Ep 7 "Those Old Scientists" dropped early. SSDC folks got to watch it at the convention. It was hilarious. 🤣

Spoiler

Mental warning: Consumption of Orion Delaq may cause psychedelic and hallucinogenic side effects. Caution is advised. Drink responsibly. Effects may be compounded with other alcoholic beverages.

Also

Spoiler

Gotta live the fanboying & fangirling Pike's command crew did with Archer's crew and ship the way the Lower Decks cast does. Ah the parallels and the memories. :rofl:

Looking forward to the musical episode... it kind of reminds me of an old novel from the TOS era How Much for Just The Planet?.  

Of course, that story had the planet of the week putting on impromptu musical numbers just to mess with the visiting Federation and Klingon delegations.

Loved the Lower Decks episode but I am dreading the musical episode. I have yet to see ANY regular show that did the “musical” episode well for me. It’s always so out of place and I end up avoiding/skipping said episodes on rewatches.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Leave'm wanting more! Already up to 10 and I am sad. Five more episodes per season, just five more! 

Anyway, I watched 'Under the Cloak...' and 'Rhapsody' as a double feature, and really enjoyed both ends of the dramatic/whimsical spectrum that was displayed. This crew really can handle it all! Seeing the musical numbers was like watching one of those movies from the 30s and 40s, and I really liked the explanation for it. I also liked how the Klingons felt dishonored by singing their feelings. Thinking about it, I'm surprised they were able to function without killing each other!:D

Then 'Under the Cloak...' That was a good one! And very ambiguous at the end as to What the Heck Happened?! Did Mbanga murder him? Did Chapel lie about what she saw and didn't see? They certainly lied about who owned that knife! Definite total gray-going-on-black area. Not to say that the guy didn't deserve it, but there had been better ways up until that point to handle the situation, but there was clearly a lot of stress and PTSD going on. What a way to leave it too.

Now, I just need more of those types of episodes rather than too many fun ones. They did teas in the premier that there was growing tension with the Gorn, but then there was nothing else, which is a shame.

Edited by Thom

You know, after all that weird hype around the Roddenberry Archive, and those "765874" clips, I'm really hoping that they introduce Yeoman Colt in this series.  I was thinking it would be fun to see them translate some of the comics with her alternate future trip into a several episode arc, but they would have to adjust the timeline quite a bit, since she'd already left the crew, and was well on the way to getting her own command by this point.

If they're following the original events leading up to Pike's accident, they've got seven years in-universe before that's supposed to occur, based on what I'm reading, but I don't know how closely they're sticking to that, if at all.

Minor spoiler from the season finale.

At the very start of the episode:

"We're visiting a settlement where the settlers have built a community recreating a town from the 20th century American Midwest."

This reminds of the original series. Building locations set in the future is expense. Let's write an episode that uses an old set from another movie. 

48 minutes ago, Roy Focker said:

Minor spoiler from the season finale.

At the very start of the episode:

"We're visiting a settlement where the settlers have built a community recreating a town from the 20th century American Midwest."

This reminds of the original series. Building locations set in the future is expense. Let's write an episode that uses an old set from another movie. 

Gotta save money somewhere... VFX is expensive with CGI Gorn. 😁

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/2/2023 at 2:03 PM, David Hingtgen said:

Was the decision to have a Crossfield/Discovery-esque saucer-look an idea from higher-up, or were you guys given fairly free-rein? 

(it was mentioned in dialogue, so I wondered which was first)

It was scripted to begin with (mostly because we could shoot in the Discovery sets so it made sense to have the saucer from Crossfield class) - other than the saucer, we were pretty much given free range as long as it didn't visually look too much like the Enterprise as you want to instantly distinguish between the two during the fight in the rings (my first version had the nacelles up and the dish below the saucer but it looked too smiliar to the Constitution at first glance).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...