Robotech Shadow Force

Does anyone have the tiny teaser pic of the Gamma fighter that RT.com released many, many moons ago?

gamma fighter? are you serious? there is a gamma fighter? UN spacy just runs out of names in the future so they just start naming all their planes after greek letters?

so sad.

I suppose everyone is just glossing over the fact that Robotech has been using "Shadow Fighters" and "Shadow cloaking devices" right from the original show, eh?

very good point!

here is a link for all those interested in learning about shadow technology:

http://www.kent.net/robotech/mecha/ref/shadow_fighter.shtml

hmmm... you're right... sounds much cooler now to know that HG is now ripping off gundam along with macross!

We need shadow force power now!

:ph34r:

Caption still says 2004, and they're running out of year fast. Considering the Dark Legioss were still easily enough taken out by ride armor, I'd hardly put much stock in centering a series around them, as the only thing they were good for to begin with was avoiding Inbit/Invid detection.

I can't wait to see how they screw up Hikaru's design this time though, the sentinels version was funny as it was.

Caption still says 2004, and they're running out of year fast. Considering the Dark Legioss were still easily enough taken out by ride armor, I'd hardly put much stock in centering a series around them, as the only thing they were good for to begin with was avoiding Inbit/Invid detection.

If I was pedantic, I'd point out Yellow/Lancer only took out Jagd/Shadow Drones, not actually piloted Dark Legioss/Shadow Fighters.

Thank god I'm not :)

At any rate, I see no problem with continued use of Shadow Fighters... as long as they don't extend it to everything (Shadow Cyclones! Shadow Destroids! Shadow SDF-5! Shadow VF-1!) and that it remains at the level of Mospeada/New Gen, just defeating sensors, not becoming an all-singing, all-dancing Star Trek style Cloaking System...

Cyc

well. as long as it's something new, I wouldn't mind watching it.

But after reading the discritions it sound kinda like Macross 7. I mean they can just change a bit here and there and it'll work. Instead of searching for a new liviable Planet, they now are in search for Admiral hunters missing fleet, and the new adversary threat is BLah blah balh and so on. Sound force = Shadow force? :(

Shadow.....kick!!!!! If you ever put the closed captions on while playing the US VHS version of the SF2 Animated movie....that's what the captions read whenever Ken or Ryu perform a Hadoken or Shoryuken. How lame sounding is that. Especially the way it was spaced out to match the voice acting....Shadooooow....Kick!!" :p

Sorry, the Name just reminded me of that is all...Shadow Force. Maybe Shadow Squad would have been a bit less cheesy sounding. Then again, we're used to it but Sound Force in english would sound cheesy too.

Edited by Gaijin

I'm not keen on the name, and I'm kinda hoping that someone at Tatsunoko is doing the actual writing so it can better be turned into a MOSPEADA sequel, but I must say I'm interested. I'm not expecting any of the Macross Saga characters to show up, or if they do it will be with very different looking character designs, given the Tokyo Circuit Court's ruling on the ownership of the SDF Macross designs.

I'm hoping Toynami's prices drop for their transformable toys, then I'll probably be interested in picking up merchandise for the new show.

I'd actually like to see some MOSPEADA ship designs in toy or model kit form.

I can't wait to see how they screw up Hikaru's design this time though, the sentinels version was funny as it was.

Probably in all likelihood he will look something akin to Gloval. I believe I've heard that the SC-style uniform was retained as an interim uniform...but probably only for the SDF-3 crew. There is also the formal uniform that Wolfe wears in his flashback as well as the uniform of Major Carpenter and the crew of the UES Hannibal. The Mars Division uniform doesn't lend itself well without something like a leather jacket to put all your ribbons/medals on.

So...he'll probably have grey hair...and maybe a moustache. ;)

I am going to wait and see....I dont really enjoy the name and I would hope that they would not aim this at the "kiddie" level, but rather at the level their fanbase is at now.....approching 30 or more.

Twich

I'm curious about the year it takes place in. "2044-" Macross 7 took place in 2045. I wonder if Max and Milia appear are they going to them look different.

Let me guess....on their way to explore the galaxy they encounter a mysterious force that uses VF-like weapons against them. These ships look strangely like the Gamma fighter (which happens to look like a VF-14/Fz-109).

I'm not keen on the name, and I'm kinda hoping that someone at Tatsunoko is doing the actual writing so it can better be turned into a MOSPEADA sequel, but I must say I'm interested.

I'm not. I don't want F'ed up sequals like so many other series have. Leave Mospeada alone.

As for the Robotech thing. All this judgement from little source to go on........ Maybe they will finally tie Orguss into it........ :p Who knows at this point.......... I will probably check it out. I won't get all riled up about it since the show is not my cup of tea.

Shadow technology? What is this, Robotech Vs. Babylon 5?

I was thinking the same thing. God, I'd love to hear good ole JMS on this issue. He never met a challenge to his rights that he didn't love :)

I suppose everyone is just glossing over the fact that Robotech has been using "Shadow Fighters" and "Shadow cloaking devices" right from the original show, eh?

My understanding was that the Shadow Fighter was a Robotech RPG creation appearing in the Sentinels II book in 1987. Joe Michael Straczynski's work on Babylon 5 was created in 1986, so I assumed there was an issue. I don't ever recall seeing the shadow fighter in any episode, but after some research it does make a small appearance in episodes 84 and 85.

If I was pedantic, I'd point out Yellow/Lancer only took out Jagd/Shadow Drones, not actually piloted Dark Legioss/Shadow Fighters.

Thank god I'm not :)

At any rate, I see no problem with continued use of Shadow Fighters... as long as they don't extend it to everything (Shadow Cyclones! Shadow Destroids! Shadow SDF-5! Shadow VF-1!) and that it remains at the level of Mospeada/New Gen, just defeating sensors, not becoming an all-singing, all-dancing Star Trek style Cloaking System...

Cyc

SHADOW BREETAI HELMET!

Okay... no... if there's one thing I DON'T want to see it's another HG revision of our favorite zentradi with a plate in his head.

My understanding was that the Shadow Fighter was a Robotech RPG creation appearing in the Sentinels II book in 1987. Joe Michael Straczynski's work on Babylon 5 was created in 1986, so I assumed there was an issue. I don't ever recall seeing the shadow fighter in any episode, but after some research it does make a small appearance in episodes 84 and 85.

aka 1984.

Palladium didn't invent the Shadow Fighter, they merely invented a VF-1 sized Shadow Fighter called the Vindicator based on a 2 second animators mistake and gave it the Dark Legioss/Shadow Fighter look, while making the Jagd/Shadow Drone the Shadow Fighter.

And people wonder why this and the lack of Beta arm cannons made people mildly angry at PB :)

Cyc

Well Im glad their is finally gonna be some closure. While i do like the novels and End of the Circle had its funny points (planet that turns into the SDF-01), it was just too whacked out at times. I'm looking forward to this new series and hope this one doesnt fall short of expectations like RT II and I also hope this is totally 100% original, not stolen from another series. When RT was first made, that was the norm, now adays that is the exception and everytime it happens these days the new is FAR worse than the original, unlike RT which was at least adaquate.

As for the name yeah its hokey, but honestly, anime is fairly hokey, especially within the mecha genre. Time to see if RT can actually stand on its on two legs without the assist from Macross or any other series....

No planet turned into the SDF-01. Haydon turned out to be a artificial planet. The only real reference to the SDF-01 was when the original fold engines were found in N-space (the ones that disappeared after the macross fold).

The Gamma Fighter is supposed to be the replacement for the Alpha and Beta Fighters, not some enemy fighter. I for one like the naming scheme, and it is mirrored in real life. USAF fighters are named for birds of prey. (That's why the F-22 was changed from Lightening II to Raptor). Different USN ships are named for different things depending on class. USA tanks are named for famous mobile/tank commanders, their helicopters are named after Native American tribes. I could go one, but I think you get the point.

As others have mentioned, Shadow Fighters and Drones were extensively mentioned in the last episodes of Robotech. I recognize some of the cheesiness of Robotech, but I'm sooooooooooo sick of people knocking it when they obviously have no idea what they're talking about.

Robotech, but I'm sooooooooooo sick of people knocking it when they obviously have no idea what they're talking about.

Better get used to that here, pal, if you're gonna stick around for any length of time. Trust me on this.

I've been a member for years...I just don't post a lot. (Not to mention, everyone's account got reset).

Anyway, like I said, I don't post a lot. Only when the absurdity level has gotten ridiculously high...like now. People are criticizing something they know nothing about.

hmmm... you're right... sounds much cooler now to know that HG is now ripping off gundam along with macross!

And how, exactly, did Robotech rip off Gundam?

the m. particles (whatever) in gundam that block all targeting except visual which they use to justify flying aorund in space with laser swords.

Pretty much the same idea as shadow force: some new tech that blocks all sensors but LOS.

Robotech, but I'm sooooooooooo sick of people knocking it when they obviously have no idea what they're talking about.

Better get used to that here, pal, if you're gonna stick around for any length of time. Trust me on this.

I've been a member for years...I just don't post a lot. (Not to mention, everyone's account got reset).

Anyway, like I said, I don't post a lot. Only when the absurdity level has gotten ridiculously high...like now. People are criticizing something they know nothing about.

People are just having fun. Making jokes about Robotech always gets a laugh. When HG comes up from a name like Shadow Force its just begging for people to make some cracks at its expense. I think people here know that their comments and or criticisms are sometimes ridiculous. That's part of the fun. No one should honestly take these type of comments seriously. I doubt that the author's of them do.

On a side note I'm at point where I'm not as easily interested or entertained as was before from the usual debates (insightful ones or not). I really would rather see these debates among members who have been a active part of these messages boards and not those who wait a long time and only start to post again to set people straight.

This is a warning:

If I see anymore lurkers returning from the dead to set things straight out any time soon I'm going to straighten my foot out in their ass. This is not saying people can't try to straighten out things. It's saying that these people better not be those who weren't active.

Wow!

There are some people trying to have a decent discussion here. It is too bad their discussion is being turned to crap.

:blink:

As long as the series does not have mechs with guitars everything should be alright. Of course, no one will probably be a smoker in the show. Damn those people who made Playschool take the pipe accessory out of the Mr potato Head toy playset! How violent willl this show be? A movie I could see them going pretty far. I can't see a large theatrical release though. Maybe a select few theaters then a DVD. A show for TV will probably be real toned down and targeted torwards kids. They will probably go the Armada/Energon route with it. There s big money to be made off kids.

What'd be even funnier is if Harmony Gold re-dubbed that episode of Battlestar Galactica where Lloyd Bridges re-appears with his long lost ship and called THAT robotech shadow force :)

Heh, that would be pretty funny if M7 was just dubbed as Robotech 7 or something. :lol:

That would just be wrong. So awfully wrong.

Of course, they could name this foe after a Babylonian god....but that would be even worst.

The current plot to Shadow Force (if it even keeps that name) sounds like M7 and various other shows. Exploration force goes out into space in search of something only to encounter a mysterious foe. I'm sure I've heard that type of plot somewhere else. Why not have destroids that have heads and arms that can use beam rifles and shields. Then make them out of a extremely tough armor. then drop a 13-16 year-old pilot into the cockpit.

Heh, that would be pretty funny if M7 was just dubbed as Robotech 7 or something. :lol:

That would just be wrong. So awfully wrong.

Of course, they could name this foe after a Babylonian god....but that would be even worst.

The current plot to Shadow Force (if it even keeps that name) sounds like M7 and various other shows. Exploration force goes out into space in search of something only to encounter a mysterious foe. I'm sure I've heard that type of plot somewhere else...

hmmm, maybe you're onto something here... shadow force could actually be not the name of a new technology but of a new pop group that uses "spirit energy" released from their songs!

This "spirit energy" attacks the enemies ability to attack by destroying their ability to form and "chakra" a type of power that comes from extended use of protoculture.

We need shadow force power now!

I'm not exactly sure why everyone's so hung up with the "Shadow Technology" thing all of a sudden, even as corny a title as it makes.

Had folks bothered to be even vaguely informed, they could have taken issue with the Shadow technology thing some 20 years ago, when Robotech aired-- instead of acting as if it's a surprise and some big goofy corny thing now. It's always been a part in the Robotech continuity, not to mention being the stuff already present in Mospeada, taken and twisted a step further.

That's almost like making fun of Macross 7 now for having Music-Wins-All-Wars as a theme, and being shocked when it presents a goofy sounding idea, when that something's always been key to the series. Music in Macross? *gasp* No way! <_<

hmmm, maybe you're onto something here... shadow force could actually be not the name of a new technology but of a new pop group that uses "spirit energy" released from their songs!

This "spirit energy" attacks the enemies ability to attack by destroying their ability to form and "chakra" a type of power that comes from extended use of protoculture.

And that sounds as goofy and stupid as it did the first time around.

Why are we snickering at the idea of Robotech going kiddie fare, again? We had no problem with that sort of thing in Macross. :unsure:

-Al