in contrast, are too predictable. It's just a big battle. The White Base is no longer solo - but just part of a bigger group, and the focus is less on the individuals and more on the overall histoy and the Newtypes.

This is stuff that actually could be completed in one episode. Bang bang. Boom boom. Fight fight.

The only reason it's remotely interesting is that I hope the last episode resolves Charr/Saylia's arc.

Amuro is boring - I agree. But that is consistent about him in all of the episodes. And besides, Sayla herself says towards the end that Amuro is "pretty conservative and sentimental" - aka boring.

So at least Tomino is consistent in terms of giving us a character who is explicitly this way.

Oh - and remember -Amuro also doesn't shower regularly and tends not to use deodorant. He's only interested in his Gundam. Seeing Matilda was probably the first time he considered that maybe it would help to shower once in a while - but then she died and the thought of showering perished.

Watching gurren lagann again... still hate Rossiu. Simon should have pulled an adama and shot him and all the other coward traitors.

Rossiu is not easy to like - but if he'd been shot and treated as a traitor - then Simon would just have done what all revolutionaries (including Rossiu) end up doing - becoming part of the establishment in essence - changing only the outer decorations/forms but essentially just becoming another typical government.

The path Simon chose was to remain true to himself - which is a path that is anti-political and actually much easier because it is more natural.

Rossiu's path is less natural and more a necessity - and a very difficult one.

I have sympathy for Rossiu because, like his father the Priest, he chose a path that is the most dangerous and sad one possible.

I agree that it wasn't the right path - but I understand his motives....

Good thing for him he had a pal like Simon to help him get on the right path :)

What are you talking about? A third season? THERE IS NO THIRD SEASON!!

That's so not true. There were like FOUR seasons of Teenage Mutant Ninja turtles.

Wait.

What are you talking about again?

Pete