Macross Frontier Episode 3 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 3 Rating  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How was Epsiode 3 (Rating)

• Positive (Shelters are a great place to get to know girls)
    • Neutral/No Opinion
    • Negative (I don't like jailbait or the Britney-wannabe)

Ok - finally finished downloading and watched this! :) (now downloading episode 4)...

First thoughts:

I have the feeling that this episode is weak standing on its' own - but if taken as the conclusion to a three-episode "Introductory Ark" then it really stands very strong. Basically - this episode manages to cram what SDF Macross does over the span of 8 episodes into three:

1. Introduce the main characters - by which I mean not only let us see them and hear their names but also get a feel for their personalities.

2. Introduce the general situation (historical matters, location, etc etc)

3. Develop the main character from a boy who likes to fly and dreams of flying a Valkyrie into a boy who is caught up in a war and flies a Valkyrie into a boy who despite some skills must earn the respect of the Valkyrie senior pilots in order to be accepted into their ranks - and must humble his ego ("You will be my senior" he says to Luca, who in episode 1 called him "Alto Sempai")

4. Develop the main girl character from a cutey who dreams of fame and recognition but is stuck being yelled at by a cook to serve the pork before it becomes cold into a girl who gets caught up in a war and finally into a girl who is given a major confidence boost by her idol - who encourages the girl to be ambitious and not belittle herself in her thoughts.

I think that basically sums up the opening ark of the story line - and now things can "really begin."

Like I said - if I had ONLY seen this episode, I would have thought it kind of week - Ranka has one too many emotional moments and comes across as a "screaming woman" character - like in the old movies where the broad just shrieked every time the plot called for the audience to be scared "AHHHH!!! THIS IS THE SCARY MOMENT AAAHH!!")

The only interesting - as in interesting standing on its' own and not as part of the three-episode intro - part of this episode was the minor scuffle between Alto and Sheryl. "Pervert!" "Skank!" And I LOVE Alto saying Sheryl shows herself off in public anyways.

Speaking of Sheryl - I have become softer on her now compared to the beginning for three reasons:

1. I like her song "Long Long Goodbye" - very touching work.

2. She is nice to Ranka, and I love Ranka - so anyone who is nice to Ranka is a-ok.

3. ...Hmm....nope - can't find any more reasons :)

Sheryl is still a concieted bitch though - she hunted down Alto to threaten him and bully him into not publishing a certain picture... sheesh - although I THINK she must like him.

After all - she would sooner just buy a new set of ear-rings than "discover" another reason to go track him down again...

As for the funeral of Gilium - it was very touching - more so than the military one it contrasted with.

Also - am I misunderstanding or did Giliam's body literally become recycled into some kind of natural materials with which to fertilize the ground and make the air more breathable?

I guess it's a poetic tribute insofar as fertile ground and air are truly miraculous comodities to have in space - so it would make sense to use dead bodies as a natural resource - and it probably would not be viewed as "low" and "merely utilitarian" because - as Ozma noted in his eulogy - Giliam continues to be of service in death as he was in life - there is suddenly a poetry to the economical usage of dead bodies - one that seems to over-ride any misgivings we might have of this kind of practice being somehow abhorent and immoral.

Or I completely misunderstood the scene :)

Ranka and Alto's meeting on the mountain reminded me of Guld and Miung's meeting in a similar setting. Albeit the content of the meetings was very different.

Well - all in all there is little more to say about this episode. It does an excellent job of rounding out the opening three -episode ark.

Michael is established as a great sniper. Alto goes from dreamy kid to SMS recruit. Ranka goes from Idol worshiping chick to "I'm going to make something of myself" contender...

Oh - the only surprising thing for me is Leon and Cathy Glass!! Cometely didn't see that one coming! And here I was thinking Leon a bit asexual.

For some reason Leon makes me think he should be in Gundam, not in Macross. I think it's the hair do and his general demeanor. It's as though he was a reject from a Gundam series who was taken aboard for Macross Frontier.

A pity for Glass - she resembles Misa Hayese very superficially - from her looks to her behavior - but ultimately as the first three episodes have shown she is completely not like Hayese... oh well...

VFTF1