Mr March

I dont thing you will be getting spare controllers for 45 bucks anymore,,,, touch screen?, why?

If the graphics are not on par with a PC gamer, then I think I might make the switch to PC and use the ol mouse keyboard or xbox controller

Console graphics have never been on par with PCs, and never will be.

Console graphics have never been on par with PCs, and never will be.

A console should be as it is only designed for one thing. After seeing the graphics on a PC game compared ot the exact same console game,,, its a sad state of affairs.

In all fairness pfunk, the gap between PC graphics and console graphics only seems so vast right now because the differences in hardware between the two are separated by almost a decade. I suppose the Wii U is technically new hardware, but it's underpowered and made on the cheap so it's graphics capabilities are understandably limited (exactly what was intended by Nintendo). Admittedly there's good reason why they tout the Playstation 4 as a "supercharged PC", because PC's ARE the benchmark. But let's be honest here, I'm sure we'll all be happy with next generation console graphics of the PS4 and the next X-Box. They will look sufficiently impressive and only the few of us will be able to really tell the difference. If one absolutely MUST play id Software's latest "Rage" or "Doom 4" engine on 2560×1440 at 60 FPS, one can always blow $1,600 on an enthusiast class PC. I think true 1920 x 1080 will be good enough for the foreseeable future.

Edited by Mr March

PS4: Sony's Shuhei Yoshida on why there was no box at the launch event

Nothing new but it may clarify some things. And yes, there will be digital distribution of games just like the Vita.

I'm absolutely with Yoshida on this one; who cares about the damn box? I don't understand the luddite attitude of some of those critics. It isn't the 1980's, the 1990's or even the 2000's anymore and Sony can't be faulted for prioritizing what matters more to today's primary young demographic. The grumpy 30-40-somethings aren't going to be there to save Sony when it's clear some aren't even interested in purchasing a Playstation 4. If some want old school products catering to retro tastes, buy an Ouya. The Playstation 4 has to fight for the future of the console market, no matter how grim it may be. Sony can't be faulted for chasing the tastes of the younger consumer demographic, only faulted if they fail to win those consumers.

A console should be as it is only designed for one thing. After seeing the graphics on a PC game compared ot the exact same console game,,, its a sad state of affairs.

How often have you upgraded the GPU and RAM in your consoles? Right, and that is why consoles never have been on par with PCs. The hardware is outdated before the consoles even hit the market. If you've thought otherwise all these years, you've been wrong.

Yeah...even my laptop performs on par with my ps3 now. Imagine what a desktop can do with a good gpu. Consoles will always under perform compared to a pc. They're just optimized with the weaker hardware.

Yeah...even my laptop performs on par with my ps3 now. Imagine what a desktop can do with a good gpu. Consoles will always under perform compared to a pc. They're just optimized with the weaker hardware.

Yup, showed Call of Duty on my laptop to a "professional/tournament" player of the game and he was blown away by the difference in graphics and sound...

I'm fine living with slightly inferior graphics if it means I can get a console for $400~$500 that will last me 5 years and is self contained enough to fit in a backpack. Just saying

Its not even that for me. Its the fact that I don't have to constantly worry about whether my computer can play certain games or not. And that's before you even get to the console exclusives. I certainly wouldn't be getting ready to play Macross 30 if I was a PC only person.

Yeah, pc games can be a hassle. You've no idea how much tweaking I had to do with various settings to get my Steam library to run right. There's almost none of that with consoles.

Biggest problem is the dearth of availability in the PC market. I was able to mostly skip the 5th and half of the 6th generations of consoles with PC gaming but there isn't nearly as much material anymore. There's some but there used to be a few aisles at Best Buy and Circuit City. Now it's one aisle.

Biggest problem is the dearth of availability in the PC market. I was able to mostly skip the 5th and half of the 6th generations of consoles with PC gaming but there isn't nearly as much material anymore. There's some but there used to be a few aisles at Best Buy and Circuit City. Now it's one aisle.

Retail, how quaint.

Yeah, pc games can be a hassle. You've no idea how much tweaking I had to do with various settings to get my Steam library to run right. There's almost none of that with consoles.

Agreed, and if you want to have the horsepower to run the games you have to pay a premium for the right rig or you'll be paying console prices every couple of years just to buy parts in order to keep up with the technology; there's definitely something to be said about a console's simplicity...

The latest news has it that, and I quote Jim Ryan of Sony, "the primary delivery mechanism for the big games on the PS4 platform will continue to be Blu-Ray discs, for the foreseeable future."

Quoting the IGN article: What counts as the forseeable future? Five years? "That sort of horizon, yes," Ryan agrees. The reasoning behind this is that PS4 games will take up so much space that in many parts of the world, downloading them just won't be realistic. "For our big first-party games, we’ve encouraged the studios to make as much use of the BD50 [50-gigabyte Blu-Ray drive] as they possibly can – some of these things run to like 45 gigs," he says.

Again quoting Sony's Jim Ryan: ""If you go down to Southern Europe, where we have very big and important businesses, it can take you 3 days over a standard internet connection to download a file of the size, and that’s not fun. There are certain gating factors in terms of internet infrastructure that mandate that the disc-based solution is going to be the primary delivery mechanism for the foreseeable future."

Which is a major relief for me, because my monthly download quota's only about 20 GB. That'd take me like over two months to download a single game, and that's IF the game even allows for partial download resumes.

That said, the PS4 will still be pushing further towards digital downloads, but it's more for cheaper or free-to-play games, or subscription ones.

Link is here.

Edited by GU-11

In all fairness pfunk, the gap between PC graphics and console graphics only seems so vast right now because the differences in hardware between the two are separated by almost a decade. I suppose the Wii U is technically new hardware, but it's underpowered and made on the cheap so it's graphics capabilities are understandably limited (exactly what was intended by Nintendo). Admittedly there's good reason why they tout the Playstation 4 as a "supercharged PC", because PC's ARE the benchmark. But let's be honest here, I'm sure we'll all be happy with next generation console graphics of the PS4 and the next X-Box. They will look sufficiently impressive and only the few of us will be able to really tell the difference. If one absolutely MUST play id Software's latest "Rage" or "Doom 4" engine on 2560×1440 at 60 FPS, one can always blow $1,600 on an enthusiast class PC. I think true 1920 x 1080 will be good enough for the foreseeable future.

1920x1080 at a high speed should be extremly easy to reach I would think in a console,,, mass produced and the technology is fairly cheap. The only reason I like Sony is multiplayer gameplay seems to be the top

Quoting the IGN article: What counts as the forseeable future? Five years? "That sort of horizon, yes," Ryan agrees. The reasoning behind this is that PS4 games will take up so much space that in many parts of the world, downloading them just won't be realistic. "For our big first-party games, we’ve encouraged the studios to make as much use of the BD50 [50-gigabyte Blu-Ray drive] as they possibly can – some of these things run to like 45 gigs," he says.

Yeah, space isnt that cheap if you have a lot of games, plus with streaming everything you end up exceeding your download quotas which people do not realize they have

• 5 months later...

PS4 launches Nov 15th in North America, Nov 29th Europe.

MW Members on PSN

bandit29: bandit29
brouken: shinbrouken

camk4evr: camk4evr
CheeseKing: CheeseKing
Chowser: sarge051
DARKWIND: BLAKWULF01
David Hingtgen: Alpha_Weltall
dizman: dizman89
DrunkenMaster2: macross08
Duke Togo: Glavil

Einherjar: Zackfenix
eugimon: eugimon
Gaijin: trav54
kanedaestes: kanedaestes

Kanedas Bike: XkanedasbikeX
Keith: KeithL78
Lott Sheen: Million__Star
mikeszekely: mikeszekely
MjrMisaHayase: SailorCallie

Murphy: Maximus_Drunkus

Oihan: Ashmedae
Roy Focker: Kamjin
shiroikaze: Shiroi_Kaze
the_foul_fowl: the_foul_fowl
the white drew carey: dewhitedrewcarey

UN Spacy: pinoy78
Uxi: Uxi
Valkyrie Nut: Bappers
Vince: bbe23
Vostok 7: Vostok7
Wanzerfan: AnubisAsh

Edited by Duke Togo

Yeah, so excited. I won't be able to get my hands on it for a solid week though, since I'll be out of town that week :(

I'm... substantially less excited. I'm sticking with my earlier assertions that if I see one in stores and have $400 to burn I'll probably pick one up, but I'm not preordering one, and I'm not waiting in line, camping out, or doing a midnight launch. I haven't even played a PlayStation 3 game since God of War: Ascension (and the last 360 game I played seriously was Forza Horizon). I'm just not the console gamer I used to be.

I'm... substantially less excited. I'm sticking with my earlier assertions that if I see one in stores and have $400 to burn I'll probably pick one up, but I'm not preordering one, and I'm not waiting in line, camping out, or doing a midnight launch. I haven't even played a PlayStation 3 game since God of War: Ascension (and the last 360 game I played seriously was Forza Horizon). I'm just not the console gamer I used to be.

So what are you into, these days?

MW Members on PSN

bandit29: bandit29

brouken: shinbrouken

CheeseKing: CheeseKing

Chowser: sarge051

DARKWIND: BLAKWULF01

David Hingtgen: Alpha_Weltall

dizman: dizman89

DrunkenMaster2: macross08

Duke Togo: Glavil

eugimon: eugimon

Gaijin: trav54

kanedaestes: kanedaestes

Keith: KeithL78

Lott Sheen: Million__Star

mikeszekely: mikeszekely

MjrMisaHayase: SailorCallie

Roy Focker: Kamjin

shiroikaze: Shiroi_Kaze

the_foul_fowl: the_foul_fowl

the white drew carey: dewhitedrewcarey

Uxi: Uxi

Valkyrie Nut: Bappers

Vince: bbe23

Vostok 7: Vostok7

Wanzerfan: AnubisAsh

Kanedas Bike: XkanedasbikeX

Although I most likely won't be picking up a PS4 at launch and I don't do much with my PS3 these days besides Blu-ray, Netflix/Amazon Prime or Mass Effect.

-b.

So what are you into, these days?

Mostly grad school. :p

Seriously, though, I'm like 90% a PC gamer. Even the stuff that's developed on consoles then shoddily ported to PC later. When I got married, I discovered that it was easier to make my own space at my computer desk than to compete for the living room television. As I got more into it, I got a 27" monitor, surround sound speakers, and built myself a nice gaming rig. Nice enough that when my buddy's wife talked me into playing Halo 4 with her on her birthday I was a little shocked at how poor the graphics looked.

Some of the remaining 10% is handheld gaming, because it's easier to fit in with my work/school/wife schedule. Persona 4 Golden would have been my pick for GotY last year, had I not disqualified it on the grounds that it originally came out in 2008, and the last two games I finished were Project Cross Zone and Shin Megami Tensei IV on the 3DS.

Actually... my love of PC games and my admiration of a handheld's convenience made me curious enough to order Nvidia's Shield. Should be here tomorrow.

well, that's bizarre. anyone else not have audio?

Edited by Jefuemon

well, that's bizarre. anyone else not have audio?

That was a beautiful video :lol: .

Have there been any announcements about how trophies, friends and psn games will cross over into the ps4 generation? I assume everything from ps3 will just transfer onto the ps4 but you never know.

Guest davidwhangchoi

I want to fire back up my PS3 one of these days and go through another trophy sweep on the Uncharteds and Yakuza series especially

i wish sega would localize yakuza 5 for the west

CoD and BF4 are out at launch, so I have to disagree with the video.

Two DudeBro games I can totally live without, or at the very least buy on PC or current-gen console? Yeah, I'm thinking the video is spot on.