BANDAI DX YF-19!!

seti88

Use epoxy or a “hot”, aggressive plastic cement. Apply thinly, press together, let cure for 48 hours. Then treat it as you would your newborn son and it - MIGHT - stay in one piece. Good luck. 

9 hours ago, onnasake said:

So today I transformed the YF-19 from battroid to fighter.  Oh man, I was so excited...all the pieces and fast packs were lining up beautifully...maybe the best I've ever managed.  I attached the fold booster......

And I dropped the goddamn thing.  I DROPPED MY $300 toy.

After all the bullshit I've been through you'd think I'd be as careful as handling a Faberge egg but NOOOOOOOOOOO.

One of the green connectors that holds the Fold Booster snapped clean in half.  I tried gluing it but it just wouldn't hold.  I should count myself lucky that's all that broke.

aMr0RDZ.jpg?1

Clearly, I was never meant to own this toy.

This advice comes too late, but I suggest handling and transforming these things very close to another surface (table, floor, w/e).  I usually transform mine sitting on carpeted floor, in case I drop it, it won't be damaged.  It also generally makes it easier to find stuff that might fall off.

12 hours ago, onnasake said:

So today I transformed the YF-19 from battroid to fighter.  Oh man, I was so excited...all the pieces and fast packs were lining up beautifully...maybe the best I've ever managed.  I attached the fold booster......

After all the bullshit I've been through you'd think I'd be as careful as handling a Faberge egg but NOOOOOOOOOOO.

One of the green connectors that holds the Fold Booster snapped clean in half.  I tried gluing it but it just wouldn't hold.  I should count myself lucky that's all that broke.

aMr0RDZ.jpg?1

I'd say you got away pretty lucky for dropping this toy. The core toy itself is still okay so that's something. Don't be too sad. I don't even care about the fast packs, missles, and fold booster. Lol

16 hours ago, onnasake said:

aMr0RDZ.jpg?1

try use bondic on it.  the bond it forms is pretty strong

My YF19 has been in fighter mode ever since the first transformation cycle when I first got it....today I tried transforming it over to battroid again.

Got to say, once you know what you are doing, it takes 2-3 minutes. The legs did not want to fight me this time, the upper torso was simpler than I remembered...but yeah getting it all back together to line up for fighter is not going to be pleasant.

One ankle joint was looser than the other. On hard friction surfaces like a wooden table it stands just fine, but if not careful on a glass display shelf it does the splits.

Luckily the iconic modes for the YF19 are fighter and battroid, so poor gerwalk [which had the balancing issue] is the odd one out...

On 12/16/2018 at 5:31 AM, Foblander said:

I'd say you got away pretty lucky for dropping this toy. The core toy itself is still okay so that's something. Don't be too sad. I don't even care about the fast packs, missles, and fold booster. Lol

Soooo....you don't use your fold booster, eh?

You, uh, interested in working out some kind of deal for the little connector piece I broke?  (Assuming you have this toy, that is.)

I know I'm not being realistic.  Anyone that spent this much on a toy isn't gonna want to parse out the parts.

EDIT.......ah shitballz....I heard back from Bandai customer service and they say they're all out of YF-19s so they can't help me.

I know it's a long shot, but if any of you guys were crazy enough to buy multiples, and would be willing to live without that part, I'd be more than happy to trade missiles for it.  I basically load mine out with the fast packs and the booster, so ALL the missiles are just sitting in the box.  The pinpoint punch too...I don't think I've ever even removed it from the tray.  Missiles, missile connectors, green punchy thing...the connector is more important to me than any of those.  I'm a desperate man.

Edited by onnasake

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 11:15 PM, onnasake said:

EDIT.......ah shitballz....I heard back from Bandai customer service and they say they're all out of YF-19s so they can't help me.

I know it's a long shot, but if any of you guys were crazy enough to buy multiples, and would be willing to live without that part, I'd be more than happy to trade missiles for it.  I basically load mine out with the fast packs and the booster, so ALL the missiles are just sitting in the box.  The pinpoint punch too...I don't think I've ever even removed it from the tray.  Missiles, missile connectors, green punchy thing...the connector is more important to me than any of those.  I'm a desperate man.

Check your inbox.. ;)

So I was able to get a DX YF-19 Excalibur from 505thAirborne, and I'm waiting for it to arrive. I haven't felt excited about a valk in ages, but man, I've always wanted a true and complete representation of the YF-19. So much was my excitement, I dusted off my old 1/60 Yammie V1 YF-19, and transformed it. As i was done transforming it, its left arm disintegrated on my hands, lol. I went from anger, to sadness, and back to normal like in 5 minutes...

EWGqjLa.jpg

I need something strong and efficient to glue it back on... Or weather it to look battle damaged. I still don't know what to do. I imagine, this may have been an issue with Yamato's first release. I have never broken a valk, and i don't count this as my fault, but it sure is aggravating.

Edited by vlenhoff

I feel for you. The grey plastic on the V1 1/60 YF-19 is very similar to the VF-0 series from Yamato. Before you break out the glue give it a full once over. I keep seeing sales on eBay expressing the same issue with grey and beige parts being broken. It might just mean that time is up for these once great beauties.

Hope you can repair it without too much trouble.

On 11/26/2018 at 5:31 PM, mechaninac said:

Tenax, Abroid ProWeld, Testors Liquid Cement; all of which are methylene chloride (acetates and methyl ethyl ketone in the case of Testors) based solvents for Styrene/ABS.  Stay away from glues, specially CA, as all you'll accomplish is to make a mess and ruing the part(s), and the repair WILL NOT hold up.

1.  Drill into both pieces if the broken antenna with a small diameter bit equal to the thickness of the pin to be used (see #2), trying to keep the holes as aligned as possible.

2.  Insert a piece of metal pin (seamstress pin works perfectly) into the hole of one of the pieces and then mate the whole thing onto the other piece, paying attention to maintain proper alignment.  Leave a small gap between the parts.

3.  Touch the brush applicator of the plastic weld, loaded with just a bit of liquid, to the gap so that capillary action carries the solvent in.  Push the two pieces together until you see a small amount of dissolved plastic ooze out of the break.  Keep the parts under slight pressure pushing the pieces together for a while until the oozed plastic is no longer tacky.  Let it cure overnight.

4.  Scrape, file, sand away the repair's resulting scar (the oozed plastic). Brush on a super thin coat of the plastic solvent over the repair and sanded areas, if necessary, to even-out the surface finish and let dry.  Polish the plastic to match the rest of the part.

5.  Done!

If performed correctly, the antenna will be stronger than new, won't need paint, and will look like it was never broken at all to anything but the most anal scrutiny.

Ha, thanks mechaniac, I hope testors will do the trick on my old Yammie. I wonder if Arcadia corrected this problem, I have one new in box, but i am too afraid to transform it now. I might sell it at a loss, who knows. 

Edited by vlenhoff
No, I haven't Jenius, but i will check. Thanks!

^ Look at the WARNING portion of the product label; if it lists methylene chloride or acetates and methyl ethyl ketone it will work just fine.  Model kits are predominantly molded out of styrene/polystyrene; the broken antenna, as with most plastics used on these types of toys, is made from a soft-grade ABS (AcetylButyStyrene)... same plastic family, same reaction to model cement solvents.  To be absolutely sure, test the Liquid Poly on a small hidden surface of the toy with a tiny drop and check for the expected softening of the spot that should occur.

Good luck.

Humbrol glue should work decently well, but in my experience, solvents specifically intended for ABS plastics work better on most Valk plastic, as model-kit-cement tends to be optimized for polystyrene. But generally what mechaninac said---if it has "methyl" in the warning label, it's probably good. 

If you've got any acetone around---give that a shot.  Raw ACETone works quite well with ACETylbutylstyrene. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thread resurrection (and I'm not talking about the Alien: Resurrection Film folks... From what I heard, it was a disaster).

Amiami has a the DX YF-19 Full set up for grabs (Item A/ Box B) for roughly 28k yen if anyone wants one.

https://www.amiami.com/eng/detail/?gcode=FIGURE-038985-R

Anybody know what piece this is?  I was transforming this to fighter mode and it fell off, I have no idea from where though.

Edit: Never mind, found it! Thanks!:D

E16B8D83-4281-430C-8EB2-CE603295A5C3.jpeg

Edited by Smacky

Yes.

It's another YF-19 post from me.   Sorry if there's so many and they're so redundant.

I'm still just shocked by how much I LOVE THIS TOY.   Especially considering how horribly disappointed I was when I unboxed it.  Well, that was ALL on me.   Impatience, trying to force thing, skipping stuff in the directions, and most of all not watching videos explaining all the nuances.

In the months since I've got it, I have yet to get the fighter mode "juuuust right."   I can get Battroid looking amazing....but there are bits in the fighter mode that elude me.  The "naked" fighter mode with no fast packs is no problem....but getting those arms to fold in just right with that horrible little grey back of the leg piece and getting the long shoulder pads to all peg in?   It's drive me crazy.

Not to mention a few weeks ago I broke the strut holding the fold booster, but I jury rigged a pin in there that seems to hold it just fine as far as you don't excessively handle it, and I learned already:  these can be appreciated and even held, but do NOT excessively handle them!

Well, I just spent over an hour trying to go from Battroid to the "perfect" fighter mode loaded out with fast packs and fold booster.   Other than the shoulder armor still just being the slightest bit gappy, I'd say I'm finally about 95%  there.  Even got the wing roots in place, and the pegs that go into the sides of the neck almost flush for the first time!

What a sight to behold.  What a dream come true.  Hard to imagine my biggest let down of 2018 quickly became my number one toy of the year, with no contest.

I have seen the light.  I am converted and born again.  I love this toy!!

Z6f6BmV.jpg

Edited by onnasake

2 hours ago, Smacky said:

Anybody know what piece this is?  I was transforming this to fighter mode and it fell off, I have no idea from where though.

Edit: Never mind, found it! Thanks!:D

*snip*

So what part is that? Care to share from where it fell from?

4 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

So what part is that? Care to share from where it fell from?

I put mine back in the box so I took a screen cap from Jenius’ transformation video. It’s this tiny cover for screws, just plopped it back in.

CDC750E6-7968-4769-8D59-32D07AE47FFB.jpeg

I can't wait to get mine!  The seller took 3 weeks to ship the damn thing where it seems to be sitting at the local Japanese post office for the past 8 days.  I'm getting more than a bit impatient.  I've watched Jenius's videos so many times that a majority of his views are probably from me, and I've got the transformation memorized (I hope).  As for difficulty transforming it, I figure if I can learn to love the Yammie 1/72 YF-21, this will be a breeze.

27 minutes ago, Smacky said:

I put mine back in the box so I took a screen cap from Jenius’ transformation video. It’s this tiny cover for screws, just plopped it back in.

CDC750E6-7968-4769-8D59-32D07AE47FFB.jpeg

Thank you sir! When I saw your post earlier I was assuming it was the fold out part under the chest but I don't remember seeing it with those two pegs that's why I asked. Maybe it wasn't glued properly. Thanks again. ;)

10 minutes ago, Pontus said:

I can't wait to get mine!  The seller took 3 weeks to ship the damn thing where it seems to be sitting at the local Japanese post office for the past 8 days.  I'm getting more than a bit impatient.  I've watched Jenius's videos so many times that a majority of his views are probably from me, and I've got the transformation memorized (I hope).  As for difficulty transforming it, I figure if I can learn to love the Yammie 1/72 YF-21, this will be a breeze.

The first thing that you want to do in your copy if the YF-19 Full set is: Loosen up those hip joints!

Don't be like @onnasake and have your valk legs sheer off during the transformation. Watch out for those canards on the shins and other notable items that we all have experienced here. ;)

Oh.. Don't forget to have a bottle of shock oil on hand (if you have).