• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wait just a damn minute.  So there’s an Evil King Kong AND an Evil Godzilla?  All the long list of great monsters from the old movies and the best they could come up with is basically Garth Knight?  UGH.

I'm hyped to see it, and honestly, I like having Kong in these, it feels more like a kaiju superhero movie then a more somber, serious movie like Minus One. If you're going to be bombastic, stupid and over the top, go for it, include the monkey! I highly doubt Bandai will make a Shimo and/or Scar King, but it appears Hiya will, their Shimo looks really good!

Hiya Toys Shimo | Source: @Thiaguhfml (Twitter) by PAMDM on DeviantArt

I don't have super high hopes... I liked Godzilla and King of the Monsters, but I thought Kong: Skull Island was pretty mediocre and Godzilla vs Kong was trash.  But the Goji fan in me insists, and everyone's off tomorrow, so I'm thinking about taking the family to a matinee.

It's amazing how strong Godzilla and Kong Kong is as characters today. There has been more Monsterverse/Japan/anime films than STAR TREK and STAR WARS in the last ten years.

Also, most of the Godzilla/Monsterverse related movies are way better than the recent STAR TREK and STAR WARS (except Rogue One) movies imho too.

Good time to be a Godzilla fan!

Yeah Godzilla fans are eating good these days, I love these American Godzilla movies, they feel like Showa films but with insane budgets, I like both American and Japanese Godzilla. I like to think and feel, Minus One delivered, I also like kaiju action and giant monkey punching other giant monkey, Legendary Godzilla delivers. I'll be taking my cousin's various kids to see this next weekend, me and five damn children, whatever they're good kids, then Raising Canes afterward!

I'm debating going to see this, or waiting for it to hit streaming. I'll watch it at some point, just a question of where.

Edited by Duke Togo

4 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Also, most of the Godzilla/Monsterverse related movies are way better than the recent STAR TREK and STAR WARS (except Rogue One) movies imho too.

I’d actually watch the bad Star Wars sequels over American Godzilla. The American Godzilla films are really really bad💩

24 minutes ago, Duke Togo said:

I'm debating going to see this, or waiting for it to hit streaming. I'll watch it at some point, just a question of where.

As the resident lifelong Godzilla fan I would recommend seeing it in the theater, not because the film is good, but for the spectacle of it. Giant monsters fighting tends to loose a sense of scale on the small screen.

Just don't go into this expecting Godzilla Minus One or even the original in tone and expect something more along the lines of Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla, Gigan, or Megalon and you will be all set. 

That was a fun ride.  Went in with low expectations due to hating the G and K running together in the trailer.  

Godzilla was basically destruction incarnate again.    Which is a good thing.   Still not loving the pink hue but I understand why they did it.  

plus if you’ve watched the office.    Parkour!

My 8 yr old boys loved watching this on the big screen, although they did get scared by the Alien Romulus trailer.  Watching them during the big fight scenes reminded me of myself when I saw the classic kaiju movies of yore for the first time.  And that's enough for me to like this movie.

Ok, so my more spoiler-y thoughts:

Spoiler

-Don't ask me why, in a franchise where giant monsters clobbering each other in major metropolitan areas is the norm, but one of the things I hated about Godzilla Vs. Kong was the idea that some hollow Earth conspiracy theorist turned out to be right all along (what's next, it's a flat earth too?).  Godzilla X Kong doubles down on the hollow earth bull, and even brings back the podcast guy.  In fact, the main female character insists that she needs his help, brings him to a Monarch base, and lets him tag along with them when they an outpost in Hollow Earth... but as near as I can tell he didn't actually do jack except film himself and act scared when the scene called for comic relief.

-I like that Jia's part of the story, and that it turns out her lost Iwi tribe isn't related to Kong after all, but Mothra.

-Oh yeah, Mothra's back, and she's cool in it.  It's just too bad Jia or some other Iwi didn't sing to wake her up.

-The franchise seems really determined to make Kong the hero.  He gets easily double the screen time that Godzilla gets.  Godzilla is more like some kind of unstoppable, angry deity.  Don't get me wrong, I love that Godzilla is unquestionably the strongest Titan in the film, even giving an upgraded Kong another definitive butt-kicking before Mothra intervenes.  But Kong's the one that has the hero journey.  Kong's the one that discovers the area under Hollow Earth, he's the one that gets into a fight with some of the apes there, befriends an ape kid, challenges the apes' evil king, loses, then sets off to recruit Godzilla's aid.  And after it's all over Godzilla simply takes a nap, while Kong becomes the apes' new king.

-The fights are much better than Godzilla Vs. Kong.  Kong has a few fights where he kicks butt, so you know how serious it is when he loses his first fight with the Scar King.  Godzilla, meanwhile, absolutely wrecks a creature called Scylla in Rome and an a sea dragon called Tiamat in the Arctic ocean (they missed a beat not called Tiamat "Manda", unless Toho wouldn't let them) before Kong and Godzilla cross paths again.  And all of that is before Godzilla and Kong team up against the Scar King and the ice dragon.

So, yeah, like I said, I liked it better than Godzilla vs Kong.  The plot's still stupid, but not as stupid, or at least it leans into that stupidity as an excuse to have giant monsters fighting.  The handful of human characters seemed less annoying, and the fights were more frequent and better.  But I'm tired of Legendary using Godzilla's name to sell us Kong movies that happen to have Godzilla in them a little.

3 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Good knowing that Godzilla is doing great in the box office these past few months. Maybe the STAR WARS and STAR TREK folk will learn from this?? Nah!!! 🤣

They did. That’s how the Obi show started. Lots of idiotic characters no one cares about, stupid plot and hope everyone forgives the bad writing by having big fights here and there. Same basic formula 

First father & son movie day with GxK. The film was good and held my six year old son's attention which is a good thing. Godzilla: Minus One would not be for him, lol.

That being said I hope to see more Monsterverse films but ask they improve the story telling.