What I LIKE about Macross 7

Agent ONE

Only positive comments about Macross7 in this thread!!

Its not easy being me. Due to my unreal levels of awesomeness, when I give my opinion on a subject it has the tendancy of overpowering thousands of people, rendering their souls useless. As I have been freely bashing Macross7, I realize that I have really walked over some people, and that wasn't my intention. Therefore the following is a list of things that I liked about Macross 7.

- The VF-11. Reminds me of the VF-1, but more agressive.

- Flower girl. Not sure what she represented, but she reminded me of the people in SDFM for some reason.

- Trash collection robot. It was just cool.

- Learing more about the Protoculture/Supervision Army.

- Tie ins from SDFM and DYRL. Like hearing Minmay's music.

- Millia's character. I didn't like her as a character, but she took what we saw in SDFM on the repair factory to a new level. I now realize that she is a very different character than I thought 20 years ago. This fact makes SDFM and DYRL even better.

You guys mention the bridge bunnies... Thats funny. I never realized there were any untill it was mentioned here. I really was entertained by the ones in SDFM though. Did they have names in M7?

You guys mention the bridge bunnies... Thats funny.  I never realized there were any untill it was mentioned here.  I really was entertained by the ones in SDFM though.  Did they have names in M7?

325163[/snapback]

Yes, but I'd be hard-pressed to say what they are right now...

<Digs out Miss Macross 7>

Okay here we go, the Bridge Bunnies of M7

Miho Miho

Sally S. Ford

Kim Saintlaurent

Ho Sidok

Lora Continental

Shine and Fine Brockenglitts (twin sisters)

Rivi Donen

Ella Fitzgerald

Miho and Sally get most of the screen time. That should be a good poll, the most popular Bridge Bunny

Cruel Angel's Thesis

While DYRL? and Plus went one way with the Macross story, with a heavier emphasis on the mecha battles and more serious storytelling, it seemed to me that Macross 7 remained equally true to the original tv series but in the opposite direction. If you'll recall, SDF was very, very light hearted at times. It was a nice change of pace. Also, like Plus and Zero, it's a different story, and not just a rehash of the same tale, one of the reasons I'll always prefere Macross as a whole to some other mecha franchises.

Character and relationship developement was definitely the strong point of M7. Among my friends we sometimes call it the shojo-Macross. In particular, I like how all the characters around Basara are handled. All of them mirror fan's reactions to Basara. Some dig him and his ideas right away, most slowly come around over a very long period of time, and others never get him or his ideas, and never will. I love the relationship developement between Max and Millia, and between Basara and Gamlin particularly.

I'm not a fan of the Sound Force mecha designs, it's true, however there's still plenty of excellent mecha in the show. In fact, I'd way just about every non-Sound Force Valkyrie is excellent. Even so, Dr. Chiba's attitude towards everything lends a certain kind of sense to the Sound Force designs.

I really enjoy the music, and with such a large selection of songs from the show I'd wager I listen to M7 music more than any other Macross.

I also like the overall story and themes. That if you work hard, don't give up, and don't compromise your beliefs, you can make a difference in the world. Also, even though it's a lot of work, if everyone did try, just try, to see things from the "other side's" point of view things would be better all around. This was also a strong theme in Macross Zero.

I'm just surprised that Agent-one would start a thread about M7 given his dastardly reputation on how he hated M7. But any way I liked the mecha ,before I saw it I liked the VF-19S even got the model of it unfortunatly I accidently melted the wing when my arm lamp fell down on it after I painted the joint to keep it from dropping in batroid mode. I also like the full armor VF-11

I'm just surprised that Agent-one would start a thread about M7 given his dastardly reputation on how he hated M7. But any way I liked the mecha ,before I saw it I liked the VF-19S even got the model of it unfortunatly I accidently melted the wing when my arm lamp fell down on it after I painted the joint to keep it from dropping in batroid mode. I also like the full armor VF-11

325213[/snapback]

reminds of of that comic hurin posted i think. had that mac 7 hater turn to a worshipper.

Wow, this thread is tough because I want to read what everyone said was a positive already just so I don't repeat them but at the same time I don't want to read it so I don't have a fiery urge to refute them... tough stuff indeed!

Hey, did someone say Ella Fitzgerald was one of Max's bridge bunnies? I certianly don't remember an old black crooner being on the bridge at any point...

Positives about Macross 7... gimme a moment I can think of one or two...

1) Gold Q-Rau

2) Rex unzipping (oh so hot, want to touch the...)

3) Max kickin' butt in his VF-22 (where's my VF-22 toy Bandai???)

4) Gubaba (don't quote me on this because I hate to admit I liked it... it's like an emoticon... I feel much less manly for liking it but still do anyway)

5) Sivil

6) VF-17 (not the gussied up glam rock one, the standard midnight blue/black)

7) VF-19 (not the gussied up glam rock Kai, the standard blue/black one)

8) VF-11 (although it's performance is much better in Mac Plus even though it only gets 1/100000000 of the onscreen time there)

9) If she never talked, the blonde chick that headed up the Varuta

10) Knowing it can never be released stateside.

Well, I found the boxed set and bought it over the summer and am in the process of watching it.... the music doesn't apeal to me bc/ I can't understand it :lol: but I really like the non-Sound Force mecha designs... I don't understand why the VF-11 dies so easily now, but it's still cool to see it in action...

9. was a guy and always talked about the farm dream he had. if thats the one your refering to

325238[/snapback]

All how you look at it. Gepelnitch's host body WAS female, even if the character was male.

325240[/snapback]

The voice actor must be female too.

9. was a guy and always talked about the farm dream he had. if thats the one your refering to

325238[/snapback]

Man, don't scare me like that!! I thought maybe Macross7 had turned me gay! Not for nothing but if that blonde number is a dude it's one dude I would do! :)

Okay, I found this though and it makes me feel better:

Geppernich

The principal enenmy, Geppernich is a protodevilin whose dreram of a "Spiritia Farm" begins the whole series of attacks on Macross 7 (and Macross 5 as it turns out) and eventually turns her into a "Spirita Black Hole" which threatens to eat up the entire galaxy. Geppernich' gender is an issue as she seems to be a she but from time to time is referred to as a he...?

props to this page http://members.tripod.com/~MJenius/m7.html for the above information

Edited by jenius

325238[/snapback]

All how you look at it. Gepelnitch's host body WAS female, even if the character was male.

325240[/snapback]

325249[/snapback]

its not uncommon for women to voice act male roles in other anime.

Does this mean Keith will have to start a thread about why Mac 7 sucks? :p

Seriously, I think it's very brave of Kawamori to take a totally different direction with Mac 7. Not a rehash, not a continuation. New story, yet still carry the spirit of the original SDFM, and not to mention the cool valks. In a way, Kawamori is Basara, pursuing his dream despite all bashing from others.

P.S. I think I'm one of the few (or the only one) who loves the Fire Valk and the Ray's VF-17.

I'm pretty sure the evil form of Geppy is a dude but it's a possessed girl he uses for his command.  They even fem her up a bit when they do their commercial break still shots -

325260[/snapback]

Yah. That was the impression I got, that GEpelnitch was a male who had posessed a female body for his use until his personal body was available again.

325238[/snapback]

325240[/snapback]

325249[/snapback]

its not uncommon for women to voice act male roles in other anime.

325257[/snapback]

Yep. Kenshin Himura and Yahiko Myojin for example.

Hmm:

Story: Does exactly what a sequel should, mind what happened before, whle expanding upon it, all the while not re-hashing. Macross 7 stays true to everything which came before it.

Characters: All deep & well thought out, all have their place in the story, and none (except for the last 2 protodevelin) are filler (even then, one of the last 2 protodevelin was voiced by Hikaru's Seiyuu, so remember that everytime you hear that annoying ass laugh). I especially enjoyed Basara, one of the few main protagonists in any story who isn't screwed up in some way or another. He's already got his sh!t together before the story starts, and everyone else has to catch up to him.

Pacing: Despite what some thing, the story flows exactly as it should. Some seem to have a problem with the first 10 episode story arc, not understanding that it's all setup for the bigger plot that takes over directly after. A good story needs setup to have effective impact, and everything there serves that purpose. It wouldn't have made sense to have an effect on people from the get go, nor would it have been as interesting to stumble upon the Protoculture ruins too early, or learn just who the Protodevelin were.

Mecha: I love the VF-19 Kai as well, and there's nothing in the mecha hand book that says mecha can't have faces. While it's not my absolute favorite, it is definately up there. Though I can't say I like what was done with the wings on the VF-19S & F varients, the stubbyness doesn't suit the design well at all.

Music: While Planet Dance is played a good number of times, anyone would be hard pressed to find a show of equal or lessor length that has anywhere near as many original tracks. Bebop would be about the only series that compares. And while style is subjective, I highly enjoy it.

ETC.

-Ok music

-all the non sound force mecha

-usage of max and milia instead of having them die like hikaru

-gubaba (reminds me of the little creature in the sign in sdf macross)

-something different from the other series (except the bits which are reptitive)

-it's better than nothing I suppose...

-qrau's appear (these are always fun to watch)

-nostalgia for older series mecha (the robot show, appearance of vf1s etc)

-new sh!t making appearances: vf22s, full armor for vf11, vf17, etc

-humor

-exedol has a bigger brain and is stuck with his giant head in the ship :lol: (what if he sneezes or needs to pick his nose??!)

-mylene has pink hair which is rare (I don't recall seeing anyone with pink hair in the old series or in the movie - could it be a wig?)

-the hero is beaten up for singing and can't fight back because it would go against his pacifist beliefs, mainly because it is humorous (its funny, even max fought back in sdf:macross : basara is way too extreme and wouldn't surivive if he was real person)

-for episodes that were animated well and didn't recycle, they were enjoyable

-focuses on civilians for once and the city, instead of soldiers (more adventure themed than war themed

-there was a group called pink pecker (hinting perhaps that the character was a pinko?) which was kind of shocking twist

-some of the ideas were pretty good (the use of beings who only interested in sapping energy rather than killing to survive - this imo is a symbol of people who are spiritually bankrupt and who are only interested in material things and a consumer lifestyle instead of creating something from within themselves and sharing it. Maybe this is a reaction to the original series' where the zentradi having valued minmay dolls, junk toys, furniture, condom vending machines etc from humans was giving the wrong message? "consumerism brings hapiness" That the zentradi were focused on too much "materialistic wants and needs" and collected lots of human items like people would collected gashapon toys; and that it isn't the only valuable thing about life and culture? Macross 7 is saying: There is more to it than that: maybe look to a force that is invisible/intangible for true fulfullment? And don't just go living an empty existance like the protodevlin which only suck from others but provide or create nothing useful, only knowing how to be a useless eater consuming off others? :D )

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

325238[/snapback]

Man, don't scare me like that!! I thought maybe Macross7 had turned me gay! Not for nothing but if that blonde number is a dude it's one dude I would do! :)

Okay, I found this though and it makes me feel better:

Geppernich

The principal enenmy, Geppernich is a protodevilin whose dreram of a "Spiritia Farm" begins the whole series of attacks on Macross 7 (and Macross 5 as it turns out) and eventually turns her into a "Spirita Black Hole" which threatens to eat up the entire galaxy. Geppernich' gender is an issue as she seems to be a she but from time to time is referred to as a he...?

Check out my site in my signature for Protodevelin details. If you notice spelling errors and such, that's because I haven't updated it in YEARS. The History section needs to be revamped.

EDIT: my geocities account just maxed it's bandwidth for that site. I guess some of you guys were checking it out @_@

I have a .com now, so I'll be moving it to there later.

Edited by Tekkaman Blade

-exedol has a bigger brain and is stuck with his giant head in the ship  :lol: (what if he sneezes or needs to pick his nose??!)

Im sure he has a whole team to pick or wipe his nose. :lol:

max: oh no exedol has nasal drippage. launch valkrie nose picking squad!!!!

-exedol has a bigger brain and is stuck with his giant head in the ship  :lol: (what if he sneezes or needs to pick his nose??!)

Im sure he has a whole team to pick or wipe his nose. :lol:

max: oh no exedol has nasal drippage. launch valkrie nose picking squad!!!!

325477[/snapback]

Spoiling everyone's fun, but he wasn't stuck. He had an elevator for leaving the bridge, that dropped him straight into the full-scale zentradi section of the ship.