The 'Hey look at this really cool model build I saw' post

Shawn

On 3/9/2022 at 1:37 PM, Bolt said:

Nice !

Here's a Yukikaze/Macross combo i just saw on Pinterest. Couldn't figure out who did this, though.

https://pin.it/LvFDY4a

675B446A-B312-475B-A6B5-00D83F38BCA8.jpeg.ba059465c33de11211c454c7cecb2457.jpeg

I think that's the actual model featured on R-Area Vol. 13 Magazine. @jvmacross posted that in the Macross Book thread.

Here's some photos he shared from that thread. I gotta say, Yukikaze Mave from that get-go should have a robot mode. ;) 

large.20211015_135115.jpg.bea229859ee965

large.20211015_135104.jpg.79012ac02a4337

large.20211015_135055.jpg.668ea57ee08e11

large.20211015_135045.jpg.8f1a8b5ad8614f

large.20211015_135041.jpg.078122bcfebdfb

large.20211015_135002.jpg.e3a1a01d833a06

large.20211015_134941.jpg.b141a5eb319055

On 2/12/2022 at 10:58 PM, Shawn said:

Clean 1/48 build, but the highlight to me are the special 'missiles'  😛

I'm getting a weird vibe-like this has been in a magazine before? Memory not like it used to be..

I missed this one. A really fun idea.  And the guy really thought it through: Notice that the missile placements are empty.

On 3/14/2022 at 8:36 AM, Convectuoso said:

Impressive!

Don't "woosh" your models around the room when you can make them fly on the computer😄 Great build and diorama (they're coming after Arbit's build). - MT

On 3/20/2022 at 11:09 PM, no3Ljm said:

And it has a pilot too. Looks awesome! :good: 

FOQoNyzakAAyW3H.jpeg.8ebf50520d365ec1152b0e702dcb25fd.jpeg

For those of you who don't like to paint, this is always an option! This is a COOL idea!!! - MT

Wow....
So at what point in our lives did we just say 'oh heck...I can make that rea-life kit look exactly like a painting'? Or a cel?
I mean how did we all collectively just level up from 'weathered' to this all of a sudden?

I find it absolutely insane.

14 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Wow....
So at what point in our lives did we just say 'oh heck...I can make that rea-life kit look exactly like a painting'? Or a cel?
I mean how did we all collectively just level up from 'weathered' to this all of a sudden?

I feel like it kinda started with the gamers trying to make the minis look like the painted cover art, then the anime fans with their resin figure kits and things went all kinds of wild from there. I feel like whatever anyone wants to do they will find a way to turn a basic kit into a work of art

2 hours ago, Shawn said:

Wow....

It started with three words:

"Hold my beer..." :p

11 hours ago, Shawn said:

I've wondered the same thing. I've come up with several ideas:

Advances in quality of hobby supplies and paints increase painting quality for everyone, even total nubes.

Youtube and other online tutorials spreading knowledge. 

Cross influences from different types of hobbies, electronics, and art into scale models.

All types of people and personalities get into scale modeling, not just the sci-fi or military fans.

And now with 3D Printing, the future will knock our socks off even more.

18 hours ago, arbit said:

I've wondered the same thing. I've come up with several ideas:

Advances in quality of hobby supplies and paints increase painting quality for everyone, even total nubes.

Youtube and other online tutorials spreading knowledge. 

Cross influences from different types of hobbies, electronics, and art into scale models.

All types of people and personalities get into scale modeling, not just the sci-fi or military fans.

And now with 3D Printing, the future will knock our socks off even more.

The 3D printing is definitely getting better. It’s getting to the point where the layer lines are getting harder to see year by year. We may just be all downloading kits in 20 years rather than buying straight from the hobby companies. Things like colored and even moving parts are happening as well. Maybe they’ll even have a simple inexpensive way to program painting the full kit one day down the line. Just program a simple weathering or complex cell shading or maybe even intricate graphics to the model. Until then just gotta get your hands dirty

9 hours ago, Big s said:

The 3D printing is definitely getting better. It’s getting to the point where the layer lines are getting harder to see year by year. We may just be all downloading kits in 20 years rather than buying straight from the hobby companies. Things like colored and even moving parts are happening as well. Maybe they’ll even have a simple inexpensive way to program painting the full kit one day down the line. Just program a simple weathering or complex cell shading or maybe even intricate graphics to the model. Until then just gotta get your hands dirty

I can't see any layer lines when I use my high resolution resin printer (Elegoo Saturn), and it can print really fine detail. Parts look like they've been casted. The printer can also crank out a lot of parts, fast. The downside is all of the prep work and cleanup that resin printing requires. I've printed several really large, complex kits recently, and they were a mix of filament (PLA) printing for large pieces like wings and structural components and resin for the smaller and more intricate pieces. When the kits are designed well, the results are really nice. You do see faint thin lines on filament pieces, but those can be sanded out.