What Current Anime Series Are You Watching? v2.0

Duke Togo

Hell no. I know nothing about this show. Just saw that someone put full versions of the DVD's in iso format on Demonoid. Figured I'd watch them. If they interest me enough, I'll do some background on the series.

Then you wouldn't understand much of what's going on in Rei. Watch it from season 1. Really awesome horror/thriller/mystery series IMHO.

Its parallel sequel Umineko no naku koro ni is abit too convoluted and and hard to follow imho.

Edited by wolfx

RahXephon is meh. The movie was meh-er. If anything the lack of merchandise for RahXephon is an indication on how meh it was.

But i have to admit i did like the whole love story bit especially when it was revealed who Mishima Reika really was.

I liked Rahxephon. But I have to admit, it would have probably been just average for me, if not for the love story twist at the end. :)

Right now, i'm watching Toaru Kagaku no Railgun (up to ep10 now). I like it. For me, Kuroko Shirai is making this series quite enjoyable. Sure, i've seen the whole "in love with your same-sex sempai" thing over and over again in anime, but the absurd extent that Shirai does it is so freaking hilarious. :)

Edited by dreamweaver13

I just finished "Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid".. Awsome. Watching 2nd Season of "Queen's Blade" now.. wow!!

The Second Raid was great. Much better than the first season in my opinion although it lacked the laughs of "Fumoffu". It's a shame they didn't continue with the FMP franchise. It would have been nice to have some closure in the anime.

I'm currently watching Monster and Planetes.

Monster had me hooked from the start, Planetes was on my provisional list till this last episode (where the main characters go down to Earth) - that one has very good characterization which has gotten me hooked. The english VAs are decent too.

I'm currently watching Monster and Planetes.

Monster had me hooked from the start, Planetes was on my provisional list till this last episode (where the main characters go down to Earth) - that one has very good characterization which has gotten me hooked. The english VAs are decent too.

Never seen the Monster anime, but the manga is one of the best there is. Absolutely gripping stuff.

Never seen the Monster anime, but the manga is one of the best there is. Absolutely gripping stuff.

It is a very good show, and the english VAs are pretty good for the most part. I think it is 73 episodes long and I'm only up to the 20th episode or so - so I have a long way to go. It's also refreshing to have an Anime show that does not focus on teenagers...

As a side not, if this show were done in the US it would be done as live action (so far there have been very few calls for special effects but maybe that will change later).

As a side not, if this show were done in the US it would be done as live action (so far there have been very few calls for special effects but maybe that will change later).

Unlike many other anime or manga, Monster is one that absolutely could seamlessly transition into live action, provided it remained a series and it was taken up by a serious studio like HBO.

I just read on Wikipedia that New Line Cinema already acquired the rights to produce a live action movie. The screenplay is written by the person who did "A History of Violence".

Just checked IMDB and it seems that a live action Monster is not in the works any longer.

Anyway, to remain on track with this thread I've just gotten Patlabor (the tv series) in the post so I'm having a little Patlabor marathon this weekend. Hope that it preserves the atmosphere and humour of the Patlabor OVA.

Just watched the Golgo13 movie. It was much more depressing and darker than most anime I've seen lately, but i really liked it. I'm starting to watch more of the 80's stuff now and it's interesting how much sex and violence they started to put in anime (mostly OVAs) Anyone know if the sequel OVA and the TV series is any good?

I love how Sora no woto is getting better and more interesting each week.

Last episode we are treated to a very dark dark dark vignette about Felicia... I shat massive brix when the corpse came to life during her hallucination (or was it?) :lol: We're also treated to a super-short but interesting sequence showing the walking tanks of the "lost era" fighting an unknown enemy - for which the ghost attributes the downfall of humanity. Perhaps it's some sort of alien, given the insane beam weapon that we saw - and although humans won the war it knocked back the whole civilization back to a preindustrial age. This unknown enemy is probably related to the story of the flame maidens and the giant skeleton of episode 1.

Finished the first episode of the Gundam Unicorn OVA. It's everything a Gundam should be. Whoever says you can't animate a classic 80s style mecha show anymore should have a look at this. No moe, no bishi boy toys, no twintailed tsunderes, no dumb juvenile fanservice, no concessions to the modern day anime crowd, nothing of the kind. Pure classic UC stuff.

Sure there is some CGI, especially with the colony, but it's not to invasive.

Hmm, and was that a Hikaru resques Minmay homage?

I really hope this show will be a massive succes. Let out your inner old fart and enjoy the ride ;) Just 7 months till the next one...

Edited by Bri

Finished the first episode of the Gundam Unicorn OVA. It's everything a Gundam should be. Whoever says you can't animate a classic 80s style mecha show anymore should have a look at this. No moe, no bishi boy toys, no twintailed tsunderes, no dumb juvenile fanservice, no concessions to the modern day anime crowd, nothing of the kind. Pure classic UC stuff.

I really hope this show will be a massive succes. Let out your inner old fart and enjoy the ride ;) Just 7 months till the next one...

I hope the 1s episode you get to see more of the Unicorn in action cause i'm thinking the 40 minutes might end with the Unicorn being activated/stolen/whatever. :lol: Waiting for subs.

Do you think its worth getting the BD?

Looks like the RAW is out: http://www.tokyotosho.info/search.php?term...ndam&type=0

So it's confirmed then no bishies. YAY!!!!!

Looks like the RAW is out: http://www.tokyotosho.info/search.php?term...ndam&type=0

So it's confirmed then no bishies. YAY!!!!!

Skimmed a bit, will watch on a bigger screen. I dunno... The main character looks kinda bish to me. Not overly bishie, but not bad lookin'.

Edited by shiroikaze

Finished Watching Devilman the day before yesterday: I've been amazed by how much this show differs of Mazinger Z, yet bot of them are from the same year and the same author; of course, they're both a "monster of the week" series but Devilman is far more interesting on the human aspects of the story. I'll give a look to the original manga for sure

Otherwise, I watched the Legaciam OAV yesterday: it's the average mecha show from the second half of the 80s and although it gathered some great talents, what I've been really impressed with was the character designs. The story was so-so and gave me the feeling it was written with a sequel in mind, or maybe a whole TV series, because there wasn't any conclusion strictly speaking

I hope the 1s episode you get to see more of the Unicorn in action cause i'm thinking the 40 minutes might end with the Unicorn being activated/stolen/whatever. :lol: Waiting for subs.

Do you think its worth getting the BD?

58 mins, and *cough* on the Unicorn.

As for getting the BR, I've ordered it already from CDJapan, so yea I certainly think it's worth getting.

Skimmed a bit, will watch on a bigger screen. I dunno... The main character looks kinda bish to me. Not overly bishie, but not bad lookin'.

Nah, Banagher Links resembles Amaru and Kamille, non of them is bad looking. They're all Yoshikazu Yasuhiko designs. He lacks the long limbs, high cheek bones and sharp features of the Seed and 00 cast.

I love how Sora no woto is getting better and more interesting each week.

Last episode we are treated to a very dark dark dark vignette about Felicia... I shat massive brix when the corpse came to life during her hallucination (or was it?) :lol: We're also treated to a super-short but interesting sequence showing the walking tanks of the "lost era" fighting an unknown enemy - for which the ghost attributes the downfall of humanity. Perhaps it's some sort of alien, given the insane beam weapon that we saw - and although humans won the war it knocked back the whole civilization back to a preindustrial age. This unknown enemy is probably related to the story of the flame maidens and the giant skeleton of episode 1.

Yea, it's getting interesting. Not quite sure what to make of the winged giants. You see him reflected in the building too. Demon, angel, alien? Quite a bit of references to christian symbols in the anime, maybe some significance in playing amazing grace on trumpets? 7 angels and 7 trumpets? Dead See, plagues, en of days? Dunno will see.

Probably a fan of axis vehicles in there too, Wehrmacht uniforms, Kubelwagens, walking Panther tanks.

Edited by Bri

Im watching thru Samurai Champloo again B))

Champloo rocks ( or raps is maybe a better term?) specially towards the end. I love how they just mesh everything up.

I would love to see and argument between Kamina from Gurren Lagann and Mugen about who is more bad*ss. That's be a sight to see ( and hear).

As I mentioned above I'm watching Patlabor the TV series and so far I'm enjoying it (a lot actually). I love its realistic treatment of mecha and technology in general. However the best is the characters, specially Captain Gotoh who is just the coolest commanding officer ever.

At the end of the DVD I came upon a preview section and I saw a couple of trailers. There was one in particular called "Big Wars" which intrigued me. Anyone seen it?? I've read a couple of online reviews and they're a mixed bunch but I'd like to hear the scoop from some like minded individuals.

In Halo Legends? No, where was that at. The short "Odd One Out" is funny.

It was in the extras in the blu-ray, they were talking about the making of each episode, and I believe it was in the "Odd one Out" and also in "Be Human". They were talking about the Itano circus and the Cyclones designer of Mospeada. But the guy in the interview only mentions them as being made famous in Robotech IIRC. :mellow:

I wanted to smack him through my t.v. Not once did they do this but three times. No mention of Macross and Mospeada,just Robotech(Again in thise two shorts IIRC).

Edited by SkullLeaderVF-X

Where did you get your copies from?

Somewhere around 10 years ago, a Korean company released 999 & Adeiu on DVD with english subtitles, specifically Viz's subtitle script. Exactly where they got those subtitles from was a bit of a topic for debate back then, some thinking they "pirated" them, others believing they got them from Toei. Regardless, it was an official DVD release, and 999 is region 3, while Adeiu is all region, and as I just recently found out, they're even anamorphic, which made be incredibly happy.

Unfortunately, the disc's seem to be OOP, but if you know of any shops that deal in Korean DVD's, you may luck out.

Watched Sword of the Stranger yesterday, which is very good. I liked the "Once Upon a Time in America feeling" which came from the various conflicts of interest between the different protagonists; the fact that the two main characters both are foreigners of this traditional Japan was an interesting twist. Scenario is a bit conventional but presented in an unusual way. Animation is great, music is very good. All this make this movie very recommendable

[...]

At the end of the DVD I came upon a preview section and I saw a couple of trailers. There was one in particular called "Big Wars" which intrigued me. Anyone seen it?? I've read a couple of online reviews and they're a mixed bunch but I'd like to hear the scoop from some like minded individuals.

Watched this one a bunch of years ago or so, and wrote a review of it on the Animeka.com french website: if you understand this language, it's easy to find my review in the search engine

Basically, I found it was overally well animated, but inequally, with some good ideas unfortunately badly used and a lot of clichés. Synopsis is very simple and there's almost no suspense. The last 15 mins or so of the movie are the most interesting. Characters are almost all archetypes but rather cleverly used all along the story. Designs are interesting and rather unusual but more originality and creativity would have been a strong plus. A pair of sex scenes have the merit to play a role in the story. Basically, if you liked Venus Wars, odds are good that you'll like Big Wars: its animation is less good but its scenario is better

Sorry if this is "short" as a review, but there's not a lot of things to say on this one; frankly, I don't even remember why I wrote this years ago: I've just done a quick and approximative translation

Watched Sword of the Stranger yesterday, which is very good. I liked the "Once Upon a Time in America feeling" which came from the various conflicts of interest between the different protagonists; the fact that the two main characters both are foreigners of this traditional Japan was an interesting twist. Scenario is a bit conventional but presented in an unusual way. Animation is great, music is very good. All this make this movie very recommendable

Watched this one a bunch of years ago or so, and wrote a review of it on the Animeka.com french website: if you understand this language, it's easy to find my review in the search engine

Basically, I found it was overally well animated, but inequally, with some good ideas unfortunately badly used and a lot of clichés. Synopsis is very simple and there's almost no suspense. The last 15 mins or so of the movie are the most interesting. Characters are almost all archetypes but rather cleverly used all along the story. Designs are interesting and rather unusual but more originality and creativity would have been a strong plus. A pair of sex scenes have the merit to play a role in the story. Basically, if you liked Venus Wars, odds are good that you'll like Big Wars: its animation is less good but its scenario is better

Sorry if this is "short" as a review, but there's not a lot of things to say on this one; frankly, I don't even remember why I wrote this years ago: I've just done a quick and approximative translation

Appreciate the effort. Thanks.

Big Wars doesn't really seem worth a big effort to see it.