Ghost in the Shell Live Action - March 31, 2017

Mechinyun

Never seen any of the manga or the anime. I've only seen the trailer and I like the trailer. The visuals are stunning, the androids look cool and creepy at the same time and I like the mechanical adaptations in the actors. I also love Scar Jo and think she looks hot in that body suit. Even if it's only a story of her trying to find her past and whether or not she has been betrayed from the start, as long as there is hard action to help drive the story, I'm in!

Edited by Thom

Well, if it follows the various anime (I've never read the manga), hard action there will be, and hopefully some sort of mecha tank to contend with.

GitS generally has a bit of philosophy thrown in, and I hope at least an iota of that makes it into the film.

Edit: Unexpectedly well done homage to the the movie- the "shelling" has remained one of my favorite sequences in anime, and seeing how faithful they are to this gives me hope for the rest of the film.

Edited by M'Kyuun

Meh I'm not feeling Scarlett Johansson as the major

First of all, I can't shake the "Hey, that's Natasha Romanoff" situation, her role as Black Widow being way to current

Secondly, whenever I think of 'a' Live Action Major Kusanagi, someone along the lines of Charlize Theron in Aeon Flux comes to mind

(though it does not have to specifically be Theron)

Not sure how this escaped my attention before, but I just noticed that Kawamori did some design work for the original GitS movie. Anyone of hand which designs are his in there? The tachikomas perhaps?

Not sure how this escaped my attention before, but I just noticed that Kawamori did some design work for the original GitS movie. Anyone of hand which designs are his in there? The tachikomas perhaps?

Based on ANN, he did Mechanical Design on GitS. I'm assuming probably this one:

tumblr_nyaivm9g2o1s23wejo3_1280.jpg

Based on ANN, he did Mechanical Design on GitS. I'm assuming probably this one:

Nope. Shoji Kawamori Design works credits him with the helicopters. Also the handwriting on the spider-tank lineart looks too legible. Kawamori's handwriting is slightly more 4-year old scribbling-like.

Nope. Shoji Kawamori Design works credits him with the helicopters. Also the handwriting on the spider-tank lineart looks too legible. Kawamori's handwriting is slightly more 4-year old scribbling-like.

This.

He also did the helicopters in the Patlabor movies (and I think the F-15 Kai that show up in the 2nd one, too). As well as the 'Road Runner' Patlabor.

GitS 'copters by Kawamori-san:

http://www.serenadawn.com/GITS-Vehicles_clip_image001.gif

http://www.serenadawn.com/GITS-Vehicles_clip_image007.gif

Edited by sketchley

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, electric indigo said:

I started work on the Majormobile. Fujimi Lotus Esprit S1, paper mockups for the body modifications.

31247851123_bc7b7ca395_z.jpg

Sweet!  Classic OZ Racing 3 pc wheels.  I haven't seen those in over a decade!

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/15/2016 at 5:08 AM, no3Ljm said:

Mixed Media 1/4 Scale Statue - THE MAJOR

Weta Collectibles

April 2017

$449.99

WTA10284.jpg

Somehow the expression reminds me of Michael Keaton  :lol:. Hope they will revise it to a more feminine feature.

So is this her cyber body, or is it her optical camo suit ?

Edited by trojan_gambit

Not a Tachi in that scene; it's most likely the T08A2 Spider Tank from the end of the '95 film, as it's attacking the Major in a dark building, even showing the scene where she's hiding behind a concrete column while the thing is blasting it apart. This movie is going to be one big homage to the '95 film, with bits of the other incarnations thrown in for variety. Looking forward to seeing it.

Yeaahhh lets see scarjo do a flip up the stairs!

Still remember the first time i saw pillars and walls being shot up in the appleseed manga...good stuff...

So stoked if they try to recreate the tank scene....always wondered tho why didnt the tank just blast the damm column away while she was setting-up...

Edited by seti88

Hey Seti! Hope you also remember this cool scene from the Matrix. If it's something like that or more than that, I'll be happy. ^_^

Since they're paying homage to almost all of GiTS movies and series, I hope they incorporate some music stuff from the Stand Alone Complex series. Would love to hear Stamina Rose on it. ;)

21 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Hey Seti! Hope you also remember this cool scene from the Matrix. If it's something like that or more than that, I'll be happy. ^_^

Since they're paying homage to almost all of GiTS movies and series, I hope they incorporate some music stuff from the Stand Alone Complex series. Would love to hear Stamina Rose on it. ;)

Oh boy do i remember that scene, all the debris flying and the coolness and attitude... heavy john woo/anime/manga influence coming to life and done right, baby!

Crossing fingers, that mr sanders knows how to deliver it! Anticipating with dread how much they toy spider tank is gonna be!

I also hope ScarJo hides her emotions/acts wooden like keanu does. I miss the cyborg stare from the GITS anime and from the trailer ScarJo's eyes are still a lil too human for me.  

That stamina rose OST certainly is what GITS needs! I didnt catch SAC in its entirety, having dropped off (nodded off? :D) after innocence.

Am all pumped now, and in the mood for a proper movie!

Edited by seti88

5 hours ago, seti88 said:

Oh boy do i remember that scene, all the debris flying and the coolness and attitude... heavy john woo/anime/manga influence coming to life and done right, baby!

Crossing fingers, that mr sanders knows how to deliver it! Anticipating with dread how much they toy spider tank is gonna be!

I also hope ScarJo hides her emotions/acts wooden like keanu does. I miss the cyborg stare from the GITS anime and from the trailer ScarJo's eyes are still a lil too human for me.  

That stamina rose OST certainly is what GITS needs! I didnt catch SAC in its entirety, having dropped off (nodded off? :D) after innocence.

Am all pumped now, and in the mood for a proper movie!

Hahaha! I'm not going to blame you regarding that psychological nonsense that is the Innocence. But just so you know, Innocence is not part of SAC series. But SAC has great moments too when it comes to action scenes and moods with matching great soundtrack. ;) 

But regarding ScarJo, yeah, she still has that same 'non-emotional' face like we saw on her MCU movies. I want to see something 'blank state' look like Keanu on Matrix. ^_^ 

I wasn't planning to watch this but that super bowl spot has lots of scenes straight from the animated movies. I like that they incorporated it though I'm not really enthusiastic about the over-all story, Anyway, a rewatch of the animated movies will be helpful/recommended before seeing this one.

I'm actually looking forward to this. I'm a little worried now though because how good it's looking in trailers is really increasing the risk of disappointment if the full film doesn't live up to it.

On 2/6/2017 at 6:37 AM, hachi said:

I wasn't planning to watch this but that super bowl spot has lots of scenes straight from the animated movies. I like that they incorporated it though I'm not really enthusiastic about the over-all story, Anyway, a rewatch of the animated movies will be helpful/recommended before seeing this one.

Or... watch the animated movies afterwards just in case the movie is a disappointment. ^_^ 

On 08/02/2017 at 5:43 AM, no3Ljm said:

Or... watch the animated movies afterwards just in case the movie is a disappointment. ^_^ 

I don't have high expectations so I'm sure I won't be that disappointed. But I will then complain. A lot. :p

On 08/02/2017 at 10:54 AM, trojan_gambit said:

To be safe, watch only one of them, either the animation only or movie only.

This way, you won't be disappointed, because you won't be comparing them.   :lol:

No, the critic in me wants to compare. And then complain about any flaw I find. lol

Seriously I've rewatched the movies in the past so I know what's supposed to happen. I just don't wanna miss out on homages just because I forgot some less memorable scenes. On that note, a reread of the manga should also be considered. :D