Robotech x Voltron crossover... what the...I don't even...

Watch the first 5 min.

Wat? I watched 7 minutes of that and I already want a refund. I remember going to a local con in New England when HG was marketing the Shadow Chronicles. Kevin McKeever was there seducing the unwashed with Toynami valks and other mechs. I was willing to give the presentation a chance in spite of that, but the whole event was muted with little fanfare for the show. This reminds me of that, just with more of HG's big names because of the location. I will not be fooled twice.

I agree with Graham. The other tragedy of Robotech is the audience. I have a feeling they are getting older. Macross seems to do a better job at gaining new viewers with new material that also appeals to the core fans.

Edited by technoblue

So let's see, in recent years Macross fans get the excellent Frontier series and movies and Macross 30 PS3 game, not to mention all the 30th anniversary events and products and Robowreck fans get err......this.....LOL.

I'm actually scared to watch that video above.

Graham

*cough*

Edited by Einherjar

I agree with Graham. The other tragedy of Robotech is the audience. I have a feeling they are getting older. Macross seems to do a better job at gaining new viewers with new material that also appeals to the core fans.

The fans are the saddest part of the entire panel. It's almost embarrassing watching them ask LAM questions to Yune, and I actually felt bad for them.

So let's see, in recent years Macross fans get the excellent Frontier series and movies and Macross 30 PS3 game, not to mention all the 30th anniversary events and products and Robowreck fans get err......this.....LOL.

I'm actually scared to watch that video above.

Graham

ill stick to watching pr0n late at night than watch that... tripe.

I thought WB paid for the license to make a movie? The comic is being put out by Dynamite Entertainment. But the press release also mentions DC Comics. Dynamite is an independent comic publisher with no corporate ties (to my knowledge) to Warner or DC. Dynamite also has the rights to Voltron (they are currently publishing a Voltron comic), so it's not because of the crossover.

I thought maybe it was because Wildstorm, which is owned by DC, still has the comics rights, but weren't planning on doing anything, so maybe they worked out a sub-licensing agreement with Dynamite? That's just speculation on my part though.

If that's the case, then it potentially opens up the door for even more crazy crossover madness -- Superman vs. the Zentraedi!

DC Entertainment is sub-licensing their Robotech license to DYNAMITE and they'll be publishing more RT comics from now on..

Unless this is another attempt to argue the franchise's actions in recent years, the first issue will be released this Fall, no specifics.

My first inclination is to go with your first thought. McKeever is a marketing guy stuck in an odd niche and so it is his job to protect the brand, even if it comes down to forum drama. I won't guess whether or not there is another purpose to it, but he makes some wild claims. I mean, describing the change in the anime industry as a horror? What alternate reality is he living in? Priorities for investment changed in North America, yes, but the culture is no different.

His bit about the Robotech live action film has me scratching my head, but people are eating it up anyway. This director, Nic Mathieu, has only done commercials. These are the samples that everyone is showcasing:

http://www.anonymouscontent.com/commercials/commercial-directors/nic-mathieu#turbulence

Can he succeed at making a blockbuster movie? I don't know enough about that business to say. Everyone has to start somewhere, though. The cross-over comic? I don't know...DC can be hit or miss...much will depend on the creative team involved with it.

My first inclination is to go with your first thought. McKeever is a marketing guy stuck in an odd niche and so it is his job to protect the brand, even if it comes down to forum drama. I won't guess whether or not there is another purpose to it, but he makes some wild claims. I mean, describing the change in the anime industry as a horror? What alternate reality is he living in? Priorities for investment changed in North America, yes, but the culture is no different.

He really shouldn't comment on an industry he and his company are apparantly no longer a part of beyond the rights over 3 very old shows and a very loose relationship with Tatsunoko. That being said, this partnership with World Events Productions, which has similar problems with Voltron, makes sense.

Edited by Einherjar

I clicked on one the links above hoping to see some Voltron Valkyrie half-breed and instead I found a thread from Kevin McKeever implying Robotech is stronger now that it was the year Shadow Chronicles dropped. He points to the fact the franchise has maintained a pulse to make that argument. Sure, it was lurching along when Shadow Chronicles dropped and promptly entered a coma, but three years ago a toe wiggled, last year a finger curled, and this year it farted! Obviously it's the strongest its ever been! I like that he also credits Robotech with things done on the strength of the Japanese market (Aoshima releasing the Tread made the Robotech Beta possible, Beagle doing the Ride Armor made the Masterpiece Cyclone possible). Must be hard to make your living from polishing turds every day.

I clicked on one the links above hoping to see some Voltron Valkyrie half-breed and instead I found a thread from Kevin McKeever implying Robotech is stronger now that it was the year Shadow Chronicles dropped.

I also read the sad thread that McKeever posted in.

Here is a direct link to the abomination http://geek-news.mtv.com//wp-content/uploads/geek/2013/07/RoboVoltron.jpg

It looks like a Super Roy Tron.

Edited by Loop

What exactly does he mean "the change in the anime industry as a horror?"

I can only guess that it is his own personal hyperbole concerning the DVD market in North America (specifically, the U.S.). I could be wrong. And if I am, I don't know what he means.

Hrmm looking at the art. Would the Roytrons head explode if he fired the micro missiles? Those pylons are smashed together on the back. There are 2x missile ports on the inside of each one of those pylons.

I saw that picture once before but didn't even notice the lion had been 'adapted'. I'd say we don't really know how the super parts work on the lion, they might slide out toe the side for flight and missile shooting or something. Wow... never thought I'd see the day where I'd hypothesize how super parts would work on Voltron. Man, if Kawamori thought the GI Joe 'crossover' was humorous, what would he think of this? I think I'm going to have to create a graphic of Rick Hunter jumping a shark...

I can only guess that it is his own personal hyperbole concerning the DVD market in North America (specifically, the U.S.). I could be wrong. And if I am, I don't know what he means.

Maybe butt-hurt that no one in the industry wants to associate themselves with them or their franchise anymore.

How low will HG get seriously?

Roy must have done some really unforgivable things in his life to deserve this level of hell after his death.

And does anybody know who's that blue elf who's having such a hard time holding his magic sword with two hands?

How low will HG get seriously?

Roy must have done some really unforgivable things in his life to deserve this level of hell after his death.

And does anybody know who's that blue elf who's having such a hard time holding his magic sword with two hands?

That's an Easter Egg, didn't you know? The blue guy is not an elf, it's a Hylian; they're going to do the Voltron-Robotech thing and then do another crossover with the Legend of Zelda...

I suppose he's Prince Lotor. Sorry, I don't know his Japanese name..

Yeah, it's Lotor, for all of the U.S. fans...

The fans are the saddest part of the entire panel. It's almost embarrassing watching them ask LAM questions to Yune, and I actually felt bad for them.

That was painful.

How many years have they been using the same LAM page?

You guys really need to start using your spellcheckers. I've taken the liberty of corrrecting your spelling for you :p

"The fans are the saddest part of the entire panel. It's almost embarrassing watching them ask LAME questions to Yune, and I actually felt bad for them."

"How many years have they been using the same LAME page?"

Graham

I clicked on one the links above hoping to see some Voltron Valkyrie half-breed and instead I found a thread from Kevin McKeever implying Robotech is stronger now that it was the year Shadow Chronicles dropped. He points to the fact the franchise has maintained a pulse to make that argument. Sure, it was lurching along when Shadow Chronicles dropped and promptly entered a coma, but three years ago a toe wiggled, last year a finger curled, and this year it farted! Obviously it's the strongest its ever been! I like that he also credits Robotech with things done on the strength of the Japanese market (Aoshima releasing the Tread made the Robotech Beta possible, Beagle doing the Ride Armor made the Masterpiece Cyclone possible). Must be hard to make your living from polishing turds every day.

He's obviously a marketing guy and is paid to put the best possible spin on things. But the most glaring problem I see with all his claims of Robotech's robust health is that none of the things he mentions is a result of HG actually producing any content. The things he's citing are mostly related to other entities producing ancillary content based on acquiring a license from HG (the Japanese toys being the obvious exception).

I think history has shown that a media franchise's most reliable indicator of health is whether new content is being produced. Ancillary merchandising is great and all, but with a few notable exceptions, they can't carry the franchise. You need new content to energize the old-timers, as well as capture the attention of younger fans. Look at franchises like Star Wars, Transformers, Star Trek, G.I. Joe etc etc. Say what you want about the quality or appeal of the more current releases, but at least they are actually producing original content that helps to keep the franchise alive.

He's obviously a marketing guy and is paid to put the best possible spin on things. But the most glaring problem I see with all his claims of Robotech's robust health is that none of the things he mentions is a result of HG actually producing any content. The things he's citing are mostly related to other entities producing ancillary content based on acquiring a license from HG (the Japanese toys being the obvious exception).

Unfortunately, he and everyone in that situation have been making that and other excuses for YEARS. Even more tragic is that there are people out there who believe it. Every. Single. Time.

• 2 months later...

Yeah, this is TOTALLY gonna happen...

(Where to start with this? First, Robotech cannot be marketed in Japan. Macross can, but HG doesn't have those rights. Second, Macross Frontier might still have a fanbase, but the original series doesn't have a widespread following. Third, it's still better than Golion's following. Fourth, American comics are not terribly popular in Japan.

The first point is really the only one that matters, though.)

http://www.japanculture-nyc.com/2013/10/12/makers-of-voltron-robotech-preview-crossover-series-at-new-york-comic-con/

“I’m sure we’ll market the comics in Japan,” says Koplar. “I don’t know what the plans are for a Japanese release. That would be an interesting market to do this in because they’re both well known properties over there.”

Edited by Gubaba