1/100 Toynami Valks Thread

Vermillion21

I know people want to hate Toynami, with good reason, but this thing simply outshines all of their previous efforts.  Is it the perfect valk toy?  No, but none of them really are, and this one is at least free (from what we've seen so far) from the multitude of QC problems and poor paint apps that all other Toynami stuff is plagued by.  Actually, so far, the beloved 1/48s have had more QC problems than this thing.  I'm not trying to pimp Toynami or anything, I think they're still a fairly sub-par toy company, but I do like to give credit where it's due.

424767[/snapback]

So what you're saying is that this is the best toynami can do...

lol... I guess that's why I dislike them. :D;)

Funny how some members will use a few reported QC issues to "prove" to others how terrible Toynami is, but are totally forgiving of equally or worse QC issues from Yamato. Sheesh! I at least hope these people know that they are fanboys. The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.

The fact is, there are a few members here who were NOT going to like these no matter how they turned out. Once someone makes up their mind that they're not going to give something a fair/unbiased shot, there's no convincing them. To all you other, more open minded fans, these are a decent little transforming VF-1 toys at a reasonable price (compared to other Macross toys)

I wonder what exactly is causing these pieces to break?  Do you think it's just the material used?  Do you think it was possibly broken in the package and you didn't notice or do you think it broke from the weight of supporting the valk?

424410[/snapback]

I think it's weird when I hear about this. I've had my 1/100 for like a week, it's been displayed in various modes and poses, and it's never fallen off. Once again, use some gorilla glue, and then file/dremel off the excess dried glue.

t I do like to give credit where it's due.

424767[/snapback]

Dante?!

424771[/snapback]

eh?

424780[/snapback]

*laughing*

Addition: These little toys are supposed to look toy-ish/cartoony. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't believe this is Toynami's equivalent of trying to compete with the 1/48 in terms of all around perfection. It's impossible to make a 1/100 scale toy as perfect as a 1/48 scale toy.

As for QC issues, I'll tell you I'm WAY more pissed that my Roy Focker's right arm won't stay bent on my 1/48, especially since it cost me like 150 bucks. I'm also pissed that some of my missile attachments won't even go onto the wings no matter how hard you press them. (This happens on various 1/48 scale valks that I have) I'm pissed that on my GBP armor the missiles don't pop out right anymore on the right side of the chest; that broke the second time I opened it. I don't like how the nose cone won't stay on Roy. I'm pissed that every single Yamato valk I own came with piece-of-crap stickers when they cost so much. My MPCs came with better stickers. I've had more Yamato QC issues than what I'm listing here; I'm just trying to make a point. Even the best Macross toys come with defects. Having two people's (out of how many?) little stands crack isn't proof that Toynami is and will always remain the worst toy company ever made. Can we get a banpresto review in the house?

Edited by GutsAndCasca

Funny how some members will use a few reported QC issues to "prove" to others how terrible Toynami is, but are totally forgiving of equally or worse QC issues from Yamato. Sheesh! I at least hope these people know that they are fanboys. The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.

The fact is, there are a few members here who were NOT going to like these no matter how they turned out. Once someone makes up their mind that they're not going to give something a fair/unbiased shot, there's no convincing them. To all you other, more open minded fans, these are a decent little transforming VF-1 toys at a reasonable price (compared to other Macross toys)

424796[/snapback]

It's funny how when you criticize Toynami, Toynami fanboys (that won't admit they are) goes directly to Yamato QC issues. I for one criticize Yamato QC issues too. But retorts like that tell me that the toy can't stand up on its own without finding faults from other lines. I was ready to buy the first of these toys but fortunately I got to look at one before I spent my money... I could say it again and again and you guys would skip right over that fact because its your best defense. :rolleyes: I've bought my fair share of Toynami toys too, so how biased is it when I'm critizising toys that I spent good money on? And yes I'm a fanboy... that's why I'm in these forums and why I keep hoping something good would come out for me to waste my money on. The fact is, my opinion is a negative one. And negativity is probably going to get some harsh opposition... but biased? I dont think so.

Yamato has an excellent track record at making necessary adjustments. Since that's the case most members here don't seem to mind their initial SNAFUs. The 1/48 is a brilliant product and its release has defintely caused many members to develop brand loyalty (or fanboyism if you prefer). I've never really been a fan of brand loyalty, I think it's a lazy concept unfit of capitalism, but Yamato has definitely been doing the right thing regardless.

How many members have had the following problems:

1/48 crooked skulls on tailfins

1/48 broken BP8

1/60 screw covers that aren't glued in properly

1/60 froppiness

1/60 GBP with a crotch that needs tape to stay on

1/72 VF-11Bs with broken hips

1/72 tab B

1/72 paint that seems to jump off the product

I'd list Toynami's known issues but it'd take too long and it seems to be completley random. When I buy an MPC, I have no idea what part is likely to have a problem, at least Yamato is consistent with their QC bugs.

So anyway, the 1/100 seems to have an issue that a few members have run into. People who weren't going to buy these to begin with have another excuse for not buying it. People who were going to buy it might still want to think of what percentage of people are having a problem and what measures can be done to be a bit on the safer side with the potential problem.

It's funny how when you criticize Toynami, Toynami fanboys (that won't admit they are) goes directly to Yamato QC issues. I for one criticize Yamato QC issues too. But retorts like that tell me that the toy can't stand up on its own without finding faults from other lines.

Well, sometimes you also just need a point of reference also. "This toy feels cheap." It is cheap. "This toy has problems." What toy doesn't? It also seems that some people detracting from the 1/100 want to compare it to the 1/48 which isn't exactly a level playing field.

Edited by jenius

I've seen people on here say they don't want a 1/100 because they'd rather have a 1/48. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd say that's what brought Yamato into the fray. And like Jenius said: Comparing the 1/100 with [any] Yamato Macross toys isn't a level playing field. My point I'd like people to consider is that nothing is perfect, especially in comparative price ranges. The 1/100 and [anything Yamato] are completely different things. Starving kids in Africa don't pass on a bowl of rice because they'd rather have filet mignon. And on that note, sometimes I'm just more in the mood for a bowl of rice. RARELY, though. ;)

Well, sometimes you also just need a point of reference also.  "This toy feels cheap."  It is cheap.  "This toy has problems."  What toy doesn't?  It also seems that some people detracting from the 1/100 want to compare it to the 1/48 which isn't exactly a level playing field.

424808[/snapback]

ok, again why do you insist that my opinion is based off it's comparison to the 1/48? As I said... again... over and over... you can't defend this toy on its own without comparing it to how defenseless it is to the 1/48? If so then you're just strengthening my point.

As I said, $20 for this toy isn't cheap. It's a lot more affordable than *that other toy* but for $20 I'd at least expect it to come with FPs. Oh wow... I got a stand so maybe it's a deal after all. But ooops... the stand broke, but that's OK... the box is nice. I need to get one of these in my hands again to remind myself of the disspointment I had when I handled it the past times. But from what I remember the thing came apart during transformation. Ther couldnt bother to secure the legs in battroid mode as the swing bars just comes to a stop so a little mispositioning would make the upper body fall back. Not to mention that with the proportions all wrong (small legs, huge shoulders) it's probably my personal opinion but a strong one at that that it's an ugly valk. All that for $20. I can look at it further if you need me to. I can also go thru all the 1/72 and 1/60 valks Yamato toys if it'll make you guys happy. The point is, again... I dont like crappy toys. Silly me, but that's just the way I am.

ok, again why do you insist that my opinion is based off it's comparison to the 1/48? As I said... again... over and over... you can't defend this toy on its own without comparing it to how defenseless it is to the 1/48?

I could see where you felt that I was making that statement about you but I really wasn't. It just seems, in general, that a lot of people expressing dislike of this valk, both here and on other boards, are holding it to an unrealistically high expectation as if they were going to receive a miniaturized 1/48. If people started by expecting a larger, better looking, more sturdy Banpresto for only slightly more than the Banprestos then their reaction would likely be one of far greater enthusiasm. Maybe if they were starting from the viewpoint of the 1/60s they'd also be happy, the legs on my 1/60 always come off when I transform it :)

The point is, again... I dont like crappy toys. Silly me, but that's just the way I am.

I'm left to wonder if you feel any 1/100 scale toy could be made that you didn't find crappy. In that small of a scale certain compromises need to be made. Proportions will get thrown off to accomodate the parts used for transformation. The price point would necessitate a "snap together" construction. Snap together construction allows pull-apart deconstruction and from what I can tell it's pretty limited on these little guys and it never happens when they're in one mode or another, only during transformation if you're trying to fly through it.

Edited by jenius

ok, again why do you insist that my opinion is based off it's comparison to the 1/48? As I said... again... over and over... you can't defend this toy on its own without comparing it to how defenseless it is to the 1/48?

I could see where you felt that I was making that statement about you but I really wasn't. It just seems, in general, that a lot of people expressing dislike of this valk, both here and on other boards, are holding it to an unrealistically high expectation as if they were going to receive a miniaturized 1/48. If people started by expecting a larger, better looking, more sturdy Banpresto for only slightly more than the Banprestos then their reaction would likely be one of far greater enthusiasm. Maybe if they were starting from the viewpoint of the 1/60s they'd also be happy, the legs on my 1/60 always come off when I transform it :)

The point is, again... I dont like crappy toys. Silly me, but that's just the way I am.

I'm left to wonder if you feel any 1/100 scale toy could be made that you didn't find crappy. In that small of a scale certain compromises need to be made. Proportions will get thrown off to accomodate the parts used for transformation. The price point would necessitate a "snap together" construction. Snap together construction allows pull-apart deconstruction and from what I can tell it's pretty limited on these little guys and it never happens when they're in one mode or another, only during transformation if you're trying to fly through it.

424817[/snapback]

even the 1/60s are not miniature 1/48s. So I wouldn't expect it from something 1/100s... but engineering excuses? How hard would it be to put a small rounded peg on the swing bar, just like the 1/55s and it doesn't even have to be spring loaded, just a small dimple that goes into the fuselage. That doesn't require the greatest engineers in the world but would have added haf an hour into production costs. If they cut corners to save proportions then where did the money they save go? Cuz the proportions certainly arent there as I already stated.

I don't think that these look that terribly bad, but I haven't handled one yet either. I have some on preorder thru TMP which, if I don't like, I figure I can sell and get my money back.

As Jenius may remember me telling him when the MPC Alphas came out, I like to compare toys more based on scale than anything else. Like the Alphas when compared to a three-mode Gakken 1/55, I think that these visually look better than any other 1/100 transformable VF-1 to date. I'll have to wait and see to tell whether I'll really like them in a physical sense, once I've gotten one.

424767[/snapback]

Dante?!

424771[/snapback]

eh?

424780[/snapback]

Line from Clerks that Dante says. Give Credit where credit is due. Sorry watched it again last night on Comedy Central.

It's funny how when you criticize Toynami, Toynami fanboys (that won't admit they are) goes directly to Yamato QC issues.  I for one criticize Yamato QC issues too.  But retorts like that tell me that the toy can't stand up on its own without finding faults from other lines.  I was ready to buy the first of these toys but fortunately I got to look at one before I spent my money... I could say it again and again and you guys would skip right over that fact because its your best defense. :rolleyes: I've bought my fair share of Toynami toys too, so how biased is it when I'm critizising toys that I spent good money on?  And yes I'm a fanboy... that's why I'm in these forums and why I keep hoping something good would come out for me to waste my money on.  The fact is, my opinion is a negative one. And negativity is probably going to get some harsh opposition... but biased?  I dont think so.

424807[/snapback]

I was not saying your opinion is wrong. Opinions cannot be right or wrong. I respect your opinion. You have every right to dislike this toy for any reason you want. What I was trying to point out is the rampant hypocracy that is present on these boards when it comes to QC. My post was not directed at you EXO, although you seem to have thought otherwise.

I have one of these Toynami 1/100's and I like it. You have handled one and didn't like it. That's absoultely fine with me. We're two different people with different tastes/expectations in their toys. However, I have seen other members of this board accept shoddy QC from Yamato all while singing their praises, then turn around and just rip Toynami a new one citing QC and/or MSRP as major reasons why they "suck". To me, Yamato is just as overpriced as Toynami and have just as bad QC.

? How hard would it be to put a small rounded peg on the swing bar, just like the 1/55s and it doesn't even have to be spring loaded, just a small dimple that goes into the fuselage.

I really fail to see any problem with the swing bar and am mystified why it causes you such heartache. I assure you, in battloid it's quite locked in place. You're arguing for something that would make the front of the toy uglier without there being any real need for it (the very essence of poor engineering).

A more legitimate complaint would by to wonder why they didn't include some mode of fixing mechanism to the top of the intakes to the bottom the of the plane. I have to imagine they felt it'd make the toy more poseable in GERWALK to omit them.

Edited by jenius

424767[/snapback]

Dante?!

424771[/snapback]

eh?

424780[/snapback]

Line from Clerks that Dante says. Give Credit where credit is due. Sorry watched it again last night on Comedy Central.

424840[/snapback]

Ahhh...I think the only thing that could make me miss a Clerks reference is staying up until 2AM drinking and reminiscing with old college pals and then getting up at 7AM...which is what I did last night.

Back on topic... For anyone who hasn't gotten one and plans to, can you check the display stand connector that has been problematic and see if it's cracked right out of the package? I wonder if Toynami would replace the piece?

,Aug 13 2006, 05:14 PM]

lol...panel lined with pencil and stickered up. the stickers do suck. i don't think these should be $20 but they do look great displayed next to the monster.

424827[/snapback]

So....the non-event valks (all except for the VF-1S Hikaru) have grey canopies instead of clear? Anyone to confirm this?

1-100VF-1S.jpg

lol...panel lined with pencil and stickered up. the stickers do suck. i don't think these should be $20 but they do look great displayed next to the monster.

424827[/snapback]

wow That's Niiiice :o

that picture alone will give me a second opinion of toynami's.

424827[/snapback]

So....the non-event valks (all except for the VF-1S Hikaru) have grey canopies instead of clear? Anyone to confirm this?

424866[/snapback]

It just looks grey in the photo. The canopies are clear, but sort of frosted.

? How hard would it be to put a small rounded peg on the swing bar, just like the 1/55s and it doesn't even have to be spring loaded, just a small dimple that goes into the fuselage.

I really fail to see any problem with the swing bar and am mystified why it causes you such heartache. I assure you, in battloid it's quite locked in place. You're arguing for something that would make the front of the toy uglier without there being any real need for it (the very essence of poor engineering).

A more legitimate complaint would by to wonder why they didn't include some mode of fixing mechanism to the top of the intakes to the bottom the of the plane. I have to imagine they felt it'd make the toy more poseable in GERWALK to omit them.

424850[/snapback]

what is that? You decide what's a legitimate complaint and what isn't? A little tiny dimple wouldn't make a difference appearance wise but would makea world of difference IMO. The ones I looked at needed it badly.

I was not saying your opinion is wrong. Opinions cannot be right or wrong. I respect your opinion. You have every right to dislike this toy for any reason you want. What I was trying to point out is the rampant hypocracy that is present on these boards when it comes to QC. My post was not directed at you EXO, although you seem to have thought otherwise.

fair enough... I just thought it was funny that your response came directly after my post.

I think that these visually look better than any other 1/100 transformable VF-1 to date.

424835[/snapback]

I agree.

Visually these are far closer to the mark than any other 1/100 Valk I have seen.

Does the nose gear have two tires? It looks like it only has one on the left.

fair enough... I just thought it was funny that your response came directly after my post.

424905[/snapback]

Were I directing my statements at a specific person, I would have the balls to say their name or quote them directly, like this :D

424912[/snapback]

Well I admitted to mistaking you with someone with no balls. :p

what is that? You decide what's a legitimate complaint and what isn't? A little tiny dimple wouldn't make a difference appearance wise but would makea world of difference IMO. The ones I looked at needed it badly.

Well, here's the thing, I'm sitting here playing with one on my desk and I still can't understand where your problem is with the swing bar. It's locked in place in battloid mode without any bumps or whatever so is the problem for you in one of the other modes? Are you sure you didn't hold a Banpresto? On those I could totally see what you're talking about (I also have one of those on my desk) and yes, in battloid mode the swingarms do slop about on Banprestos.

,Aug 13 2006, 04:14 PM]

1-100VF-1S.jpg

424827[/snapback]

Nice panel line job mate - thanks for sharing!

:)

Well, here's the thing, I'm sitting here playing with one on my desk and I still can't understand where your problem is with the swing bar. It's locked in place in battloid mode without any bumps or whatever so is the problem for you in one of the other modes? Are you sure you didn't hold a Banpresto? On those I could totally see what you're talking about (I also have one of those on my desk) and yes, in battloid mode the swingarms do slop about on Banprestos.

424936[/snapback]

Oh... well. I guess I aint missing out much on how uncrappy the one you got is because I'm here at my desk looking at my 1/48. :lol:

How hard would it be to put a small rounded peg on the swing bar, just like the 1/55s and it doesn't even have to be spring loaded, just a small dimple that goes into the fuselage.  That doesn't require the greatest engineers in the world but would have added haf an hour into production costs. 

I'm with you there. If the 1/100's wings are closed in battloid mode, then the legs will stay in position just fine. However, if you want the wings open for a cool pose, the legs are totally loose. Maybe toynami didn't realize people would want to pose their Battloids with wings open -- which is pretty dumb.

If they cut corners to save proportions then where did the money they save go?  Cuz the proportions certainly arent there as I already stated.

424821[/snapback]

Okay, now I think you're crazy. I'll give you the shoulders -- they are too big -- but otherwise, the overall proportions rock.

,Aug 13 2006, 04:14 PM]

1-100VF-1S.jpg

424827[/snapback]

Look at that...just look at it. And then remember the people who said this toy is ugly. Can you ever trust them again?

Sidearms, i'll check mine out momentarily and see if I can't correct that gun droop. In the meantime I finally added a Banpresto review on might site if someone wants to check out this toy's closest competition.

Yes, this post is a shameless plug.

All%20Banprestos%201.JPG

Sidearms, I just checked, yes, I could have improved the angle of the gun.

Edited by jenius

Nice poses you got there. I read the review.

With regards to the fighter mode: it is possible to squeeze the whole handle of the gunpod between the arms (not inside the little empty chamber) while the arms are locking together. Nothing will snap since it is flexible enough that you can squash something between them. (the legs will brace the arms together tight enough so it won't fall out) Doing this means the gunpod actually sits a bit further forward though.

And the head lasers do move but they bend so you might want to grip them as close to the base as possible before trying to pose them if you don't want them to bend.

I have similar problem with the gunpod for the bandai 1/65 vf-19. You actually have to shave some plastic off so it sits closer to the belly.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker