I wonder if the Kai will be Hayates main Valkyrie in the Delta movie. If so I could imagine that Bandai will sell a bundle with the Kai and the Armor Parts.

I looked at the key visual for the movie and couldn’t determine what kind of Valkyrie Hayate is flying. Looks like the regular Super VF-31J to me.

Maybe he gets an upgrade for the final battle (if the Valkyries play any role at all that is :p)

1 hour ago, Lolicon said:

Hayate gets a state-of-the-art cutting edge YF-33 to replace his... state-of-the-art cutting edge VF-31? Technology sure is fast and cheap in the future!

And here we are in the real world, 1.5 trillion dollars later with a barely air-worthy F-35. :p

Macross pretty much runs on the aerospace development model that dominated the industry in the 50s-70s, where every manufacturer, contractor, and subsidiary was shoveling out new designs as fast as the wind tunnels could be built, and the military was buying all of them, to the point where you had standing fleets of thousands of aircraft of a dozen different varieties, all doing the same jobs.  Engine and airframe technology were developing so fast, it made sense to keep pushing out new designs before the old aircraft were even worn out.

You also got a wide range of quality out of those designs.  You got some wonderful aircraft out of that era, but you also got some horribly short-sighted design decisions that cost a lot of people their lives over time.

That being said, I kind of miss the Cold War. :lol: Airframe technology has stagnated, and computer technology has grown to the point that we're flying everything well past its intended life cycle, because we can keep upgrading the internals without significantly changing anything about the aircraft carrying around the boxes and weapons.

Thankfully for us, Macross is a merchandise-based aircraft industry, so they'll find ways to keep new designs coming, regardless of whether anyone in-universe actually needs them. :p 

36 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Macross pretty much runs on the aerospace development model that dominated the industry in the 50s-70s, where every manufacturer, contractor, and subsidiary was shoveling out new designs as fast as the wind tunnels could be built, and the military was buying all of them, to the point where you had standing fleets of thousands of aircraft of a dozen different varieties, all doing the same jobs.  Engine and airframe technology were developing so fast, it made sense to keep pushing out new designs before the old aircraft were even worn out.

You also got a wide range of quality out of those designs.  You got some wonderful aircraft out of that era, but you also got some horribly short-sighted design decisions that cost a lot of people their lives over time.

That being said, I kind of miss the Cold War. :lol: Airframe technology has stagnated, and computer technology has grown to the point that we're flying everything well past its intended life cycle, because we can keep upgrading the internals without significantly changing anything about the aircraft carrying around the boxes and weapons.

Thankfully for us, Macross is a merchandise-based aircraft industry, so they'll find ways to keep new designs coming, regardless of whether anyone in-universe actually needs them. :p 

I'm really grateful that I was a kid of the 80s growing up with all those awesome fighter-jets. Even if most of them where introduced in the 60s and 70s. :p 

I know that the Delta move is a compilation movie but due to the reduced runtime Hayate is probably already an Delta Squadron ace to begin with. It would be possible that he starts out with the Kai. I don't think it would be much work to replace the textures of the animation model since it is a 3D model. You need to re-render the scenes of course.

It seems like the VF-31 Armor Parts will take the role of the VF-25 Tornado Parts in the first Frontier movie. So they will have to render a bunch of Valkyrie action scenes that weren't in the TV show.

Speaking about fighter jets and the Tornado parts. I wonder if Kawamori got the inspiration and design for the rotating engine nacelles from the VJ-101:

EWR_VJ_101_in_1964.jpg

That might also explain the name of the Tornado Parts  because the company (Messerschmitt-Boelkow-Blohm) who was involved with the development of the VJ-101 was also responsible for developing the Panavia Tornado...

...ok that might derail the thread too much. :p

3 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

That's a pretty long-winded rant when I was simply referring to the ridiculousness from a narrative standpoint. You know, the part that actually made Delta suck so hard? :p

Frontier pulled the same shenanigans with the YF-29. And the Frontier movies sucked too. 

I could care less about how Macross "mirrors the Cold War" or some other such non-explanation for the sucking. :p

Oh, and if aircraft come so quick and easy, why is the UN Spacy still using a 30+ year old fighter design? Even the federation in Gundam replaced their cannon fodder mobile suits faster than that. :p 

Like I said, makes zero sense from a narrative standpoint. 

But at least we'll get a new toy! :)

I've always thought that Macross is somewhat realistic in that new VFs are introduced into service  fairly infrequently and do have a long development lead time.

Unlike Gundam, where they seem to get new MS every week (Ok, not quite that bad, but it seems like it......LOL)

1 hour ago, Graham said:

I've always thought that Macross is somewhat realistic in that new VFs are introduced into service  fairly infrequently and do have a long development lead time.

Unlike Gundam, where they seem to get new MS every week (Ok, not quite that bad, but it seems like it......LOL)

Oh, I was just referring to the Frontier timeline and onwards. In a span of less than a decade in-universe, we got the 25, 27, 29, 30, 31, and I'm willing to bet we see yet another new VF in the Delta movie (YF-33 maybe?).

I wouldn't call that infrequent or long service life lol (The 25 already vanished from the universe??)

9 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Lol didn't mean to derail things too much.  But it seems like the side fleets seem to be all developing their own production lines and designs at this point.

lol I think it's interesting. Terrible narrative sure, but I don't mind getting lots of new toys from it at least. :)

2 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Oh, I was just referring to the Frontier timeline and onwards. In a span of less than a decade in-universe, we got the 25, 27, 29, 30, 31, and I'm willing to bet we see yet another new VF in the Delta movie (YF-33 maybe?).

I wouldn't call that infrequent or long service life lol (The 25 already vanished from the universe??)

I think the point is that, at least the fighter development aspect is not as implausible as you think it is.

The 24, 25, 27 and 29 all share a common transformation and flight system (27 excepted) as well as the 30 and 31. That probably helps with design since a lot of the technical bits have already been done. 

17 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

I agree. It's easy to get thru proxy and such. But hell... it's expensive. :lol:

I was expecting something crazy like it has been for MYTH CLOTH EX - OPHIUCHUS ODYSSEUS. That thing is 37-38000 aftermarket at the moment and it was only 16000 at tamashii nations. 

On ‎2017‎-‎12‎-‎11 at 8:05 AM, PsYcHoDyNaMiX said:

I just got mine in via From Japan.  It was 27000 for the kai and another 7070 (i cluded are their domestic mailing fees, insurance, etc.) for EMS. 

I admit its been awhile since I've received a package wrapped like this! Air cushion mat, heatshrink plastic and secured to another board. I paid just a little less for ems shipping for my pg exia I got from hlj, but all that was is just the kit's box in a shipping box with some air cushions, lol.

20171211_105105.jpg

20171211_105119.jpg

20171211_105141.jpg

20171211_105209.jpg

20171211_105227.jpg

I got the same type of packaging from Manda when I ordered the Neca Alien Queen (sans the air bubble cushion on the bottom of the box).

To me, any of the large Macross valks that reaches beyond the $200 USD and hard to acquire (upon exchange to CND funds) is considered a "Holy Grail" to me and that doesn't include the other stuff that I also collect (I do recognize a fair amount of members in this forum in which I also participate in the TF one as well).    

1 hour ago, borgified said:

To me, any of the large Macross valks that reaches beyond the $200 USD and hard to acquire (upon exchange to CND funds) is considered a "Holy Grail" to me and that doesn't include the other stuff that I also collect (I do recognize a fair amount of members in this forum in which I also participate in the TF one as well).    

I'm in the same boat too. We sure get kicked in the groin living in Canada in this hobby.

I'm so jealous of everyone who was able to get a KAI. It's one I really wanted but looks like I definitely won't be able to get.

2 hours ago, spanner said:

though on its way, mine still hasn't left Japan as yet so I guess it won't be arriving before the weekend.. <_< NY's slack dispatch regime is quite irritating. :angry:

I ordered mine on a Friday, Preparation in Progress on Monday, then Shipped on Tuesday via UPS, scheduled to arrive Thursday. They moved quite fast for me this time around, though I've also experienced a few delays in the past. 

What shipping method did you choose? I noticed they tend to ship things out faster if I pick UPS.

1 hour ago, Sandman said:

When is the next lottery? Will from japan be charging after market prices?

There is only 1 lottery. Entry is until Feb 26. Winners will be announced on Feb 28. Ordering via FromJapan would be just the 21000yen plus the Charge 2 fees I believe as it's treated like any other web order. We'll see as I submitted a lottery request using them.

3 minutes ago, wmkjr said:

There is only 1 lottery. Entry is until Feb 26. Winners will be announced on Feb 28. Ordering via FromJapan would be just the 21000yen plus the Charge 2 fees I believe as it's treated like any other web order. We'll see as I submitted a lottery request using them.

Did you have to pay up front? I have it in my cart but was waiting for USD to hit 114 JY again :lol: