1/100 Toynami Valks Thread

Vermillion21

Allright...here's a work in progress of a 1/100 low-vis paint scheme. I'm still working on it and need to apply the stickers, it's 95% complete.

[attachmentid=37356]

==EDIT== {It seems to still be a little lacking in fighter mode.}

[attachmentid=37357]

**SIGH...if only the fastpacks were out, then it might actually look better.**

Wow! That is so cool!

Here are some quick shots of my finished 1/100 Low-Vis. I didn't apply many stickers as I didn't really have any that would go with the color scheme.

That looks awesome. So, now you have to tell us how you did it. Did you disassemble the valk to paint it? What kind of paint did you use? What color? :D

That looks awesome. So, now you have to tell us how you did it. Did you disassemble the valk to paint it? What kind of paint did you use? What color? :D

Nope, I didn't disassemble it. Since I don't have an airbrush, it was all hand painted and with a small brush to reach those inside parts. I hadn't read the customizing section so knew nothing about the best paints, so I used Testor's Acrylic and cheated even more by getting the airplane camo pack. The main grey is a "light ghost grey" while the heat shield is "dark ghost grey". The engines and leg joints are a "dark dull grey" while the darkest grey is a "dark grey" from model master's acryl line.

BTW, has anyone heard on when the VF-1J's are suppose to be out? What about the FAST Packs? What Valkryies are suppose to make up the third release?

*jaded toynami robo-whore says*

if you want to see fast packs, if you want to see more vf-1's, buy the ones that are out now so toynami knows theres an interest.

:rolleyes:

i've have yet to pick up another one of these, actually i haven't played with the 1S hikaru since the first few days of owning it, its inferior! but the custom LV does look nice...

I finally caved in and bought a used one from ebay for cheap. Just cant resist el-cheapo stuff. :lol:

anyways, the thing is sitting in the mailbox at home, Ill post something nasty if the Im not satisfied but Ill post pixs if I like it :)

Edited by aaajin

Well, Im feeling abit surprised with the quality of this toy given that it comes from a toy company I hated so much before for their lousy alphas and vaporware betas (which they deliberately use as a catalyst to gain more sales of their lousy products) Anyways, I am satisfied with my purchase, given that I bought it for less than 20 bucks. If I were to spend more than 20 bucks for this toy, I wouldnt be as happy as I am right now. Its a fact, Im not here to calumniate this toy company nor do I want to aggrandize em. This toy is decent, for the cheap price I got it.

Anyways, onto the pics with comparison to the 1/100 Koenig Monster Battroid mode ! :

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Sorry, some of the pics are a bit blurry...guess its time to fetch a tripod

aaajin

The size comparison is pretty cool there against the Koenig! :)

I might buy meself one.. but only one.

Mmmmaybe a Roy 1S with FP's. Yeah that sounds alright.

And maybe a TV 1J Hik.

Question: When are the FP's coming out? Will they even have the strike cannon? Maybe a valk/FP combo pack?

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

After heaping some criticism on this latest interpretation of the venerable VF-1, I ran across a good deal on eBay and just couldn't pass up on it. I'm now the owner of a 1/100 VF-1S Roy. While I won't refute all my previous criticism, except the one about the canopy, although the translucent one with zero detail under it is not that much of an improvement, I will say that I am pleasantly surprised with what Toynami has produced. The toy looks great in Battroid and GERWALK modes, and passable in fighter configuration, and the largish shoulders and stylized 1S head look far better in person than they do in pictures... not perfect, but definitely not as garish. Now the particulars:

The Good:

1. Incredible posability for a transformable toy of this size.

2. Inclusion of the openable knee caps.

3. Excellent hand sculpts. For their size they are on par with the ones included with the 1/48 GBP-1S.

4. Most accurate feet exhaust nozzles of any VF-1 toy I've ever seen.

5. I like the use of polycaps.

6. Proportions are very good overall. Yes the shoulders are big, but not as big as they appear in pictures. Forearms are beefy (they look great in GERWALK and Battroid modes). VF-1S head is a bit elongated but, again, not as much of a visual sore spot as pictures would lead you to believe.

The Odd:

1. The raised skull on the heat shield is just plain goofy; it looks fine head on but crappy from all other angles.

2. Paint application, while not horrible, could be better. Most paint edges fall short of engraved detail they should abut. This can be easily remedied with some gloss black paint and a steady hand. Speaking of paint; if you take the time to paint the engraved square on the back of the hands yellow, and the hand joints a very dark grey, the hands will look awesome.

3. Frosted canopy.

The Bad:

1. Floppy back pack in fighter mode.

2. No locking function to securely attach the intakes to the fuselage underside in fighter and GERWALK modes. The only thing holding them in place is the available friction on the swing bar, and that is not adequate for anything other than static display.

3. Proportions (I know it's a positive, but it's also a negative). The legs are a bit skinny in depth (height in fighter mode) and cause the fighter to look awkward with too much exposed back pack. The upcoming Fast/Strike packs should ameliorate this shortcoming nicely.

4. Complete lack of a cockpit; although you wouldn't be able to see much of anything with the frosted canopy.

5. Haven't tried the stand yet, but from all reports, the socket sucks.

As I've mentioned before, a bit of paint here and there will make this toy really stand out. A little chrome silver for the wing lights and landing gear pistons, gloss black to touch up the factory paint apps, yellow for the back of the hand, dark grey for the hand joints, red for the missile tips (yellow for DYRL...?), and some panel lining.

What the heck. For a while there I was pretty excited about a great new 1/100 toy line coming out, spiffing-up people's office desks everywhere. Now what is it, dead in the water? Did toynami have a hard time deciding whether or not to market the 1J's as Macross rather than Robotech? Did they realize they're spending way too much money on fancy boxes? What's the deal here...

Very disappointing that no new news has been released. Robotech.com doesn't even have the 1/100 1J's for pre-order. I really want the 1J's and the FAST/Strike parts. In fact, I want the FAST/Strike parts the most, the DYRL valks just don't look complete without them IMHO.

Very disappointing that no new news has been released. Robotech.com doesn't even have the 1/100 1J's for pre-order. I really want the 1J's and the FAST/Strike parts. In fact, I want the FAST/Strike parts the most, the DYRL valks just don't look complete without them IMHO.

just speculating here but i don't think these toys are doing too well from what they had originally anticipated. when the new was first released people were psyched for some $20 valks, but as soon as they came out and the reviews came in, people were no longer interested. and why would they be? they made a cheap knockoff valk and spent the money on boxes and advertising instead of the actual toy itself. its sad that after all this time, toynami still doesn't get it.

i honestly wonder how many people here bought all 3 of them? i'm sure theres quite a few that did, but i'm guessing theres more people that just skipped these altogether.

anyway, i'm just guessing here but i think the rest of toynami's 1/100 line is going to the same place where the beta/tread went, a one way trip to vaporville.

i stand corrected :) but still no word on about the probably overpriced FP sets?

it means nothing to me either way, i don't like these and have no intention of picking them up unless they got a 2 for 1 deal or better. :D

just speculating here but i don't think these toys are doing too well from what they had originally anticipated. when the new was first released people were psyched for some $20 valks, but as soon as they came out and the reviews came in, people were no longer interested. and why would they be? they made a cheap knockoff valk and spent the money on boxes and advertising instead of the actual toy itself. its sad that after all this time, toynami still doesn't get it.

I agree that the toys are cheap knockoffs of the Banprestos, but I think that Toynami will release the entire lineup (except the SuperO and Elint). My reasoning is that it costs Toynami next to nothing to produce these paltry toys, so even if they don't sell very well, Toynami will still make a profit. Perfect example: the Super Posables. These were equally craptastic, but Toynami managed to release almost every variant possible. Though you probably won't see a 1/100 Elintseeker or Super Ostrich, most likely due to the fact that Toynami can't sell palette swaps of these two and overall laziness.

Cheap toys + nice promotional shots + moderate prices = $$$

I think Toynami does get it :lol:

I agree that the toys are cheap knockoffs of the Banprestos, but I think that Toynami will release the entire lineup (except the SuperO and Elint).

I think it is unfair to refer to Toynami's 1/100 scale Valkyries as knockoffs of the Banpresto Game Prize Valkyries because objectively speaking, they share nothing other than comparable size/scale. They are completely different toys.

Subjectively speaking, I understand more people actually prefer Toynami's 1/100 scale Valkyries to Banpresto's Game Prize Valkyries

Agreed, these aren't knock-offs but I don't think anyone actually considers them to literally be knock-offs. C'mon folks, if you want to call a toy crappy call it crappy, don't call it a knock-off or you might confuse people (or indicate just how little you actually know about these toys). As Chet has indicated, they are vastly superior to the Banprestos and share nearly nothing in common with them. They do have parts in common with other larger, more expensive toys but let's face it, you can only make a VF-1 so many ways. The fact that Toynami lifted design cues from larger toys and made them work for this small of a toy is actually commendable.

I still don't understand why people who don't like these $15-$20 toys feel they should bash them (especially since the majority of those people have not, and would not, ever purchase these). There are hundreds of actual knock-offs out there, why not make threads for all of those and bash the product? People who bash these 1/100 toys in this thread seem to me like the people who hear from a coworker what happened on the Howard Stern show and then call the FCC to complain.

I've got a Banpresto and 2 Toynami's...and let me tell you the Toynami's are much better. To me the Banpresto is way too flimsy and the strike parts fall off too easily. They're no 1/48 or 1/60, but they're still nice though they could be a little cheaper or packaged w/ fast packs. The only cool thing about Banpresto's where the multiple heads in one pack.

If anything, the toynami's are cheap customs for people who want to try but don't want to ruin their other expensive ones. {Go back to page 22 and take a look at the Low Vis I made from a toynami Max.} I've never made a custom before and figured I try out on this. If I could find a hikaru/max vf-1a for cheap then I'd probably try a low-vis 2 (camo) custom. I'm half tempted to make my roy vf-1s into a custom too, but I kinda like the jolly-rodger-ish paint scheme.

But to each his own. I just wish they'd hurry up with set 2 and the fast packs. *Damn it I want my 1j's*

Excuse me guys, but hows the heatshield work with the 1/100s? Is it swap'a'matic like the 1/60s?

I long for a valk to still be in fighter mode with the heatsheild protecting the canopy.

Ala final battle. :-) That was cool!!!! If this can be done, i will so buy a 1S right now. In your face 1/48's! .... maybe. :p

I am guessing no. :p

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Excuse me guys, but hows the heatshield work with the 1/100s? Is it swap'a'matic like the 1/60s?

I long for a valk to still be in fighter mode with the heatsheild protecting the canopy.

Ala final battle. :-) That was cool!!!! If this can be done, i will so buy a 1S right now. In your face 1/48's! .... maybe. :p

I am guessing no. :p

The heatshield/clear canopy is removable and could be dispayed in fighter mode.

There is a indentation on the top/back of the heatshield that is flush to and under the chestplate in battroid but will be visible in fighter mode.

I have a mid transformation GERWALK with both canopy and shield.

I still don't understand why people who don't like these $15-$20 toys feel they should bash them (especially since the majority of those people have not, and would not, ever purchase these). There are hundreds of actual knock-offs out there, why not make threads for all of those and bash the product? People who bash these 1/100 toys in this thread seem to me like the people who hear from a coworker what happened on the Howard Stern show and then call the FCC to complain.

jenius, seriously... start making valid arguments or I'm gonna have to get back into this thread. It's not like these are hard to come by. I've handled these A LOT... and they are crap. I've been thru your website... you like every freakin toy there is. All of the toys are given almost a score of 30 except the banpresto. You're not a connosiuer... you're an enthusiast for anything plastic. I'm not gonna trust anyone that tells me to buy anything that transforms.

alright, i should not have said knockoff, instead i should've said bootleg. and i don't mean bootleg in a knockoff kind of way, more like a budget kind of way. whatevs, you guys know what i mean, theres just too many words to describe something that sucks. :lol:

getting off topic,

is it just me?, or does anyone else think jenius works for toynami?

if toynami is there, jenius is there.....hmmmm makes you wonder. :D

alright, i should not have said knockoff, instead i should've said bootleg. and i don't mean bootleg in a knockoff kind of way, more like a budget kind of way. whatevs, you guys know what i mean, theres just too many words to describe something that sucks. :lol:

getting off topic,

is it just me?, or does anyone else think jenius works for toynami?

if toynami is there, jenius is there.....hmmmm makes you wonder. :D

Whatever :rolleyes:

These are neither knockoff nor bootleg, you shouldn't have referred to them as either. Just because jenius does not hate everything Toynami does not mean he must be an employee. He likes the toys and he's entitled to his opinion, just as you are entitled to your opinion to dislike them. The difference is that I put more value in his opinion because he actually owns one and you don't.