How will we deal with our collections?

Tochiro

The latest ANN Cast features an interesting discussion and one which I think is relevant to many who have been anime fans for an extended period of time - 'what do we do with our collections as we get older?'

I'd be very interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on the matter, so give the recording a listen and LET'S DISCUSSING! \(^o^)/

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2015-08-20/.91910

They're going to go into the trash, most likely. Not many people know about our interests and to their untrained, uncaring eyes it just looks like a lot of colorful junk. But hey, when you're dead, who cares?

I wouldn't mind running into my Dikvision Elsa in the afterlife, though...

My daughter gets everything, unless she doesn't want it. Maybe some of my more valuable Transformers get sold.

Assuming my daughter doesn't want my stuff, my books will get donated somewhere, my Transformers could go to my brother's kids, or maybe someday grandkids. My models will probably end up in the trash.

I want to be cremated with my collection.

Can't take it with me? FEH! I'll show you all!

Turning into the worlds most colorful lump of dusty plastic? I can dig it.

Hm never decided what i would do. At one point I wanted it to be turned into a museum for my existence as a geek. Still could happen.

I'm struggling with this at the moment. I've run out of room. I'm starting to look like a hoarder. I'm currently going through all my stuff and trying to sell anything I've lost interest in or stuff that I wont regret getting rid of. I hate throwing stuff out though. I feel like I should pass it on to someone but I don't know any body interested. I have a lot of vhs tapes of anime and other rare stuff that I went to great lengths to procure. I don't really want to trash it but no one has any interest in them. So they are current taking up valuable space. I'm having the same issue with my magazines. Anyone know somebody who wants a ton of wizard magazines or diamond previews from the 90s.

I have +200 issues of the White Dwarf magazine stored somewhere and I don't know what to do with them (the answer is clear: throw them away). So I know what your dealing with. A few years back I've drown all of my gaming magazines away so I got rid of some of my "archive". :D

Edited by Scyla

The latest ANN Cast features an interesting discussion and one which I think is relevant to many who have been anime fans for an extended period of time - 'what do we do with our collections as we get older?'

I'd be very interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on the matter, so give the recording a listen and LET'S DISCUSSING! \(^o^)/

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2015-08-20/.91910

I can relate with Tim Eldred's story. I lost a good friend to cancer earlier this year as well and he too had a massive anime collection. However, my friend was able to sell just about every last thing from his collection in one big swoop just shortly before his death. It was sad when the sell off happened (because it basically signaled what was coming soon).

I've thought about my own collection, but I'm just not ready to let go of many things yet. I'd like to think that I have several decades to think or do something about it.

Edited by Vifam7

I seriously need to do something about my collection as I'm almost 42 and have a eleventh month old baby girl that I doubt will be interested in wanting any of it. I do hope she'll keep my guns and expensive Shun kitchen knives though :)

I think I'll take the time to catalog my collection, post here and on Ebay and take whatever I can for it. I also thought about taking it with me to a flea market if tables are cheap and selling it off there.

Edited by TangledThorns

I'm slowly but carefully turning my eldest kid into an otaku to make sure all the goodness is passed on to him. The Macross stuff will be a hard sell though since almost all of it is in Japanese.

Before that happens though, my mrs. will probably have forced me to get rid of half my manga collection.

darth-vader-pyre.gif?w=500&h=200&crop=1LO

LOL... Classic

Please before that happens let me sell a kidney and buy half your collection. I'll give them a respectful, dry, smoke and pet free home :D

I'm somewhat conflicted in my reasoning. There is a part of me that is young at heart and that will continue to get googly-eyed over new announcements. There is another part of me that keeps working against this impulse, though, and is making more of an effort now to keep my collection small. For instance, I have an active sell/trade pile in the home office that is getting larger and larger.

This older part of me is also trying to define an endpoint for my collection. I'm not quite sure what that is, though. I do know that I am looking for it.

I experienced the estate side of things when my Dad passed after a sudden illness in 2002. I was in my late 20s and he was a collector. His passions were for music and technology, cycling and chronometers. He kept all boxes, all receipts, and he even had a creative storage methodology for his things when he was going to be away traveling. It was a tough time and I was the executor...anyway, it's not really a story for this forum so I apologize for being vague.

Suffice it to say, keeping the collection small and in balance with the rest of my house and life became a very personal decision for me. The number of 1/60 VF-1As that I own proves that I do slip up from time to time, but I think I will eventually get back to a small grouping of favorite items. ;)

They're going to go into the trash, most likely. Not many people know about our interests and to their untrained, uncaring eyes it just looks like a lot of colorful junk. But hey, when you're dead, who cares?

I wouldn't mind running into my Dikvision Elsa in the afterlife, though...

Nice typo myk!

I have +200 issues of the White Dwarf magazine stored somewhere and I don't know what to do with them (the answer is clear: throw them away). So I know what your dealing with. A few years back I've drown all of my gaming magazines away so I got rid of some of my "archive". :D

you donate them to a bunch of kids at the GW stores who are learning to paint their own stuff.

I have it in my Will that if I am KIA on mission all my weapons and gear gets sold off away from my family as I doubt they'd want the reminders, my bikes go to my kids, the other hobby stuff goes to worthy people the family find that are doing it hard themselves. Preferably kids.

I regularly give away all my 40K Heresy novels to anyone that wants to read them.

I guess it depends on why you buy things in the first place. For me its because I want them. So once I have enjoyed them I pass them on as I never bought them as an investment.

Its partly a Karma thing I think as all us Bomb Techs are a little superstitious and like to "Pay it forward" to keep the good luck credit in the green.

Edited by NZEOD

Maybe we should form the Macross World Foundation that is archiving all the Macross merchandise in a museum. With all the spares it wouldn't be too devastating if a child with a drink stumbles on them. ^_^

Would pass it on to my son. ;)

Unless my wife says otherwise. I do let her know the value of the valks I have for today's market and keep on telling her that she could still sell it for a good amount just in case of emergency purposes. :rolleyes:

A rather crazy and absurd podcast in many ways, but also very interesting, insightful and funny. It was very strange to listen to these guys talk about toy collecting and what they do to collect their toys to such an extreme degree as though it was like having a cup of coffee. I suppose when you're into a hobby that far for that long, that's just second nature. It seemed just bizarre to an outsider from extreme collecting, but at the same time fascinating to learn about this world and what happens at the end of the journey. I didn't relate all that much to the collectors because I don't have any collection of anything that even approaches the level of what these guys have or had. I can fit most of the collection of stuff I own into one big box (might take two), like the one guy said at the end of the episode.

What I did relate to was the guy that spoke about SHARING stuff with the fans of the world and the social aspect of the hobby, the making of friends. One of the reasons I created my fan site was to share all the beautiful art of our fandom with those that would never see all of that now rare and prohibitively expensive art. Like the one guy said, there's so much exclusivity in these fandoms it's "tragic" the vast majority of fans might never know or enjoy these parts of the fandom for the rest of their natural lives. Our fandoms began because creators/artists/businessmen wanted to share their creative entertainment for a living and then pass that torch along to the next generation. Very important message.

Edited by Mr March

who knows what the future holds and stuff I have now might not be what I have down the track.. What ever it is I will leave to my son of course. Then what he does with it is up to him. Im pretty sure he would keep some stuff depending if he's still interested in it.

Although my Macross collection is slowly growing I have trimmed down on a lot of other stuff so its not like I have a huge amount of stuff to worry about anyways..

It wasn't long ago I had this conversation with my cousin who asked me if I was happy to handle his (massive) collections of stuff if anything were to happen to him as he knows I would appreciate what stuff is actually worth and his wife and kids would probably just let it all go without any consideration. I would even be able to keep stuff if I chose to do so! I thought that was nice of him to ask.