Macross Frontier Episode 3 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 3 Rating  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How was Epsiode 3 (Rating)

• Positive (Shelters are a great place to get to know girls)
    • Neutral/No Opinion
    • Negative (I don't like jailbait or the Britney-wannabe)

*Note*

I'll be adding download links to the opening theme "Triangler" in this week's and next week's thread. It will be in stores April 23rd, 2008. Look for them in the first post.

I take it that you're joking. Cathy is NUNS President's daughter, and she doesn't seem the type can be forced. She definitely loves Leon.

Are you saying that she was NOT trying to resist him. For some reason what he did was at least inconvenient for her. Certainly not rape, but still......

It certainly wasn't a "no means yes" situation.

Taksraven

I would think she'd take Ozma over the guy with the foo-foo haircut any day, but oh well, such is life...

Anyway...looks like we have the makings of a second love triangle here... :ph34r:

I think some might be missing out on some of the situation. Her first protest was something to the extent of "If Father were to find out..." It's quite obvious that they have some relationship from that context, and, while Cathy may not have been prepared to have sex right then and there, she certainly wasn't unwilling, especially with how she repeated his name before the end of the scene. The context fits herbert's statement more than anything else anyone else has said.

Just putting a guess out there, but Ozma, if anything, might have been an old boyfriend, a la more Isamu-ish.

Besides, we really don't know much about Leon from the anime, yet. Other than his hairstyle, he seems to be extremely competent at his job.

Edited by veffidas

Are you saying that she was NOT trying to resist him. For some reason what he did was at least inconvenient for her. Certainly not rape, but still......

It certainly wasn't a "no means yes" situation.

Taksraven

Well, yeah, I guess having all the stuff on your desk (and maybe some of the stuff inside of it) start flying around everywhere can be inconvenient, and there's also the possibility that someone else could walk in. However, I think Leon thought out those possibilities well enough, since his job involves handling hot and sticky situations.

Crud.. well, I swore I'd wait for the sub, and caved within 5 minutes of doing so. :p

The awesomeness continues.. even without dialogue, I'm loving the way the characters interact. Ranka keeps getting cuter, and I love where the music is going. The ending section with the song felt just like Plus (sad, sincere, and dream-like all at once), glad to have some more Kanno goodness in there. I'm gonna have to watch that a few more times I think. ^_^

Crud.. well, I swore I'd wait for the sub, and caved within 5 minutes of doing so. :p

I'm still resisting. My raw is downloaded, anxiously awaiting a sub file to make it complete.

I'm still amazed at Ranka's hair. It's more like a living being than actual hair.

Some additional dialogue translations:

During the opening fight, the VB-6 pilot says, "I'm ready to launch at any time." The dialogue between the captain and the comm. officer basically amounts to "can we launch it?", "the President hasn't given us permission."

Ozuma overhears, curses, and when Luca and Mikhail show up, says, "it's up to you guys!"

Luca tries to get a lock, but fails, "But it's not possible! This..." Mikhail, "I'll do it."

Alto recognizes Mihhail's VF-25, "Mikhail?" Mikhail, "him?! (that bastard?!"

After shooting the head off, Alto, "the party's over...?" Ozuma, "good job, Mikhail." Mikhael, "no problem, it was easy (or something similarly aloof,) squad leader." Ozuma, "<laugh> After, you'll get a lot of (beer/spirits)"

When the Red Vajra reawakes and goes berserk, Ozuma "ow", Luca "squad leader!"

When the Vajra smashes the dome, SHeryl cries out, "stop it already!" (her being a controlling diva, or actually in the know about the Vajra?)

When the VF-171's show up, Luca (or is it Mikhail?) says something along the lines of "it's the military/incoming are the military", to which Ozuma replies, "they're late/slow!"

sry can't resist.

pretty good job of getting what's going on, there's a few missing bits but you got the general idea. just wondering, how did you get "the party's over...?" from 「当てやがった!!」 in that line, alto actually says (in disbelief) "he nailed it!!!" sry don't mean to nitpick but couldn't resist.

I was also wondering, does anybody have any idea of what percentage of the "human" population in the Macross Universe ARE clones. I think that clones would have been required to help fill the colony ships.

Taksraven

I was under the impression that they just used clones to repopulate after SW1 and no longer do so.

Anyway,

Good episode. I like a slower-pace character driven episode after a few actiony episodes. It gives the viewer a little downtime to absorb everything.

But at times the animation did look a little wonky. During the scene in the shelter(?) we saw a oddly drawn shot of alto's hand. And during the hospital scene after Cayna (Cayaga...Puffy red haired lady

^_^ ) entered Ozma's face looked weird.

Seems like they've gone pretty far in the story for just 3 episodes. I'm so happy it didnt move at a snail's pace like many other series.

P.S. I can never look at a steamed bun the same again. :lol:

pretty good job of getting what's going on, there's a few missing bits but you got the general idea. just wondering, how did you get "the party's over...?" from 「当てやがった!!」 in that line, alto actually says (in disbelief) "he nailed it!!!" sry don't mean to nitpick but couldn't resist.

Yeah... missed that. I couldn't make out the later half of the line, and the first part sound like party to my ears this morning. Nevertheless, this is a good example of how much a translator adds or detracts from the original. Though, I wasn't going for accuracy, just a vague idea. Wish I could spend more time on translating, but what with moving house the day after tomorrow...

Something to think about from Ep3. Mikhail clearly tore that lobster a new face butthole and yet amazingly the lobster managed to stay alive and escape. In Ep2 Ozuma took down the 1st lobster with a clean thrust to the neck with his blade and that took it down.

Somethings to ponder... could the Vajra lobster be an exosuit /powersuit/mecha withsomeone piloting it from the inside making destroying the head unit simply disrupting some of its sensors. Pretty much like how headshotting a Batroid doesn't necesarily mean terminating it. Perhaps the knife has an effect of disrupting the neural functions of the lobster terminating any motor abilities.

Then again could be over analyzing again and its all just part of Macross Magic.

More like CG magic. I think the first Vajra was already weakened by gunpod fire and missiles, although the CG didn't let it to be noticed.

in the scene where they 'bury' Guilliam, is it some kind of stasis pool or what??, by the way how did they recover Guilliams body so neatly, the dude was squeesch to death

We saw a pool of blood, but his body wasn't supposed to be evaporated. Law of matter conservation.

FV

I think their Life Insurance coverage includes blow-up dolls or wax-figure replicas of themselves when this sort of thing happens :D

Ofcourse it cold also be that all they recovered from Giliam was his severed Head seeing as how his helmet was still intact in the hangar and they just propped it into a manequin. My morbid side is getting the best of me again hehehe. Imagine the mortician who had to do that gig. I can pretty much imagine this has happened before in cases of motorcycle accidents.

Actually, who says the body wasn't still intact? My apologies for the gory analogy, but you can squeeze all the juice out of an orange, and you still have the peel and insides there.. they're just smaller in volume (which would explain the armor falling off). My guess is he was just.. well, deflated somewhat, like a hot water bottle with a leak. No reason they couldn't fill him back up with stuffing to make a proper burial.

Really, it shouldn't be too much of a surprise that the guy looks so presentable in death... Morticians are amazing people.

If you want some proof, look at Mao's body sometime - if you knew what had happen to it, Gilliam's case looks like a cakewalk by comparison. In any case, they didn't show anything below the head, so it's really a non-factor.

Mao Nome? Yeah, my bad. I just thought Mao Zedong was famous enough that people would get it in context automatically... guess not. :p

Anyway, the Q-Rau is red - it's KK's, right? Hopefully another red-blue ace team, maybe?

Although I must admit, I will be terribly disappointed if Ranka sings Aimo instead of DYRL, but she... oh, I'll just shut up.

Edited by foolworm

I want to know what that spiffy mobile phone creature is :) It's really a great touch.

Can't....wait...to see it subbed! :) I am not bothering with the raw :)

VFTF1

I strongly recommend grabbing the raw and using the .ass files Gattai's been releasing.

The quality difference between the raws and the pre-subbed video files is huge.

Guys, please stop with the spoiler tags. It's already over 24 hours since the episode aired.

If you haven't seen the raw and don't want to be spoiled, then why the frak are you looking at page 7 of a thread about episode 3!!!!!!!

Graham

Grabbed some more pics of Mikhail's VF-25 in an effort to get a better look at the head.

Also, the shot of the VB-6.

Heh, everytime I type a post about Mikhail, I have to consciously stop myself from typing 'Max' instead of 'Mikhail'. :)

Graham

post-11-1208591636_thumb.png

post-11-1208591718_thumb.png

post-11-1208591789_thumb.png

post-11-1208591955_thumb.png

Who thinks that somehow Ranka is going to be a distant relative of Sheryl? And have Nome blood in her.

I'm still amazed at Ranka's hair. It's more like a living being than actual hair.

"...According to Macross co-creator Shoji Kawamori, Ranka Lee's hair can move on its own since she is one-quarter Zentradi. There are some types of Zentradi whose parts of their heads move on their own, and some types whose hair moves like antennae. She inherited those genes...".

This is from the Macross Compendium Article of Ranka Lee...

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

Guys, please stop with the spoiler tags. It's already over 24 hours since the episode aired.

If you haven't seen the raw and don't want to be spoiled, then why the frak are you looking at page 7 of a thread about episode 3!!!!!!!

Graham

We punish our selves Graham because love Macross so. Plus my Japanese is so rusty I only pick up parts of the Raw so I enjoy the pretty pictures. :D

I am loving where this new series is headed. After seeing episode 3, I do have a couple of questions.

1. How is it that Alto's 2 classmates are part of SMS and he is not? Did I miss something?

2. It is clear that SMS is a special military branch. How is it that it came into development?

I may be jumping the gun on some of these questions and if no one knows the answer, i hope they get answered in further episodes.