🙏Please have GOOD lightsaber fights. Please have good lightsaber fights.🙏 

Wait.

🙏Please have PROPER lightsaber fights. Please have proper lightsaber fights.🙏

None of that Sequel-baseball-bat-swinging crap.

Hrm... I know I'm an outlier, but I've got mixed feelings about The Acolyte.

On the one hand, that Star Wars is putting some distance between its new stories and the so-called "Skywalker Saga" films feels like a very good idea indeed.  I feel like they could stand to go a bit farther out than 100 years, though.  Google tells me the Republic was around for approximately 25,000 years.  That's a lot of time to play around in, so it's slightly disappointing that The Acolyte is sticking close enough to the time of the films that the visual aesthetic doesn't seem to have changed any.  Mix it up a little, guys!

On the other hand, it's another bloody Jedi-centric story.  I know the Jedi are the main draw for a lot of Star Wars fans, but I've always found them less interesting than the normal people in the stories.  That feeling got a lot more pronounced in the wake of Rogue OneAndor, and The Mandalorian... all of which were able to explore much more of the Galaxy Far Far Away in a more nuanced way than the the Jedi-centric narratives with their moral absolutes.  There's so much more to explore in the setting beyond the laser sword antics of a pack of ascetic space monks.

38 minutes ago, Duke Togo said:

It's about time they moved away from the Skywalker era.

Apparently they have....but it would have required paying into all the books, comics, etc that deal with the "High Republic" era....

This new series seems to be a culmination of that "era"...so hopefully the series will stand on it's own without needing to know anything that happened in the previously released media...

40 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

On the one hand, that Star Wars is putting some distance between its new stories and the so-called "Skywalker Saga" films feels like a very good idea indeed.  I feel like they could stand to go a bit farther out than 100 years, though.  Google tells me the Republic was around for approximately 25,000 years.  That's a lot of time to play around in, so it's slightly disappointing that The Acolyte is sticking close enough to the time of the films that the visual aesthetic doesn't seem to have changed any.  Mix it up a little, guys!

On the other hand, it's another bloody Jedi-centric story.  I know the Jedi are the main draw for a lot of Star Wars fans, but I've always found them less interesting than the normal people in the stories.  That feeling got a lot more pronounced in the wake of Rogue OneAndor, and The Mandalorian... all of which were able to explore much more of the Galaxy Far Far Away in a more nuanced way than the the Jedi-centric narratives with their moral absolutes.  There's so much more to explore in the setting beyond the laser sword antics of a pack of ascetic space monks.

...and this is what happens when Disney Star Wars has built a terrible reputation of delivering a higher amount of bad shows than good ones...it's hard to get "hyped" anymore...

I will just take the wait and see route...with a big dose of low expectations...but won't outright proclaim a disaster based on just a single trailer....

And don't forget that Andor almost bored everyone into skipping the entire show completely before it started getting interesting after the 3rd episode or so...so the same may be in the cards for The Acolyte, which sounds to be setup like some space crime drama...

This is a good read. I especially liked the show runner talking about the Jedi being at the height of their powers in this era, and that they'd only pull out their lightsabers if they were really threatened. And really, not much can truly threaten them in this time period.

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2024/03/the-acolyte-leslye-headland-opens-up-about-the-series-following-trailer-debut.html

Edited by Duke Togo

6 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

...and this is what happens when Disney Star Wars has built a terrible reputation of delivering a higher amount of bad shows than good ones...it's hard to get "hyped" anymore...

's probably the case for a lot of Star Wars fans, though as a filthy filthy casual I didn't really find any of the shows I've seen so far to be out-and-out bad.  

There have definitely been a few stories that didn't need to be told - like The Book of Boba Fett or Obi-Wan Kenobi - but they weren't necessarily told poorly.

Disney Star Wars just needs to get away from fanservice as a plot device.  Putting 100 years between themselves and the other stories should help a little, but the Jedi are far and away the worst offenders.  There's a lot more to the Galaxy Far Far Away than the Jedi, and the Disney+ Star Wars shows made me want to see more of it without all the moralistic baggage the glowstick society brings wherever it goes.

6 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

And don't forget that Andor almost bored everyone into skipping the entire show completely before it started getting interesting after the 3rd episode or so...so the same may be in the cards for The Acolyte, which sounds to be setup like some space crime drama...

Indeed, I have not forgotten... but with a lightsaber on prominent display in the promotional material, it seems probable that this will be Jedi-heavy.

42 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

That would be nice, wouldn't it? First episode we get all the Jedi fight scenes out of the way with them getting killed off and the rest of the series is a gritty detective story.

Wonder if they will add any appearances of the characters that live for extended amounts of time like Yoda, Jabba...or that alien lady from the sequels?

Or Palpatine's Sith Master....Darth Plagueis?  We can find out why he was so wise....lol

I was ho-hum about it, but I like the look of it so far. As others. I do wish this was a lot further into the past, as there is a lot of history too get lost in, and also would not mind a story not tied to the later ones. Stand alone would be grat, but hey, Trinity is in it!:wub:

5 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

The problem with these prequels is also, that with a couple of hundred years between the Skywalker saga and any new iteration of Star Wars, this means Yoda is still around. Presumably on the Jedi Council too.

And didn’t Yoda state that there hasn’t been a Sith for over 1000 years in the prequels?

So why not put a new iteration before Yoda and before the Sith went into hiding? This just invites criticism that could have been easily avoided.

^^Pretty much this.

Kinda revealing your hand if it's a hundred years before the PT, but ALLEGEDLY no Sith for over 1000 years.

So what?  This Acolyte winds up killing a bunch of Jedi and gets away with it.  With no one else the wiser about it?

Or bad Sith person who "breaks good"?  So, can "technically" say that the Acolyte is NOT a Sith . . . from a certain point of view.

As always, let's see how the story pans out.

1 hour ago, Scyla said:

The problem with these prequels is also, that with a couple of hundred years between the Skywalker saga and any new iteration of Star Wars, this means Yoda is still around. Presumably on the Jedi Council too.

Oh, well... there's their easy fanservice.

1 hour ago, Scyla said:

And didn’t Yoda state that there hasn’t been a Sith for over 1000 years in the prequels?

Supposedly the Jedi believe the Sith have been extinct for over 1,000 years as of The Phantom Menace.

1 hour ago, Scyla said:

So why not put a new iteration before Yoda and before the Sith went into hiding? This just invites criticism that could have been easily avoided.

Sounds like it will, yeah... though admittedly just being a Star Wars title seems to invite INTENSE scrutiny and criticism.

31 minutes ago, Mog said:

So what?  This Acolyte winds up killing a bunch of Jedi and gets away with it.  With no one else the wiser about it?

Or bad Sith person who "breaks good"?  So, can "technically" say that the Acolyte is NOT a Sith . . . from a certain point of view.

Or maybe it's just a Jedi who goes bad without a Sith intervention?

IIRC the venn diagram of "dark Jedi" and "Sith" isn't a circle... or at least, so I have been told.

1 hour ago, Scyla said:

He said something to that effect but he was also flat out wrong.  Palpatine was right there under his nose long before and Palpatine's master was around before that...

I don't really give a good gosh darn what was established in the prequels. And I'd rather Star Wars productions ignored them instead of embraced then.

They want to retcon when Sith were last encountered, more power to them, I say. 👍

Oh, this is good news: apparently, The Acolyte was mostly shot "on location" and not in the Volume. They also are doing a lot of practical effects and puppet work.

Edited by Duke Togo

56 minutes ago, Duke Togo said:

Oh, this is good news: apparently, The Acolyte was mostly shot "on location" and not in the Volume. They also are doing a lot of practical effects and puppet work.

Hrm... the Andor route.

I hope this doesn't mean another 2-3 episodes of people dramatically walking from place to place before the plot starts so they can show off the sets. 🤣

3 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

"Someone is killing Jedi"

That'd be Disney.

Yes. :rofl:
Trailer looks good to me. Will be interesting to see the High Republic era. I expect a few cameo's, but hopefully this story doesn't get gobbled up by horrible writing. 

52 minutes ago, azrael said:

No one said this Dark Side-user was, specifically, a Sith.

Yeah, we have force users that don't get trained by the Jedi, Black Jedi, Gray Jedi, and maybe some Sith fan-boys/girls. Or, maybe at the end they'll say "Well, there was only one of 'em, so it couldn't have been a Sith" and just leave it open-ended to lots of groans. 

9 hours ago, jenius said:

Yeah, we have force users that don't get trained by the Jedi, Black Jedi, Gray Jedi, and maybe some Sith fan-boys/girls. Or, maybe at the end they'll say "Well, there was only one of 'em, so it couldn't have been a Sith" and just leave it open-ended to lots of groans. 

This gets big groans from me all the time. They got force users dressing up like either the Jedi or the Sith with lightsabers and they live by the code of these orders. Everything about them screams another Jedi or Sith who shouldn't be around during this part of the timeline. But it's okay because they haven't fully paid back their Jedi student loans. Meaning technically, they aren't a Jedi.