What I LIKE about Macross 7

Agent ONE

Had George Lucas writen Star Wars with  Luke out there singing to defeat the Empire instead of blowing the Death Star to atoms, the film would never have gone over with American audiences(because of the sheer stupidity of the concept) and Star Wars would have been a complete failure.   

If sheer stupidity were enough to guarantee a cinematic failure, theaters would be a LOT emptier.

PS - maybe someone should start a new thread asking "Who's more believable, Max Jenius or Nekki Basara.

That's like comparing batman to superman.

Batman uses his mind, honed skill and training. Supes uses his powers. (he is an alien)

Max although just a normal person may be the genius he claims to be and just uses that natural skill. (kind of like how you see genius children in the world outsmart most adults because of thier gift)

The thing is basara's message to you all is to never give up. The more you fail, the more determined you should be. This is why he is so stubborn. When he failed to move that mountain it was like, this is my dream, I will keep going. And the protodevlin no matter how large and scary were the immovable mountain. Of course nobody can just do this on thier own which is why he needed support from everyone else.

I think that is the message to pacificsm. The hope that one person's demonstration may lead to other people passing on the belief and when enough people get off thier bum to voice thier opinions they can persuade the opposing side to stop destroying things.

But you see people fighting everyday: Max and milia, hikaru and misa, brothers vs brothers and sisters vs sisters. Rivals will fight over rivals. (Guld and Dyson)

Some people will even fight to protect even if it means killing themselves. I doubt we humans could persuade a wild animal that wants to protect its young from predators to stop attacking the predator. For some creatures it is an inbuilt instinct. Basara at least saw that this was his own view of the world and not everyone elses.

I suppose the key rests in how much people get off thier butt to fight for peace (whether through weapons or persuasion) because a single person could not do it all. But a group of really determined people might persuade another group. In the case of unspacy they had the luxury of knowing they had no alternative BUT to trust in this kid.

In the real world we have other alternatives and usually people go for the more destructive one. (using superior show of force to deter enemy which eventually brings peace - that is until the enemy somehow steals the transformation data or super weapons ala Mac 0)

I think the human race is far more going to end up like the people in that appleseed movie. We will put so much faith in the technology that it will rule over us and tell us we are now worthless and too destructive to be "sustainable" to keep alive anymore. (its happening already with the greenies trying to convince us all that the world can't sustain the human population due to global warming and the "evil" industrialised living we have which is just rubbish - it's just a convenient way for the established to maintain control over the entire worlds resources for thier own greedy ends. Already you have poeple trying to justify why they should be allowed to kill thier loved ones because they are not productive members to society, which I find scary. Challenge everything and don't believe the propaganda. Its like how the zeon want to kill off the old types to save the earth but they need to murder thier own race to build thier utopion ideal, making them look more classy and decent on the exterior, but in the end they are no better than the average joe because of thier questionable methods.)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

PS - maybe someone should start a new thread asking "Who's more believable, Max Jenius or Nekki Basara.

Batman uses his mind, honed skill and training. Supes uses his powers. (he is an alien)

Max although just a normal person may be the genius he claims to be and just uses that natural skill. (kind of like how you see genius children in the world outsmart most adults because of thier gift)

Actually, that's more like comparing Batman to a Batman who hardly ever punches his enemies, hardly ever uses any of his martial arts, and just dances around dodging gunfire, attacks, and sings other supervillians into submission. Probably not unheard of for a comic character, but then again Basara's singing isn't some sort of superhuman power. He's just really, really passionate. And as far as I understand, Basara isn't an alien from Krypton who's powers are enhanced by the rays of a yellow sun.

I have to agree that Basara survivng scores of battles without shooting is implausible, and certainly isn't realistic, if by "realism" we mean similar to something that actually happens in real life. There is no record of a single combat pilot who has survived scores of engagements without firing a shot, evading all attacks merely by manuevering and using defensive countermeasures. Shooting back is pivotal to any pilot's survival, and enemy pilots having to maneuver against the constant threat of his attacks is what keeps them off a pilot's own six.

Max is a combattive genius, of Basara's skill or better. But we stretch his exploits and survival in SDF to implausibility if we change it so that he never actually fires his gunpod or shoots a missile in the many, many battles he participates in. Yet this is what we're being asked to accept in M7. The implausibility of it all only increases when we also add the fact that Max is also singing to his enemies the whole time. Somehow this just doesn't rub me as particularly "realistic".

Oh, yeah. What I like about M7.

-The music isn't too shabby. Planet Dance isn't even that bad in mild doses.

-Milia with a cute short hair cut. Short hair's my fetish. Sue me.

-Milia's VF-1J, the Monster run by old geezers, and basically everything that harkens back to SDF with exception to the VF-1's painted like clowns in that very same episode.

-Character development and interactions. They were entertaining to watch, and Mylene's somewhat fun.

-Al

You know...I keep seeing the word "realistic". Really, when you see ships and planes transforming into giant robots, stuff about aliens and all that stuff... you can check your realism at the door. Cuz you don't need to have it with you all the time around here.

Anyways...

What I like about M7...all of it. Some highlights...

Music: Loved it. Of course, it's not part of my rotation these days. I can still hum every song made for the series..I think. I should just rip all the CDs I have and dump it on my iPod for olde-times sake.

Characters: I liked how the characters changed to accomodate Basara, not Basara accomodate the people around him. It was a nice switch seeing the supporting characters grow as oppose to the main character. Normally, the main character is the one doing the growing, but in M7, the people around the main character are the ones doing the growing.

Mechs: The VF-17 was my boy until I saw the VF-22. Finally, a sorta-YF-21 that doesn't come with a pilot with mental baggage.

The thing is basara's message to you all is to never give up. The more you fail, the more determined you should be. This is why he is so stubborn. When he failed to move that mountain it was like, this is my dream, I will keep going. And the protodevlin no matter how large and scary were the immovable mountain. Of course nobody can just do this on thier own which is why he needed support from everyone else.

Word, like I said, Basara never tried to stop the soldiers from protecting, he just didn't believe in fighting himself. Both he & Gamlin came to a mutual understanding.

Had George Lucas writen Star Wars with  Luke out there singing to defeat the Empire instead of blowing the Death Star to atoms, the film would never have gone over with American audiences(because of the sheer stupidity of the concept) and Star Wars would have been a complete failure.   

If sheer stupidity were enough to guarantee a cinematic failure, theaters would be a LOT emptier.

331898[/snapback]

:lol::lol::lol:

• 4 months later...

Sorry for the "thread necromancy" folks. Here is what I like about the series thus far (still working on watching the episodes).

1- My beloved VF-11 Thunderbolts. It's a shame to see a bunch of idiots flying them and getting them blown up left and right.

2-The Music.

3- Gamlin and Diamond Force. They just kick ass in those VF-17s.

4- Mylene Flare Jenius.

5- GUBABA!

6- The new Bridge Bunnies.

7- Max, Millia, and Exedol returning to a Macross installment.

8-Veffridas(sp?). The quiet ones are the ones you have to watch.

9- The new warship designs.

10- Basara Nekki. He doesn't seem to be annoying as some reviews I have read made him out to be.

331906[/snapback]

anybody else see the dark night two parter wher cerebrus took control of bruce wayne for his assets with nanites and superman went undercover in a batman costum to figure out what happened to bruce with robins help? sooooooooooo damn funny when the one guy [the wrestler whose name I'd remember sober] dropped a builing on batman... who then dusted himself off and whopped some ass :lol:

10- Basara Nekki. He doesn't seem to be annoying as some reviews I have read made him out to be.

Oooh, just wait.

367309[/snapback]

Exactly what I was thinking...

*dons asbestos suit*

I've got spares. First come, first serve.

367418[/snapback]

:huh:

VF-11 Full Armor =)

The character progression and developments

Cliffhanger endings

Max and the Bridge Bunnies

325146[/snapback]

Ditto!!

- The more I look at the VF-11, the more I appreciate it! The rest of the Valks left me cold... :huh:

-Insights into the history of Protoculture and the Supervision army as well...

- Oh and Sivil's costume!! :p

** Resisting with Herculian effort to refrain from any further comments about the series... :ph34r:

Edited by Zinjo

- The more I look at the VF-11, the more I appreciate it!  The rest of the Valks left me cold... :huh:

367437[/snapback]

Amen to that. Even the production VF-19 rubbed me the wrong way because of its stubby wings. Call me boring, but I think that the VF-11 was the perfect blend of old and new. IMHO, the Thunderbolt was the best Valkyrie design in the entire Macross 7 series.

-EDIT-

Although the full armor variant's huge gunpod was pushing it.

Edited by Sukotto

The Music was great!

Millia in her OG VF-1J and flightsuite teaching Basara how to handle his Valk.

And the episode where they had the OCC style Destroids hot rodded out with flames and kick ass paint jobs.

Any music that doesn't get played OVER AND OVER again is pretty cool in M7 (I swear, if I have to listen to "planet dance" or "Totsugeki Love Heart" one more time...), and almost the entire Dynamite soundtrack rocks it out. The standard military mecha also win.

Millia in her OG VF-1J and flightsuite teaching Basara how to handle his Valk.

Yeah that was a bit o' cool nostalgia, but it bugged me that they got her flight suit wrong...Hikaru will be missing his flight suit, I suspect.

Though, I'm sure Keith will explain it as the two somehow got switched at the cleaners and it's perfectly acceptable in the Mac universe...blah blah blah. :rolleyes:

And the episode where they had the OCC style Destroids hot rodded out with flames and kick ass paint jobs.

367503[/snapback]

Yeah that was fun, albiet stretching things a bit...

Edited by Zinjo

His name twas Bane, and he isnt a wrestler, just a badass genius from south of the border

331906[/snapback]

anybody else see the dark night two parter wher cerebrus took control of bruce wayne for his assets with nanites and superman went undercover in a batman costum to figure out what happened to bruce with robins help? sooooooooooo damn funny when the one guy [the wrestler whose name I'd remember sober] dropped a builing on batman... who then dusted himself off and whopped some ass :lol:

367344[/snapback]

Further character development of Max and Millia (though I hated the fact that they were split up)

The songs were crap at first, but then they sent tendrils into my brain, and all of the sudden, I started liking them.

Gubaba - I don't know why, but Gubaba is one of the coolest characters in Macross 7. Probably because he was basically just a mirror/ accentuator of Mylene's various emotional states, but despite the fact that he's a rat, he's more catlike than anything. Gubaba could care less about every other living human onboard City 7.......except for Mylene (and for some reason, Basara).

331906[/snapback]

367344[/snapback]

You must be drunk when you posted this :D (Cerebrus) is Brainiac and the masked guy(Wrestler) is Bane the guy who snapped batmans' back in the comic book as part of a story angle to bring out a new Batman. I saw that episode when barely awake myself but sober.

A little of topic, but is Hikaru dead according to M7? I have not seen this series? And if Hikaru is dead, when is he supposed to die?

Thanks!

367966[/snapback]

He's not mentioned in Mac7.

According to official continuity, in 2016 "Megaroad-01's communications cease near the center of the Milky Way Galaxy. (News about this ship are not publicized.)"

http://macross.anime.net/story/chronology/2013/index.html

That means that Hikaru, Misa, and Minmay are lost in space. They're presumed dead, but...

Edited by JB0

Wow, thanks for the fast response. How do we know this? is this a book? Who came up with this?

Buuuuuuuaaaaa(cries outloud) I don't want Hikkie to die.... and if does, I want to se him die! :)

367977[/snapback]

Official statement from the hoary froating head. Hasn't been dealt with in any narrative that I'm aware of.

It likely happened after one too many fan asked him "What happened next?!?!?!"

He was always rather clear that he considered the story over after DYRL. He only came back because Big West did Macross 2 when he tried to let the franchise die, and redoing the whole Hikaru/Misa/Minmay triangle AGAIN was never going to happen.

But people wouldn't accept "... and they all lived happily ever after" so he finally gave up and said "... and they all fell down a black hole and died" or some relative thereof.