1/100 Toynami Valks Thread

Vermillion21

Hey everyone, I just purchased a hikaru 1s from a fellow mw'er. And I was actually a bit anxious to know another thing about these. The head turret lasers, is it that soft plastic like the banprestos or a harder plastic material? Btw, I'm also planning to buy a few more to do custom paint job on another 1S (low vis preferably) Any tips/advice on how I should go about this or what kinda tools I'd need? Thanks in advance.

Hey everyone, I just purchased a hikaru 1s from a fellow mw'er. And I was actually a bit anxious to know another thing about these. The head turret lasers, is it that soft plastic like the banprestos or a harder plastic material? Btw, I'm also planning to buy a few more to do custom paint job on another 1S (low vis preferably) Any tips/advice on how I should go about this or what kinda tools I'd need? Thanks in advance.

I would buy an exacto/modeling knife, modeling tape, and some kind of thinner to get the paint off. Nearly the entire thing is hard plastic, looks are very decieving since it looks like PVC even in person, but once you handle it, you can tell the difference.

Think of a 1/144 bandai gundam model but more durable, thats how the 1/100 valkyrie is like.

Maybe we should all write letters to Toynami Corp and see how they respond.

They responded to the bad ball joint issues, albit slowly, so maybe if enough of us complain they might actually do something right.

I really hope they release the FP's soon, I need them to finish my custom Low-Vis and Camo 1A's.

I wrote toynami TWO emails, BOTH of which they responded to, telling me they'd replace the busted ball sockets on all four of my 1/100 toys. That was months ago. They never sent me the replacements. I emailed again to ask what was up and never got a response. Shame on you, toynami. That's just messed up.

I wrote toynami TWO emails, BOTH of which they responded to, telling me they'd replace the busted ball sockets on all four of my 1/100 toys. That was months ago. They never sent me the replacements. I emailed again to ask what was up and never got a response. Shame on you, toynami. That's just messed up.

I remember hearing from someone who did actually get replacements. That does suck though. Out of curiosity, did they ask you to send in your busted ones? I'd find that pretty funny. I did take some pics of the new & improved series 2 version, it's funny how little a change seemed to make such a big improvement. On the plus side, at least Toynami listened enough to get the second version right... I think that's a first for them.

I remember hearing from someone who did actually get replacements. That does suck though. Out of curiosity, did they ask you to send in your busted ones? I'd find that pretty funny. I did take some pics of the new & improved series 2 version, it's funny how little a change seemed to make such a big improvement. On the plus side, at least Toynami listened enough to get the second version right... I think that's a first for them.

Its not just the polycap that got fixed in the 2nd version, the actual toy itself is improved in many ways.

For example, my DYRL Max has swing bars that do not really lock into or stay into place. This makes mid air posing in gerwalk dissapointing.

I opened my TV Max VF-1J and everything is UBER tight. The backpack barely flops around in fighter mode when upside down, unlike the DYRL max.

And the poly cap for the stand is so much tighter. I need to get a replacement for my DYRL busted cap.

Main reason I got DYRL max is because the VF-1A has the best sculpt of the series and his valk in the beginning of DYRL looked awesome when he PWND the zentran dude in the face literally. Of course I also got it in hope of getting a FAST pack to shove onto him to recreate the scene with bliss.

Very fun to pose with articulation only rivaled by the 1/48, seriously. $20 don't hurt the wallet that bad niether.

Its not just the polycap that got fixed in the 2nd version, the actual toy itself is improved in many ways.

One thing you didn't mention, but maybe you can confirm it for me, it seems to me that he guns were also improved. My Series 1 the guns seem to have a hard time staying together at the handle when I'm handling the toy. On series 2 I can actually lift the gun out of the toys hand without it separating (and it fits very snugly in that hand).

Well, Toynami finally responded to my inquiry about updates to the 1/100 line. They basically said they can't provide any information at this moment in time.

Damn...I just want some Fast Packs / Strike Armor.

Edited by jodokast

Well, Toynami finally responded to my inquiry about updates to the 1/100 line. They basically said they can provide any information at this moment in time.

Damn...I just want some Fast Packs / Strike Armor.

dude, in your avatar, did you make you're own little LV2 using the 1/100s?

thats awesome! B))

Jenius are you going to review the 1/100 takatoku? That looks pretty nifty, but it looks like it lacks swivel elbows/wrists.

One thing you guys should watch out for are torn joint holders(the plastic things the biceps plug into on the shoulders). A torn one doesn't result in lack of articulation or loseness but its annoying knowing its there*even if the joint holder has a tear, the arm can still stay in, its not too big of a deal*. I found one broken holder on both of my figures. To avoid this, make sure the big part of the bicep is facing the outside when plugged in.(the joint holders or whatever you called them are similar to gundam model kits, and the white parts from rockman kits).

Just something to watch out for. Jenius' review is the best one so far, and the most honest one as well. Funny thing is, I think toynami emphasized the battroid mode in this line, as its the best mode and most fun to play with in that mode. Gerwalk mode is good and fighter mode is decent but could have been better, the small backpack and the fact that it does not sit completely flush in fighter make it the weakest mode. Still, I'd rather have one of these things than the variable 1/100 imai kits.

I bet the MPC's will be delayed so toynami should put the armor out ASAP.

I finally got a proper review of these up on my site (click here).

Fair review. *thumbs up*

You do mention that the series 2 cups are more durable, but it wouldn't to hurt to say that they don't have the issues of posing in fighter mode that the series 1 cups do. Although that's just my personal experience. I have two of my VF-1J's in swooping fighter poses and they've been like that since I bought them, compared to my VF-1S who's cup promptly cracked 15 minutes later. :D

I wholeheartedly agree though: if you're going to get just one, get a VF-1J.

Fair review. *thumbs up*

You do mention that the series 2 cups are more durable, but it wouldn't to hurt to say that they don't have the issues of posing in fighter mode that the series 1 cups do. Although that's just my personal experience. I have two of my VF-1J's in swooping fighter poses and they've been like that since I bought them, compared to my VF-1S who's cup promptly cracked 15 minutes later. :D

I wholeheartedly agree though: if you're going to get just one, get a VF-1J.

The J's are almost too tight hehe, turning the heads requires more force than one would think.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh wow, I forgot I posted the link to my review here. Some comments:

Jenius are you going to review the 1/100 takatoku? That looks pretty nifty, but it looks like it lacks swivel elbows/wrists.

Absolutely, the photos are done and I'm just waiting for my stupid desk to arrive so I can get back to editing and posting at home. I've got lots of comparison pics and I'm going to do some out-sourcing to someone more knowledgable on these old toys to make sure I cover the most amount of info I can.

You do mention that the series 2 cups are more durable, but it wouldn't to hurt to say that they don't have the issues of posing in fighter mode that the series 1 cups do.

The review for the second series is practically done, it will make it abundantly clear that the new cups are much stronger. It's also going to have a sweet photo of the cups in action :)

Teaser pic! :D

IPB Image

Edited by jenius

Question, the ball aside, just how durable and easily transformable are these? I ask because my stepson turns five next month and wants a Hikaru and Sempei Valkyrie, and was thinking of getting him the first release 3 pack.