1 hour ago, Dangard Ace said:

That said….mod hat on.   

Civil War movie is too easy to jump into it so keep the politics out.   You guys know the rules.

mod hat off.  

Keeping it light and making fun (of myself). Zero offense meant. :angel:

On 12/13/2023 at 9:53 PM, Dangard Ace said:

That said….mod hat on.   

Civil War movie is too easy to jump into it so keep the politics out.   You guys know the rules.

mod hat off.

That mod hat is going to get a lot of use in 2024 if upcoming movies like this are any indication...😆

Edited by renegadeleader1

So how best can I describe Zach Snyder's Rebel Moon?

This film is literally the equivalent of a 10 year old sitting in a sandbox alone smashing his GI Joe, Star Wars, Avatar, and Marvel figures together alongside a few 40k minis and some random anime figures he stole from his brother's shelf without permission in a reenactment of an old film his parents made him sit through that he couldn't sit still long enough to truly grasp.

2 hours ago, renegadeleader1 said:

This film is literally the equivalent of a 10 year old sitting in a sandbox alone smashing his GI Joe, Star Wars, Avatar, and Marvel figures together alongside a few 40k minis and some random anime figures he stole from his brother's shelf without permission in a reenactment of an old film his parents made him sit through that he couldn't sit still long enough to truly grasp.

LOL, pretty apt description. I was excited for this, but I found it a bit too boilerplate, derivative, and hokey. The scene where the dude has to tame Buckbeak just seemed downright pilfered. While I thought Sofia Boutella did a good job in her role, little development was given to the other fighters she's gathering to fight the Galactic Emp...erm, the Motherworld. The whole film is replete with cliche, overdone slow motion, and tropes we've seen again and again. No new ground is trodden here....

Spoiler

Well, the spider chick was kinda cool, but of course she's a baddy who has to be dispatched by Doona Bae's character, a cyborg dual sword wielder whose blades apparently heat up until they resemble wide-bladed lightsabers. How much cooler would it have been to have the spider chick be a good guy, or at least a grey character who at least has a conscience and no love for the Motherworld?  Ed Skrein, no stranger to playing stereotypical nasty bad guys, does what he does once more. He's despicable, but enjoyable to watch being so. There was, methinks, some foreshadowing by including the android, Jimmy, voiced by the venerable Anthony Hopkins, in some scenes where it's explained that his kind were once the King's bodyguards who laid down their arms when the princess was murdered along with her parents. I have a feeling the princess survived and the androids will rise up against the Regent who currently rules over the Motherworld and oppresses the galaxy. I guess we'll see in Part 2.

23 hours ago, renegadeleader1 said:

That’s kinda what I figured this would be. Snyder is very miss with a couple hits kinda guy. Most of his projects are meh at best and cringy bad like his dc stuff, so I really didn’t expect much out of this

Sat through Rebel Moon, I have to agree with many of the reviews & sentiments out there.

This is one the shows where the trailer is much better than the movie by a thousand times, and incidentally when I went back to rewatch the trailer, I realized about 1/3 of trailer scenes are not even in the movie? :unknw:

The whole show is like a bad meme of a whole lot other movies or media lol. Some are just too in-your-face that you wanna shout out "that's (so and so) from (insert-the-movie / game)". Why I say game is that there are 2 shots from the show that straight out reminds me of places & scenes from World of Warcraft (Blade's Edge Mountains for anyone who played back then).

The other thing that stood out at beginning, was when baddie Noble appeared, and he looks like a carbon copy of M.Bison. Not from the game, but Raul Julia's portrayal in that campy 90's Street Fighter movie :rofl:

Regarding Rebel Moon Part Deux, more of the same. The highly trained military fighter teaching a peaceful village how to fight in an expedited time frame to combat a superior military force trope is so overused. Sometimes it's done well, but I don't get that sense here, as everything seems rushed in these films. I get that it's the nature of film to often rush things b/c the production team is dealing with a very finite period in which to tell their story; however, given how rushed and shallow the first film was, I don't think there'll be much improvement on the second go. That said, I'll watch it, but not with the same expectation I had for the first.

I like the flying mech carriers and the mechs themselves; definitely vibes of the LAATs carrying the AT-TEs into battle in Attack of the Clones, one of only a few things I liked in that film. The LEGO set was pretty cool.

Finally got to see Lamb, a 2021 movie starring Noomi Rapace that looked weird and intriguing from trailers I saw in the theater. AFAIK, it never showed locally, and I've been waiting for it to show up on ShowTime or HBO during the holidays when we get it for free, but I've never seen it playing. However, Prime, to which I'm subscribed, finally got it and I was pretty excited to see it. Indeed, it was weird, a bit of a slow burn film, but well-acted considering the odd circumstances at the center of the film. It may not be for everyone, but I dug it.

I have to admit with REBEL MOON, I watched it with zero expectations and overall, it wasn't the worst thing ever. I tried to not to laugh when I saw Buckbeak's distant cousin make an appearance in the movie. 

Edited by 505thAirborne

4 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

I have to admit with REBEL MOON, I watch it zero expectations and overall, it wasn't the worst thing ever. I tried to not to laugh when I saw Buckbeak's distant cousin make an appearance in the movie. 

Right? I'll bet it even said a 'Buckbeak-like creature' in the script and the SFX folks were like F-it, we're not even gonna try to come up with something different. So blatant. The spider girl was done really well, though, and it's lamentable that more wasn't done with her- imagine how much more interesting she would have been as an allied fighter than Doona Bae's two-dimensional cyborg Jedi with a witch's hat. 

I got halfway through Rebel moon and fell asleep around the point where it was showing the little girl being guarded by the main character. So it’s not terrible or anything, but the slow mo is way way overdone and every time something starts to happen, the brakes are put on and it made me feel really tired. Like said above, the spider lady should have been a cool ally type character. I’ll try a finish this off tomorrow 

2 hours ago, Big s said:

I got halfway through Rebel moon and fell asleep around the point where it was showing the little girl being guarded by the main character. So it’s not terrible or anything, but the slow mo is way way overdone and every time something starts to happen, the brakes are put on and it made me feel really tired. Like said above, the spider lady should have been a cool ally type character. I’ll try a finish this off tomorrow 

Should there be a disclaimer that "Rebel Moon may cause drowsiness"? 🤣

19 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

Should there be a disclaimer that "Rebel Moon may cause drowsiness"? 🤣

It’s weird cause I almost never fall asleep during movies, especially action films, but something about that slow motion thing just made me drowsy. Like they found a way to make energetic action scenes slow and tedious. I think I’d be more awake if there was a cut of this film that had a continuous speed and it would probably cut thirty minutes from the run time. The story didn’t seem bad, mostly cliched and awkwardly rushed but not dull.

The slow-mo wasn't applied at appropriate moments too. They were there just to look cool for freeze frame shots, but narratively don't make much sense. Unless Snyder wanted to highlight how the goons ape Star Wars by catching copious amounts of Stormtrooper-litis in their aim. :p

7 hours ago, MKT said:

The slow-mo wasn't applied at appropriate moments too. They were there just to look cool for freeze frame shots, but narratively don't make much sense. Unless Snyder wanted to highlight how the goons ape Star Wars by catching copious amounts of Stormtrooper-litis in their aim. :p

I just finished it, and that really is my biggest complaint about the movie. It’s really way over used and like you said, not even appropriately. It’s like he rewatched 300 and remembered he had an idea people liked decades ago and forgot that people got tired of it pretty quickly. The movie had some great looking action sequences that would’ve been amazing at normal speed without the slowdown, but with it, it makes every battle tedious and I couldn’t wait for the action scenes to be done. 

Action scenes aside, I think I could have actually liked the movie for the most part, especially if they tweaked the story just a bit. Things are so cliche that they feel way too obvious as to what’s coming next and nothing is surprising, and some things are just disappointing.

It felt like everyone just joined up way too easily. like there’s a guy that everyone is warned won’t give them a chance to explain things and would just kill them if they tried, but after a quick nudge he’s their best buddy or something. There are also entire scenes that just seem to happen and you get the “we’re already there “ kinda feel. There’s also an extraordinary push for the “strong female character” thing with most of the male characters being evil or killed off easily or being useless or even though they have a lot of muscle they can’t throw a punch to save their lives or just getting molested. Honestly, that farmer should have just stayed home, there really was no reason for him to even go along he really added nothing and just gets in the way

Overall since it does do some things right and a few things wrong I think it’s worth a watch, especially if you already have Netflix and you don’t have to buy a ticket. It’s sort of a Warhammer 40k mixed with Star Wars kinda theme and those comparisons are extremely obvious. It at least is better than most of the newer Star Wars stuff