BANDAI DX YF-19!!

seti88

May I respectfully ask for a copy of the brackets the VF-31 Super Parts use to put the reaction missiles over the armor plates?

Thanks to Jenius for the pic!

53F915CD-BC93-4CCB-966C-843A997A324E.jpeg

5 hours ago, Sildani said:

May I respectfully ask for a copy of the brackets the VF-31 Super Parts use to put the reaction missiles over the armor plates?

Thanks to Jenius for the pic!

53F915CD-BC93-4CCB-966C-843A997A324E.jpeg

Unfortunately I'm pretty limited on when I can work on models for personal stuff; that adapter would be pretty simple to model but I don't know when I'll have the opportunity to do it. I'll add it to my list though.

Thanks to jaustin89 I have my replacement part already!   Unbelievable!   (Although, after paying $30 for shipping getting it in about a week does feel kind of right.)

The piece seems to fit just fine.  My only gripe is that it's clearly the wrong color, something most of you could probably fix in 20 seconds, but I've never been able to paint anything without making a horrible mess.  Wouldn't know what color to go with either....just a military green like they used on jeeps?

Anyway, regardless of the color, I'm just thrilled to have this thing intact again.  Thanks jaustin!!

aQ7HOo9.jpg

k1wNwx9.jpg

JTxZVrx.jpg

1 hour ago, gerwookie said:

What are the chances of an opened damaged packaging mandarake order having the broken antenna issue?

Slightly higher when it gets to you than when it left their store?

You can ask them to check, but when they ship it to you it might happen regardless.

7 hours ago, onnasake said:

The piece seems to fit just fine.  My only gripe is that it's clearly the wrong color, something most of you could probably fix in 20 seconds, but I've never been able to paint anything without making a horrible mess.  Wouldn't know what color to go with either....just a military green like they used on jeeps?

Compared to the Yamato version, the Bandai fold booster is a much more vivid green---I'd look at "general/gaming/railroad" colors, not military/camo colors.  

1 hour ago, gerwookie said:

What are the chances of an opened damaged packaging mandarake order having the broken antenna issue?

If you get one and find that it's broken, get the taobao ones from the last page.

2 hours ago, gerwookie said:

Based on the 2 I just got; roughly 50%.

8 hours ago, onnasake said:

Thanks to jaustin89 I have my replacement part already!   Unbelievable!   (Although, after paying $30 for shipping getting it in about a week does feel kind of right.)

Anyway, regardless of the color, I'm just thrilled to have this thing intact again.  Thanks jaustin!!

Glad the design worked; sorry about the color though. Unfotunately Shapeways only offers a single shade of green plastic; I can give you the file if you want to try finding somewhere closer to you that can get the right color.

As for the adapters I got them pretty close for a first try; I need to rework the hardpoint attachment the opening for the pylon attachments, and the missile spacing on the 3X AMRAAM mount but the concept clearly works.

15593454268563111218363683425982.thumb.jpg.914cbadc043aca219f0ff5407c13adbd.jpg15593454793886950704581344708843.thumb.jpg.ef30c60eee1a1c417b55182557cd2f51.jpg

My only frame of reference is my HMR VF-1D, but what’s the percentage of things being display piece to a whooshable “toy”. I mean, I like to think I’m gentle but I do like to fiddle and transform every now and then. Isn’t that the value, that it’s 3-in-1? For those who “play” (when no one’s looking) or transform often, is the quality there? Obviously joints get loose but I’d like to hear some anecdotal data on how it’s in general holding up from gentle but regular “handling”. 

2 hours ago, gerwookie said:

My only frame of reference is my HMR VF-1D, but what’s the percentage of things being display piece to a whooshable “toy”. 

By  “things” you are still talking Bandai DX YF-19? 

I only have the Bandai DX VF-19 Advanced , as reference. But I imagine it’s on par with the Bandai YF-19 in many ways..

I’m sure they have their differences, but..!  Makes a GREAT display piece and swooshes very well. Very playable and holds up great after /during multiple translations.

3 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I don't actually know, but I do remember someone saying they're actually a different size/shape, and might damage the VF-1 hardpoints, so I wouldn't recommend trying it.

Thanks for the fast response! Such a same too. If only someone could 3D print a tiny connection point between the two

16 hours ago, Bolt said:

By  “things” you are still talking Bandai DX YF-19? 

I only have the Bandai DX VF-19 Advanced , as reference. But I imagine it’s on par with the Bandai YF-19 in many ways..

I’m sure they have their differences, but..!  Makes a GREAT display piece and swooshes very well. Very playable and holds up great after /during multiple translations.

Ah yeah I meant this being my first DX but that I like the playability of the HMR and hope a $250-300 toy can still be a “toy” in every sense of that word. Thanks for your input. I like displaying but I fiddle enough to emphasize the “playing” in disPLAYING haha.

If you want a playable one, Id suggest the 1/48 DX VF-1, it’s the most sturdy, easily transformed, and easiest to pose of any of my Macross figures.

The YF-19 has a more complicated transformation.

Edited by Sanity is Optional

I thought so too judging from videos and such. I am working on acquiring one :)  Although everyone’s hands are bigger than mine so hard to tell until I handle it in person. If anyone has a pic of the YF-19 or VF-1j next to some MG 1/100 gunpla kits I could picture it better.

42 minutes ago, gerwookie said:

I thought so too judging from videos and such. I am working on acquiring one :)  Although everyone’s hands are bigger than mine so hard to tell until I handle it in person. If anyone has a pic of the YF-19 or VF-1j next to some MG 1/100 gunpla kits I could picture it better.

I can send some pics after work tonight for you.

On 6/2/2019 at 12:49 PM, Chronocidal said:

I don't actually know, but I do remember someone saying they're actually a different size/shape, and might damage the VF-1 hardpoints, so I wouldn't recommend trying it.

That may have been me.  Here's a better illustration of why that would be the case:

The quickly drawn shapes, along with red circled areas around where the damage/deformation would likely happen:

VF-1 Pylon face-on:

1923858718_HardpointFaceOn-CrushAreas.png.ab2eb519069cc2d01102e35ac3d8d448.png

A side, section type view:

496350486_HardpointCrossSection-CrushAreas.png.262db1662cfe20d10e959e4ca3a7de53.png

And the pylon shape for the YF-19/VF-19/VF-31 (and probably the SV-262 as well):

294431206_PylonSide-Damagingpoints.png.3c5578367d16ed46b5718c37aaecfbaa.png

Because of the angle of that round surface's edges, it deforms very easily when you push the pylons against it to fit/remove it.  There are slight "nubs" on the posts of the pylon that are responsible for this.  It definitely works, you just have to be really careful with the amount of pressure you apply when inserting or removing them.

I'd love to see a close-up of the new VF-1 specific missile parts for comparison.  My guess is that they put the main connection focus on the middle post, instead of the side ones for the existing DX mounts.  On these existing ones, the attaching mechanism seems to be more about the outer posts.

I can't paint worth a crap, but I brushed on a layer of Tamiya acrylic X-5 green onto the shapeways piece.

It's definitely not a match but it's much better than the bright green, no?  And definitely better to have a slightly off color piece that functions than a broken piece that doesn't work at all.

20190604_171425.thumb.jpg.2602c9174da6839b0674d83f416ff461.jpg20190604_171435.thumb.jpg.44953e5f99b0324cd48151c43403558a.jpg20190604_171451.thumb.jpg.9318958f09fc3af1905f2e0c427a9e85.jpg20190604_171729.thumb.jpg.74b56ce2777725e65002c9c7ec341b02.jpg

15 minutes ago, onnasake said:

I can't paint worth a crap, but I brushed on a layer of Tamiya acrylic X-5 green onto the shapeways piece.

It's definitely not a match but it's much better than the bright green, no?  And definitely better to have a slightly off color piece that functions than a broken piece that doesn't work at all.

20190604_171729.thumb.jpg.74b56ce2777725e65002c9c7ec341b02.jpg

How did you attach the display stand to the side of your shelf so securely?

2 hours ago, onnasake said:

It's definitely not a match but it's much better than the bright green, no?

Much better, yes.  You should paint the front two mounts to match... and then spray a couple layers of matte clear coating, to knock down the sheen and give it a more consistent finish.

2 hours ago, Lolicon said:

How did you attach the display stand to the side of your shelf so securely?

And more importantly, how does the display stand hold up the toy so securely? :unknw:

7 minutes ago, onnasake said:

Well, the answer is simple.....I didn't.  That photo is sideways!  I couldn't rotate it so I just said screw it.  The stand is just laying flat and gravity is doing its thing.

LOL, I think they are likely just pulling your leg.

Color matching is a pain. Good luck.

13 hours ago, Arkham said:

Arcadia adapter are for ... Arcadia products :-)

Someone correct me, but I think the SV-262 adapters should work with the Bandai DX YF19

The SV-262 adapter does work, however the upper sitting side brackets where the valk sits on is a few mm taller. It was mentioned in the Yetistand thread.

9 hours ago, jasonmacross83 said:

Crazy question guys. I am an MISB collector so I very rarely remove these items from there boxes. How much does the YF-19 weigh in grams without the armor parts?

I was one of the lucky ones. Both my YF-19s came with the antennas intact. I did not remove them from their tray though :-) 

Hope this helps.

IMG_20190614_110319.jpg.a57779e4ccf06766e32520ecdc59fe94.jpg