Bandai VF-31AX Kairos Plus - Hayate Type

jvmacross

Random question: Is there any configuration that the super pack can fit together with the super ghosts mounted, most importantly in fighter mode, through any arrangement with the hardpoints or wing folding contortions?

I'm unrealistically hoping the main boosters could somehow squeeze under the half folded wings. I don't have any super packss, but have the super ghosts. With them mounted under the wings, it does't seem like the wings can fold open to reveal the mid wing hard points to make that an option.

At some point, I'm gonna realize bandai won't make mirage's super pack, and then maybe grab a hayate's set to slap on her AX, so i can at least have a tri-colored franken plane like a few of the ultramans did lol

3 hours ago, PointBlankSniper said:

Random question: Is there any configuration that the super pack can fit together with the super ghosts mounted, most importantly in fighter mode, through any arrangement with the hardpoints or wing folding contortions?

I'm unrealistically hoping the main boosters could somehow squeeze under the half folded wings. I don't have any super packss, but have the super ghosts. With them mounted under the wings, it does't seem like the wings can fold open to reveal the mid wing hard points to make that an option.

At some point, I'm gonna realize bandai won't make mirage's super pack, and then maybe grab a hayate's set to slap on her AX, so i can at least have a tri-colored franken plane like a few of the ultramans did lol

I believe with the VF-31AX, the attachment point for both items is the wing-fold hidden hard point. So to answer you more directly, no. It would be one or the other.

Twich

7 hours ago, PointBlankSniper said:

Hmm........interesting question.

As Twitch mentioned. both the main boosters and Super Ghosts are supposed to attach to the hidden hard point where the wings fold, so you can attach one but not both at the same time.

However, I haven't checked if the main boosters can connect to the underwing hardpoints. I'll have to try. If yes, it may be possible to have the main boosters mounted under the wings and the Super Ghosts on the wing fold hard point. 

However, the main booster are pretty damn large, so even if they can plug into the under wing hardpoints, there may not be enough space for the main boosters when the wings are partially folded to attach the  Super Ghosts.

Perhaps there may a way to use the attachment pieces that came with the Lil Draken for the VF-31. Those attachment pieces provide additional hardpoints, but I don't know if they can be rigged somewhere on the 31AX wings.

33 minutes ago, MKT said:

Perhaps there may a way to use the attachment pieces that came with the Lil Draken for the VF-31. Those attachment pieces provide additional hardpoints, but I don't know if they can be rigged somewhere on the 31AX wings.

They cannot, they specifically fit over the joint between the wing, wingtip, and v-stab.

14 hours ago, Graham said:

Hmm........interesting question.

As Twitch mentioned. both the main boosters and Super Ghosts are supposed to attach to the hidden hard point where the wings fold, so you can attach one but not both at the same time.

However, I haven't checked if the main boosters can connect to the underwing hardpoints. I'll have to try. If yes, it may be possible to have the main boosters mounted under the wings and the Super Ghosts on the wing fold hard point. 

However, the main booster are pretty damn large, so even if they can plug into the under wing hardpoints, there may not be enough space for the main boosters when the wings are partially folded to attach the  Super Ghosts.

The AX super parts booster can definitely fit on underwing hardpoints. There are images and videos of people that have been throwing them on super siegfrieds to make double booster wing sandwiches.

To be clear, I have also tested the super ghosts on both under wing hardpoints as well. With some amount of wing folding gymnastics from the super ghosts, the whole valk remains on the default stand just fine. Mounting on he outer wing will inevitably cause droop though. In both cases, it doesn't seem to me that there is enough room to even partially fold the wings far enough reveal the hidden hardpoint, so even the ability to droop is limited lol. Maybe I somehow haven't contorted those joints to their maximum potential, but I don't think that is the case.

That last point you said is mainly what I'm asking about. Despite boosters being large, from what I can see from images, it is still significantly narrower the body of the super ghosts, so im hoping maybe theres a tiny chance it would leave enough wiggle room to half open the wings just enough to deploy the hidden hardpoints at an off angle.

Mulling on it some more, I realize there are also the super pack arm shields to consider, but thats a matter for after finding out if the big booster can fit lol.

I just had a quick look this morning, before heading off to work and it doesn't seem that there is enough room to fit the main boosters on the under-wing hard points, if you already have the Super Ghosts attached to the mid-wing  hard point.

Those Super Pack main boosters are pretty damn large.

Screenshot_20231005_084404_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231005_084413_Gallery.jpg

Thanks for the pics.

I tried rolling a super ghost plugged in the hardpoint on one wing upwards as far as they can go, and then outwards with the wingtip the same way, so everything is angled almost like how the lil drakens go on the siegfried. I looks like there is a very slim chance it may fit like that, but the weight of everything will probably press on the booster if it does work, since the joints don't hold in any way at that angle.

Edited by PointBlankSniper

All of this just makes me miss the older pack designs. :lol: I was never a real fan of having the boosters so high above the wing on the original VF-31 because it felt off-balance, but there's no denying those packs probably had the most solid attachment of any super pack in the history of the franchise.

9 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

All of this just makes me miss the older pack designs. :lol: I was never a real fan of having the boosters so high above the wing on the original VF-31 because it felt off-balance, but there's no denying those packs probably had the most solid attachment of any super pack in the history of the franchise.

Someone posted a pic of the 31AX boosters some pages back, mounted Lil-Draken style on the 31 Siegfried at the end of the wings. And I thought it looked more natural and infinitely better than the original booster on top of wings.

Edit: Found the post. Includes the booster sandwich pic.

Edited by MKT

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't really like the way these Ghosts were used for the 31AX, but as a standalone piece I pretty like it. Too bad it doesn't have any landing gears, so I pretend its wings+boosters can double up as one like many sci-fi ships do in movies.

VF-31AXGhostsQuarterviewNRM2-b2v1_1nt.jpg.08a2e44546f25ca77be7b48b2a2e891b.jpg

On 10/17/2023 at 4:03 AM, MKT said:

Didn't really like the way these Ghosts were used for the 31AX, but as a standalone piece I pretty like it. Too bad it doesn't have any landing gears, so I pretend its wings+boosters can double up as one like many sci-fi ships do in movies.

I wonder if this is how drones in real world will look once we hit the stars. 😅

I think some of us were a bit cynical when the Ghost was first shown to now have its own Super Parts, with its double-expanded parts stacking on top of the base VF-31AX. But having it in hand, the Super Parts do add quite a bit of fun. The key to me, is that these parts are visually well integrated to the base Ghost, maintaining nice sleekness, unlike most other super parts to the base VF.

For the moment I like to imagine the Ghost as a Fighter in a classic arcade/console shoot-em-up, and adding the individual parts in any or no particular order is akin to obtaining stage upgrades to your Fighter. SWooooshh! :lol:

31AXGhostPowerUpNRMb2nt.jpg.be0a03b2acfb543ed3b1d1e3c3d46657.jpg

On 10/17/2023 at 9:03 AM, MKT said:

I actually, love the way the Super Ghosts look on the VF-31AX in fighter mode.

To me it has quite an X-Wing vibe to it in Fighter mode.

I just wish the DX Super Ghost kit had included the double beam cannon from the Armoured Pack, to recreate the look from the final fight in the Zettai Live movie.

I don't really want to have to buy a second Armoured Pack just so I can have the beam cannon to attach to my VF-31AX with Super Ghosts.

2 hours ago, Graham said:

I actually, love the way the Super Ghosts look on the VF-31AX in fighter mode.

To me it has quite an X-Wing vibe to it in Fighter mode.

I haven't actually attach the Ghosts to the 31AX yet, and as it happens not infrequently, there's a possibility I will change my mind and come around to like it. :good:

But the real X-Wing vibe I want is from the SV-303 Vivasat. Come on Bandai, don't want to wait till Macross Delta 30th Anniversary for it. :p

So I got the reissue version and now I’m understanding what the fit issues are. Jebus…..  anyway been fiddling with it for a while and the only way I can get the legs/intake and cabin areas to seat properly is to have the head popped up and not flush. I can’t get the head to sit flush without pushing everything else down below. FrustratingIMG_2554.jpeg.797aecf1f5a4e9ee3f86158831a743ee.jpeg

IMG_2555.jpeg.328ee537655a24842d885fec4fe0e312.jpeg

Edited by sjoebarry

I'm still having quite a bit of fun with the Ghosts, way beyond I ever thought I would..

VF-31AXGhostsBNRM2-b2-NRM3v2nt.jpg.84ddea22a17d187bf801fc23562b177c.jpg

Whether it is with full Super Parts..

VF-31AXGhostsFrontNRM2-b2v1_1nt.jpg.76516745b6da38736e98b748dad60b04.jpg

or without.

VF-31AXGhostsBottomBNRMb2-2v4nt.jpg.593dd0e4a8e6f292ef84880cd6a538d7.jpg

I keep finding new ways to play or imagine. The lack of traditional cockpit, together with the design of its underside, actually makes the design pretty viable if the Ghost is flipped over. For example, taking the above pic & just rotating it upside down, makes me imagine it as a spacecraft on its gentry waiting to launch from the bay doors below..

VF-31AXGhostsBottomBNRMb2-2v1nt.jpg.8e02c235050cc97a93626607e23802a6.jpg

Or in this configuration, imagining it as a watercraft skimming along the surface on its booster pontoons.. ^_^

VF-31AXGhostsFlippedQuarterviewBNRMb2-2nt.jpg.e38e91ca23094dbda4f8a5c858c5ef1f.jpg

The lack of visible cockpit also means it's easier to imagine it as something of a very different scale.  Here it reminds me strongly of a capital ship from another sci-fi. Just needs a big saucer to attach overhead, and then it will be ready to go explore the final frontiers of space.  :p

VF-31AXGhostsSpaceBNRMb2-2v6_1nt.jpg.c2183ddea8404049e99817fbb1156510.jpg

Spoiler

Previous pic might be too dark for some folk's screens. Apologies if so, as I don't calibrate pics across different gamma settings. Here's a brighter one:

VF-31AXGhostsSpaceANRM2-b2v7nt.jpg.ec6b42e7a16254249e0efc9df8b34ba6.jpg

1 hour ago, MKT said:

I'm still having quite a bit of fun with the Ghosts, way beyond I ever thought I would..

or without.

I keep finding new ways to play or imagine. The lack of traditional cockpit, together with the design of its underside, actually makes the design pretty viable if the Ghost is flipped over. For example, taking the above pic & just rotating it upside down, makes me imagine it as a spacecraft on its gentry waiting to launch from the bay doors below..

Or in this configuration, imagining it as a watercraft skimming along the surface on its booster pontoons.. ^_^

VF-31AXGhostsFlippedQuarterviewBNRMb2-2nt.jpg.e38e91ca23094dbda4f8a5c858c5ef1f.jpg

The lack of visible cockpit also means it's easier to imagine it as something of a very different scale.  Here it reminds me strongly of a capital ship from another sci-fi. Just needs a big saucer to attach overhead, and then it will be ready to go explore the final frontiers of space.  :p

Hide contents

Previous pic might be too dark for some folk's screens. Apologies if so, as I don't calibrate pics across different gamma settings. Here's a brighter one:

I feel the same way, I had a good laugh when it came out, but when I have it in hand, it is quite fun (wished it hand landing gears of its own), different and even looks good attached to the VF-31.  Although the orange doesn't suit the blue, magenta or green schemes as well and seems to match the only one that hasn't been released yet?!?!  Can't wait for that release if it will ever happen.

2 hours ago, MKT said:

or without.

Hide contents

Cool pics as always dude! call it @MKT's compulsory beauty hangar shot.:crazy:

Awesome photos, @MKT.  

I bought a couple sets of these even though I refuse to buy a 31AX.  I do wish they had their won landing gear and I wish I could attach them to my Kairos but they're awesome stand-alone pieces.

12 hours ago, rematron said:

Awesome photos, @MKT.  

I bought a couple sets of these even though I refuse to buy a 31AX.  I do wish they had their won landing gear and I wish I could attach them to my Kairos but they're awesome stand-alone pieces.

Minor fitment issues on the DX toy aside, which are mostly on the underside of the wings (which I personally can live with), I love the VF-31AX DX series and have 5 so far and will buy the Arad and Chuck versions if Bandai make them.

The VF-31AX is probably my current favorite VF design and I'm a long time Macross fan and collector since 1982.

There's just something about the VF-31AX design that really speaks to me.

And it helps that I love the Zettai Live movie as well. For me it really helps redeem the Delta TV series,

Thanks for liking the pics guys.. the 31AX Ghosts are the most un-Macrossy item so far to me, based on the design & colors. Before this, I was pretty ambivalent on how the Lil Drakens turned out. Yes, they have landing gears, but the overall shape is just so... pudgy.

Anyone still hesitant to pick up a VF-31AX, well now is really a good time to get one, seeing as they are all still below retail especially Hayate's. The fit issues underneath isn't really that bad in overall scheme of things, especially when put against the other issue currently on another tread being the exploding elbows of the Yammie VF-19s. Yeah it may suck somewhat that a brand new toy isn't as perfect as one would like when receiving it, but I rather have this instead of a toy self-destructing many years down the road after the initial shine has worn off - worse so for those said old toy was a recent secondary market purchase.

Edited by MKT

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/23/2023 at 9:19 AM, MKT said:

or without.

Reveal hidden contents

Great shots @MKT, the last shot gives the impression that the ghost is much larger than it is. 

On 10/23/2023 at 9:41 AM, jenius said:

With the super parts on and the wings canted downward, it gives me a Klingon ship vibe.

I was thinking the same thing.

On 11/22/2023 at 4:58 AM, lechuck said:

So what is (if there is one) the general consensus regarding the WWM release of the VF-31AX – is it considered to be better one with less issues than the initial release?

@lechuck I have the initial release and WWM release, the WWM release does have some changes. The blue paint on the WWM is darker, and the joints appear to be a bit tighter but then again my initial release the joints may have loosened over time.  On the WWM release, I did notice that the knee/leg extension doesn't have a tight "lock" when extending and the arm cannons seem to align properly forward in fighter mode.

Edited by Saburo