1/100 Toynami Valks Thread

Vermillion21

Well, I broke down and ordered Series 2. With Yamato giving us a big "maybe" on the reissue of the 1J Max and Milia, I didn't have a choice. :unsure: We'll see if I regret this or not. Oh well, I ended up having $800 extra from school loans this semester. Time to treat myself. This and the 1/48 Stealth will hopefully whet my appetite.

Well, I broke down and ordered Series 2. With Yamato giving us a big "maybe" on the reissue of the 1J Max and Milia, I didn't have a choice. :unsure: We'll see if I regret this or not. Oh well, I ended up having $800 extra from school loans this semester. Time to treat myself. This and the 1/48 Stealth will hopefully whet my appetite.

You're lucky. When I was in college, my Macross choices were second hand 1/55 Jetfire or Joon's knock-offs. The Bandai and Takatoku offerings were WAY out of my price range at the time.

Picked up the 2nd set a few days ago. These are pretty cool in Battroid mode, especially when used with the display stands for some cool poses. Wish Toynami had sold these with different heads like the Banprestos. I'm sure they would have sold even more. I know I might have bought a couple more sets to see a VF-1A and VF-1S TV Max and a VF-1A and VF-1S Miria. The lack of an inner cockpit and pilot totally sucks, so I don't think I'll display these in Fighter mode at all, maybe Gerwalk from time to time, which does look cool because of the great articulation in the legs. I can't believe they couldn't just make a simple cockpit and figure to go with these. The missiles stay on really well, even better than the Yamatos it seems. Really hoping they do sell the armor sets for these. I wonder what Valks will make up set 3 if they make them?

Anyway, I took some pics. Sorry for the crappy lighting.

I got my hikaru VF-1J a couple days ago, it is pretty nice compared to the first series. Not as wobbly and doesnt fall apart as easily, also the stand is kinda sturdier though I guess time will tell if this one breaks too. Theres nothing wrong with the neck size, it actually makes it look more human to me with a long neck. I'm hoping for series 3 (if toynami makes one) that they release a CF, VF-1D, and angel birds.

Ive had one of these for a while now,(Max Vf-1a) and despite its flaws i'm pretty pleased with it for its price.

The one thing that seems wrong with it, is that when the arms lock into the legs they cant sit flush without pulling the arms out of the sockets. The slots on the legs are simply too far down. Not sure if they corrected this on the second run or not. BUT, everything easily pushes right back into place and its good as new. Another little quark, which may have been corrected, is that under the canopy there is only enough room for 2 out of the 3 digits when the sticker is applied. the last little thing, when the head laser is fully downward it points a little bit to the right.

Its a bit floppy but can hold any pose without a problem, balance is ok, and the accessories are nice and plentiful. The stickers BLOW, but with a trim they look a bit better. The Embossed skull on the heat shield is a bit strange, but it doesn't really bother me as much as it seems to some of the folks here.

Transformation is simple and I don't fear breaking anything, but even if i did I wouldn't really care. I was also wondering what they were planning to do for fastpack attachment to the backpack and noticed that the two side panels actually pull off to reveal a polycap (neat) for attachment like the fast packs for the arms and legs

Edited by Anavel

• 3 weeks later...

Toynami is certainly an anomaly at the moment. We see the Beta and then it vanishes and is completely replaced by the Macross figures. Then Macross figures vanish and are completely replaced by New Gen stuff. Seems to me that Toynami isn't capable of carrying more than one big production at a time. If they're going back to Robotech to take advantage of Shadow Chronicles then it may take a while for them to get back to Macross... I don't know though, the Macross line seems too cheap and easy to ditch and it doesn't seem like it's selling to bad either.

Edited by jenius

How do you compare its QC with Bandai`s MSIA/EMSIA and Kaiyodo Revoletch action figures.

I got 2 at Katsucon and I would say it is close to the MSIA, and similar to revoltech. Thing is, its hard plastic, not PVC like the MSIA's, its misleading since at first glance it does not look like it.

Wave 2 is a lot better in quality than wave 1. Wave 1 has some looseness, wave 2 is very tight. The main thing that irritates me is that the backpack on wave 1 does not lock or hold position in fighter mode as well as wave 2. I have the DYRL Max and TV Max. The swing bars in on my wave 1 max do not hold in gerwalk mode but on my wave 2 max they are very tight and hold position.

The construction is very similar to the gundam 1/144 scale kits, polycaps, and those white/grey plastic joints that limbs pop into. Think of a gundam kit in that scale only more durable and you pretty much get the idea of how these things are.

Overall you get a lot for $20. Why? Hold the box in your hands, and open the front flap on your left, its got a ton of accessories and an adjustable stand for 3 modes. To me, this is a lot for $20. Most Gundam MSIA's don't even have this much.

Its the only variable $20 valkyrie toy you can get and its worth it to me. Aside from the backpack in fighter mode, it does look better than the MPC. Also, it seems to me that the focus was on battroid mode as it is the best looking mode. Articulation is a lot better than the MPC and so are the proportions. If toynami ever revisits the MPC line it would be awesome if it was based on the 1/100 line.

I do hope we get armor for $10 or less. Collectiondx.com had coverage of toynami from toyfair and said this:

1/100 scale Macross fighters where on display as well but no new styles and sadly no strike armor at this time. George says they want to focus on the Cyclones and new Alphas this year and they will revisit the 1/100th scale next year. He also did agree that they would like to expand the line to include the lesser done mecha from the series like Battle pods.

That is how most feel about the Alpha/Beta bit. Toynami needs to just finish the production of a series.

The only thing they seems to have finished was the super posiables.

They can do the other stuff next year. I just want my armor for now. It looked very nice.

Fickle buyers eh? You guys might want to just throw them in a closet rather than selling them off. In between this long gap of product releases stores will not be getting more 1/100s in stock. Then, if Toynami returns and puts out the fast packs you might feel like buying the 1/100s again and not be able to find them anywhere anymore. It's like if Toynami ever does sell a Beta, where are you going to get Scott's Alpha to go with it? (I think Scott's alpha's selling out actually might hinder the likelihood of a Beta BTW).

This news gets me worried because once they finish doing what they have planned this year, why would they release new accessories for a figure line that's over a year old and no longer as easily available?

How well do those super poseable strike packs fit on the 1/100's anyway? Does it take much trimming?

Maybe we should all write letters to Toynami Corp and see how they respond.

They responded to the bad ball joint issues, albit slowly, so maybe if enough of us complain they might actually do something right.

I really hope they release the FP's soon, I need them to finish my custom Low-Vis and Camo 1A's.

I am disappointed to hear that we might not get the Super/Strike parts this year or at all, but I won't be selling any of mine. Even without the FAST packs, I still like them.

I, for one, am disappointed with your response, mister-e. Not nearly enough huff or vitriol expressed for a post on this forum :p:lol:

I think I'll hang on to mine as well.