1 hour ago, azrael said:

That's a E-wing...pullin' more from the Zahn-books eh?

I think those were actually from the Dark Empire comics series, but Disney has never been shy about yanking things from the expanded universe when they can't come up with something better themselves. <_<  This is just closing the circle on the fact that they pulled the name of the manufacturer for the new sequel trilogy X-Wings (FreiTek) from those same comics featuring the manufacturers of the E-Wing.

It looks like they did tweak the ship though, since the original had a cannon where that droid was sitting, and that third upper cannon isn't in any of the pics that I've seen.  If I'm remembering correctly, the droid in the original was a unique astromech that was permanently mounted to the interior of the ship, though the image below seems like it would still be able to be removed.
ss(2023-07-13at12_00.53).jpg.ff390d4ff8d0994ec668376423199443.jpg

Edited by Chronocidal

After the X-Wing, the E-Wing is my favorite of the Star Wars fighters. Nice to see it brought to 'live action.'

And yes, uncanonizing the Extended Universe was clearly the wrong decision. They had a chance to make something good and lost it pretty quick.

1 hour ago, Thom said:

And yes, uncanonizing the Extended Universe was clearly the wrong decision. They had a chance to make something good and lost it pretty quick.

It was never actually "canon" to begin with, it was always secondary to the movies, and a few other things.  There was always a strange hierarchy of how canon certain things were considered, and I think official games game after the movies.. which got weird when a bunch of games started pulling things straight from the EU. :lol:  Biggest offender I remember was the first N64 Rogue Squadron game, since that had a few things pulled from that same Dark Empire comic series (the World Devastators, and the V-Wings).

Being honest though, I don't think they made the wrong decision writing something different for the sequels (or at least, not compared with any of the other wrong decisions that were made).  The EU had a good, long run of wildly varying quality, and there are certain beloved bits that people always wanted to see as movies, but I don't think the majority of the EU would work very well on film.  For instance, people would love to see a Thrawn "trilogy."  It's a nice thought, but I think there's more than three movies' worth of material in those books, and that's still ignoring all of the other Thrawn books that came later.

Bottom line.. if they were going to make the Thrawn books into movies, I don't think they would have satisfied fans of the EU anyhow.  Going in a unique direction might have had a better chance of success, just because it would make it easier for casual fans to get into.

Sadly, we're past the point where they could have directly adapted the books, so whatever we get now is anyone's guess.

4 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

It was never actually "canon" to begin with, it was always secondary to the movies, and a few other things.  There was always a strange hierarchy of how canon certain things were considered, and I think official games game after the movies.. which got weird when a bunch of games started pulling things straight from the EU. :lol:  Biggest offender I remember was the first N64 Rogue Squadron game, since that had a few things pulled from that same Dark Empire comic series (the World Devastators, and the V-Wings).

Being honest though, I don't think they made the wrong decision writing something different for the sequels (or at least, not compared with any of the other wrong decisions that were made).  The EU had a good, long run of wildly varying quality, and there are certain beloved bits that people always wanted to see as movies, but I don't think the majority of the EU would work very well on film.  For instance, people would love to see a Thrawn "trilogy."  It's a nice thought, but I think there's more than three movies' worth of material in those books, and that's still ignoring all of the other Thrawn books that came later.

Bottom line.. if they were going to make the Thrawn books into movies, I don't think they would have satisfied fans of the EU anyhow.  Going in a unique direction might have had a better chance of success, just because it would make it easier for casual fans to get into.

Sadly, we're past the point where they could have directly adapted the books, so whatever we get now is anyone's guess.

Actually canon or not, it was first and would have served as a better framework than no framework at all. That they pull from the defunct EU shows that they know it on some level.

But, that is all old old, old news.;)

Edited by Thom

Yeah, Lucasfilm (KK) summarily decided to ditch all the EU immediately after the Disney purchase because they (she) wanted to do their (her) own thing -- "The Force is Female" -- without being bound by ANY of the extensive lore in the books, etc.  Too bad for Lucasfilm under KK's handling and meddling and Disney's inability/unwillingness to keep her honest, they did not have the imagination, creativity, planning, or writing talent to pull it off... with the exception of a precious few bright spots, an entire decade wasted and a decimated franchise.

1 hour ago, mechaninac said:

Yeah, Lucasfilm (KK) summarily decided to ditch all the EU immediately after the Disney purchase because they (she) wanted to do their (her) own thing -- "The Force is Female" -- without being bound by ANY of the extensive lore in the books, etc.  Too bad for Lucasfilm under KK's handling and meddling and Disney's inability/unwillingness to keep her honest, they did not have the imagination, creativity, planning, or writing talent to pull it off... with the exception of a precious few bright spots, an entire decade wasted and a decimated franchise.

They had planning, that of staffing too many contemporary ideologies along with memberberries bait in an overcooked lasagna. 

We all remember this taken from their behind the scenes...

CDN media

I've yet to encounter a SW majority that wished for 'Dinosaurs'. 🙄 (Still cannot find any official survey or poll about this)

Oh, and Star Wars "not pro-war"? 🤣

And they really nailed "Relatable characters" and "Complicated monsters". 🤣

Edited by Raikkonen

On 4/7/2023 at 7:46 AM, Tking22 said:

Ahsoka looks fantastic, I don't mind Filoni's stuff bleeding into everything Disney is doing with Star Wars these days, his work has been some of the only good Star Wars content Disney has put out since buying it up. 

Just hope Kennedy doesn't destroy it. Like what she did to the sequels.

1 hour ago, Raikkonen said:

They had planning, that of staffing too many contemporary ideologies along with memberberries bait in an overcooked lasagna. 

CDN media

I've yet to encounter a SW majority that wished for 'Dinosaurs'. 🙄 (Still cannot find any official survey or poll about this)

In fairness, I could have swore this was for that “High Republic” book series, and NOT for the whole TV/film franchise.

15 minutes ago, Mog said:

In fairness, I could have swore this was for that “High Republic” book series, and NOT for the whole TV/film franchise.

Maybe you right. I never said it's for Ahsoka or a show directly. Used it as an example how things are likely planned there. 

2 hours ago, Raikkonen said:

CDN media

Yes, I remember that little gem... the blueprint, in whiteboard form, for a franchise's utter destruction.  It also reeks of using that which better people created as a therapy session for adult toddlers with axes to grind.

What I meant by lack of planning is related to how their preeminent product, the KK self-insert girl-boss sequel, was handled... a rudderless mess devoid of connectivity where they actually admitted they had no overarching plot for any of it, and were making $h!t up from film to film.  George Lucas had treatments for both of his trilogies, where they started, basic character beats, where they ended, and even provided Disney with his outlines for a sequel which Iger reneged on utilizing, handing the unfettered reigns to KK, because he trusted her (of course, foolishly, so did Lucas) to produce brilliance in pursuit of the "MODERN AUDIENCES before the pithy term was coined."

Going back to Asoka, going by the trailer alone, it is abundantly apparent -- I'd like to be wrong -- that the show has all the hallmarks of KK's Girl-Boss Force is Female overused bankrupt trope; heck, it reeks of being the crescendo of it.

1 hour ago, Mog said:

It is. 

https://boundingintocomics.com/2020/02/25/new-star-wars-high-republic-initiative-puts-focus-on-diversity-and-representation/amp/

A white board is just for brain storming creative ideas. It allows for no-holds barred creativity and although interesting to see if you are keen to learn about writing, isn’t indicative of the final result. Please don’t let the board trolls turn this sideways and get another thread locked.

Edited by technoblue

As long as Ahsoka is true to the characters and shows growth from who they were previously, I’m good.

It’s Filoni’s pet cat characters, so his track record has shown more good than dog-crap.

37 minutes ago, technoblue said:

It is. 

https://boundingintocomics.com/2020/02/25/new-star-wars-high-republic-initiative-puts-focus-on-diversity-and-representation/amp/

A white board is just for brain storming creative ideas. It allows for no-holds barred creativity and although interesting to see if you are keen to learn about writing, isn’t indicative of the final result. Please don’t let the board trolls turn this sideways and get another thread locked.

They of SW team threw those headings on that white board as starting points. They did it, not the fans. It went public, and people have the right to comment whatever within civil lines about it.

And considering how most of the SW projects have most of the headings on that whiteboard, it's indicative that these are their constantly used starting points. 

5 hours ago, Swann said:

Just hope Kennedy doesn't destroy it. Like what she did to the sequels.

Why does nobody blame JJ Abrams? The guy is a total hack. Is it just "go up the chain to the first woman you find?" 🤣

Do you guys even know what a movie producers job is?

Edited by danth

10 minutes ago, danth said:

Why does nobody blame JJ Abrams? The guy is a total hack. Is it just "go up the chain to the first woman you find?" 🤣

Do you guys even know what a movie producers job is?

JJ Abrams was an unwitting accomplice and not entirely his fault, It's still all on KK and to that affect damaged STAR TREK too. I'll explain why...

In the below interview from 2013 JJ explains he originally turned down directing Star Wars so he could concentrate on Star Trek. The first Star Trek reboot film was great imho. However f'ing KK "called again" to JJ and I suspect she offered a mega-yacht worth of money to direct TFA. JJ shouldn't have done both properties so that lowered the quality of Star Trek and Star Wars films.

F'ing greed!!

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2013/04/jj-abrams-interview-with-playboy.html

ABRAMS: I mean, I get it. The worlds are vastly different. Honestly, that was why I passed on Star Wars to begin with. I couldn’t imagine doing both. But when I said that my loyalty was to Star Trek I was literally working on finishing this cut. I couldn’t even entertain another thought. It was like being on the most beautiful beach in the world and someone saying, “There’s this amazing mountain over here. Come take a look.” I couldn’t balance the two, so I passed on Star Wars.

PLAYBOY: What happened between saying no and saying yes?

ABRAMS: It was a wild time. I was near the light at the end of the tunnel with my work on Star Trek. I felt I needed a bit of a breather, actually. But then Kathleen Kennedy [the new Lucasfilm head who oversees Star Wars] called again. I’ve known her for years. We had a great conversation, and the idea of working with her on this suddenly went from being theoretical and easy to deny to being a real, tangible, thrilling possibility. In the end it was my wife, Katie, who said if it was something that really interested me, I had to consider it.

And therein lies the problem:  the sequel trilogy wasn’t really mapped out.

With Ahsoka, the roadmap is kinda sorta there.  Rebel’s finale and last episodes showed where the story can go.  

Thrawn is coming back after being “forced” (heh) into exile.

Hera’s been with the Rebellion almost since the beginning, and she’s probably gained a streak a independence after everything that went down in Rebels.

Sabine feels obligated to find Ezra.

The beats are there for them to develop and follow through on.

24 minutes ago, Thom said:

Though I am in agreement with you, maybe we should tone this back just a bit?

I mean I did censor myself. 😁

But I am actually going to tone it back 100% because I tire of this thread. Have fun!

Assuming Ahsoka brings the concept of the world between worlds into live-action....imo, this is what will make or break the show....sure, it has been introduced in Rebels already, but let's face it....that show is mainly catering to the Star Wars hard-core fans...if the casual Star Wars fan or SW fans that don't pay attention to the "cartoons" can buy into this concept....I think Star Wars can finally move on from the Skywalker Saga into new uncharted concepts and storylines....if casual fans reject it as nonsense....it's back to the "whiteboard"....

7 hours ago, Roy Focker said:

Shut up already with the sexist vomit you're all repeating from your favorite YouTube man child reviewers.

MOD WARNING
Since some of you didn't get Roy's hint, you get a vacation from the board instead of the thread getting vacation from you kids.

59 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Assuming Ahsoka brings the concept of the world between worlds into live-action....imo, this is what will make or break the show....sure, it has been introduced in Rebels already, but let's face it....that show is mainly catering to the Star Wars hard-core fans...if the casual Star Wars fan or SW fans that don't pay attention to the "cartoons" can buy into this concept....I think Star Wars can finally move on from the Skywalker Saga into new uncharted concepts and storylines....if casual fans reject it as nonsense....it's back to the "whiteboard"....

I never pay attention to the cartoons or think of them as cannon JV.

1 hour ago, jvmacross said:

That world between worlds thing (and the ability to "time travel" in it is one of the worst things the show added.  That kind of thing has to be done VERY carefully or it ruins everything.  In Rebels it was kind of added and forgotten about too.  Plus it was near the end of the Rebels run so no time to really have the implications of it play out.

6 hours ago, Dynaman said:

That world between worlds thing (and the ability to "time travel" in it is one of the worst things the show added.  That kind of thing has to be done VERY carefully or it ruins everything.  In Rebels it was kind of added and forgotten about too.  Plus it was near the end of the Rebels run so no time to really have the implications of it play out.

Yeah...I never thought of "time travel" being a Star Wars thing.....but then again, I never thought it would be an Indiana Jones thing either....as you have noted for Star Wars, "time travel" is one of the worst things they added to the Indiana Jones IP too...:rolleyes:  I guess "time travel" is hot right now! :lol: