12 hours ago, Dynaman said:

That is FAR more typical of new construction.  All new ships get a shakedown cruise for just that reason.  Plus, kicking the crew off another ship (and the captain) to give it to Kirk and crew would be odd, even for ST reality.  But the real hard truth of the matter is, nobody thought about it AT ALL till after the movie was released.

That would suppose that they built a brand new ship, with old tech and style, specifically for Kirk and Co, even as they were already going to retire the old girl for exactly those reasons. That, and having the time to do it, when from the looks of the movie, them getting the -A happened pretty quickly after they were exonerated. It's much more likely that Yorktown, and maybe a few other Connie's, was also being retired at the same time. Perhaps, a class-retirement, as the -A is the last time we see a TMP version Constitution in any TV or movie media after the events of Undiscovered Country.

And the reason for so much going wrong after the beginning of Final Frontier could easily be because the ship was already being disassembled, and was then put back together in a rush for the rechristening.

But the real hard truth of the matter is, nobody thought about it AT ALL till after the movie was released.

Too right! We bandy about this or that about a scene or plot for decades, when they were only meant to entertain for all of five minutes or so.😜

Hah, I'd forgotten this one!

Edited by Thom

26 minutes ago, Thom said:

That would suppose that they built a brand new ship, with old tech and style, specifically for Kirk and Co, even as they were already going to retire the old girl for exactly those reasons. That, and having the time to do it, when from the looks of the movie, them getting the -A happened pretty quickly after they were exonerated. It's much more likely that Yorktown, and maybe a few other Connie's, was also being retired at the same time. Perhaps, a class-retirement, as the -A is the last time we see a TMP version Constitution in any TV or movie media after the events of Undiscovered Country.

As noted previously, Gene Roddenberry's favored/official explanation was that the Enterprise-A was a pre-existing Constitution-class ship that was simply renamed.

That said, Gene did flip-flop a bit on when the Constitution-class was retired.  Picard's USS Stargazer was supposed to be a Constitution-class ship originally, but due to production circumstances that detail got overlooked and they developed a new starship class (Constellation-class) for it.  That would've pushed the end-of-life for the Constitution-class out a good sixty-plus years.  (Some of the notes produced around the time TNG was on the drawing board suggested that Starfleet ships were intended for MUCH longer lifespans than the Constitution-class ended up having.  We're talking a century-plus, not the ~50 years they ended up with for the Constitution-class.

At the very least, we can blame the extended layovers in spacedock between five year missions and series for the Enterprise's changes in appearance. 

26 minutes ago, Thom said:

And the reason for so much going wrong after the beginning of Final Frontier could easily be because the ship was already being disassembled, and was then put back together in a rush for the rechristening.

Or simply dragged out of mothballs and given the minimum amount of restoration to get her spaceworthy before foisting her on Kirk, secure in the knowledge that he'd be so busy trying to get her working again that he wouldn't be able to get up to trouble for at least a week.

What I'll say for the SNW Enterprise... while I don't much care for it being made so much bigger than it ought to be, I do greatly enjoy the care that the set designers and prop masters have shown in trying to give the original TOS/TAS sets and mattes new life and an aesthetic facelift for the 21st century.  There is a lot there that says "labor of love" in the prepwork.  I especially love that the engine room replicated the look of the TOS/TAS Enterprise's warp core.

My understanding of the new Enterprise has always been that it was a re-designation of a new-construction Constitution, built to the "refit" specifications. They took one that was approaching completion when Kirk and company blew up the no-bloody-A-B-C-or-D, and immediately before it was officially designated the USS Whatever, NCC 90210, they rushed out and repainted it to be NCC-1701-A.

The refit specification replaced every system, bringing the Constitution up to then-modern specs, and the hull seemed to not be a limiting factor, so there was no reason not to build more of them. Maybe they weren't the finest ships in the fleet after the Excelsior-class came online, but they were still fine ships. At least one served well into Picard's era, being destroyed in the battle of Wolf-359.

Well, they were mostly fine ships. The 1701-A seems to have been a lemon, with it having to be brought back for a near-total overhaul after it's shakedown cruise because the warp core was the only thing that DID work right, and she was unceremoniously retired after less than a decade in service. But we know this wasn't the fate of the entire class.

1 hour ago, JB0 said:

My understanding of the new Enterprise has always been that it was a re-designation of a new-construction Constitution, built to the "refit" specifications. They took one that was approaching completion when Kirk and company blew up the no-bloody-A-B-C-or-D, and immediately before it was officially designated the USS Whatever, NCC 90210, they rushed out and repainted it to be NCC-1701-A.

The refit specification replaced every system, bringing the Constitution up to then-modern specs, and the hull seemed to not be a limiting factor, so there was no reason not to build more of them. Maybe they weren't the finest ships in the fleet after the Excelsior-class came online, but they were still fine ships. At least one served well into Picard's era, being destroyed in the battle of Wolf-359.

Well, they were mostly fine ships. The 1701-A seems to have been a lemon, with it having to be brought back for a near-total overhaul after it's shakedown cruise because the warp core was the only thing that DID work right, and she was unceremoniously retired after less than a decade in service. But we know this wasn't the fate of the entire class.

I suspect somehow that that "lemon" was actually malicious compliance on Starfleet's part, after Kirk practically got off scott-free from disobeying orders and stealing the original Refit-E.

4 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

I suspect somehow that that "lemon" was actually malicious compliance on Starfleet's part, after Kirk practically got off scott-free from disobeying orders and stealing the original Refit-E.

...better to ask for forgiveness - after saving the world.:D

4 hours ago, Thom said:

...better to ask for forgiveness - after saving the world.:D

Yeah...well, it may be forgiven, but after needing space AAA to tow them back to spacedock, forgotten may be another matter entirely!

*imagines tow truck with warp engines pulling up to E-A, titled to one side near Saturn...*

10 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

Yeah...well, it may be forgiven, but after needing space AAA to tow them back to spacedock, forgotten may be another matter entirely!

*imagines tow truck with warp engines pulling up to E-A, titled to one side near Saturn...*

Good thing Starfleet has the gold breakdown package... it wouldn't be the first time the Enterprise ended up needing a tow.

Four for four! I felt ep 3 was a bit light, but all of them have been pretty dang entertaining, ep 4 even more so.

Spoiler

Definite shades of TWoK and a submarine cat-n-mouse game. I liked the truly alien design of the ships and how they moved, and that they are not showing us the Gorn, hopefully keeping with canon on that. And that victory here was defined merely by survival rather than a sneak play that killed all the bad guys.

3 hours ago, Thom said:

Four for four! I felt ep 3 was a bit light, but all of them have been pretty dang entertaining, ep 4 even more so.

Reveal hidden contents

Definite shades of TWoK and a submarine cat-n-mouse game. I liked the truly alien design of the ships and how they moved, and that they are not showing us the Gorn, hopefully keeping with canon on that. And that victory here was defined merely by survival rather than a sneak play that killed all the bad guys.

Agreed.

Yup really like this episode too.  Minor gripes with the show but over all I’m really liking this show. Finally another Star Trek show I love. This and Lower Decks.

Chris

9 minutes ago, Thom said:

Really liked episode 5! They've done drama, action and now just an everyday, light-hearted 'day in the life,' and it was just as entertaining as all the rest. This show continues to impress!

Cool.  I’m going to check it out in a little bit.

Rewatched episode 5. Really loving this show. #1 and La’an (the 2 buzz kills) playing good cop bad cop (both wanting to be bad cop) and then Enterprise BINGO was really fun.

Chris

I started this Saturday night, got to episode four and I'm really enjoying it! My previous Star Trek experience would be the first two JJ films, I've never been into Trek, not my thing, but this show is pretty fun. I'm pretty happy this show was easily accessible for those that aren't up to date on the insane, vast amounts of lore from previous series and films, it's easy enough to jump in on episode 1 and go from there. The weekly quest-style episodes works really well too. Everyone knows the basics of Star Trek, boldly go where no one has before, visit strange new worlds, etc., you know there's Star Fleet, and a cew, and they're on the Enterprise, you just get solid weekly episodes that each have their own conflict and resolution, no need to be aware of everything that happened before and happens after. 

Slightly unrelated, the Paramount+ app on Xbox is utter garbage. I fired it up to check out episode 1 and the Xbox app only supports 1080p, 2.0 stereo, no HDR or Dolby Vision of any kind. What in the actual frakk? Why even release the app on Xbox? Who in the hell would watch these expensive, fancy looking shows like that? The Series X supports 4K, HDR, Dolby Vision and Atmos, why are these companies releasing garbage, out of date apps for these systems? I saw ads for the Halo series on my Series X all the time while it was on, ads for Paramount+ on Series X, why even do that when the app makes these shows look like absolute trash? 

17 hours ago, sh9000 said:

You might like Star Trek The Next Generation and Star Trek Deep Space Nine.

Agreed. Though for TNG, one may be better off just starting in Season 3. 1 and 2 are pretty rough and hard to get through, especially season 1. There are a few things of importance that happen in them but nothing insurmountable to understand later. Just a thought. 

Chris

Edited by Dobber

22 hours ago, sh9000 said:

You might like Star Trek The Next Generation and Star Trek Deep Space Nine.

After season 1 of SNW ends I'll probably go back and watch TOS, then move onto TNG or DS9, I've heard nothing but good things. 

5 hours ago, Dobber said:

Agreed. Though for TNG, one may be better off just starting in Season 3. 1 and 2 are pretty rough and hard to get through, especially season 1. There are a few things of importance that happen in them but nothing insurmountable to understand later. Just a thought. 

Chris

Lol yeah I've read this before, just jump to season 3, 1 and 2 were a bit uneven, a little rough around the edges.