The History of Robotech by Toy Galaxy

no3Ljm

On 4/6/2018 at 4:53 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

Perhaps not an actual lawsuit in court, but it's possible there was a sealed arbitration or an exchange of cease-and-desists.  The "production bible" used by the staff of the Transformers cartoon mentions that Jetfire's design was changed for "legal reasons", but no specifics are given as to what the "legal reasons" were...

Or Hasbro just had a dutiful legal office (what a concept!) that sent out a staff reminder saying "We heard you all want to give the Autobots an aerial transportation vehicle. Just a reminder that we only paid for Jetfire's toy rights, not its film rights, so don't include it in any way, name, or form in the cartoon."

In the absence of reliable evidence, I tend to find that the more mundane explanation is usually the correct one. Because otherwise...

aliens.jpg

The safe bet would be that HG did send Hasbro a cease and desist back in the 80s given what we know from the 90s Playmates/HG vs Fasa case. In that case Fasa had tried to claim HG didn't do due diligence in defending its rights until HG produced evidence of them sending cease and desist letters since 1985 and having a long term correspondence about not using the designs.

If they had been going after Fasa since 1985 there's little doubt in my mind they went after Hasbro in the same time period.

12 hours ago, TheLoneWolf said:

Or Hasbro just had a dutiful legal office (what a concept!) that sent out a staff reminder saying "We heard you all want to give the Autobots an aerial transportation vehicle. Just a reminder that we only paid for Jetfire's toy rights, not its film rights, so don't include it in any way, name, or form in the cartoon."

They forgot to tell the ad team. Jetfire was animated toy-accurately for his TV commercial.

1 hour ago, JB0 said:

They forgot to tell the ad team. Jetfire was animated toy-accurately for his TV commercial.

Excellent point! But there are certain defenses to copyright infringement. That commercial has a lawful purpose: to market a legitimate product. Second, Jetfire only appears for mere seconds, so it would probably be considered de minimus (ie: trivial) infringement. A de minimus appearance with a lawful purpose wouldn't be a cause for concern. If it was an indisputable infringement, don't you think that commercial would've been, ya know, banned? :)

1 hour ago, TheLoneWolf said:

If it was an indisputable infringement, don't you think that commercial would've been, ya know, banned? :)

I don't actually know how long that commercial was aired for. I assumed it was pulled relatively swiftly.

11 hours ago, JB0 said:

I don't actually know how long that commercial was aired for. I assumed it was pulled relatively swiftly.

Just in case this wasn't confusing or frustrating enough, available records indicate that commercial first aired in 1985... after Hasbro and Toei/Sunbow redesigned and reintroduced Jetfire as Skyfire "for legal reasons" (in "Fire in the Sky", which aired on 8 Dec 1984).

EDIT: Which, in hindsight, would tend to rule out the theory that Hasbro went into it with foreknowledge that they couldn't use the Jetfire design in animation.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

4 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

Ending is a form of change...

Being less relevant than ever is also a form of change.

Mind you, I'm not sure it's a form of change that merits being acknowledged in a video... 

Unfortunately, that video didn't provide any substantial new details that we haven't already discussed to death on this forum. I was hoping it would have some leaks on the legal statuses of this and that, or future distribution plans, or even merchandising strategies. Something new.

Ah well. Still just waiting patiently for proof of the supposed good tidings this way to come.

11 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Unfortunately, that video didn't provide any substantial new details that we haven't already discussed to death on this forum. I was hoping it would have some leaks on the legal statuses of this and that, or future distribution plans, or even merchandising strategies. Something new.

Ah well. Still just waiting patiently for proof of the supposed good tidings this way to come.

You pointed out the fundamental problem with youtubers I have these days, or at least why I have a low opinion of most making a living off the platform.  They put so much effort trying to sound smart/funny/worth the 10 to 15 minutes of your time and are good at summarizing stuff that happened in the past, but when it comes to the future they might as well stop recording.  Besides, when it comes to Robotech when was the last time a big change was announced and what actually followed was genuinely worth getting excited for?

I just look at this as another toy galaxy video to bring everyone up to speed with what has been announced. For the die hard Macross fans here, it’s not going to be enough, but for the basic fans or even somewhat newer fans it’s somewhat interesting and a good way to kill a few minutes while getting ready to go to work or something.