Addicted to Games

Gabe Q

This guy played computer games until he died.

I've been addicted to games but never like this.

Addicted gamer

Starcraft isn't even that good of a game. Sheesh.

319048[/snapback]

the first Metroid could have killed me If I didn't have a mother who kicked my ass for playing and forgetting to eat.

Oh, come on! I probably play more games than most of the people on this board, but even I remember to take breaks to eat (or, if the game is less action intensive, eat while playing), go to the bathroom, and go to bed for at least four hours a night.

Having said that, there have been days (like when the first KOTOR came out) where I seriously did wake up, start playing, break to eat and go to the bathroom, quit around 3:00am, get up at 9:00, and start over...

Oh so that's where I left my poison laced keyboard, man I always misplace that thing.

Seriously though even when i was a hard core gamer I never spent more then 2 or 3 hours straight playing before taking a break, getting up movign around, doing something, anything else.

Not to rag on a dead guy, and I hope no one here was related to him but he was obviously unprepared for his marathon playing session.

You can't just go out and run a 15 mile marathon without training, what on earth would make someone think they could handle a stud-length video game session without properly preparing, stashing 20 bags of Cheeto's packing in the Gatorade and using the bottles to relieve yourself at the computer, come on man, get with the program!

:lol::D

oh my god dont tell hillary!

As per usual im sure there was much more going on here then " Man plays game , forgets to eat!

The relationship in question that mechamaniac posted was from a guy who played everquest. Apparently he lived alone and when some of the friends he had in eq turned on him or a female turned on him he killed himself.

Now of course they did a 20/20 interview with the mom and she broke down crying about how it was that "damned game" she found him slumped against.

Of course she also casually mentioned his problematic emotional and mental problems that had been treated medically his whole life. That part seemed to be quickly passed in teh conversation though as she prepared her legal battle against soe.

As usual the problems at hand are quickly parlayed for the easy excuse, i fdont know if thats what happened in this korean example , in this case the guy just sounds well...dumb. However thats from reading a small article , who knows what was really going on.

Either way you can just see how things such as these "damned games" and other forms of media quickly get the scapegoat, well that and yknow..satan.

Edited by SpacePirateNeko

Welll the guy was fired from his job because of him being late or not showing up due to playing games. I think this was a little too much. All things in moderation... reminds me of girl I dated. She said her ex would rather play games instead of having sex with her. :o:huh: Now that was a moron.

oh my god  dont tell hillary!

As per usual  im sure there was much more going on here then " Man plays game  , forgets to eat!

The  relationship in question that mechamaniac  posted was  from a guy  who played everquest. Apparently he lived alone and  when some of  the  friends he had in eq turned on him  or a female turned on him he  killed himself.

Now of course they did  a 20/20 interview with the mom and she broke down crying  about how it was that "damned game" she found him slumped against.

Of course she also casually mentioned  his  problematic emotional  and mental problems  that had been treated medically his whole life. That part seemed to be quickly passed in teh conversation though as she prepared her  legal battle against soe.

As usual  the problems  at hand are quickly parlayed for the  easy excuse, i fdont know if thats what happened in this korean example , in this case the guy just sounds well...dumb. However  thats from reading a small article  , who knows what was really going on.

Either way you  can just see how things such as these "damned games" and other forms of media quickly  get the scapegoat, well that and yknow..satan.

319139[/snapback]

Good post! Parents of suicidal children ALWAYS look for excuses. Finding an excuse is much easier than admitting you failed as a parent. I see the same thing with steriods. I am a supporter of mild steriod use as long as it is monitored by a doctor and used by someone over 21, but I see on 20/20 all the time about how some crying parent had no idea their kid was using the steriods that made him kill himself. This organization is where all the parents flock to: http://www.taylorhooton.org/

The really funny thing is, the kids who killed themselves on the site don't even look like they ever touched the stuff. They don't even look in shape.

Good post!  Parents of suicidal children ALWAYS look for excuses.  Finding an excuse is much easier than admitting you failed as a parent.  I see the same thing with steriods.  I am a supporter of mild steriod use as long as it is monitored by a doctor and used by someone over 21, but I see on 20/20 all the time about how some crying parent had no idea their kid was using the steriods that made him kill himself.  This organization is where all the parents flock to: http://www.taylorhooton.org/.

319145[/snapback]

The thing that people tend to forget about video games (or music, or whatever else) is that that alone won't drive a person to kill themselves or others. A video game might act as part of the catalyst (though I find that to be doubtful) but the truth is the fault lies more with the person. If someone alows themselves to get so addicted to a game they abandon their family or die... they have a whole bunch more issues than just the game.

But it's always easier to blame the easy scapegoat, especially as A1 pointed out in the case of parents... no one wants to admit their kid sucked at life.

quoting on A1: Parents of suicidal children ALWAYS look for excuses. Finding an excuse is much easier than admitting you failed as a parent.

the truth has been spooken, i think that someone who goes for suicide just for something like a videogame is a pussy, lacking the courage to stand up and face his own problems and choosing the easy way out.

as for the fathers there are times in wich discipline must be applied, and to do so they need to have strong determination and avoid being intimidated by their sons.

sometimes i pitty those who waste the precious gift of life.

I love Starcraft, but no computer game is worth dying for...although Half-Life 2 comes close :)

If there was ever a game one would consider a problem for me in my long history of PC and Console gaming, it would have been Quake II. Although it wasn't my first online game, it was the first online game I became obessessed with. For some reason I had to be the best at the game. I would practice every day and spend entrie weekends, 10:00 am to 4:00 am playing. It got to the point where I was being actively sought out for challenges by tourney players. Fortunately, I stopped playing because I got worn out, but I was never in any danger of dying. I gotta have my pizza and chocolate ya know! :)

Some of you talk lowly of these people who commit suicide. I'm sure these people were very depressed, had little or no confidence, and no hope or faith in themselves. These people aren't going to get over their depression or personal problems over night. If they're committing suicide they must feel really shitty inside and really sad (depressed). They're in a fragile state of mind. Think about it.... I feel sorry for these people that resort to suicide, thinking it's their only option. Makes you wonder what it was in their life that made them that sad and depressed.

My longest gaming session ever was in college on the LAN in 1993 playing Doom 1. Lasted a whole day... from the time the lab opened until it closed that night at 9pm.

It was actually because of us that the school amended their computer lab rules to prevent people from playing LAN games on school hardware. B))

My longest gaming session ever was in college on the LAN in 1993 playing Doom 1. Lasted a whole day... from the time the lab opened until it closed that night at 9pm.

It was actually because of us that the school amended their computer lab rules to prevent people from playing LAN games on school hardware.  B))

319181[/snapback]

Must be nice to leave your mark on the world. :)

Must be nice to leave your mark on the world. :)

319185[/snapback]

The bad thing was that it was an art college and people needed those computers to do their work... yup... we where those a-holes. Heck, two of us didn't even use computers for schoolwork back then (myself being one of them).

Wasn't the first time and won't be the last time they found someone dead at an Internet Cafe because of game addiction. I remember reading 2 similar cases in HK and Taiwan a few years ago.

Usually the deceased already had pre-existing condition though, the game wasn't 100% responsible for the death.

All things in moderation... reminds me of girl I dated. She said her ex would rather play games instead of having sex with her.   :o  :huh: Now that was a moron.

319144[/snapback]

Maybe he thought she was bad in bed?

319178[/snapback]

That's just a ploy to get a girl to want you more...I'll bet anything that she was CRAZY for him...

Never understood this addiction that many people have to console and computer games. Sure, I like playing games now and then and own several consoles, but even with a game I really like, I wouldn't play more than a couple of hours a day maximum and perhaps for only 2 to 3 days a week. No way I'd play everyday, all day. That's crazy.

There's so much more to do in life, than just sitting in front of a screen and pressing buttons. People needed to get off their asses more and go out and do some sort of activity that preferably involves either fitness or learning and entails actual face to face interaction with other real people.

Maybe I'm just getting old, but I'd much rather catch a movie with friends or have a nice romatic dinner with the wife, go hiking, swimiming, practice my martial art or heck even just read a book most of the time than play a game. Again I don't dislike games, but they are far down on my list of things I'd choose to do most of the time, unless I'm in a rare gaming mood.

Perhaps consoles or PCs should be built with a cut-off function so that say after 3-4 hours of play time, they automatically switch off the game for the next 12 or 24 hours, but leave other functions running (in the case of computers).

Graham

Guest Bromgrev

I mean, internet gaming, come on! Who's gonna forget to eat in an internet cafe, with all those coffee and danish fumes? Now, I remember more than one occasion when I had to slowly get to my feet and make my way to the kitchen to eat before I passed out. But that was building models, not playing a mere game! B))

This and all the previous cases are doubtlessly pure journalism (i.e. fiction). Reminds me of the good old days when mothers blamed every maladjusted teenager's death on Dungeons & Dragons.

Man, college were my crazy addiction years... recreational substances, games, pizza and coke, more recreational substances, more games... we lived on 4 hours of sleep during weekends, all the rest were marathons of SC & CS...

Somewhere in there it all started getting boring... right about when Warcraft III came out, and I rediscovered the joys of interaction with real people, reading a book, etc..

Well, now I work, and like ogami, sleep is far more important than OMGWTFPWNZ-ing other people.

Addendum: and seriously, games over SEX?? :blink: man that guy has serious issues... my gf was part of the reason for my cutting back on games :lol: At the very least, do like my frat bro did in college, both at the same time B))

Edited by Akilae

I mean, internet gaming, come on! Who's gonna forget to eat in an internet cafe, with all those coffee and danish fumes? Now, I remember more than one occasion when I had to slowly get to my feet and make my way to the kitchen to eat before I passed out. But that was building models, not playing a mere game!  B))

This and all the previous cases are doubtlessly pure journalism (i.e. fiction). Reminds me of the good old days when mothers blamed every maladjusted teenager's death on Dungeons & Dragons.

319361[/snapback]

wait till D&D online goes into open beta and you might get that again unless your one of the ones that got chosen for alpha testing.