Battlestar Galactica Discussion III

As far as we know, that technology doesn't exist in the Battlestar universe. There's been talk of them finding another planet (shot in the same location as the algae one from S3) and I imagine that will be the case. For the sake of argument, the people needing earth under their feet and blue sky over their heads is probably a very high priority. Artificial (if it exists in BSG) probably isn't gonna cut it. Also, despite the some of the elements of the show, it's always felt very grounded and real, building giant space colonies doesn't really seem to mesh.

Seriously, I like Anders, so hopefully he pulls through. Glad to see Helo managed to stay in the land of the living after that beat down. I'm sort of curious how next week will play out. The trailer hinted at what a big chunk of it likely will be, but we have the hull breach (I think anyways) in the engine room, as well as some injured regulars. Also how will the fleet react, what will we do about the Quorum?

I don't think those were breeches in the hull. If they were, the chief would be dead. There's speculation that the damage in the engine room is from stress fractures. The ship is over 50 years old and hasn't been handled with kid gloves.

Betcha that the revelation of the damage would make the ship incapable of jumping, due to it tearing itself apart.

Great episode. Admiral Adama is bad ass, even in the face of death!

That was my thought too, whats up with those cracks in the engine room? Is the Battlestar ready to fall apart? Not sure if the mighty putty would hold long enough... B))

Plus Gaeta and especially Zarak got what they deserved!!

Edited by 505thAirborne

I watched this while really hammered, so here is a question:

Did I just miss it or did they not show the part when Adama actually gets rescued by Saul/Apollo/Starbuck? All I saw was Gaeta giving the order and then the scene shifts to the execution squad already pwnd? ... would have made for a pretty intense dramatic scene. If I'm right, I'm also dissapointed.

only thing I didn't like about the episode was the way Kara was holding her dual wielding sidearms. Too Lara Croft-ish

Seconded---when they spend 30 secs arguing about how critical it is to be fast and accurate in this situation--she holds her guns gangsta-style and crossed-over?

Ghost Train--you didn't miss anything.

As for the engine room---I'm annoyed that I of all people didn't understand what it was until I came here. I thought they looked more like leaks or something--so "dark and streaky". Honestly at very first I thought there were more "relics of the past etched on the wall" for Tyrol, like on Earth. (hey, that'd be a twist, he used to serve on a previous Galactica...)

Seconded---when they spend 30 secs arguing about how critical it is to be fast and accurate in this situation--she holds her guns gangsta-style and crossed-over?

Ghost Train--you didn't miss anything.

As for the engine room---I'm annoyed that I of all people didn't understand what it was until I came here. I thought they looked more like leaks or something--so "dark and streaky". Honestly at very first I thought there were more "relics of the past etched on the wall" for Tyrol, like on Earth. (hey, that'd be a twist, he used to serve on a previous Galactica...)

Cool... I think I needed to drink more than XD.

Regarding the cracks, leaks, "erosions," etc... that was the first thing that came to my mind as well. If true, than it makes for a much more interesting writing angle. The fact that Galactica now has a few structural issues is not particularly interesting, the whole ship is pretty beat up by now.

the gallactica is held together with paper machee(sp?) made from all the writing they tossed out about the whole cylon story arc of "we have a plan"

while i agree that the whole "we have a plan" thing has been sh!t-canned, the writers have done a great job of putting together a cohesive, continuous story. I think a lot of it is based on the fact that as you go along and make good design decisions (in the context of what major thing happens next to these people), it allows you to cover up your mistakes (the Cylons didn't really seem to have a plan B, plan A = Exterminate!)

This show also seems to have luck on its side. Revelations could have been the last episode of the series, but the writers' strike was canceled in time for us to get these last nine episodes and let them finish the story. Its great to see them not holding anything back - at this point, no one and nothing is safe because the story is just about over. I compare this to how poorly something like Voyager or Enterprise ended and it makes me realize even more how awful those endings were in comparison.

I'll be amazed if Adama and Galactica are still kicking when the final credits roll.

My brother of all people had an interesting view on that which is simply, they'll find no home, at least in the series that is. Thats where the movies are supposed to come in, but then again the writers keep throwing us some curve balls.

Either way I enjoy surprises, so I'll be lovin how the series ends either way!! B))

I seriously don't believe there will be any movies. I think BSG will end at the end of S4. I'm not sure you could drag out the "finding a home bit" into movies as well. While it's hardly definitive, almost every cast member interviewed has spoken about the end of S4 with such finality that I don't think a movie is likely. That capped with the fact that we'll probably lose Laura and I wouldn't put it past them to kill Adama either, doesn't lend itself to a movie setting.

We've also got 6 episodes left, a lot of people can die, and the more that do would seem to provide less and less of a reason for a movie. From what I've read the last 1-2 eps are planned to be at least 90 minutes, possibly 2 hours a pop, that's probably the closest thing we'll get to films for BSG. In my opinion, the show doesn't lend itself well to movies, there are too many entwining plot threads. The fanbase is large, but I don't think it's large enough to justify the cost of a full blown film while also requiring movie goers to be current on the plot.

I seriously don't believe there will be any movies. I think BSG will end at the end of S4. I'm not sure you could drag out the "finding a home bit" into movies as well. While it's hardly definitive, almost every cast member interviewed has spoken about the end of S4 with such finality that I don't think a movie is likely. That capped with the fact that we'll probably lose Laura and I wouldn't put it past them to kill Adama either, doesn't lend itself to a movie setting.

We've also got 6 episodes left, a lot of people can die, and the more that do would seem to provide less and less of a reason for a movie. From what I've read the last 1-2 eps are planned to be at least 90 minutes, possibly 2 hours a pop, that's probably the closest thing we'll get to films for BSG. In my opinion, the show doesn't lend itself well to movies, there are too many entwining plot threads. The fanbase is large, but I don't think it's large enough to justify the cost of a full blown film while also requiring movie goers to be current on the plot.

There is still Battlestar Galactica: The Plan which will be released later this year.

Battlestar: The Plan Secrets Teased!

whoa, Hingtgen and I agreed on something, Hi Five! ^_^

I was put off quite a bit by that too. I'm no gun expert, but I always thought shooting the gun like that decreases your accuracy quite a bit.

There's a theory being thrown about...

The dying leader that will lead everyone home is actually Galactica itself, not Roslin. Hence the stress fractures.

Doesn't the prophecy go: And so it will come to pass, a dying leader will know the truth of the opera house, I'm not sure Galactica has a mind of it's own to know the truth with. :p

Though I suppose there were some lines in Pithia that hinted at a dying leader leading the people home or some such, referenced way back in season 2. In either case, I'd say Laura's failing condition (she still hasn't gone back onto the deloxin or other treatments) seems to pretty strongly reference her as what they are talking about.

I could however see the Galactica being somehow tied to the First Hybrid's prophecy somehow. The line about "And they will join together in the promised land. Gathered on the wings of an angel. Not an end, but a beginning." Though I suppose our final Cylon could fit that role now too, much easier than Galactica itself. Though I don't think the line refers to Kara as many initially thought.

The dying leader that will lead everyone home is actually Galactica itself, not Roslin. Hence the stress fractures.

Ugh - i've heard this before and i can't stand this theory. Galactica is a ship. Non-sentient as far as we know, unless there is a hybrid tucked away somewhere in the engine room that no one has stumbled across in the 40 years Galactica has been around.

Why can't the dying leader still be Roslin?

Ugh - i've heard this before and i can't stand this theory. Galactica is a ship. Non-sentient as far as we know, unless there is a hybrid tucked away somewhere in the engine room that no one has stumbled across in the 40 years Galactica has been around.

well I did jokingly say this on page 32

Maybe in an attempt to save it from ripping apart, the Chief is going to transfer his consciousness into the Galactica like Tochiro in Captain Harlock :lol:

Hey, he is a cylon and the cylons have the hybrids that control their basestars so....

Why would it have to be sentient? The Galactica has led the fleet since the start of the war, and it's starting to break down. It's a dying leader in a symbolic sense, which would fit the prophecy.

As to why it can't be Roslin, there's nothing saying that it can't. It's just that the planet she led them to turned out not to be their new home, and as a result she lost faith in the prophecy. It may be she was reading it too literally, and that the prophecy was about Galactica, not her.

Again, it's just a theory being thrown around.

Laura didn't technically lead them to Earth. Ultimately the path was pointed out by 3 of the final 5 and discovered in the end, by Starbuck. I think the ship itself falling into that specific prophecy (or any really) is stretching things pretty far.

I was wondering how they would use those cracks/fractures that Tyrol noticed in the FTL drive room.

Or maybe the FTL drive will go the way of the Macross' fold drive...

Adama: WHERE THE FRAK IS MY FTL?!

Tyrol: Ok ok, get this - it's warped to another dimension right?

Adama: ...ok?

Tyrol: But it creates this wierd energy-

Adama: sooooo?

Tyrol: Which can make a shield

Adama: FRAK YEAH! wait wha?

Tyrol: But not a complete shield just three small ones we'll have them controlled by these little wheels and they'll be super cool and you can see where they go wait we need cameras outside let's use the ones that follow our raptors-

*Tyrol is seen flying thru and airlock*

Laura didn't technically lead them to Earth. Ultimately the path was pointed out by 3 of the final 5 and discovered in the end, by Starbuck. I think the ship itself falling into that specific prophecy (or any really) is stretching things pretty far.

But, that's the wonderful thing about prophecy. It's vague!