Yamato 1/2000 & 1/3000 DYRL SDF-1

Jefuemon

I've been out of the loop for...oh, I think about a year or so, maybe only half a year...is this really that really super exciting Macross toy from Yamato we were all expecting to be around $500?

That makes me so sad. I had $500 put aside just for this thing. Over 2k just isn't reasonable. Did someone mention that it's not even perfect transformation? I'm a big fan of the DYRL style version, but the paint scheme here looks unfinished, even in the more detailed magazine scan photos. So, no perfect transformation (if I read that right) and unfinished paint scheme? I'd probably have reconsidered at $500 (Oh, who am I kidding, I'd have gotten it at that price, then complained a lot as I displayed it right in the centre of my collection, transforming it back and forth several times daily for a week, BUT YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN!).

So is that it? Are there any plans for a smaller version? Man, that's just depressing. I was really looking forward to this.

I'd be happy with a static cruiser-mode model. I bought the Quarter, and it has yet to be transformed!

Cool, I just won the 1/4000 Yellow Submarine DYRL SDF-1 on Ebay!

Pretty good price too considering the 1/5000 scale transforming toys for sale at close to $200!

Can't wait to get it and toss it together. It'll be a little out of scale compared to the Quarter,

but I can live with that. Besides, it'll quench my SDF-1 needs...!

• 3 weeks later...

After rewatching SDF Macross, I kinda wish Bandai would redo the TV Macross, even if just a re-release of the original Takatoku . I like it's design and colors much better than the DYRL and the size. Ideally, we'd see a new sculpt to the same scale, but even a straight re-release of the original would satisfy me. Wish I hadn't wrecked the Matchbox I picked up on Clearance at KB Toys as a kid.

After rewatching SDF Macross, I kinda wish Bandai would redo the TV Macross, even if just a re-release of the original Takatoku . I like it's design and colors much better than the DYRL and the size. Ideally, we'd see a new sculpt to the same scale, but even a straight re-release of the original would satisfy me. Wish I hadn't wrecked the Matchbox I picked up on Clearance at KB Toys as a kid.

Haha, KB Toy stores. I remember the at Northridge mall in 80's had a bunch of SDF-1's on Clearance and other goodies too!

Would be cool to see Bandai do a release of the 1/3000 old school version. Who knows, anything is possible.

I had my Takatoku and WHAM SDF-1s out for my review of the Macross Quarter and while the old SDF-1 is cool it's not cool enough to warrant a re-release IMHO (and I understand the tooling for it was ruined long ago). Having the WHAM next to the old classic kind of gives you a good indication of just how cool a modern SDF-1 interpretation could be. It's too bad Yamato got so carried away.

Doesn't have to be Yamato. Bandai could do a new 1/3000 SDF-1 just as well as rehashing the old. Imagine what we could see.... opening hangar door on the Daedalus with miniature destroids inside. Optional TV ARMD accessories. Opening panels to show the town inside? Lights and sound.

After getting my hands on Bandai's DX Quarter, I'd be perfectly happy with them announcing a DX SDF-1. Would be great to get a whole set. TV and movie versions. Battle 7, 13, Frontier, and Galaxy. I'd get them all. Except possibly the tv version SDF-1. Never liked it nearly as much as the movie version. I'm still up for a smaller Yamato SDF-1, if they release one in the $200-500 range. Tho, if it costs $500 it better put my DX Quarter to shame. That's a tall order.

If they can make evrything to scale (with the DX series of capitals, like the SDF-1 compared to the Quarter) NOW that would be awesome.

netherless f u ck the dyrl? for once, sick of it, give me TV series! I'm perfectly happy with my WAVE 1/5000.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

I don't see why they couldn't do both. It's not like fans of either have gotten all that much. A $2500 Yamato bank breaker only a tiny handful could possibly afford, and a tiny yet expensive Wave model.

• 1 month later...

"Back of the box. Front of the box. Side of the box. Other side of the box."

LOL! Took so long to load, I had to get something to eat, then come back 30 min. later.

Looks pretty cool. But for the price, that thing better be put together, painted 'n weathered and have no knurled pins! =) It's only a matter of time before they make a smaller scale version available to people who don't have $2K to spend on a toy.

I know, I know... prototype, but still.

* Re-reviewing it, it kind of looks like it has some kind of weathering effect on certain parts of the plastic, or is that what appears on that type of plastic?

Edited by fifbeat

I kind of wanted to see the transformation sequence, but after the first two pages, I think I might die of old age first. "Start to rotate piece. Rotate it more. More. More. More! Then stop. Then do the exact same thing to the identical piece on the other side---but photograph it just as thoroughly. Then take multiple photos of different angles, showing this single piece (and its twin) in the new position relative to all other pieces. Then go to the next piece".