1/100 Toynami Valks Thread

Vermillion21

I wasn't the one who moved it to "Other". It was like that when the board was restarted---I simply posted an explanation for why I thought it might be here instead of "Toys".

My best guess was that this was one of the "lost" threads that Shawn had to restore/title/place manually. And I was reluctant to move it from where Shawn personally put it.

Note that, the title is simply "1/100 Toynami valks"----if Shawn's not up on them, he most likely assumed they were Robotech toys--I know he had to re-do hundreds of threads himself and probably didn't read through them to analyze, and placed them simply by their titles. Otherwise the board probably would have taken another 5 days to repair.

And that goes with my earlier explanation---if you hear "Toynami" you probably think "Robotech"----and that's probably why whoever put the thread in this forum did so, without knowing they are technically Macross toys this time around.

Edited by David Hingtgen

Got the set from Kev (post V-E) and these little valks have grown on me. I've only played with the 1A Hikkie since I like how the head looks. The 1S and Max's 1A are still mint.

My big complaint is about the friggin' stand which broke withing minutes of playing with it. The stand has a little rubber cup that just cracked appart like butter :angry:

Other than that, G, and B modes are my favorite transitions. Specially standing right next to the Yammie Monster. I really don't know if I want to get the up comming releases, but at least I'm going to get the FP's for these 3 buggers. The 1/60 YF-19 is breaking my back... Must safe some mulah...

I bought two sets of these guys (I think I average less then $20 a piece) - one set for storage and the other set is to put on display here are work... in fact they're sitting on the book case right behind me waiting to be put on display. Was also able to get Hikaru VF-1S for free. :D

Thanks for everyone mentioning about the stand being a source of problems. I'll try to be careful with it.

Well... I emailed toynami about getting new stand pieces. They must be inundated, 'cuz they're sure as heck not writing me back. Oooh, by the way, now that I'm used to these things, I think they VF1S head does look cool. And of course, I don't even need to mention the 1As. They look as cool as they possible coulda' made'em.

Okay yes, I got a reply from Toynami! I get replacement sockets! Man, I have to feel for their company, it has to be a bit pricey to be sending out so many replacements. I gotta' respect'em for shipping the new stand pieces though - good policy, and makes me a definite future customer.

As for fighter mode looking ugly... I disagree, I think they look way-cool. Can't complain!

...Man, I have to feel for their company, it has to be a bit pricey to be sending out so many replacements. I gotta' respect'em for shipping the new stand pieces though - good policy, and makes me a definite future customer.

I have a hard time feeling sorry for them. They were penny wise and pound foolish with the stands; you'd think they would have designed the stands to be able to take the minor amount of stress an attached Valkyrie, their Valkyrie, would put on the stand's socket. After test shots were made, the parts should have been put through a life test regimen to identify possible design/engineering/manufacturing/material flaws, and any problems addressed before release as to avoid having to go through what they are facing now. The fact that so many people have complained about sockets splitting within hours of having the figures mounted for display tells me that they never even tried them out; or if they did, they didn't care (this is euphemistically called a post purchase complaint in the industry. As long as marketing makes its numbers, everything else is background noise)... I'm sure this little fiasco has reduced their profit margin by a good 10%, but they have no one to blame but themselves.

I do have to give them props for their costumer relations, and willingness to address complaints and requests for replacements promptly... at least one part of the company knows how to do business.

I bit harsh? Maybe, but that's the way I feel.

I am glad they are responding to the issue of the broken stands. That is a step in the right direction in dealing with issues like these. They should if they want to continue. As mechaninac said they dont deserve pity. They should have tested it further and identified issues. Now if they took it as a risk if they knew about the problem then they pay the price.

If toys are macross, they go here in the toys sections. If it deals with Robotech, it goes into the Other Anime section. At least that is what I understand from the rules. Just because it is Toynami, it goes into the other section? Look at the Hikaru man doll thread. Where did that end up?

QUOTE(danth @ Aug 14 2006, 01:44 PM)

Look at that...just look at it. And then remember the people who said this toy is ugly. Can you ever trust them again?

Frankly I still think they are fugly. I saw them in the anime shop when I was back in Seattle. I looked at it and the guy was saying it was great and trying to get me to buy it. For $30, I said hell no. Upon further inspection, it looked funky to me. Proportions are wacked. Sure I dont like Toynami and their QC. But as an objective observer, the valk doesnt look right. Does it cloud my judgement ifI have felt jilted on the MPCs I bought from them even thought I bought them at way below retail price for all of them except one? Maybe. Is it because I dont trust them anymore? You damn right I dont. I feel my money should go elsewhere. I agreed with Exo whether or not The only good thing I can say is that they did a great job on the Voltron MPC. The MPC Alphas were step up but still fell below my expectations. But I am digressing since this thread is about the 1/100.

You guys have your opinions that it is beautiful and I have my opinion that it is fugly. Whether or not you trust me because of the statements I made about the 1/100, that is your problem. :p

i have the feeling that people would be all over these IF the price point were a bit lower......

say if it was a $15 retail valk or maybe $20 WITH fastpacks.... i think everyone would jump on the bandwagon just to try it out because the price point is fair for the quality....

but when the valk alone retails for $20... that's when everyone notices the fuglyness or the funky proportions and get turned off..... for $20... you could get a far superior Alternator or something else.....

Godzilla.... if you saw that Valk in store for half the price he offered it at... EVEN though it was fugly to you... would you have picked it up????

Godzilla.... if you saw that Valk in store for half the price he offered it at... EVEN though it was fugly to you... would you have picked it up????

No regardless they make a low vis of it. It isnt anime accurate. When I looked at it, the answer was already no. I'll stick with 1/48s. It maybe expensive but I invest something worth my while. Ppl bash yamato or think I am yamato fanboy. Whatever. My opinion, not anybody elses. If you agree, great. If not, aint freedom grand that we can express our opinions without persecution?

They're not that fugly. Once you apply all the decals and some detailing of the lines, they look good. I'll have to post some pics of a quick custom I did of the VF-1A Max I bought.

{Only had my camera-phone on me at the time, sorry they're bad.}

post-1545-1158367751_thumb.jpg post-1545-1158367769_thumb.jpg

post-1545-1158367785_thumb.jpg post-1545-1158367807_thumb.jpg

post-1545-1158367735_thumb.jpg

Edited by jodokast

They're not that fugly. Once you apply all the decals and some detailing of the lines, they look good. I'll have to post some pics of a quick custom I did of the VF-1A Max I bought.

{Only had my camera-phone on me at the time, sorry they're bad.}

Those pictures do not do the toy ANY justice. They do, however, show that the weakest mode for these is fighter (especially when viewed from a side profile). I have two now (Max 1A and Hikaru 1S) and I like them. They're no Yamato 1/48, but they're nice for $15-$20.

I saw someone mention that for $20 you can get a superior TF Alternator. That's simply not a fair argument in my opinion. Transformers have a much larger fan base and much larger production runs so they can be cheaper. For instance, you can get a Masterpiece Starscream for less than a 1/48 VF-1 or 1/60 VF-0. If we're gonna make issue of recent price points, let's be fair and start taking issue with Yamato's skyrocketing rates as well.

Edited by mister_e

I couln't agree more.

Still, I can't get enough of these little guys. Size, display, and playability are all a plus. The major drawback on these is the price. I's say these are worth 10.00 maybe 12.00 at the most. But that's just my opinion.

Another great advantage is that there will be Fast/Strike packs available. Back in the days the TT 1/100 never had the option nor hint of any. They were only reserved for 1/100 models, that well, were no prized pigs themselves.

I for one am glad these are out. They help me save a lot of shelf space. If Toynami decides to release all the varients more power to them and lets just hope they stay at the same price. ;)

Those pictures do not do the toy ANY justice. They do, however, show that the weakest mode for these is fighter (especially when viewed from a side profile). I have two now (Max 1A and Hikaru 1S) and I like them. They're no Yamato 1/48, but they're nice for $15-$20.

I saw someone mention that for $20 you can get a superior TF Alternator. That's simply not a fair argument in my opinion. Transformers have a much larger fan base and much larger production runs so they can be cheaper. For instance, you can get a Masterpiece Starscream for less than a 1/48 VF-1 or 1/60 VF-0. If we're gonna make issue of recent price points, let's be fair and start taking issue with Yamato's skyrocketing rates as well.

WELL SAID

I can't find these yet, have they been released nation wide yet? The people I know of who do have them got them from AX, ordered online, or from Frank and Sons. I keep waiting for these to show up@my local comic shop

I've gotta say, I like them. There the perfect toy to have on your desk at work. Yes at work, I'm not shy. I'll admit there lacking in alot of areas but there cool when you need to get a quick valkyrie fix:)

And I do have to admit the Toynami didn't do to bad on them. They blow the MPC out of the water. Too bad that this will probably be the best Macross toy they'll ever release.

so, why the people who bought these 1/100's are pretty shy to show the pictures of the toys here? are they THAT so fukiiiin ugly?? why oh tell me why....

How many different pics of the same toy do you really need? I think people stopped posting pics because pics of it in every mode have been put up. I could spam the thread with tons of pics if you like... I just don't see a call for it.

You guys have your opinions that it is beautiful and I have my opinion that it is fugly. Whether or not you trust me because of the statements I made about the 1/100, that is your problem.

I just think your perspective is skewed because you probably have your expectations set too high. If you compare it to anything other than a Yamato 1/48 it looks decent. If you then consider it's about half the size and cost of those other valks you could compare it to *I* think it looks even better. I'm certainly not saying it's fan-diddily-tastic, but it's better than the MPC and I think it's more fun than a Yamato 1/60 or a chunky. For you though, you don't seem to have any financial worries when it comes to collecting, and you obviously have the space, so you're right, why bother with a smaller toy that's not even trying to compete with the 1/48?

Edited by jenius

I have a hard time feeling sorry for them. They were penny wise and pound foolish with the stands; you'd think they would have designed the stands to be able to take the minor amount of stress an attached Valkyrie, their Valkyrie, would put on the stand's socket. After test shots were made, the parts should have been put through a life test regimen to identify possible design/engineering/manufacturing/material flaws, and any problems addressed before release as to avoid having to go through what they are facing now. The fact that so many people have complained about sockets splitting within hours of having the figures mounted for display tells me that they never even tried them out; or if they did, they didn't care (this is euphemistically called a post purchase complaint in the industry. As long as marketing makes its numbers, everything else is background noise)... I'm sure this little fiasco has reduced their profit margin by a good 10%, but they have no one to blame but themselves.

I do have to give them props for their costumer relations, and willingness to address complaints and requests for replacements promptly... at least one part of the company knows how to do business.

I bit harsh? Maybe, but that's the way I feel.

Not harsh at all. I completely agree with you, down to the letter. B))

EDIT: Also, I gotta' add, I personally like these 1/100's better than the Yamato 1/60's. They're a lot easier to transform and pose. I think they look cool as hell too --- way better than banprestos, chunky monkeys, and probably every other macross toy ever pumped out aside from Yamatos. They are overpriced, yes. But so is everything else in this world.

Edited by GutsAndCasca

After having picked up a SDCC VF-1S Hikaru, I have to say these are pretty cool for the most part, especially in Battroid.

Likes: Joints are tight so it helds together very well, they are put together and painted well (well, what paint there is), nice detail (like how they added the detail on the inside of the hatch that opens up behind the head in Battroid and the thrusters in the feet), very poseable -- the most articulated Valkyrie at or near this scale to date. Like the new style shoulder joints which allow the shoulder covers to rotate inward and backward slightly. The box is cool, too, with the velcroed half that opens up. The stand is a definite plus, too.

Dislikes: Needs more accessories (antenna for Gerwalk, gunstrap, pilot figure), no cockpit (what the hell was the point of making a clear canopy then?!), lack of locking pieces to keep it together in fighter mode (especially, the backpack which flops down if you turn it upside down in fighter mode), back of knee joint is incomplete, back of neck piece doesn't rest on anything in Battroid, feet don't descend into the leg in fighter mode a la the 1/48's (I'm sure this could have been easily designed even at this scale like they did with the knee caps), box could have used more artwork like maybe a battle scene with the other Valkyries along with a summary of the Macross story on the back.

QC Word of Warning!!! The use of glue instead of screws on some of the mated parts can be a pain if something isn't assembled right at the factory (see below).

I don't know if anyone else had this problem, but the one I picked up on eBay, had a problem with one of the leg hatches for the landing gear -- the one on the left leg was placed upside down! What sucks is that the leg halves are glued together -- no screws! I had to pry open the bay where the cover sits with a couple of small screwdrivers to pop the hatch out of the holes on either side of the inside of the leg. I was able to get it out and back in the right way, but trying to get it back in using the same method was harder, and I also ran the risk of stressing or warping the leg halves if I kept at it too many times.

I still like these enough to want to purchase the rest, but I'll hunt around to see if I can get them at no more than $15 each, since I think $20-$25 is too much. I do hope they put out enemy mecha and a VE-1 and VT-1.

Edited by sidearmsalpha

I honestly hope they crank out a whole ton of 1/100 crap. And I hope that in the process they become more focused on all things pertaining to QC. Perhaps if they were a bigger toy company they'd have better quality toys? Maybe their factory sucks?

I honestly hope they crank out a whole ton of 1/100 crap. And I hope that in the process they become more focused on all things pertaining to QC. Perhaps if they were a bigger toy company they'd have better quality toys? Maybe their factory sucks?

Yamato got better very rapidly. Toynami has clearly not gotten better so rapidly (although I'd say they're taking baby steps as the MPC VF-1 to Alpha to Voltron and VF-1 1/100 all seem to show improvements over their predecessors). Still, I would hope that as Toynami turns profits it is able to reinvest that money in itself and improve in a manner similar to Yamato and one day actually compete with Yamato. If that were to happen it would force both companies to be more innovative and certainly force Yamato to start considering how much its asking for its toys...

Those are true words of wisdom. I can hardly imagine a world with a toy company able to compete with Yamato. And yes, even though I've grown somewhat numb (developed a low tolerance) for Yamato's prices, I still try to avoid thinking about the issue because I believe they're practically extorting $$$ from the fans.

Pricewise I can understand why you would like it. But as a collector, I spend enough money on toys let alone Macross. The thing is that I dont buy everything Macross. I skipped the poseables, Hikaru man-doll, etc. Yes my expectations are high. I'll admit that. I like Yamato b/c I havent had any real issues (knock on wood) like loose limbs, 2 right shoulders, broken tailfins, etc. especially on my VF-0S. I also know at least Yamato listens to their fans (to a certain degree) based on their track record. Right now I rather be picky than buy everything. As I get older, I start to realize that I have to be a smart collector.

As for the 1/100 for itself. It isnt bad compared to say the baneprestos, I give it that much credit when comparing apples to apples.

I am not saying competition is bad. Somethings I can agree with is thatit could force Yamato to face the pricing. Believe me, I wouldnt mind if the prices do go down as I buy in bulk. It hurts. On the flip side, if the USD was stronger against the Yen, that would help. If shipping wasnt so high, that would help too.

What really drove the craziness of Yamato's price home for me was when I was sitting here thinking how crazy the price of the PS3 was. I was thinking "Man, that's stupid, I'm gonna wait until that thing drops $200 in price to pay for it." Then I got my email from Neova (Anthony) telling me I owed $450 for various Yamato products. Hmm, a few toys that I can throw on a shelf or a small computer that plays blu-ray DVDs... man, I need to start spending my money more wisely.

Would there ever be a chance these get released down under?

When was the last time anything Macross (besides dvd's) saw it's way

on Australian shores. :( Back when RT was first aired on tele. damn!

Be refreshing you know, Macross on the shelves, less craptastic toys for

once would be great!!! I'm sick of shipping the goodies! >_<

That's my dream, walk into a toy store and go sick with the cash an come

home with a bag full of Valks! :D Only way i can do this is to get off in

Japan between flights. :p This i have yet to acheive.

I am really considering getting these! :D Thinking of me future kids,

no way they are getting 1/48's, the 1/100's will do just nicely.

And i want a couple too!! Be nice to play around with a valk and not need

2 hands to whoosh it around while no one is looking.

Ohh and making those cool *Beheerrrhhrhrhrhrhrhrhrhhh* gunpod sounds is always fun.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

I think it has a whirling sound mixed with a buzzsaw but imagine a giant equivalent to that.

Bwrrrrrr-z-zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (with a very quick vibration in each z noise)

But the official sound for all aircraft should be *schwoo!

*as in the masterpiece starscream ad :D

Lasers: Pachoo (the kind of sfx you hear in a 80s arcade game)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker