Yamato 1/2000 & 1/3000 DYRL SDF-1

Jefuemon

I kind of wanted to see the transformation sequence, but after the first two pages, I think I might die of old age first. "Start to rotate piece. Rotate it more. More. More. More! Then stop. Then do the exact same thing to the identical piece on the other side---but photograph it just as thoroughly. Then take multiple photos of different angles, showing this single piece (and its twin) in the new position relative to all other pieces. Then go to the next piece".

There's a video at the end of page 8...

and it's BEEYOOTEEFOOL!

Seems surprisingly floppy. Every time he moves something in the transformation video the whole thing fribbles and frobbles like it's going to collapse into a heap. Can't say I'm overly impressed. The transformation looks fun though.

I had my Takatoku and WHAM SDF-1s out for my review of the Macross Quarter and while the old SDF-1 is cool it's not cool enough to warrant a re-release IMHO (and I understand the tooling for it was ruined long ago). Having the WHAM next to the old classic kind of gives you a good indication of just how cool a modern SDF-1 interpretation could be. It's too bad Yamato got so carried away.

Totally agree. I think it was cool back in the day. Compared to today's 'standard', the thing seems very Fisher Pricey.

Give me a Yamato about the size of a 1/48 Valk and I'm happy.

I wasn't going to watch the transformation, because I'll never own one anyway, but I love all the CLICKs and SNAPs. I can't understand how Yamato can leave things as they are and not trying to find the way of mass produce this. I mean, how is this toy more complex to mass produce than the old AT-AT? That was a huge toy too (not to mention the new AT-AT which is even bigger), with lots of clicking joints and durable as hell without the use of fancy automotive industry materials.

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I still don't buy Yamato's technical reasons to make this a Japanese yuppies only item. Moreover, I bet that when Yamato run out of Macross toys to make money they'll just go ahead and mass produce this.

Edited by Lonely Soldier Boy

They are, but in a smaller scale. at their open house day at the showroom they had people fill out suggestion forms for what they wanted to have made. for the SDF-1, 1/3000 scale was the most likely

I wasn't going to watch the transformation, because I'll never own one anyway, but I love all the CLICKs and SNAPs. I can't understand how Yamato can leave things as they are and not trying to find the way of mass produce this.

the floppyness in long parts is springy, the polyurethane is flexible unlike normal hard brittle resin. the joints are very solid though, tight and they are made of nylon so should last longer than plastic hinges. It is very impressive in person, highly recommend checking one out.

Seems surprisingly floppy. Every time he moves something in the transformation video the whole thing fribbles and frobbles like it's going to collapse into a heap. Can't say I'm overly impressed. The transformation looks fun though.

One last rant:

I have about 8 Yamato valks in my closet, and even those don't add up to $2K. In fact, doesn't even come close. Yeah, I know, the design/engineering is what I'm paying for.. blah blah blah... you mean to tell me that a few of these cost as much as a new car?

I just saw the youtube transformation... I say this puppy is worth about $500 the most (and that should be a for a version already assembled and painted).

But then again, I'm just super pissed I don't own, nor can I afford one! =)

p.s. what's with the guy in the video? I understand the white latex gloves, but it looks like he's wearing a full doctor's uniform as well! lol

Edited by fifbeat

Haven't seen the video yet, but from the looks of the pictures the gloves are actually the ones that came with the helmets. Seeing these pictures really makes me want to jump the gun on it, but i think I'll be content with this for now:

HPIM1405.jpg

Not a 1/2000 scale, but I can dream I guess. Plus the wife said no already. Maybe if i stopped buying 1/48 valks and just got one.. hell then again i started a new addiction non mac related. damn..

The Quarter was definitely made with battle mode in mind. Not a fan of the ship form. I've always thought people were exaggerating when they complained that the Macross looked the same in both modes, just laying down in ship mode, but it's definitely true of the Quarter.

Once again, tho, it's a cryin' shame that the Yamato Macross got shafted. Looking at the pictures, you can tell this is not a finished product. It's like they decided to pull the plug on the project, packaged up the few pieces they had done, and shipped them at a premium to ravenous fans.

The actual toy looks great. Just needs paint, and to be about $1500 dollars less expensive.

This photo montage is by far the most irrefutable example of the importance of the phrase "REPEAT FOR OTHER SIDE" I have ever seen.

It's definitely awesome to look at, but it also shows why I miss old fashioned film cameras at times.. you don't wind up with 20+ pictures of the box. The cost to develop that much film would have rivaled the cost of the subject of those photos. :p

I think it's a wonderful resource and you can check out any angle you want. I decided to download all the pictures into my harddrive instead and cut out all the ones I didn't want to look at. Took a couple of minutes to download though.

not even then, not for 2k. Maybe with a proper finish, paint, detailing and a proper display stand.

lol... for 2K... you're asking for... for...

actually, that should be a really nice toy.

aside from the macross collectors that kinda get screwed, the people that put that much engineering into the thing get screwed too, because even they couldn't afford their own copy.

OK......after watching that video...DAMN...that thing is HUGE!!!!! If it came painted, weathered and whatever else, I would drop the $$$ on it. Sorry....that thing is pretty darn EPIC. Under a nice acrylic case on top of a desk or table that would be a centerpiece of any collection! :ph34r:

Dayum! I almost pre-ejaculated after watching this vid!! I see lots of hate for this and I suspect its primarily due to the stick price which not all can afford to drop that kind of money anyways. I definitely love this SDF. The only thing I dislike is the lack of coloring.

Don't mind him...he's trying to involve other into his fetish for plastic objects. :wacko:

What is it with people with the screen name "Agent" and the need to sexualize weird things.

AgentOne: Door knobs

Agent-GHQ: the 1/2000 SDF-1

:huh:

Dayum! I almost pre-ejaculated after watching this vid!! I see lots of hate for this and I suspect its primarily due to the stick price which not all can afford to drop that kind of money anyways. I definitely love this SDF. The only thing I dislike is the lack of coloring.

It looks like a great mold! It's just that it doesn't look finished. The lack of paint is obvious, it looks like a half finished model kit. And not one of those pre-painted Bandai snap-together kits, either. And for that, the price tag hardly seems worth it. I don't hate the toy, I hate that they never actually finished it, and just released an incomplete product instead, at a steep premium price to boot.

If it were an actual, finished product, fully detailed and painted as much as any other Yamato release, I'd have pre-ordered it. I had $500 set aside specifically for this toy since shortly after it was announced.