3 hours ago, sh9000 said:

I enjoyed it.

Also,

Yeah, there's some problems with that heavy spoilers video.

Spoiler

The nuke that hit L.A. wasn't fired by Nomad, as the film clearly states Nomad was built after the attack and is the only thing keeping the A.I in check and turning the tide on a war they were losing.

It's also hard to believe the AI are peaceful non violent when it's shown multiple times they're just as violent as humans and are perfectly fine killing them and murdering them throughout the film despite whatever Ken Watanabe's simulant said. Especially him as he was about to execute the main character prior to being interrupted by another Nomad attack on an AI base.

I did end up seeing The Creator last night on a whim. It's not a MAJOR cliche fest like I feared... but also, it kind of is? But also also, and I think more importantly, the movie doesn't know what it wants to be about. It's supposedly a movie about the struggle between humanity and AI, but it doesn't really know how to properly frame AI (in a speculative fiction way), so "AI" becomes functionally just another racial makeup of mankind... except when the movie remembers they're robots and treats them as such... but then it just as quickly forgets that in order to score cheap drama points.

That lack of focus paints much of the story as kind of an allegory for and condemnation of Bush-/Obama-(/Trump-/Biden-)era US imperialism, but that doesn't seem fully intentional. Again, it doesn't strongly commit to the idea just as it strongly doesn't commit to any other idea it's working with, so the allegory/criticism is surface-level at best.

All this, of course, set against the backdrop of it also wanting to be a Hollywood blockbuster, which I think is ultimately where the fault lies. It makes what I feel are too many sacrifices of narrative depth for the sake of hitting arbitrary "big-budget war epic" story beats. I had this issue with Rogue One, too - another Gareth Edwards joint - where they took what should have been a relatively small-scale story and unnecessarily blew it up into this big military operation to no real benefit.

I'm not saying it had to be Ghost in the Shell, or Blade Runner, or Ex Machina... but I AM saying it makes me want to watch those instead.

53 minutes ago, Thom said:

'Kid's' film...!? :o

I have been enjoying this movie for thirty years and it is the Halloween/Christmas crossover film! ;)

But oh damn... THIRTY years!!!:fool:

You can tell by all the aged goth mommies out there wearing the T-shirts and stickering up their cars with the plushies from the film around the dash and back windows of their cars

5 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Lots of movie trailers today. This one came out of nowhere but looks fun.

I kinda figured when an A-Team movie came out The Fall Guy would be soon to follow. I guess it took a little longer than I thought 

now we wait for Air Wolf the movie 

Edited by Big s

16 hours ago, Big s said:

I kinda figured when an A-Team movie came out The Fall Guy would be soon to follow. I guess it took a little longer than I thought 

now we wait for Air Wolf the movie 

It was called Blue Thunder.😜

Seriously though, that would (could) be pretty cool.

50 minutes ago, Thom said:

It was called Blue Thunder.😜

Seriously though, that would (could) be pretty cool.

Blue Thunder was pretty cool, but the theme music wasn’t nearly as epic. You gotta remember that the quality gauge of the 70’s and 80’s is one part cool concept, one part cool characters played by cool actors and one part cool vehicles and one part cool title and six parts cool music to get that perfect 10 score. 

2 hours ago, Big s said:

Blue Thunder was pretty cool, but the theme music wasn’t nearly as epic. You gotta remember that the quality gauge of the 70’s and 80’s is one part cool concept, one part cool characters played by cool actors and one part cool vehicles and one part cool title and six parts cool music to get that perfect 10 score. 

I love the math on that!