1/100 Toynami Valks Thread

Vermillion21

Yeah, the 1S head sculpt looks really funky. But hey, like Jenius said, the only good 1S head I've EVER seen on a transformable toy is the 1/48. And, if in the future I can get more of these for 10 bucks a pop then hell yeah, my kid can have some. Maybe I'll get some more and customize'em if I'm bored. Gawd I'd have to be real bored... Anyway. I highly doubt these will ever be available for 10 dollars. I doubt 15 even. Believe it or not, ever since I started buying 1/48s, I haven't bought anything else - I got way picky. My MPCs haven't seen the light of day since. I guess my point is this; if even I plan on buying up these 1/100s, there's got to be many more people like me. I think they'll sell quickly. Try finding a robotech super poseable these days for less than 20 bucks. I dunno', I just wouldn't predict a gigantic (50%) price drop. Ever.

To be fair, the superposeables were sold at below half price for quite some time before seeing their prices start to increase again. Then again, Toynami seems to be on the outs with retailers these days so there's a chance that will keep the numbers in circulation limited. Limited circulations would probably keep the prices pretty static.

Yeah, the 1S head sculpt looks really funky. But hey, like Jenius said, the only good 1S head I've EVER seen on a transformable toy is the 1/48. And, if in the future I can get more of these for 10 bucks a pop then hell yeah, my kid can have some. Maybe I'll get some more and customize'em if I'm bored. Gawd I'd have to be real bored... Anyway. I highly doubt these will ever be available for 10 dollars. I doubt 15 even. Believe it or not, ever since I started buying 1/48s, I haven't bought anything else - I got way picky. My MPCs haven't seen the light of day since. I guess my point is this; if even I plan on buying up these 1/100s, there's got to be many more people like me. I think they'll sell quickly. Try finding a robotech super poseable these days for less than 20 bucks. I dunno', I just wouldn't predict a gigantic (50%) price drop. Ever.

423934[/snapback]

Just to be clear. Im not a hater, I have nothing against toynami. I actually like most of there stuff(if the price is good), unlike most people in these forums. It can say robotech, macross, whatever on the boxes, I just like toys. I like my MPC alphas. There not perfect, but I like them. Im just think if Im going to spend $20 on the 1/100, I might as well fork out another $10-$15 and get a Yamato 1/60 or a Bandai 1/55. The $20 price I guess in not too unreasonable, but by the time you buy the accessory set, youll be paying about $40 with all expenses considered, for a 1/100. Then if you want to get the complete collection.....you see where Im going.

Ill opt more for quality than quantity. If I had only $150 to spend and wanted a sophisticated collection, then I would get (1) 1/48. If I wanted a fun collection, then I would buy multiple 1/100 over the 1/48. For me personally, I will have the best of both worlds and just buy everything I can. :)

Im not sure about the toynami market in Utah, but here in So. Cal. there are toynami products by the thousands. I still find stuff from way back in 2002 sitting in the stores getting all dusty. Not mainstream stores, more like hole in the wall stores. I even find people selling stuff by the case at the swap meets. Like the SD keychains and figures.

I've lived in Utah for about two years now, and trust me on this one, NObody in this state knows what or who toynami is. I've yet to meet a single person who even knows what Japanese anime is. I had to introduce my wife, and she is hooked now, of course. But yeah, good luck finding anything in Utah that has anything to do with anime. I have to buy all my stuff through the internet. :(

If I walked into any store and saw anything Macross/Robotech I'd probably pee.

Im not sure about the toynami market in Utah, but here in So. Cal. there are toynami products by the thousands. I still find stuff from way back in 2002 sitting in the stores getting all dusty. Not mainstream stores, more like hole in the wall stores. I even find people selling stuff by the case at the swap meets. Like the SD keychains and figures.

423964[/snapback]

Uhm, could you pick me up some of those at your next swap meet? :D

The stickers do suck on these things hardcore.... because these are the only cheap enough for me to sticker up... i went ahead and applied them and wasn't too impressed...

but you know... i'm gonna keep buying these things because i love crap that comes with accessories and the stand is one of the best accesories this thing has....

i can do dynamic flight poses in all 3 modes and it looks good sitting there next to my Koenig.....

Now if only the fastpacks would come out at $4.99 each... hahaha.....

Im not sure about the toynami market in Utah, but here in So. Cal. there are toynami products by the  thousands. I still find stuff from way back in 2002 sitting in the stores getting all dusty. Not mainstream stores, more like hole in the wall stores. I even find people selling stuff by the case at the swap meets. Like the SD keychains and figures.

423964[/snapback]

I live in Georgia, and by the time anything anime related makes it to a hobby shop or comic store, it's more expensive than if I ordered it off the internet and had it shipped to my house.

I haven't really been following this too hard, but does Toynami plan to mass produce these or are they going to be things that I'll see at my local video game stores (like MPC Alphas awhile back)? I really only want a TV Max w/ fastpacks just b/c I'm a sucker for tiny toys that I can fidget with and don't take up tons of space. I'd buy the max w/ fastbacks for $30 total (I know that the fastpacks are sold separately).

Has anybody tried putting the super poseable fast pack equipment on the 1/100's or is the fast pack stuff permanently attached to the super poseables?

Edited by protostar8

Maybe this is a Toynami hater talking here but Toynami's track record is already bad enough. I am seriously disappointed with the MPC Veritechs. Sure the Book style is awesome but the valk is woefully lacking. Alpha was a somewhat improvement although that is debatable on whoever you talk to here. Now the crowning jem for Toynami is the Voltron MPC. I am actually impressed on the quality but remember this product aint Robotech nor Macross. As for the man doll, I am skipping it. Wanna cry highway robbery, IMO this would be it. $80 for a man doll? No offense but I have GI JOE 12" figures like Flint for way less than that and look just as good. Yes the fig is cool but way too high in my opinion. But I am digressing.

All I am saying that for me, no more shoddy toys despite it maybe one of its kind or it is Macross. I am just saying I am being selective and the 1/48s and upcoming 1/60s would be it for me. If I collecting anything macross whether the product sucked or not like Baneprestos, I think it would just be plain stupid. As I have said before it is a hobby not an obsession.

But hey, whatever floats yer boat. I am not against it that you buy 1/100 valks. You want to support shoddy stuff, by all means, go right ahead. :p It just means to me it encourages more shoddy stuff to be produced. After looking at the 1/100, the fighter mode is just fugly and way off scale.

Im not sure about the toynami market in Utah, but here in So. Cal. there are toynami products by the  thousands. I still find stuff from way back in 2002 sitting in the stores getting all dusty. Not mainstream stores, more like hole in the wall stores. I even find people selling stuff by the case at the swap meets. Like the SD keychains and figures.

423964[/snapback]

I live in Georgia, and by the time anything anime related makes it to a hobby shop or comic store, it's more expensive than if I ordered it off the internet and had it shipped to my house.

I haven't really been following this too hard, but does Toynami plan to mass produce these or are they going to be things that I'll see at my local video game stores (like MPC Alphas awhile back)? I really only want a TV Max w/ fastpacks just b/c I'm a sucker for tiny toys that I can fidget with and don't take up tons of space. I'd buy the max w/ fastbacks for $30 total (I know that the fastpacks are sold separately).

Has anybody tried putting the super poseable fast pack equipment on the 1/100's or is the fast pack stuff permanently attached to the super poseables?

424302[/snapback]

You can take the fast pack (backpack/missile launchers) off, but at the risk of damaging the toy. My son successfully took them off of his. Unfortunately the scale is totally different, so it wouldn't look right to try and combine the FP boosters with a 1/100.

As for the FPs specifically for these 1/100s... I sincerely hope they make them for under ten dollars, or I may have to pass.

Edited because I HATE spelling mistakes.

Edited by GutsAndCasca

Got my 1S Roy today and for what it is I love it! The articulation is fantastic, the joints are tight, the paint apps are all very clean and done with more quality than I've seen on any other Toynami toy. Nothing about the proportions really bother me, not even the head. I'm actually surprised people rag on the head so much since it's far more accurate than the Chunky Monkey head (which, don't get me wrong, I adore).

Fighter mode looks great to me, even though it's not big enough to have everything fit as perfectly flush as, say, the 1/48s. It holds together well and the legs & arms all peg together for a nice tight fit. The backpack is froppy, but it's not like this is the first valk with that ailment. I can live with it.

As for the overall feel of the quality, it seems like the same kind of plastic that Yamato uses on the 1/48s. It's certainly better than the plastic used for the MPCs. Is it lightweight? Well of course! It's a very small toy, how could it NOT be light? Is that why it feels "cheap" to some of you, because of its light weight? It would have to be made of diecast to have any more heft. It reminds me of the Worlds Smallest Transformers toys when people complained that they just felt light and cheap...well yeah, they're the size of a freakin piece of Bubblicious.

The stickers do kind of suck, but some of them are fine. The kites and wing numbers look great to me. The skulls are too big to fit on the tailfins and even when trimmed just look tacky. I also notice the box shows the red intake decals but there is no such sticker, nor is it painted on.

The missles are all great and don't feel like they're going to fall apart in my hands, the gunpod holds together fine for me, and the disassembly for it to fit in fighter mode I actually like because it fastens FAR stronger than the traditional way. The stand is very cool, and the different attachments work really well. I would have liked to see "Macross" or the kite logo on that big black surface of the base, but I can slp a sticker on there if I really want to.

Overall I think this thing is a lot of fun and leagues beyond the floppy mess of the Banpresto, which I can't imagine myself ever picking up again. The price is right, the accessories are plentiful, and it's packed with fun. I know this will get a lot more play than my 1/48, and that alone makes this thing worth every penny to me. I typically cast a very cynical eye on Toynami since they've only pleased me once before (Alpha Morphers) and have shat in my face with everything else. This thing is a step in the right direction for them, and is the closest thing to a complete winner that they've offered so far. I can't wait for the fast packs and the non VF-1 mecha!

Heh, I heard a tiny crash in the other room shortly after my post. What I found was the 1/100 had fallen off the stand. The valk was fine (nothing even fell off, not even a missle) but when I went to plug it back into the stand connector, I noticed the little rubbery adaptor that the ball joint plugs into is actually cracked, just like what was reported a few pages back. My bad for not checking it before using it to hold up the valk. I'll have to try gluing it, otherwise without that adaptor piece the stand is pretty much worthless. Anyone know of any modeling pieces or somehting that could be used as a substitute?

Edited by eriku

I wonder what exactly is causing these pieces to break? Do you think it's just the material used? Do you think it was possibly broken in the package and you didn't notice or do you think it broke from the weight of supporting the valk?

Ok,

Toynami Stands FREAKEN SUCKS. 

I placed my Valkyrie in figther mode on the stupid stand before I went to sleep.  This morning I found my Valkyrie Belly UPPED.  I check the valk and it's A O K. :)  , I then place my valk back on the stand and notice the Ball joint SOCKET part is cracked. :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

post-1296-1155060680_thumb.jpg

B))

post-1296-1155060696_thumb.jpg

:blink:

post-1296-1155060715_thumb.jpg

:angry:  :angry:  :angry:

423509[/snapback]

Ha ha ha ha ... man, this post is hilarious!! Thanks for sharing mate!

:lol::lol::lol:

Away on business for a week and this thread has heated up. Whoa. I guess I'm with the "it's not a great toy, but decent for its scale" camp. Although, I do agree that the MSRP of $20 is overpriced, we're paying for the fricking box. My 2 cents.

:)

I wonder what exactly is causing these pieces to break?  Do you think it's just the material used?  Do you think it was possibly broken in the package and you didn't notice or do you think it broke from the weight of supporting the valk?

424410[/snapback]

The main cause of the cracking or breaking is due to the design or the material used/ cheapers weaker materials

Most people would assume that pretty much all of the weight of the Valkyrie would be focus on the the tiny rubbery ball socket cup piece thingie which connects everything to the stand. A very important piece. So it should be designed to be somewhat strong.

What they should've done:

Make the Ball socket cup piece stronger and thicker so it can deal with the weight of the Valkyrie sitting on one side of the cup and not just the dead center.

If for some strange reason they can't do that, then they should add a renforcement piece around the socket cup thingie. Similar to placing a square box around the circular bowl.

But they did not do either one of these :angry: So in the end we got a WEAK socket cup that can not deal with the weight of a Valkyrie sitting on just one side of the cup for a extented period of time. for me it was only 2 hours.

I did not bother with fixing the piece yet, but I thought of ways to do it. You can get a tiny rubber holes and just cut a ring from it so you can squeese the socket cup in. This will reenforce the cup so it can deal with more weight. You can also use other material too, like cuting up a cheap ball point pen, using the eraser holder top from your old useless lead pencil. Anything should work just as long as it can go around the cup piece with a good tight fit.

Edited by F360°

The stands are kinda useless unless you use glue. When I use the stands to display my valks in fighter mode, the valks slowly succumb to gravity and end up in a nosedive position.

424411[/snapback]

How well does the stand hold up when the figure is in Battroid mode? Wondering if Toynami even designed the stands to accomodate these figures with the armor parts on. How lame. It's as if the stand was just an afterthought. How difficult would it have been to design a simple clamp that works with all 3 modes or one for each mode that attaches to the figure and design the arm of the stand with a simple ratcheting or pivoting joint that can be locked into position with a small screw. When I first heard about these coming with stands, I was impressed, but now that I see how crappy it functions, I'm disappointed.

Okay, let's not forget that lots and lots of these have been sold and so far we have only a few complaints about the stands. Remember, people complain much more readily than praise so you will ALWAYS hear more negative than good about any new product. That said, there's a legitimate complaint here, I'm just saying we should not rush out and say "Crap, the stands for every one of these Toynami Valks is useless." They might just have a casting process for these little ball-type joint-thingies that left some too thin. Yes, that sucks, but it doesn't mean everyone's will fall apart. Too bad Toynami's track record doesn't indicate they'll provide reinforced ones in the future.

Edited by jenius

Looks like I'll be staying away from anything Toynami. Also, what with those puffy skulls on the heat shields?

Your entire decision whether or not to buy this product boiled down to how sturdy the additional stand would be and the fact a few people have had a problem has completely turned you off to it? People got 1/48 Yamatos without a heatshield, do you know how craptastic that would be? Honestly, the 1/100 is not for everyone though... I'm actually a little surprised how much importance people are putting on the stands though. None of your other toys even come with stands, how do you cope?

The puffy heatshield is really not nearly as noticeable as you might think but I too am at a loss for why they would do such a thing. I think it beats it being a sticker though... especially a crappy sticker.

Dudes, like SAND down the ball of the ball/socket joint. DUHR.

I'm not sure sanding would help, it's kind of a rubber material and I think if you tried to sand it it'd just fall apart on you. Besides, there is a principal here worth being upset over. Companies shouldn't ship products that don't withstand the rigors of what should be anticipated usage.

Edited by jenius

Looks like I'm in the minority here, but I actually like the raised skulls on the heatshield. It just looks cool to me. It looks more menacing I guess when projected out like that.

With regards to the stands, I'm sure there are alot more people having issues, but they just haven't spoke up or don't use these forums. It just doesn't look like it was designed well. I think it's great when figures come with such an accessory (hell, all figures should, or they should offer one separately if the figures are larger, such as the Yamato Macross stand, so you don't have to worry about them falling over easily), but it should also be made to last awhile.

I think I'm going to test the waters later for myself by buying one of these 1/100's cheaply online or checking one out personally at any local comic shops that might have them.

The stand was a big draw for me because alot of figures don't come with something that I feel is necessary for displaying, but if it can't support the weight of these figures. I'll definitely pass.

I do think that the sticker on the Yamato's looks a hell of a lot better!!!

It's been a while since I looked at my Yammy 1/48s but aren't the skulls painted on?

That's actually a moot point, in my other post I meant to refer to the stickers included with these 1/100s. If the choice was between a puffy painted on skull or a sticker of similar quality to the ones packaged with the toy then I think they chose wisely.

EDIT - note, i still don't like the puffy skull and wish they wouldn't have used it also... but again, you barely notice it after you handle it once.

Edited by jenius

Although it sucks that the tiny connector piece for the stand is a problem, I'm VERY happy that the only QC issue (at least that I've heard) is with that and not on the actual toy. I'm sure I can improvise something for the stand, and no, sanding down the ball would not work, it would actually make things worse.

Not to just piss on it, but a serious question. Has anyone's 1/100 taken a big spill yet? How durable are these things?

I mean, I don't expect someone to toss their 1/100 off the top of a building like what happened with samurai_m and his Elint, but just what kind of abuse can these things take?

Not to just piss on it, but a serious question.  Has anyone's 1/100 taken a big spill yet?  How durable are these things?

I mean, I don't expect someone to toss their 1/100 off the top of a building like what happened with samurai_m and his Elint, but just what kind of abuse can these things take?

424742[/snapback]

I butterfingered mine in fighter mode yesterday and it fell about 4+ feet to the hardwood floor. One of the missle pods popped off the wing, but that was it, nothing broke or came apart. The plastic, though lightweight, doesn't seem to be the brittle kind and should have enough flexibility to avoid any crumbling or snapping.

I know people want to hate Toynami, with good reason, but this thing simply outshines all of their previous efforts. Is it the perfect valk toy? No, but none of them really are, and this one is at least free (from what we've seen so far) from the multitude of QC problems and poor paint apps that all other Toynami stuff is plagued by. Actually, so far, the beloved 1/48s have had more QC problems than this thing. I'm not trying to pimp Toynami or anything, I think they're still a fairly sub-par toy company, but I do like to give credit where it's due.

Edited by eriku

Looks like I'll be staying away from anything Toynami. Also, what with those puffy skulls on the heat shields?

Your entire decision whether or not to buy this product boiled down to how sturdy the additional stand would be and the fact a few people have had a problem has completely turned you off to it? People got 1/48 Yamatos without a heatshield, do you know how craptastic that would be? Honestly, the 1/100 is not for everyone though... I'm actually a little surprised how much importance people are putting on the stands though. None of your other toys even come with stands, how do you cope?

The puffy heatshield is really not nearly as noticeable as you might think but I too am at a loss for why they would do such a thing. I think it beats it being a sticker though... especially a crappy sticker.

Dudes, like SAND down the ball of the ball/socket joint. DUHR.

I'm not sure sanding would help, it's kind of a rubber material and I think if you tried to sand it it'd just fall apart on you. Besides, there is a principal here worth being upset over. Companies shouldn't ship products that don't withstand the rigors of what should be anticipated usage.

424690[/snapback]

I believe you mean A PERSON ? :rolleyes:

EDITED : put a smiley just to be nice and kind

Edited by aaajin