What Current Anime Series Are You Watching? v2.0

Duke Togo

Can't say there are many impressive anime sofar in the winter season .

Sora No Woto is okay. Feel good slice of life in post-apocaliptic Switzerland. Backgrounds and music score are very good, but not impressed with the cliche characters. Bit to early to tell but this doesn't seem to be the less niche show originally announced.

as for the rest:

Durarara has potential. Tales from the big city mixed with some supernatural elements.

Hedamari Sketch and Nodame Cantible for the slice of life fans.

Was hoping Cobra would be entertaining but it fails pretty much. To bad, the only shows that could have added a bit of testosteron to the season.

haha,yeah i watch it now and then :p

im watching 'Garden of Sinners' thanks for pointing me in the direction of these films Wolfx,tis awesome really enjoying them. ^_^

No probs.

I just finished Sora Wa Kakeru Shoujo (The Girl Who Leapt Through Space). Entertaining ride but mostly nonsensical storyline that was hard to follow. I'm not sure what happened but watching colonies bashing each other up was pretty cool.

About 9 eps into Shin Mazinger Z: it wasn't bad until around the last couple or episodes; now, it tends to be heavy: hope it'll get better later on...

Finished Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann this weekend.

What a great ride!

Wasn't crazy about the episodes immediately following the time jump (or the finale) but

overall a bombastic and wonderful series.

Can't get over how much I was effected by some characters passing.

I've had the opening theme stuck in my head for almost two weeks! Have to pickup the OST soon.

Finished Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann this weekend.

What a great ride!

Wasn't crazy about the episodes immediately following the time jump (or the finale) but

overall a bombastic and wonderful series.

Can't get over how much I was effected by some characters passing.

I've had the opening theme stuck in my head for almost two weeks! Have to pickup the OST soon.

Gonna (finally!) be able to watch Gurren Laggan starting next week...

I'm really looking forward to it, specially considering the really positive reviews it get by most people in this forum :)

Gonna (finally!) be able to watch Gurren Laggan starting next week...

I'm really looking forward to it, specially considering the really positive reviews it get by most people in this forum :)

Finally started Gurren Lagann. In some ways its totally old school, yet still reminds me a lot of FLCL and Gunbuster 2. I'm a bit worried about watching it because so many people have praised it so much that I'm a bit worried about being slightly underwhelmed.

Have avoided the Gurren Lagann thread for fear of spoilers but will of course dive into it as soon as I finish the series.

Just started watching Basquash. 1st episode in, and i'm already hooked. what can I say, i'm a basketball fan. :) Watched up to ep 3, and I hope to do a marathon over the weekend.

But my greatest shock so far? ... How the hell is it possible that Spanky is Sheryl Nome??? How can that sweet voice suddenly be a carnivorous pokemon pet?? :p

Finally started Gurren Lagann. In some ways its totally old school, yet still reminds me a lot of FLCL and Gunbuster 2. I'm a bit worried about watching it because so many people have praised it so much that I'm a bit worried about being slightly underwhelmed.

Have avoided the Gurren Lagann thread for fear of spoilers but will of course dive into it as soon as I finish the series.

100% worth the hype!

Finished Shin Mazinger Z a few days ago: I'm disappointed, I expected something more faithfull to the original and more epic aswell. Still, it's worth watching if you're a super robots fan

Finished Bakemonogatari:

I have a very double feeling about this show. The show is visually interesing with a minimalist aproach to animation, clever camera angles and a brilliant soundtrack. The dialog between the characters is refreshingly ssharp and antagonistic. Not the standard rom-com fare. But on the other hand, while this show tries very hard to look complex and different, it's still a fairly basic harem show mixed with some supernatural elements. It's weak and predicatble plot carried by the characters and voice actors. It was the most popular show of 2009 but I'm not completely convinced yet.

Finished Summerwars:

Nice movie on a near future world where your online identity starts to mix with the real life one. Very recognisable if you ever did some online gaming. It's not as good as the girl who leapt through time but it does show a nice insight of the rise of social and online networking without being judgemental.

Finshed Kara no Kyoukai (garden of sinners):

Seven movies revolving around supernatural crimes and a "slayer" (can't really think of any other description for this trope). Based on the novels of Kinoko Nasu the movies each tell part of the story in a non-chronological order. The movies have excellent build ups and the atmospheric setting and music work. Still there were some parts that really grated my nerves. I found the heavy use of CGI in the visuals and coloring very distacting and the cliches of the genre really pop up a lot. Quite often the movies reminded me of Ghost in the Shell, somehow the movies fell like a supernatural clone but without the touch that made GitS work. That said, Kara no Kyoukai is not bad by any means. Also the rather lyrical reception by reviewers as if the show is a milepont in animation was somewhat off putting. Good use of CGI effects can help the visuals but sometimes this show comes to close to being a visual novel game.

Just finished watching Busou Renkin. I really like it. The main characters Kazki and Tokiko battle supernatural beings with powers from their weapons, Busou Renkin. I wish there was more story involving.Kazki and his sister and school buddies. Overall pretty enjoyable.

Just finished Bubblegum Crisis 2040 TV series. I know a lot of people hated it, but i liked it just fine. I only watched the first 3 episodes of the original OVA a long time ago. So, i think i'll finish that next.

Haven't watched any new (or old) anime since finishing Macross Frontier last year. Well, I did recently rewatch Macross II, but that's about all.

There's just no new anime that interests me at all.

I have been toying with the idea of rewatching RahXephon later in the year and perhaps the orginal Bubblegum Crisis as well, but still not in the mood yet.

Currently borrowing and watching Farscape complete box set (yes, I know it's not anime, but it is sci-fi). Not sure if I'll be able to make it through all 4 seasons though. Keep falling asleep half way through the eps.

Graham

Haven't watched any new (or old) anime since finishing Macross Frontier last year. Well, I did recently rewatch Macross II, but that's about all.

There's just no new anime that interests me at all.

I have been toying with the idea of rewatching RahXephon later in the year and perhaps the orginal Bubblegum Crisis as well, but still not in the mood yet.

Currently borrowing and watching Farscape complete box set (yes, I know it's not anime, but it is sci-fi). Not sure if I'll be able to make it through all 4 seasons though. Keep falling asleep half way through the eps.

Graham

I'd definitely recommend Raxephon. Visually stunning with a complex story and a satisfying ending. I really couldn't have asked for more when I watched it.

I'm embarrassed to say this - but I'm currently watching Ladies vs. Butlers and enjoying it. Complete fanservice fluff anime.

For those of you who like classic 80's mecha anime, a fansub group called Anime-Classic has subtitled Round Vernian Vifam and Zillion.

DVD release of Dairugger XV coming out later this month. I can't wait to watch Dairugger in original Japanese.

Edited by Vifam7

I'm embarrassed to say this - but I'm currently watching Ladies vs. Butlers and enjoying it. Complete fanservice fluff anime.

Never feel embarrassed (unless of course you say something like Robotech is better than Macross!). Do please share your impressions on Ladies vs. Butlers. It sounds like there's a whole new "butler" genre out there....

So I watched all of Dunbine and the OVA called Tales of Neo Byston Well (with very poor subs).

Can someone with more insight explain to me how Shott Weapon fits into the OVA? Basically What, When, Where, How?

Did he enter future Byston Well after the end of Dunbine?

Or can it be seen as him having actually entered future Byston Well first and then jumping back in time,

taking with him all the knowledge of about aura powers/battlers?

Never feel embarrassed (unless of course you say something like Robotech is better than Macross!).

A long time ago, someone used the word "bastard child" to describe Robotech. :lol:

Do please share your impressions on Ladies vs. Butlers. It sounds like there's a whole new "butler" genre out there....

It's nothing special. The situations and jokes are utterly cliche. Fanservice galore. The show boils down to - throw good-hearted guy into a school filled with maids and princesses. What saves this show from the crap pile (so far) is the 2 lead female characters (one is scheming & somewhat blackhearted, the other a tsundere stuck-up who just can't seem to get a leg up on anybody). The show can easily go south but I'll watch it til then.

going to start afro samurai 1&2 so i can get rid of them then mac+

I couldn't get thru Afro Samurai Resurrection. I had the thora version (quality) but english voice acting almost always kills it for me.

Why does english voice acting suck a$$ 99.99999% of the time anyway?

Currently watching Gundam 08th MS Team. I must say that, after the really lackluster MS IGLOO, this is like a breath of fresh air.

08th MS Team started off really well for the first 2 eps, then slowed down. I'm up to ep 8 and it looks like things are starting to pick up again and move towards the climax. Hopefully, for a side story to the 1 year war, this still delivers the goods (at least by the standards of a side story OVA).

Slightly OT but Amazon is having some big major sales on anime Blu-Rays.

Was wondering if anyone knows how Amazon discounts work and how long these prices will be valid cause i'm thinking of holding out until Evangelion 1.11 which is released this early March to save on shipping. I mean this is a new title and its already receiving a 43% discount! Amazing.

http://www.amazon.com/Evangelion-1-11-You-...0198&sr=8-1

Was wondering if anyone knows how Amazon discounts work and how long these prices will be valid cause i'm thinking of holding out until Evangelion 1.11 which is released this early March to save on shipping. I mean this is a new title and its already receiving a 43% discount! Amazing.

Sorry can't help much as I'm not sure how Amazon discounts work or how long the sale will last. I know the sale's been going on since at least mid January cause I preordered Eva 1.11 and Gundam UC because of the lower price. Amazon's given no indication (that I've seen) of when they'll end it so it could go on indefinitely.

Back on-topic, I just watched the Diebuster movie and while I liked it I could tell that a lot of the heart of the movie was cut in favor of the action. There were points where I could tell I was supposed to feel for the characters, but I didn't because of the lack of backstory. I'm gonna have to track down the OVA's now so I can see what I missed.

Did Funimation just pick random titles to put on Blu Ray? I mean seriously, Claymore and Tsubasa Chronicles on Blu Ray?

While on the other hand: C'mon Bandai! Pick up the horse! Where's Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann on Blu-Ray!?

Did Funimation just pick random titles to put on Blu Ray? I mean seriously, Claymore and Tsubasa Chronicles on Blu Ray?

While on the other hand: C'mon Bandai! Pick up the horse! Where's Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann on Blu-Ray!?

I think they "hinted" at licensing the recent movies & putting those on bluray this year, but that may have just been wishful thinking on my part..