What Current Anime Series Are You Watching? v2.0

Duke Togo

(1)Gettin' a distinct impression that you've never actually SEEN Neon Genesis Evangelion... the EVAs were designed to fight the Angels, not human militaries. The Angels don't exactly use conventional tactics, nor are they generally suited to them. (2) As you'd see if you watched End of Evangelion, even using the strongest available non-nuclear ordinance (the N2 mine) is no guarantee of doing more than annoying the EVA's operator.

Mobile Police Patlabor? Good stuff, seriously good stuff. I was introduced to the series by Talos, and I thought most of it was pretty good, with the exception of their strange tendency to reuse the "science creates monster. monster breaks out of lab and starts eating labors" plot, which they use I think three times between the OVA, TV show, and the third movie.

I just got done with a binge of comedy-tinted robot shows and some romance comedies... most of them did not thrill me. I gave Martian Successor Nadesico a go (since I missed it back in the day), and it did not thrill me for some reason, the business with that cross between Mazinger Z, Combattler V, and Getter Robo was kind of a pointless bit of camp to me. Super Heavy God Gravion didn't wow me either, and Maburaho (which a friend of mine swore up and down I would find hilarious) was so painfully bad I stopped halfway through the series when the harem comedy protagonist DIED for an incredibly stupid reason and came back as a ghost.

Going back to classics with some good ol' fashioned Lupin III series 1.

(1) You got me there, I bailed right after

NERV sabotaged the United States nuclear fission answer to the Angel threat.

I couldn't remember if the EVAs had a 5 minute reserve power supply or just 1 minute, so I went with the one minute.

(2) Non nuclear? I was thinking on giving it a low-yield nuclear warhead enema using the Metal Gear Rex's magnetic linear accellerator. :ph34r:

Edited by Wanzerfan

(1) You got me there, I bailed right after

NERV sabotaged the United States nuclear fission answer to the Angel threat.

I couldn't remember if the EVAs had a 5 minute reserve power supply or just 1 minute, so I went with the one minute.

??????

What on earth are you talking about? The United States made Eva Units 3 and 4, but that was WAY later in the series.

Oh, as Seto mentions (correctly) that the N2 mine is non-nuclear, but he fails to mention it's stronger than any nuclear bomb. Nuclear weapons do nothing against an Eva.

Edited by Gubaba

??????

What on earth are you talking about? The United States made Eva Units 3 and 4, but that was WAY later in the series.

I thought the United States manufactured the giant mech that the brunette (I can't for the life of me remember her name) had to diffuse because the control rods went out of whack), It could've been some other country. The damned thing looked huge because the reactor.

What on earth are you talking about?

He's talking about the private company that built the giant robot that ran on nuclear fission. The big white one that went berzerk per Gendo's sabatoge, and to which the pass code was "hope."

He's just apparently confusing the private company that produced it with "The United States."

Pete

He's talking about the private company that built the giant robot that ran on nuclear fission. The big white one that went berzerk per Gendo's sabatoge, and to which the pass code was "hope."

He's just apparently confusing the private company that produced it with "The United States."

Pete

I'm going to give a quote here, from our favorite villian.

"Got it in one, Mr. Gerabaldi."

Yeah, the military uniforms in the episode threw me there.

Yeah, the military uniforms in the episode threw me there.

Now I'm gonna quote our favorite brown mop with a rat tale and little rat legs who also has a side gig as an extremely likeable human being responsible for translating arcane Japanese anime-novels, manga and other treasures for the benefit of we the humble hoi polloi:

"What on Earth are you talking about?" :lol:

What military uniforms? Even if you interpreted their lab clothes to be military uniforms - they certainly weren't standard issue US Military uniforms :lol:

Pete

Now I'm gonna quote our favorite brown mop with a rat tale and little rat legs who also has a side gig as an extremely likeable human being responsible for translating arcane Japanese anime-novels, manga and other treasures for the benefit of we the humble hoi polloi:

"What on Earth are you talking about?" :lol:

What military uniforms? Even if you interpreted their lab clothes to be military uniforms - they certainly weren't standard issue US Military uniforms :lol:

Pete

Y'know, I could scrounge around for screenshots of the episode to figure out what Wanzerfan is talking about, but I'm sick of cleaning up his information messes for him. And he should be sick of other people cleaning his messes as well, but he's clearly not. :huh:<_<:angry:

Maybe I'll just put a line in my sig saying, "If Wanzerfan says it, it's probably wrong," and just leave it at that. B))

AAAAAAAAAAAAAwwwwwwwwwwww........... yer being a meenie again Gubaba! :) Wanzerfan is fun :) I love his total knack for seeing black where there is white, night where there is day etc etc :)

Besides - HE knows certain things we don't - like about some kind of melons that can't get married or something. So it evens out :lol:

EDIT: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...st&p=810865

Ok...Guess not :lol:

Pete

Edited by VFTF1

AAAAAAAAAAAAAwwwwwwwwwwww........... yer being a meenie again Gubaba! :) Wanzerfan is fun :) I love his total knack for seeing black where there is white, night where there is day etc etc :)

Besides - HE knows certain things we don't - like about some kind of melons that can't get married or something. So it evens out :lol:

Pete

:lol:

I'll admit, he has a breathtaking knack for confusion. :p

Thanx Robelwell202.

Just checked out info on "08th MS Team",looks like my kind of thing,and ordered the ova complete collection,love the look of the mecha and the fact that it,s earth bound CAN,T WAIT!!! love those old skool chunky mecha!.

Just finished watching Mobile Police Patlabor, the original 7 episode OVA...

It just reminded me why I fell in love with anime... and totally surprised me. I mean its the first time in my life that I felt like putting "funny" and "Mamoru Oshii" in the same sentence. I didn't think the man was capable of humour. I was totally wrong. Every episode had at least one laugh out loud moment. And while it has some nice mecha, they aren't really the main focus of the show..just a vehicle.

I'm now very unsure on whether to watch Legends of Galactic Heroes Gaiden Spiral Labyrinth. The reason I'm unsure, is because I'm one of those people who holds Legend of Galactic Heroes high on a pedestal and believes it to be one of the finest series ever (of any medium!). Hence I'm a bit unsure on whether to sully my memories of LOGH with a related product not quite of the same calibre...

Thoughts anyone??

Just one last comment about Mobile Police Patlabor. All the time while listening to the opening theme I kept on thinking: "Where have I heard that voice before?? I know it from somewhere"

I checked ANN and found out that the theme song is sung by none other than Hiroko Kasahara, Ishtar's voice...

Oh, yeah... it sounds like he meant Jet Alone, which was developed by a private corporation for the Japanese gov't as a competitor/replacement for incredibly expensive-to-maintain EVA units which made its first and only appearance in the 7th episode of the Neon Genesis Evangelion TV series. I think there was actually a second Jet Alone unit that showed up during one of the visual novels or games. I've got no idea how Wanzerfan came to believe it belonged to the US military.

I checked ANN and found out that the theme song is sung by none other than Hiroko Kasahara, Ishtar's voice...

Really? I thought she sounded familiar, though I never had the presence of mind to actually sit through the credits to see who was singing. I was always skipping them to get to the next episode.

I'm almost done watching the original 1971 Lupin III TV series. I was kind of leery about the idea of watching a show so old, but it's surprisingly well executed, despite the kind of campy theme music and the atrocious animation in the OP, and is still quite an enjoyable show. The episode titles aren't quite as pun-laden as the second series, but I'm getting to that one next.

Really? I thought she sounded familiar, though I never had the presence of mind to actually sit through the credits to see who was singing. I was always skipping them to get to the next episode.

I'm almost done watching the original 1971 Lupin III TV series. I was kind of leery about the idea of watching a show so old, but it's surprisingly well executed, despite the kind of campy theme music and the atrocious animation in the OP, and is still quite an enjoyable show. The episode titles aren't quite as pun-laden as the second series, but I'm getting to that one next.

a) The credits almost always contain at least one..."I can't believe she/he is in this one too!!"

b) I'll have to come round to watching the Lupin III series one day. It's actually one of the few old series that you can get easily over here...

Thanx Robelwell202.

Just checked out info on "08th MS Team",looks like my kind of thing,and ordered the ova complete collection,love the look of the mecha and the fact that it,s earth bound CAN,T WAIT!!! love those old skool chunky mecha!.

Glad I could help.

I'm a relative NOOB when it comes to Gundam. I was refered to 08th MS Team by a couple people who shall remain nameless (Seto and Talos), because I like Destroid Tomahawks, and these folks said "Hey, you wanna see some damn good ground-combat anime? Watch this!'

I was hooked by the second Ep. :D

Oh, yeah... it sounds like he meant Jet Alone, which was developed by a private corporation for the Japanese gov't as a competitor/replacement for incredibly expensive-to-maintain EVA units which made its first and only appearance in the 7th episode of the Neon Genesis Evangelion TV series. I think there was actually a second Jet Alone unit that showed up during one of the visual novels or games. I've got no idea how Wanzerfan came to believe it belonged to the US military.

I now know where Wanzerfan came to believe it belonged to the US military.

Behold: http://www.robotech.com/community/forum/re...&forumid=24

On a Robotech DVD from Legacy Box set 3 the Tomhawk destroid has US Army written on its leg.

Therefore, since - as everybody knows, Harmony Gold produced Neon Genesis Evangelion, which was the Fourth Part of Robotech, following the original Trilogy, then Wanzerfan just obviously made the assumption that since the Tomhawk destroid had US Army written on the leg, then the US army also made the Jetalone.

Logical presumption IMO.

They never use giant sniper rifles or miniguns against other Evas...

You're just being technical.... :)

Although - "they" do TRY to use those things against Toji's EVA... but never get the chance... :)

Pete

Took me awhile but i finally finished Tokyo Magnitude 8.0.

OH SHI- What a sad plot twist. Now watching back prev episodes and realised the signs were there all along. :(:(:(

Haven't been watching anime for a while, but i just finished Magnitude 8.0 last night. good thing i backread a little and saw your post.

I liked it. i was expecting disaster-movie type mayhem and anarchy, but what i got was so much better. a disaster show that actually got me emotionally involved. kudos.

and the ending.. that was strong s@*t man. :(

Next up on my list: Valkyria Chronicles. up to ep3 so far.

Edited by dreamweaver13

I hope taksraven doesn't mind, but...

128742083309823749.jpg

What the hell type of metal are those Evas made of? Most types of metal would slag, if not completely vaporize from being caught at ground zero of a tactical nuke.

Edited by Wanzerfan

128742083309823749.jpg

What the hell type of metal are those Evas made of? Most types of metal would slag, if not completely vaporize from being caught at ground zero of a tactical nuke.

they have AT fields. geometrically shaped force fields that make them invulnerable to almost everything except for stuff with stronger AT fields.

I forgot about the AT fields. I also didn't realize that the fields were so uber. The fields kinda flies in the face of physics, don't they (i.e. the heat that the field system throws off would most likely boil the pilot alive)?

I'm also not fond of the idea of using cockpits filled with highly oxygenated fluid in missions that don't require deep-sea or high-pressure operations (as brilliantly depicted in "The Abyss"). In addition, the stuff makes radio communications well nigh impossible (you can't talk with your resperatory system full of fluid), making it hell on squad tactics.

It's been a few years since I've seen the show, so some of the details of what I saw of it are still a little fuzzy.

I forgot about the AT fields. I also didn't realize that the fields were so uber. The fields kinda flies in the face of physics, don't they (i.e. the heat that the field system throws off would most likely boil the pilot alive)?

I'm also not fond of the idea of using cockpits filled with highly oxygenated fluid in missions that don't require deep-sea or high-pressure operations (as brilliantly depicted in "The Abyss"). In addition, the stuff makes radio communications well nigh impossible (you can't talk with your resperatory system full of fluid), making it hell on squad tactics.

It's been a few years since I've seen the show, so some all of the details of what I saw of it are still a little fuzzy.

They generate heat? Since when?

And while we're on the subject of "forgetting":

Only that I saw the first half of the Evangelion series when Cartoon Network aired it. Needless to say I bailed when I found out it was cut.

Ah, so you only watched the first 13 episodes.

(1) You got me there, I bailed right after NERV sabotaged the United States nuclear fission answer to the Angel threat.

Ah, so you only watched the first 7 episodes.

It's been a few years since I've seen the show, so some of the details of what I saw of it are still a little fuzzy.

I'd say so, if you can't remember how much of the show you watched. :wacko:

a) The credits almost always contain at least one..."I can't believe she/he is in this one too!!"

Totally, I just had another one of those moments earlier when I noticed the guy who voices Shibas Scotch in Sorcerer on the Rocks also voiced Watanabe in Excel Saga and a few characters in Saiyuki.

b) I'll have to come round to watching the Lupin III series one day. It's actually one of the few old series that you can get easily over here...

Really? I've had to look long and hard to find Lupin III... for the longest time the only way to see it was to catch it on [adult swim] at like 3am. I'm really enjoying it, despite its age... I'm into episode 5 (of 155) from the second series, and while the animation quality isn't an enormous improvement, the writing relies a lot less on cliches and plays for a more funny angle instead of a semi-serious narrative about a thief.

What the hell type of metal are those Evas made of?

Pure weapons-grade unobtainium, just like every other giant robot and its giant robot dog. This shouldn't come as any real surprise, as just about anything that defies conventional technology in sci-fi or mecha shows is made of fictional supermetals. It's a convention nearly as old as sci-fi itself. Whatever the armor of the EVAs is made out of, it's VERY strong, able to withstand pummeling from other EVA units, and even a high-energy particle beam-like attack from one particular Angel.

It's not a "field system", it's a biological/metaphysical function of the EVA units and their pilots, a physical manifestation of the figurative wall that separates a person's identify from other egos and external reality which permits the existence of individuals. Every living being has an AT field, though I'm not sure if it's ever clarified whether the pilot is tapping into the EVA's innate AT field, or the EVA's biology is being used to amplify the pilot's own AT field.

Wanzeran go watch the show!!!

Totally...

ROFLMFAO!

128742083309823749.jpg

Just a minor technical note, the nukes used in the show are not "nuclear" per say, but just a very strong conventional-munition. It's called a N-2 bomb. :)