Ghost in the Shell Live Action - March 31, 2017

Mechinyun

True, like you said it just needs to be used in the correct context. 

To say :

"Please come in Major" or "take the shot Major" is proper and correct, but when addressing herself or identifying her as just Major like:

"who is that?" "that is Major" or "I am Major" like they are is just weird.

5 hours ago, Dobber said:

True, like you said it just needs to be used in the correct context. 

To say :

"Please come in Major" or "take the shot Major" is proper and correct, but when addressing herself or identifying her as just Major like:

"who is that?" "that is Major" or "I am Major" like they are is just weird.

Agree- the use of 'Major' as a name rather than her rank is a bit odd. I've not read the manga, but in the '95 movie, SAC, and I believe in Arise, Major is her rank. I hope they keep at least the Motoko part of her name, although if she's Motoko Major, that'll be really weird.:wacko:

By all indicators, her working name appears to be the Mira Killian mentioned a page ago, with the writers forcing "Major" into the script, likely on orders from producers, in an attempt to distance the film as much as they can from the whitewashing. It's a political, not creative, concession and an unnecessary one at that (just like the initial whitewashing), which is why it's so off-putting.

20 hours ago, sh9000 said:

That's pretty cool. Always fun seeing Adam Savage blown away!

And, it's always better seeing someone takeing joy in something like this, rather than going down a troll's rant of nit-picking and complaining about something they haven't even seen yet...

Thanks for the link.

Saw the trailer for this while watching Beauty and the Beast and I really don't know.  Seems like they changed the whole vibe of it to a "you made me but can't control me" bit with the Major.  Granted that was part of the original but never so heavy handed in execution as the Live Action ads seem to make it.  

I'm still going to see it in Imax.

Great eye candy in that clip! The cityscape looks like right from the animation, love the score, everything brings back some 80's style right into the future.

Even if the movie turns out to be some kind of "best of GITS scenes cobbled together with some kind of plot", it will be fun to watch.

6 minutes ago, Thom said:

Was zoned out on IMGUR when I came across this.

Interesting.  Though, it should be pointed out that the GiTS manga came out about 2 generations ago, and the anime movies/TV series about 1 generation ago (talking people generations here).

In cultural and age context for the people they're interviewing, the originals would be roughly akin to how the average North American feels about "Gone With The Wind" and "Casablanca".

So, take what they're saying with a grain of salt.  GiTS will never be at the same order of magnitude as say, the casting of Chinese actresses in "Memoirs of a Geisha".

This also points to the distinction between "Japanese" and "Japanese-American." To Japanese-Americans, World War II's most personal memory is the internment camps; to the Japanese, it's the atom bomb. There's cultural crossover for sure, and it's definitely worth noting how and where they view the same thing differently, but too often this sort of stuff gets used to try and delegitimize minority American perspectives. If Japanese people are okay with whitewashing, then Japanese-Americans should shut their mouths... except Japanese people by and large didn't have to deal with the consequences of whitewashing, Japanese-Americans did.

Anyway, however else I feel about the movie, it does have some damn impressive special effects. It's nice to see Weta bringing their A-game; I don't remember them working on any "big" projects since King Kong. The Hobbit movies, I guess, but I didn't watch past the first one, so...

One interesting point that it raises, though, is how the average Japanese perceives anime in general: the characters themselves are international (or foreign, but that is also a loaded word that should be taken with a grain of salt).

22 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

My opinion on the white washing bit, I don't give a rip when the Japanese remake something from the US/UK (RAN, I'm looking at you in particular) using Japanese actors.

Bollywood has been currywashing for ages, nobody cares

54 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

My opinion on the white washing bit, I don't give a rip when the Japanese remake something from the US/UK (RAN, I'm looking at you in particular) using Japanese actors.

Hahaha :D

This reminds me of something the Japanese made, that DID weird me out: Thermae Romae.  I get that it was made for the domestic market, and there's a dearth of good quality Western actors in Japan, but still...

7 hours ago, sketchley said:

One interesting point that it raises, though, is how the average Japanese perceives anime in general: the characters themselves are international (or foreign, but that is also a loaded word that should be taken with a grain of salt).

I wonder about this, too, and how prevalent this thinking is in Japan. I was always under the impression that, generally, Japanese audiences understand anime characters as "Japanese" (insofar as nationality is at all applicable to anime) whenever it comes to how they specifically interact with the characters. But then again, anime in Japan encompasses literally all animation; the term isn't used nearly as specifically as it is here. Heck, the "term" isn't even a term, it's just a Japanese tendency to shorthand EVERYTHING. And even here people argue that stuff like Avatar, Wakfu, Samurai Jack, Adventure Time, etc. fall under the American definition of "anime." One Youtuber likens anime to historical art movements like the Renaissance, modernism, etc., which I think is a... better way to understand it, but anyway.

3 hours ago, Dynaman said:

2 hours ago, Nightbat said:

Bollywood has been currywashing for ages, nobody cares

They also didn't organize their society around race like we did, so... Like, I get what you guys are trying to say, but you're comparing apples to oranges here.

If Japan had won the war, let's say, and they continued their experimenting on Chinese and Korean POWs, and brought over a bunch of Chinese and Koreans and settled them into the slums of Japan and then systematically leeched off of them financially and socially for the next seventy years, meanwhile marveling at how primitive "mainlanders" are, and in the meantime Korea recovered from the war and made a sick-ass action movie, and then Japan started saying to themselves, "You know what? We don't like racism anymore," and then took that sick-ass action movie and recast it using Japanese actors who had infinitely more exposure than their Korean-Japanese counterparts, THEN that would be more comparable to whitewashing. You can bet that Korean-Japanese population would be throwing up as much of a fuss over the casting decision as Asian Americans are over GitS's whitewashing.

Still with the whitewashing bit? :rolleyes: I thought we were over this. Hollywood has been whitewashing forever. I'm not sure what the big deal is this time. I didn't hear this much uproar when they had a dude from London playing Bane, who was clearly Hispanic in the source material, or any time this has occurred. 

30 minutes ago, Phobos said:

Still with the whitewashing bit? :rolleyes: I thought we were over this. Hollywood has been whitewashing forever. I'm not sure what the big deal is this time. I didn't hear this much uproar when they had a dude from London playing Bane, who was clearly Hispanic in the source material, or any time this has occurred. 

Eh. Someone brought it up, and I'm fine with discussing it. I try not to drag it on because I know most people here aren't as comfortable and/or interested in it as I am, but if someone wants to discuss it, then I'm game. /shrug