VF-1J Hikaru difference between SDFM and DYRL?

YF-29 Durandal

just the hands....it is animated both with and without the grey visor on the TV show...but just with grey visor on film version....unless the grey visor is part of the GBP setup???

I'm pretty sure that the grey visor is not a part of the GBP setup so grey visor for DYRL and white visor for SDFM or maybe the grey visor for DYRL is an animation error as well?

I think he just needs to watch DYRL.

Not sure why he's depriving himself of it.

I have now seen DYRL and I must say that SDFM has the better story.

When building the M3 website I recall having a difficult time deciding whether the visor was white or grey in the SDF Macross series. I decided to color one grey and then have a stylized coloring of the VF-1J featuring a white visor. Figured I had both bases covered. In most of the SDF Macross series, the VF-1J Valkyrie is shown with a white visor, though there are exceptions (Like the VF-1J GBP-1S Armored Valkyrie). I didn't have access to HD screen shots and extensive art books with colored Macross line art like I do today, so it was more difficult to reconcile contradictions when I first built my site 10 years ago. The Macross Chronicle and all official Yamato, Bandai, Arcadia and Revoltech toy/model products all depict the VF-1J visor as white. In the next update to my website, I'm going to change the standard model VF-1J visor back to a white visor, leaving only the GBP-1S with the grey. Hope that helps.

When building the M3 website I recall having a difficult time deciding whether the visor was white or grey in the SDF Macross series. I decided to color one grey and then have a stylized coloring of the VF-1J featuring a white visor. Figured I had both bases covered. In most of the SDF Macross series, the VF-1J Valkyrie is shown with a white visor, though there are exceptions (Like the VF-1J GBP-1S Armored Valkyrie). I didn't have access to HD screen shots and extensive art books with colored Macross line art like I do today, so it was more difficult to reconcile contradictions when I first built my site 10 years ago. The Macross Chronicle and all official Yamato, Bandai, Arcadia and Revoltech toy/model products all depict the VF-1J visor as white. In the next update to my website, I'm going to change the standard model VF-1J visor back to a white visor, leaving only the GBP-1S with the grey. Hope that helps.

Thumbs up.

And I love your site, I always go there for my line art fix.

-b.

Perhaps the toys make some distinction, but I can't tell from the line art if there is supposed to be any difference in the arms. I'll post a comparison picture here (TV on the left, DYRL on the right)

Kanedas Bike
Then you'll adore the next update. A space ship full of line art has been revised across the website. Getting closer to finishing the update, but still so much work, lol :)

post-114-0-43918300-1406039511_thumb.gif

I don't think that equipping the GBP armor parts should make the visor grey so it's probably an animation error in SDFM that carried over to DYRL.

Edited by YF-29 Durandal

Mr March, I didn't know how to show my appreciation for M3 until I realised you are actually here! I love that website so much and I can tell the amount of time and effort you have put into that site. Thanks so much for the invaluable resource! Looking forward for more

Perhaps the toys make some distinction, but I can't tell from the line art if there is supposed to be any difference in the arms. I'll post a comparison picture here (TV on the left, DYRL on the right)

Kanedas Bike

Then you'll adore the next update. A space ship full of line art has been revised across the website. Getting closer to finishing the update, but still so much work, lol :)

Yes! And DYRL for the win.

I don't think that equipping the GBP armor parts should make the visor grey so it's probably an animation error in SDFM that carried over to DYRL.

More likely just a very deliberate design or aesthetic change. Especially since every Valkyrie had styling changes that include coloring and mechanical details (like the VF-1A head, Battroid hands, cockpit designs, etc., etc.).

-b.

I'm thinking like this: SDFM type VF-1J without GBP = white visor and SDFM type VF-1J with GBP = grey visor... so does the GBP armor parts make the visor grey or is it an animation error and did that animation error carry over to DYRL?

And feel free to correct my grammar... english is not my first language.

I'm thinking like this: SDFM type VF-1J without GBP = white visor and SDFM type VF-1J with GBP = grey visor... so does the GBP armor parts make the visor grey or is it an animation error and did that animation error carry over to DYRL?

And feel free to correct my grammar... english is not my first language.

I'm not sure why you're hung up on this. The grey is consistent with the armor's aesthetic and perceived functionality.

It is not an animation error.

The only animation error(s) in DYRL is the first release's Max-1A (chest-stripe) and Roy-1S (heatshield) color-change, which was subsequently corrected in the Remastered DVD and the later Blu-Ray versions.

The Takatoku 1/55 1J Hikaru was released with grey-visor for whatever reason. Yamato did not follow that with their regular Hikaru-1Js. The Yamato grey-visor Hikaru-1J 1/60 was a limited edition.

Edited by treatment

I suppose it's possible the VF-1J GBP-1S grey visor is a color error that's been perpetuated, but there's no way to really know. I think it's more plausible it's a deliberate style choice on behalf of the artists and when you look at it white vs grey, the grey clearly works better for the armored mode. The Macross Chronicle colors the GBP-1S Armored Valkyrie visor grey and several pieces of official art over the years have done the same. There are also a few toys that use the grey visor. The standalone VF-1j is uniformly white across every Macross publication I've seen. I think most folks associate the VF-1J with a grey visor when armored, so I've stuck with that color scheme for the revised armored valkyrie art in the next website update. For the standalone VF-1J, I'm gonna go with white. I can always do a color variant if fans want. It's easy enough. But the standard VF-1J profile on the M3 will use white after the next update.

Yes, I've noted the change in the Macross The First VF-1J cockpit glass. I've built a VF-1J "Macross The First" variant profile for the next update of my website and manually redrew the cockpit glass to match the new canopy. See attached image below.

close313

Thanks for the praise. The M3 is a lot of work, but it's worth it. In addition to new material that is slated to appear, the next update is an broad "renovation" of existing material. The VF-1S Battroids shown in my post above are a good example of what the revised colored art will look like. In some cases, even more detailed colors will appear on other pictures. But not just the valkyries are revised, there's much more including revised ships, vehicles, missiles, gun pods, and other material. Trying hard to get it out this year, hopefully by the end of the summer or early fall.

post-114-0-59023500-1406052428_thumb.gif

Edited by Mr March

Yay I can't wait for the update Mr. March. Your website is awesomeness in a can.

I hope to see some new YF-29 pictures and Frontier Valkyries in the style of the other ones on your site.

Keep up the great work!