Macross Frontier Episode 14 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 14 Rating  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Rating?

• Positive (VF-171 in action = BOMBA!)
    • No Opinion/Neutral
    • Negative (Luca x Nanase = LOSE)

Hmm I see talk about the NUNS here. Can I take this to mean they are presented in a good light.....finally?

Call sign Diamond Squadron! diamond squandron(not cannon fodder) = Rogue Squadron(Star Wars).

But we haven't meant the pilots of Diamond? Gamlin Kinzake fly VF-17 /VF-22. I miss the VF-22

So I'm guessing that

Frontier

really f

ri

cked up big time by

destroying the Queen

...?

Maybe. Perhaps

there's more than one queen. Or perhaps Ranka found out just enough, just before the end, to begin communicating with the Vajra. Or perhaps she even becomes their new...queen?

:wacko:

Edited by Mr March

Yeah....and not to mention they reused footage of the Vajra cruiser folding in from ep 7 with explosions happening in the background when the actual battle in ep 13 hasn't taken place yet.

The whole battle seems disjointed...and really sad that people like Canaria and especially Pixie Squadron which was featured before the battle wasn't even shown much if any action.

Reused animation doesn't bother me, however the arrangement of the battle itself is messed up.

The entire battle scene is trying to focus on Alto rescuing Ranka, however they failed at this as well.

IMO Alto just win 'Most Wasted FAST Pack' in a single episode, he get Micheal pack in Galia 4 orbit and ditch them when he depleted the missiles during the battle. Once again when he's wearing the Armored pack, he's been ditching pieces of it as he makes his way into the Queen lair.

I know they try to make Quarter as human as possible, but WTF with the rotating bridge and its clearly seen it got some sort of neck joint there.

This episode had great chances to add some depth to the stock character, but they failed hard :angry:

- VF-171 from Diamond Squadron are only shown in mecha action as if its trying to redeem it past failures. No character/pilot introduction, just gung-ho of some random VF-171 pilot.

- Canaria only shown before the fight, after that no Monster action (rage).

- One of the pixies blown up and that's the only screentime they have on this episode.

For once I kinda dissappointed with MF <_<

Does anybody know what Nanase said to Luca that got him so upset? :huh:

Not surprising that he's a little mad. :lol:

Nanase: Are you going too, Luca-kun?

Luca: Yes.

Nanase: Without Saotome-kun and Michel-kun here. By yourself, you can't...

Luca: When I get back I have something I want to speak to you about.

I cannot express my disappointment enough with regards to Battle 25 doing nothing during the battle. raaaage

I think it was midway on transforming when the nuke fest started.

Random bridge bunny 1#: "Battle 25 transformation 67% completed"

Random bridge bunny 2#: "Report from Macross Quarter, enemy mothership has sunk, Valkyries tai requesting permission to launch reaction missile"

Battle 25 captain: "Abort transformation, and permission granted to launch reaction missiles, and don't take your eyes off the monitor" :lol:

Not surprising that he's a little mad. :lol:

Nanase: Are you going too, Luca-kun?

Luca: Yes.

Nanase: Without Saotome-kun and Michel-kun here. By yourself, you can't...

Luca: When I get back I have something I want to speak to you about.

Not surprising...but really, is she WRONG?

I think it was midway on transforming when the nuke fest started.

Random bridge bunny 1#: "Battle 25 transformation 67% completed"

Random bridge bunny 2#: "Report from Macross Quarter, enemy mothership has sunk, Valkyries tai requesting permission to launch reaction missile"

Battle 25 captain: "Abort transformation, and permission granted to launch reaction missiles, and don't take your eyes off the monitor" :lol:

Ha! Good old Max and his need to have eyes on that monitor at all times.

And that should be close enough to 12 hours.

I gave this a neutral. If Graham ain't on the floor twitching and giggling like a little school girl from Diamond Team and the VF-171s, I don't know what would get make him happy. The episode was good, but the pacing and this jumping around or disjointed sequences really didn't sit well with me. It also felt like it was done just to blow things up. You have Alto returning from Gallia 4. You have Sheryl and Michael hanging on to the Vajra carrier, Luca trying to confess to Nanase, the Vajra "queen" and Ranka trying to have a conversation, then jumping to a battle, then Brera showing up, then a whole bunch of nukes. It feels like they are trying to tie up things all at once and it just didn't sit well. Things felt crammed and not in a good way.

After seeing Ep 14 I have a few thoughts:

1. You can tell that all the budget went into the mecha action and the character animation was farmed out.

2. I believe now more than ever the Vajra have PC origins, that the Galaxy and 117th were reverse engineering their technology. The Dimension Eater from 13 is what Gigil was in Mac 7. He wiped out Rax the same way as the DE took a chunk out of Galia IV (granted MF did a much better job of animating it). The Vajra weaponry is much more powerful than what we've seen displayed by the VF-27 (which likely utilizes reverse engineered tech). The MS fired a shot that penetrated the Omni-directional barrier of the Frontier, something we haven't seen before.

3. Ranka was probably infected with the V virus and survived, while Grace is likely purposely infecting Sheryl the same way. *Speculation* the V Virus transforms it's host into the "queen" and the queen Ranka was captured by was her mother fully mutated. Possibly the PC would use this genetic virus to provide "brains" for their forces, much like Bodolza was in DYRL, only these commanders were bio-engineered instead of using cybernetics. *end speculation*

4. Loved the VF-171 action. Definitely took the greenhorn CAP pilots of the first few episodes and replaced them with competent vets. To be fair though, the green troops didn't have the anti-ECA rounds that they did this time.

5. Disappointed that the Quarter was used to take out he mother ship, was hoping that we'd see some Macross 25 lovin against it. Makes the Quarter a bit too uber for me. Yes she has the latest tech, but the Mac 25 would have a pretty solid punch too. The MS seemed a bit too easy to wipe out.

5. Loved the animation of the capital ship destructions, much more realistic than most anime shows.

6. I like the evolution of the triangle. Ranka was the longing one in the first half of the season, now Sheryl is becoming the longing one. She's let her guard down finally and is in serious risk of getting hurt. Very Misa, only a bolder personality - I like it...

7. Nice to see the RVF-25 has some offensive weaponry, rather limited, but some.

8. loved the Mac 7 reference with Diamond Squadron still flying a version of the VF-17.. B))

9. Enjoyed the Armored VF-25F, nice!

10. Like the detail of Alto using Micheal's fast packs instead of his own (possibly had to as they may have had the mounts for the Super Fold Booster. Demonstrated the utilitarian aspect of the Macross universe.

11. Appreciated the fact that Sheryl's inability to properly control the VF-25G is what probably saved their lives.

12. Loved Maaya Sakamoto's rendition of Aimo. Damn that woman has an amazing voice!

All in all a solid episode with a few disappointments, can't wait for the subs

Maybe. Perhaps

there's more than one queen. Or perhaps Ranka found out just enough, just before the end, to begin communicating with the Vajra. Or perhaps she even becomes their new...queen?

:wacko:

I bet there are more queens out there kinda like in aliens. Grace just happened to trigger the one from under the Global to attack. I have to say even with shell down and barrier in place the Vajra hit HARD. Man I am still in awe of alto and the VF-171... simple sexy mech pron.

Am I the only one thinking that Ranka's singing to the Zentradi and Vajra and them being blown up regardless is analogous Basara's frustration in M7?

With the next Sheryl "Concert" does seem reminicent of Sharon Apple.

Grace being an AI compounds it.

It wouldn't surprise me if the people of Galaxy is hypnotize and under control by Grace.

Sheryl will be the wrench in Grace's plan much like Myung was to Sharon Apple.

With all the talk about Grace being the ultimate villain, it's funny to see how she is presented in the opening, like some innocent business woman or something.

I just realized.....Mr.Birla....where are you?

Few kudos to the NUNS on this episode not to mention they act fast by closing the shell and activating the barrier. They also move fast (the tanks) when the barrier is breached by one of the Vajra warship to anticipate any intruder.

So Repulsion Field is a new form of the Omni Barrier field and I assume its the same barrier used by Quarter. So this mean that the PPB girls are retired for good? :huh:

Edited by Morpheus

I think this is

probably be the last time we see Diamond Squadron in action.

Bad move by not introducing the pilots. Let's all hope they show up on Frontier sometime.

With all the talk about Grace being the ultimate villain, it's funny to see how she is presented in the opening, like some innocent business woman or something.

Well...that's also how she was presented in the first bunch of episodes, as well.

Or as MST3K would put it:

Dumb movie character: "She seemed like a nice enough woman."

Joel and the bots: "At first!"

3. Ranka was probably infected with the V virus and survived, while Grace is likely purposely infecting Sheryl the same way. *Speculation* the V Virus transforms it's host into the "queen" and the queen Ranka was captured by was her mother fully mutated. Possibly the PC would use this genetic virus to provide "brains" for their forces, much like Bodolza was in DYRL, only these commanders were bio-engineered instead of using cybernetics. *end speculation*

dubious.gif It's all becoming so very clear . . .

When thinking about Grace, I have two schools of thought.

1. She's indeed and AI created on Galaxy (where it's been established that all the rules of regular colony fleets don't apply) ala Sharon Apple and uses android bodies. Possibly her motivation is to pit humanity against the Vajra in hopes of wiping it out so that what happened to Sharon never happens to her. It seems in Japan (or with Kawamori) AI's are the technological boogeyman, whereas in North America its robots.

2. Kawamori is making another tie in to Macross 7, in that Grace's android form contains the Spiritia of the original Grace and androids are Galaxy's (or even Brila's) experimentation with immortality through technology. The pitting of Frontier against the Vajra is a way of testing out their full capabilities against human tech. With the ultimate goal of an alliance with them to control the galactic colonies.

All speculations of course, but I am eager to find out the answers... ^_^

The bitch is back! we will get to see the gracu-jumpu yet again. :)

Absolutely frackin great episode!! topnotch mecha action! (171 rules!!... until Alto came in. then he ruled.)

mighty fine episode, a bit dark and lots of death flags thrown all over before the battle (i thought everyone was gonna die. specially luca. i was sure he was a goner. although he's not out of the woods yet.). i love this ep. and that's just from the RAW. can't wait for the subs! :)

quickie watching comments:

alto did it again. (SDFM intro, hikaru in the cockpit looking up)! i was waiting for the old music to cue. Ma-ku-Ros! :)

poor pixie. we did not know you well enough. twas sad to see you go. :(

ok, who else feels sad for the vajra?? I DO!! Please, don't kill them. they stopped attacking, don't you see?? (and then followed with shots of 3 inactive vajra blown up ruthlessly. paradigm shift, anyone? :(

question: did the surrounding vajra (units/ships/fleet) just stop moving once the queen died?