if they (edit: not necessarily Toynami)had done the Destroids,

in a 1/100 scale in a similar manner as the superposables

that would have OK with me. :) or if they did them in

1/60 scale for 20-30 bucks that would be excellent. I'd

have em all lined up next to all my 1/60 Vf-1 that would

be sweet. :D

Edited by Macross73

What's so wrong with elitism? :blink:

There's nothing wrong with having higher standards and being picky about what you spend your money on. Just because some people don't like spending money on crap they know will break on its own, doesn't make them evil.

Based on the pics and reviews, I sure as hell am not going to waste money on these. Besides Toynami doesn't exactly have the best track record on toys. :p

ehh from whati have heard of them the only one i will buy will be a max 1j and fastpacks since i cant find a 1/60 or 1/55 max for a cheap enough price. people want 70 bucks for the crappy robo mpc one when you can buy it on the site for 59( as of two days ago btw)

Fuzzy

sorry, wrong again... I said I was at nightmare's house when he opened his... I've also stated that I handled the AX con version before. In fact I handled it again at SDCC when numerous friends bought one after another. I probably handled more of these than you care to know about. It wouldn't be a flame war if one wasn't so insulted so easily, enough to make up stuff in the vested interest of defending his opinion.

It was, and is, just criticism on how you laid your opinion out there. It came off as if you were saying that these shouldn't be considered because there are better toys out there, something no one has disputed, without regard to the people who want to own a toy but are strapped on funds or space or have a wife that thinks blowing $150 on a 1/48 is grounds for a yelling at but wouldn't care about $20. For the member who asked what's wrong with elitism, in this context it I mean elitism to be the kind of person who laughs at others for not being able to blow as much money on toys as others... which is entirely silly if you ask me. Enjoy the toys, make fun of the toys, hate the toys, but stick to the toys. My vested interest is more in defending people who can more easily accept spending $20 on toys than $150... 'cause, while it's not an issue for me, I can easily see where it could be for others. Eh, whatever, I should have just taken Exo's and Godzilla's comments to say "If you can afford just one Yamato 1/48, you should buy that over 6 of these 1/100s." I think that's a nicer way of putting it and not something I'd disagree with.

(except I can't for the life of me figure out how to attach battroid mode to the stand it came with)

423318[/snapback]

It's pretty easy. Attach the thick, wide U shaped piece to the stand, and then sit the Valk's back-pack into the U.

423335[/snapback]

Thanks! I actually finally discovered that it came with stickers and directions. Unfortunately, the stickers really suck.

After what I am seeing, I am gald I skipped out on these.  I have to agree with Exo.  Why get them when you have the 1/48s.

423635[/snapback]

Because some people can't afford the 1/48, whereas some can afford the 1/100.

423674[/snapback]

Look, I have always wanted to have a set of DYRL Max, Hikaru, and Roy. (1A, 1A, and 1S) but I can't afford an extra 350 bucks for Max and Hikaru's 1As. These 1/100s are affordable, and they look great - I especially like the wing missile attachments. This is the best mini-Macross toy to date in my book. I sincerely hope that Toynami comes out with every valk from the TV show in this size. I'd buy them too!

The reason I like these things, is because hey - they look cool. They're the same price as a banpresto, but better looking, and well... just all around better. PLUS you get a cheap stand with it. For 20 bucks, you can't expect the greatest stand ever made. And to those of you who break them, COME on. Use some gorilla glue, let it dry, and then dremel away any seepage. Fixed. (countless other glues would work too) As for me, my Hikaru CC has been sitting on its stand for like two days in a row now with no problems.

In a nutshell, do I like these things because I really dig ghetto toys? No, I like them because they're CHEAP, relatively speaking. Believe me, if anybody in here knows what it's like to have an ultra-tight budget at times, they'll understand. At the moment, I'd rather have a full set of mini-valks than one (emphasize one) more yamato 1/48. Man, I feel like I'm defending Macross 7 here... :D

I disagree with the 1 Yamato statement, but from my experience with little cheap toys, they can be a helluva lot of fun. But they will never equal the satisfaction of 1 Yamato 1/48.

But...horses for courses.

I was referencing your "throw away if it breaks" type of toys. the bandai has weight and feels solid to play with.

the 1/100 feels too flimsy to play with. If it cost $10, I would have no issue with it.

423684[/snapback]

If I was planning on playin' with it, then hell yeah I'd buy a bandai (which you find on ebay for around 60 bucks these days). But these things are not for playing with -- they're for display. That's why it comes with a stand. I buy my kid the durable toys. I don't mind having flimsy ones that look neat. *cough* banprestos *cough* Which, to anyone interested in getting macross for your kids, don't go with banprestos. Poke one and it falls into pieces. I'd imagine these 1/100s do the same thing. So just have fun looooking at them.

Wow! Tough audience. Seems you either love these or hate 'em. I happen to be in the love 'em group. Of course, I also like the Yamato 1/60's and the **gasp** Toynami MPC's. You know even if I had a Ferrari, I'd still want a Mustang or a Corvette. Just because you can afford the best doesn't mean that everything else is worthless. Variety is the spice of life right? Oh well, just my two cents

instead of bashing each other or toynami, how about we bring facts into play.

here are some of the reasons why i dislike this toy...

1. head sculpt - its just plain ugly, i think we can all agree on that one. how it got approved all the way to the factory line is beyond me.

2. shoulders - why make them so big? in doing so, they managed to negatively affect the look in every mode...lame.

3. backpack/tailfins - its tiny, i'm mean really tiny especially those dinky little tailfins. can something be small and still be an eye sore?

4. price - $20 does NOT equal what you get. sure its a price point toy that almost anyone can afford but it doesn't change the fact that it isn't worth $20 for all its shortcomings.

5. wacky 3 modes - out of the 3 modes, they managed to get one right...gerwalk since thats next to impossible to get wrong. fighter mode looks horrid and battroid isn't far behind. maybe if i smoke a bunch of drugs and squint real hard....

editted for the grammar police. :D

Edited by haterist

here are some of the reasons why i don't dislike this toy...

1.  head sculpt - its just plain ugly, i think we can all agree on that one.  how it got approved all the way to the factory line is beyond me. 

2.  shoulders - why make them so big?  in doing so, they managed to negatively affect the look in every mode...lame.    

3.  backpack/tailfins - its tiny, i'm mean really tiny especially those dinky little tailfins.  can something be small and still be an eye sore?

4.  price - $20 does NOT equal what you get.  sure its a price point toy that almost anyone can afford but it doesn't change the fact that it isn't worth $20 for all its shortcomings.  

5.  wacky 3 modes - out of the 3 modes, they managed to get one right...gerwalk since thats next to impossible to get wrong.  fighter mode looks horrid and battroid isn't far behind.  maybe if i smoke a bunch of drugs and squint real hard....

423746[/snapback]

dudee....2 negatives make a positive :rolleyes:

Edited by aaajin

here are some of the reasons why i don't dislike this toy...

1.  head sculpt - its just plain ugly, i think we can all agree on that one.  how it got approved all the way to the factory line is beyond me. 

2.  shoulders - why make them so big?  in doing so, they managed to negatively affect the look in every mode...lame.   

3.  backpack/tailfins - its tiny, i'm mean really tiny especially those dinky little tailfins.  can something be small and still be an eye sore?

4.  price - $20 does NOT equal what you get.  sure its a price point toy that almost anyone can afford but it doesn't change the fact that it isn't worth $20 for all its shortcomings. 

5.  wacky 3 modes - out of the 3 modes, they managed to get one right...gerwalk since thats next to impossible to get wrong.  fighter mode looks horrid and battroid isn't far behind.  maybe if i smoke a bunch of drugs and squint real hard....

423746[/snapback]

dudee....2 negatives make a positive :rolleyes:

423750[/snapback]

then that means 2 positives make a negative, as in.... yeah right... :rolleyes:

:lol:

So can somebody point me to a better Macross mini-toy that's the same price, transformable, likely to have fastpacks, and comes with a display stand? (And is perfect quality, will never break no matter what, is 100% free from defects, and looks exactly like the perfect valk in every aspect with absolutely no reason to complain about anything, is remote controlled and flies around and actually shoots real bullets, and of course is made by Yamato) Assuming that this does not exist, which I don't think it does, I'll stick with the 1/100's.

So one poster shows a pic of a broken stand and that means that all of the produced toys are somehow poorly manufactured? How many people have had issues with their 1/60 VF-0S' loose elbows? How many broken shoulders on the Yamato Garland? How many broken chest bay doors on the 1/48 GBP? BP8 anyone? I like to think people are being open minded about these toys, but I can't help shake the feeling that if these exact toys (same sculpt, materials, size, etc) had been released by Yamato, somehow all would be forgiven. I could be wrong, of course, it just seems a lot of members here are not giving these a fair shot. People sure are more forgiving of poor QC when Yamato's name is on the box.

Edited by mister_e

How many people have had issues with their 1/60 VF-0S' loose elbows? How many broken shoulders on the Yamato Garland? How many broken chest bay doors on the 1/48 GBP? BP8 anyone? I like to think people are being open minded about these toys, but I can't help shake the feeling that if these exact toys (same sculpt, materials, size, etc) had been released by Yamato, somehow all would be forgiven. I could be wrong, of course, it just seems a lot of members here are not giving these a fair shot.

423770[/snapback]

If these 1/100 toynami's cost $10 instead of the $20+ that people paid for 'em, I'll give it a fair shot.

Until then, my $20+ is better spent on something else.

no one was(at least i wasn't) making a comparison to another toy, i'm only speaking of this particular toy and its faults. i never said there was anything better or worse out there, just what i DISLIKE ;) about this one.

truth be told, theres really is no better small scale valkyrie but that doesn't mean this toy is good, its just that this is the only one.

even if yamato made these exactly as is, i'd still feel the same way about them. its doesn't matter what company made these, it doesn't change the fact that isn't the greatest toy. as i've before, i'm not swearing these off at all, i'm just swearing off paying $20 for them.

Someone said the fighter mode on the 1/100 is ugly. I can't believe anyone would say this. Just look at my pics a few pages back -- the thing is a beauty. One of the reasons I never bought the 1/48 is the ruined fighter mode -- the arms and shoulders hang so low as to render it non-airworthy. And then there's the fat-assed, bubbling canopy. Although Toynami got a few things wrong, I think the 1/100 just has better proportions in fighter mode than the 1/48.

Seriously, for a paltry $20, the 1/100 is worth every penny. I have four of them, and none show any signs of breakage -- unlike the 1/60 VF-0S which has broken tailfins right out of the box. And I'd much rather have a 1/100 with a broken stand than a 1/48 with a broken backpack. And let's not even get started on the Garland.

Seriously, some people will defend Yamato to the death even after all the screw-ups, yet the come into this thread to celebrate when the freaking stand on the 1/100 breaks. At least the 1/100 comes with a stand.

I guess the main question is, why buy the 1/100 when I can get the 1/48? It must be because I can't afford the 1/48, right? Well, not exactly. I could easily put away 150 a month if I wanted the 1/48's. But as a normal adult, I just can't justify spending money like that on toys -- especially getting ten versions of the same toy with different colored stripes. It just seems kind of silly, and, well...sad. I'd much rather take my wife on a vacation or something.

Edited by danth

How many people have had issues with their 1/60 VF-0S' loose elbows? How many broken shoulders on the Yamato Garland? How many broken chest bay doors on the 1/48 GBP? BP8 anyone? I like to think people are being open minded about these toys, but I can't help shake the feeling that if these exact toys (same sculpt, materials, size, etc) had been released by Yamato, somehow all would be forgiven. I could be wrong, of course, it just seems a lot of members here are not giving these a fair shot.

423770[/snapback]

If these 1/100 toynami's cost $10 instead of the $20+ that people paid for 'em, I'll give it a fair shot.

423772[/snapback]

But you'd pay $150 for Yamato's QC-ridden screw-ups.

And then you go on to state 5 of your opinions. Nice.

Edited by danth

that's my whole point too... maybe it's my mistake that I said I'll stick with the 1/48s when what I really meant was "no thank you" to this toy. I'm not against the idea of getting 1/100s low priced valks but after handling it I thoght my money would be better well spent somewhere else. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad other people are getting what they want. I wasn't even going to post that conversation between me and Godzilla, but I took NB4M's post as an invitation because I thought it was amusing. When people quote me taking offense, then that's when the whole debate got started. I can make a list of gripes based solely on this toy and why it's not worth it. If people are on the fence about wehter or not they should get it, then I'd be happy to do it, but until then I'll leave you guys to your Toynami love fest. :p

423772[/snapback]

But you'd pay $150 for Yamato's QC-ridden screw-ups.

What Yamato QC-ridden screw-ups are you talking about?

All of my Yammie-valks are great and well-worth the price. The're all poseably good. They're all pretty. They're all kewl.

As such, I don't even have all the Yammies. I only buy like one valk every two/three years. Unless they're on the old HLJ fire-sale of yesteryears.

It's just really sad that you guys got taken for $20+ with these toynami-pos. But I guess someone has to take one for the team. :lol::p

Oh, yeah. Did I mention my Yammies are all damn pretty? B))

And then you go on to state 5 of your opinions. Nice.

423779[/snapback]

maybe the price is my opinion but the rest of my statements were indeed facts, lets see....

fact: the head sculpt is off/ugly. anyone with a pair of eyes can see its ugly. the head sculpt on this toy is far decent, and even further from good. the only way they could've made it worse is if they let me sculpt it.

fact: the shoulders are big. are you blind? how can you look at the shoulders and say they are the correct size? the shoulders are bigger than the hips...shoot they're bigger than the thighs. can you reference any line art that shows the shoulders being bigger than the valks hips/thighs.

fact: backpack and tailfins are small. again i have to ask, are you blind? the backpack is tiny, and the tailfins are even more tiny, again look at the line art and show me were the backpack/tailfins are that small.

fact: wacky 3 modes. so you're saying the fighter mode is tight? the gerwalk mode is near perfect? and the battroid mode is without flaws? you might want to get some glasses alice cause even a blind man would say its far from accurate.

i guess you could call all of these facts opinions but whats seem in the TV show and illustrated in numerous books would suggest otherwise.

Dangit! That's it! I'm giving away all my 1/48's, swearing off Macross, and heading back to the Robotech forums. And I'm throwing away my 1/100s because they're Macross, and not Robotech. PM me if you want any free Yamato stuff.

Is any toy really worth how much it costs? No. They're all just piles of high-priced plastic. The reason we buy them, is because we like them. I don't think any valk looks perfect. Hell, if you want to see some ugly-azz valks just watch the original Macross TV series. The only toys that look as ugly as those are the bandais.

The reason these lil' "controversial" :D (around here) valks are so likeable is because they're so accessorized. I mean, c'mon. A stand? Missiles? 3 modes? 20 bucks? How much is a joke-machine toy? 265 bucks? What makes the joke machine worth so much more? Because it's cuter? I think the 1/100s are well worth the price. I mean, why the hell does a low-viz version 1 cost like 450 bucks now? It's just a cannon fodder valkyrie, colored different. It flies up into the sky, and then gets shot the heck down as soon as somebody sees it. The reason people pay the money, is because they like it. And dangit, I like some of the stuff toynami has put out. I like all the super poseables, and now I like these, um, things.

I shall continue to buy 1/48's and *holds back tears of joy* the Plus and Zero 1/60 lines. BUT - I shall also purchase every new version of the 1/100 that they release. Why? Because I'm insane. ;)

Im with EXO and Haterist on this topic. I simply do not think these are worth $20. Im not saying that they are bad toys. They are nice and I like them, just not worth the full price(+ shipping), knowing that they will go on sale in the near future. I plan on getting all of them too, but when they are cheaper. I would rather have toynami get rid of the boxes and lower the price of the toy.

I think we are so used to ultra high prices for valkyries that anything for for $20 seems like a good deal and will overlook the fact that it may not even be worth it. If its worth it to you personally, then thats all that should matter. Im not one sided, I think yamatos are overpriced also.

you know lets just simplify and say that ALL valks are overpriced since that seems to be the trend but like i said before i do plan on buying one if only that one however if they make some enemy mecha i might buy those depending on what i hear about them here

Fuzzy

Toy mark-ups are huge, there can be no doubt. Complaining that this thing isn't worth $20 is a fair enough opinion and I'm sure if people wait you'll be able to get them for $15 each easily enough and some will grab a few at $10 no doubt. Of course, shipping/tax are entirely other matters.

Still, I think $20 is a pretty solid deal on these things. They're far sturdier than the banprestos and they certainly seem "playable" to me. You can fling them between modes like you can a Bandai/Takatoku completely naturally without fear of breaking anything. You get the nice little accessory package. The head sculpt on the VF-1S seems bad but the VF-1As don't look too bad nor do the 1Js. I did a quick check of all my VF-1S toys and honestly, the Yamato 1/48 stands out as being pretty much the only good head sculpt we've seen yet. The shoulders are too large but not to such an extent (in my opinion) that you find yourself staring at the valk wondering why the proportions are so funky. So it's a good enough toy that it can be displayed and a sturdy enough toy that you can play with it and it's $20? Why get all uppity? Oh no, it was made by Toynami... someone grab the torches and pitchforks! I honestly don't care who makes my toys as long as the toys themselves are cool... I don't even care if it says RT or Macross on the packaging.

For all those who wish for enemy mecha:

would it matter to you if the mecha were to scale with these valks?

I ask because if the mecha are bigger than them the price I think might vary. (say a Qrau with more heft and less accessories might still cost more)

My question is would you still buy it if they were not to scale and just thought of as a standalone figure that shouldn't be displayed next to the valks?

The motivation for me wanting 1/100 destroid is more because I want to put some of them near other 1/100 stuff. But for stuff like the Qrau, I pretty much don't care about scale as much. (I will probably just put them on the stand by themselves away from the valks)

If toynami ever get around to doing similar sized toys (note: I said size, not scale) for mospeada; hopefully that hold together, then I will be happy. Handling a legioss and tread would be much easier if they first start with a small scale equivalent that has all the basics of the PT. Learn from mistakes and keep making small incremental improvements rather than taking a huge gamble with an expensive toy and then not geting right and having people return the thing in disapointment.