1/100 Toynami Valks Thread

Vermillion21

so to sum up this thread...

fanboy + high expectations = disappointment :D

heres yet another factual complaint...

anyone else notice that the head lasers are off?

meaning, they only sculpted one set of head lasers and used it on both sides of the head....why? :mellow:

I wonder what exactly is causing these pieces to break?  Do you think it's just the material used?  Do you think it was possibly broken in the package and you didn't notice or do you think it broke from the weight of supporting the valk?

424410[/snapback]

I think it's weird when I hear about this. I've had my 1/100 for like a week, it's been displayed in various modes and poses, and it's never fallen off. Once again, use some gorilla glue, and then file/dremel off the excess dried glue.

424799[/snapback]

Once the Gorilla Glue drys would it be flexiable?? since the borken part is a flexiable piece.

In the meantime I finally added a Banpresto review on might site if someone wants to check out this toy's closest competition.

424964[/snapback]

Nice review. After taking some apart I did notice on the super and strike versions they changed the way the hip bars connect behind the canopy. The first series before the TV ones were really lose. But it is nice to have a DYRL Max to make a VF-1S the easy way. :lol:

so to sum up this thread...

fanboy + high expectations = disappointment  :D

heres yet another factual complaint...

anyone else notice that the head lasers are off? 

meaning, they only sculpted one set of head lasers and used it on both sides of the head....why?  :mellow:

425063[/snapback]

*screams at haterist* Because it's just a 1/100 scale toy! This is not an attempt at creating a real-life valkyrie only smaller.

(jk about the screaming part) :D

Also - today I got my two 1/100 VF1A's, and they look REALLY cool. The 1S head sculpt leaves a bit to be desired but I have not even a single complaint about the 1A; nothing but praise. And seeing that panel-lined picture makes me want to panel line mine. Who can seriously look at that and not think this toy is cool?

PS: I now have four of these valks sitting on their stands. No fall-overs, no fall-offs, and no breaks. *cough* and no complaints.

EDIT: Hey, does anybody have pics of what the VF1J head sculpt is going to look like on these?

Edited by GutsAndCasca

I wonder what exactly is causing these pieces to break?  Do you think it's just the material used?  Do you think it was possibly broken in the package and you didn't notice or do you think it broke from the weight of supporting the valk?

424410[/snapback]

I think it's weird when I hear about this. I've had my 1/100 for like a week, it's been displayed in various modes and poses, and it's never fallen off. Once again, use some gorilla glue, and then file/dremel off the excess dried glue.

424799[/snapback]

Once the Gorilla Glue drys would it be flexiable?? since the borken part is a flexiable piece.

425073[/snapback]

Since gorilla glue is itself somewhat flexible, yeah, I think the piece would still be flexible. I'm not going to surmise that this is an infallible method for repairing the piece, but if mine ever broke I'd try this method and post the results. But in all honesty, I don't think any of mine will ever break.

PS: I now have four of these valks sitting on their stands. No fall-overs, no fall-offs, and no breaks. *cough* and no complaints.

well, I wish you luck then. Try not to post the figther mode in any somewhat extreme tilting of left or right for over 2 to 3 hours. or even like how it was shown on the flip cover of the BOX, because it will tilt more and more over time automatically, until it can tilt no more, then hours later CRACK.

I do like the 1/100 Toynami. I think it's a great little toy and at $20 it's a pretty fair price to pay. The QC on the toy itself is good this time. I even prefer this more than their MPC line. But what they screw up on, at least for me and 2 other people is the Stand.

Sure , some of you may think it's just a stand and it's not really important. But did you stop and think what goes onto the stand? it's the 1/100 valkyrie. And what would happen if the stand breaks? Your 1/100 valkyire will DROP and FALL to the ground or table. This might or might not damage the toy. I bet no one enjoy seeing that. I don't care if it's free but if it comes with the figure then it should be able to handle the weight. I never had a included stand from any of my toy figures break on their own. It's like a stock jack to lift up your car when you have a flat.

Edited by F360°

I fully support everyone who is upset about the stand. I think it sucks. Sure, I'm not using my stand at the moment, but I could totally see where that'd be way lame.

I also agree, I prefer these to the MPCs. I'll go a step further, when considering price, I think I'm prefering them now to Bandai chunky reissues and Yamato 1/60s also... I'm not sure... it's honestly a tough decision. If the legs and arms were more solidly attached I think the 1/100 would be an easy choice.

Here's Max and Hikaru, in battroid. I was in a hurry so no fighter or gerwalk pics yet. Sorry the picture quality sucks! But, c'est la vie.

Edit: yes, fast packs would have made this an incredible deal.

post-3666-1155621049_thumb.jpg

post-3666-1155621135_thumb.jpg

Edited by GutsAndCasca

Edit: yes, fast packs would have made this an incredible deal.

I completely agree!!

:)

I did cave and bought a 2nd 1/100 valkyrie, a DYRL Max. And I gotta say, these things are slowly growing on me. I was planning on only getting a few of these, but now I'm not so sure ....

:ph34r:

I'm telling ya', they grow on you like melanomas on old people. I can't wait to get my new checking card in the mail so I can finally pre-order a set of Hikaru/Max/Miria 1Js. My other checking card got lost unfortunately, which has nixed my online shopping for the past week.

Note: I've got 4 1/100's sitting on stands. One is in fighter mode at a right angle with four heavy missile attachments on the wings. No broken stands. They've been changing poses for days. I have to wonder if the people with the stand problems attached the toys securely?

I have to wonder if the people with the stand problems attached the toys securely?

425648[/snapback]

Mine's was secure. The instructions were clear. It's rubber and it split. I am getting a replacement part from Toynami so it does not bother me anymore. Other than that it is a nice figure. I have 8 more on the way. I just like figures this size. I have 27 Banprestos, so handling small figures is something I am used to. Overall I am happy with my purchase. Now if only I know what series three was going to be. :huh:

27 banprestos?! Nice. Any idea where I can buy more of those, especially strike/super parts?

My guess for series 3, is... cannon fodder... aaand... maybe kakikaze and max's 1As from TV? I also would suspect a YF1R in there somewhere. (which I wouldn't mind at all - I think they look cool) Or, maybe series three will be alpha fighters?

I have to wonder if the people with the stand problems attached the toys securely?

425648[/snapback]

hmm, lets me see.. there's a ball and a cup. Ball goes into the cup. If it's was not attached correctly the toy will fall off instantly.

Can you even give me a logical example of what you mean by damaging the stand by attaching the toy to the stand insecurely?

425648[/snapback]

Mine's was secure. The instructions were clear. It's rubber and it split. I am getting a replacement part from Toynami so it does not bother me anymore. Other than that it is a nice figure. I have 8 more on the way. I just like figures this size. I have 27 Banprestos, so handling small figures is something I am used to. Overall I am happy with my purchase. Now if only I know what series three was going to be. :huh:

425675[/snapback]

I try contacting Toynami too, but they didn't respond to my email yet. Which email did you use?

Well. There are small pegs attached to the ball and cup, which go into holes. If you do not put the pegs far enough into the holes, this will result in the toy falling off of the stand and hitting the ground, possibly damaging portions (the ones being spoken of in this thread) of the stand accompanying the toy during the fall.

Is that a logical enough example?

Edited because two the's in a row didn't sound very logical. :D

Edited by GutsAndCasca

I got the first 3(DYRL series 1) from Kevin@valkyire-exchange. I was glad too because he did not get that many in. :) The rest I got from Hobbylink Japan. I do have 9 MIB 3 super and 6 strikes that I was going to sell since these 1/100's came out. The other 18 I have put fingernail polish on to stiffen the joints. You can try a google search. Some sites have high prices though. :angry: Every so often I check on ebay to see what they go for.

I used customerservice@toynami.com.

Message was sent Monday, August 14, 2006 1:55 PM and reply was Tue, 15 Aug 2006 18:40:55.

Edit: Spelling.

Edited by Mechafan

Well. There are small pegs attached to the ball and cup, which go into holes. If you do not put the pegs far enough into the holes, this will result in the toy falling off of the stand and hitting the ground, possibly damaging portions (the ones being spoken of in this thread) of the stand accompanying the toy during the fall.

Is that a logical enough example?

Edited because two the's in a row didn't sound very logical.  :D

425686[/snapback]

It's pretty hard to not put the peg far enough into the hole. You can try that at home. But lets just say that the toy did fall off due to that reason with the cup piece attached, the toy will fall 6 inch to the hard surface of the desk or table with the toy taking the full falling impact and whatever remainding of the stand will fall on top of it if it ever falls. This is what might happen if you're talking about the peg on the bottom of the cup. (it's kinda like chopping a tree in the middle, the part you last touched with your axe is not going to hit the ground first.)

Also the stand and the cup piece is not the one falling here, it did not fall. Also the piece in question is a Rubber flexi piece. I bet you can drop that from 10 floors and it will not break.

I'm not saying your example is not posisble but the chances of that ever happening which would cause the Cup piece to crack with just the toy falling is very very slim. There's only 1 time that a toy of mine was ever damage due to a fall and that happen in a EARTHQUAKE (my only Gakken Transformable green Alpha). :( Seeing this just brought all those bad memories back. I'm not good with seeing my toys falling to their death on their own. :angry: Now that I think about it, there was also a light earthquake just awhile ago too.

Who knows maybe there was no fault in the stand at all and at night my Yamato Macross Figures just happen to beat the daylights out of the little 1/100 toynami and once they were finish they took out the stand too. :)

Anyways, I'm still playing with this little figure just without the stand so it was still a good purchase, I'm just pissed at the falling and breaking part.

Does anyone else think Toynami kind of got it wrong when it came to the three packs? I agree with the first set of three, it lets the selling power of Roy's VF-1S also move some slower product (Hikaru's VF-1A and Max's VF-1A). Now that's not to say Max & Hik's valks are stinkers but they're certainly not as popular as Roy's VF-1S so people see the Roy, they think "Wow, I gotta have that one" and then they opt to buy the other two because they get them at such a discount.

Then we have the Hikaru, Max, Milia VF-1J three pack. Now this one I seriously think was done poorly. First, I think the Max & Milia VF-1Js are strong enough to support a third, weaker selling performer. Second, I think the Hikaru VF-1J is also a very strong seller and could support less popular valks. Here's what I think should have happened:

Set 2 Vermillion Squad:

Hikaru VF-1J

Hayao TV VF-1A

Max TV VF-1A

Set 3 Reconstruction Squad:

Max VF-1J

Milia VF-1J

Cannon Fodder

I'm not sure how the rest would be grouped but there's lots of good potential (VF-1D, VT-1, VE-1, VF-1S Max, VF-1A Hayao DYRL, Angelbirds, Alaska Base, etc.)

Does anyone else think Toynami kind of got it wrong when it came to the three packs?  I agree with the first set of three, it lets the selling power of Roy's VF-1S also move some slower product (Hikaru's VF-1A and Max's VF-1A).  Now that's not to say Max & Hik's valks are stinkers but they're certainly not as popular as Roy's VF-1S so people see the Roy, they think "Wow, I gotta have that one" and then they opt to buy the other two because they get them at such a discount.

Then we have the Hikaru, Max, Milia VF-1J three pack.  Now this one I seriously think was done poorly.  First, I think the Max & Milia VF-1Js are strong enough to support a third, weaker selling performer.  Second, I think the Hikaru VF-1J is also a very strong seller and could support less popular valks.  Here's what I think should have happened:

Set 2 Vermillion Squad:

Hikaru VF-1J

Hayao TV VF-1A

Max TV VF-1A

Set 3 Reconstruction Squad:

Max VF-1J

Milia VF-1J

Cannon Fodder

I'm not sure how the rest would be grouped but there's lots of good potential (VF-1D, VT-1, VE-1, VF-1S Max, VF-1A Hayao DYRL, Angelbirds, Alaska Base, etc.)

425797[/snapback]

I think this is just to begin with strong sales. Toynuky likes to see big numbers right away. So if the third installment of valks flops they've already recouped thier investment by pumping out a lot of series 1 and 2. And let's not forget the FAST and Strike packs.

Ok I just got my Max 1A last night. Stickered it. Put it in fighter mode. Put it on stand...straight and not at a cool angle. 5 episodes of Mospeada later Max fell. Ball cup had cracked just like everyone else. Hope they are gonna replace these!

I suggest boiling some water...sticking the socket in it...pull it out and then snap the ball in place and let it cool...

425867[/snapback]

The problem is that the ball cup (socket) cracks almost entirely down one side, so as it cooled, it would just widen the crack even further.

I wonder if there's a polycap about the same size..

The hatch that opens for the battroid head to move through snapped off mine. I wasn't stressing the plastic, just opening the hatch normally during transformation and it snapped right off.

Shortly afterwards, the VF-1S' head also snapped off. I definitely got a dud. Even if my toy didn't break, these things are made of crap. They make the Banpresto's plastic look golden. To anyone who hasn't gotten one yet, save your money, these are not worth $20. <_<

The hatch that opens for the battroid head to move through snapped off mine.  I wasn't stressing the plastic, just opening the hatch normally during transformation and it snapped right off.

Shortly afterwards, the VF-1S' head also snapped off.  I definitely got a dud.  Even if my toy didn't break, these things are made of crap.  They make the Banpresto's plastic look golden.  To anyone who hasn't gotten one yet, save your money, these are not worth $20.  <_<

425874[/snapback]

Wow, I'm looking at my 1/100's just trying to imagine how that could happen. I'm guessing the plastic broke, because it doesn't look like there's any glued pieces around the neck or back hatch. Can you tell us exactly which part broke? That would help me to not break mine.

The hatch that opens for the battroid head to move through snapped off mine.  I wasn't stressing the plastic, just opening the hatch normally during transformation and it snapped right off.

Shortly afterwards, the VF-1S' head also snapped off.  I definitely got a dud.  Even if my toy didn't break, these things are made of crap.  They make the Banpresto's plastic look golden.  To anyone who hasn't gotten one yet, save your money, these are not worth $20.  <_<

425874[/snapback]

:rolleyes:

These may not be the best toys in the world, but to say that they make the Banpresto's plastic look like gold is such a grossly over-exaggerated statement that it makes me not believe a word you say. The way you tell it, the thing just fell apart in your hands through no fault or force on your part. I'm sorry, but that sounds highly unlikely.

:rolleyes:

These may not be the best toys in the world, but to say that they make the Banpresto's plastic look like gold is such a grossly over-exaggerated statement that it makes me not believe a word you say. The way you tell it, the thing just fell apart in your hands through no fault or force on your part. I'm sorry, but that sounds highly unlikely.

425885[/snapback]

Opinions are like 4ssholes, everybody has one. :rolleyes:

danth: I'll see if I can get those pieces scanned.