• 4 months later...

The Playmates Classic Lion set is going to be re-released as a Walmart exclusive box set. Preorders here:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Voltron-Legendary-Classic-Comb-Set/861175972

Looks like it may not include all the weapons for the lions that the original release had, but it'd be nice to have the box for storage and it's hard to go wrong at that price.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Still 'spensive as hell, but it is on the upper limit of what I can justify to myself. If it wasn't Voltron, I wouldn't even consider it.

As I've said before, I understand how the price tag wound up where it is, but it is a hard pill to swallow.

SOC VV is a fun bugger to pose and has tons of accessories.

It is smaller than the 80’s toy (but still winds up being significantly heavier).

It does have its little frustrations, but the reviews here can identify the trouble/tricky areas.

On 11/26/2020 at 7:14 PM, pengbuzz said:

Still improbable for me. Wouldn't have minded an "LSA 15 in one" knockoff they had for 10 bucks at K-Mart back in 2008, but that ship sailed, wrecked and sank to the bottom of the collectible ocean...

I've still got mine, and it's good enough for me lol.  When I saw them in TRU BITD it was a must-buy...

• 1 month later...
24 minutes ago, Mog said:

For a second there, I thought, “Oh crap! What new Voltron SOC did they just announce?!” :lol:

My wallet and display space appreciate the breather.

No, Voltron 3D Stealth Voltron isn't to be announced until NEXT month. No mercy for the wallet!

(I kid. To my knowledge, there are no further Voltron SOC releases planned.)

Nah screw that, I wanted the Robeast Combiner with Blazing Scimitar!!

Snowball’s chance in hell of it ever getting made, but a man can dream.

. . . Or just give us Legendary Defender Voltie with eleven-billionty accessories and such. :spiteful:

Edited by Mog

If we’re dreaming, then Bandai should release a Legendary Defender Voltron chock full of accessories including but not limited to:

* The big honking cannon Yellow activates.

* All the various swords Voltron wields during the series (including that literal flaming sword).

* The massive angel-like wings Black Lion busts out.

. . . And an IN SCALE, articulated-to-the-hilt IGF-Atlas!! :shok::crazy:

I don't need every little accessory- most of my Dairugger and Golion accessories are stored in their stands, which themselves are in a closet. But I'd love a Legendary Defender To go with the other two Voltrons.

3 hours ago, JB0 said:

And a Voltron Force Voltron while we're at it.

If we do that we'd pretty much have to do Stealth Voltron from The Third Dimension, too.

...not that I'm saying no to either of those.

3 hours ago, JB0 said:

Get every Voltron the SoC treatment

unnamed.thumb.jpg.ca73c2eabf8394c85acc4df30c7d0eec.jpg

Of course, knowing Bandai’s style, they’d nickel and dime us for every Legendary Defender accessory out there:  one pack for all the swords, one pack for the spread-out wings, etc., etc.

They’d probably make us pay separately for the Atlas too! :p

22 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

If we do that we'd pretty much have to do Stealth Voltron from The Third Dimension, too.

...not that I'm saying no to either of those.

unnamed.thumb.jpg.ca73c2eabf8394c85acc4df30c7d0eec.jpg

I am TOTALLY okay with Albegas Gladiator Voltron getting the SOC treatment too.

(I actually remember seeing that toy in stores and being excited there was a THIRD Voltron. Then disappointed when I never saw him in the cartoons.)

5 minutes ago, JB0 said:

I am TOTALLY okay with Albegas Gladiator Voltron getting the SOC treatment too.

(I actually remember seeing that toy in stores and being excited there was a THIRD Voltron. Then disappointed when I never saw him in the cartoons.)

When I was little my dad told me and my brother he'd buy us each a toy under a certain price.  Naturally that price excluded any Lion Voltron stuff, so I got the black gladiator and my brother got the red one.  We never got the blue one and never tried combining them because, as noted, they weren't in any cartoons.  Even to my four year old self Gladiator Voltron seemed kind of like a KO Voltron.

So as an adult I must have him, of course.

Growing up in the 80's and being a HUGE Voltron fan, I remember seeing that toy in the stores as well and being like "uhhhh WTF is that?".  Never wanted it as it didn't have a cartoon attached to it! :rolleyes:

The vehicle Matchbox Voltron though...I begged and pleaded with my mom until she got me all three sets...which I still have today. The size of the thing is still epic. Makes the SOC one look a little puny side by side.  :D

Edited by derex3592

2 hours ago, derex3592 said:

The vehicle Matchbox Voltron though...I begged and pleaded with my mom until she got me all three sets...which I still have today. The size of the thing is still epic. Makes the SOC one look a little puny side by side.  :D

True that.

It’s just that, to use an analogy, the Matchbox is like a red gas giant star, while the SOC is a neutron star.

For something so small, the SOC packs a poop-ton of weight and mass. 

• 4 weeks later...

DX Voltron is such a beautiful toy; I've passed on it twice, but dammit, I'm so tempted. I just don't know where I'd put this guy- no room.:(

Classic Voltron is, well, classic, but I wish that Bandai had done the toys for the Netflix show- a DX version of that design would be awesome. I have the smaller of the Playmates Voltron toys that can still separate into the lions, and while it's a fun toy to play with, it leaves somewhat to be desired in materials and articulation. I wish there was a high quality offering.

Just finished watching the Netflix show last night, and I thought it was great. I wish the same team had done the Siege/Earthrise Transformers show. I'm a fan of Rooster Teeth's RWBY and Gen:Lock, so my hopes were high. Somewhere along the way, the ball was dropped.:(

12 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

DX Voltron is such a beautiful toy; I've passed on it twice, but dammit, I'm so tempted. I just don't know where I'd put this guy- no room.:(

I've gotta echo @derex3592 on this. It's kind of apples and oranges, but I think GX-71 is a cut above any of the Transformers stuff I own. Make Voltron the centerpiece on your dining table if you have to, but don't miss it again.

Now that I think about it, where are you going to put Unicron?

36 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

I've gotta echo @derex3592 on this. It's kind of apples and oranges, but I think GX-71 is a cut above any of the Transformers stuff I own. Make Voltron the centerpiece on your dining table if you have to, but don't miss it again.

Now that I think about it, where are you going to put Unicron?

The one thing I have going for me so far as Voltron goes is that my wife was a fan, and even had a couple of the Lions, as a kid, and she enjoyed the Netflix show. She complains all the time about how much room all my stuff takes up in the house these days, and she's not wrong.

So to answer the question of where am I going to put Unicron, not to mention a potential DX Voltron,  I'm not sure yet. I was planning on building a big shelf next to my four CHUG shelves,  but given the diameter and the weight, I think I want him on more solid footing. So, I'm going to have to do some much needed rearranging in the mancave to create some room in the corner for him. That's about the only viable solution I see right now. 

We were eyeballing a house that's yet to be built in my area, as there's still time to make certain changes to the house, like adding a third garage stall (for my crap), but the property sits right next to a raceway, and the noise levels would drive me crazy in the summer. I keep hoping a similar property further away from the raceway will become available, as we're about due an upgrade in square footage.