All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

I dunno, I thought we've been pretty civil and engaging.

For the most part. Although MW as a group has leaned more in favor of Sony than Microsoft long before Microsoft's Xbone mishaps. This is definitely a forum that's more inclined to talk about how Microsoft f'ed up the Xbone than to say anything positive about it, and I'm pretty sure Mike is, while not necessarily anti-PS4, at least pro-Xbone. I can get why he probably doesn't want to read a bunch of comments critical of his choice. It's kind of like how I'm an Android user in a family of iPhone fans.

I like talking about video games in the video game thread. What games were playing, what games we're looking forward too, asking for advice/tips on difficult missions and sharing amusing gameplay stories.

I finished the main story in Arkham Origins. I still have some side stuff left to do, but I'm waiting for WB Games to patch it. Oh, and I'm still doing Pokemon. I just got my 4th badge, and a Gible, which I've already raised to a Gabite. Since he evolves into Garchomp, and Garchomp's pretty OP, it'll probably have a permanent slot on my team, but I've also been raising other dragons. I've got a Shellgon and a Fraxure on my team right now. I should be ok against Fairies, though, since I've got a Doublade.

I've got a couple of other games I've got to get caught up on. I'm thinking about starting Tomb Raider or Hitman: Absolution. Oh, and I've got Lego Marvel, too.

Better?

Yeah, we get new consoles, what, every 7 years?

This time, and only if you're counting PS3 to PS4. It's actually 8 between Xbox and Xbox One. It was 5 from the original PlayStation to PS2, and 6 from PS2 to PS3. From Xbox to Xbox 360 it was 4 years, 6 years between NES and SNES, 5 from SNES to N64, 5 from N64 to Gamecube, 5 from Gamecube to Wii, and 6 from Wii to Wii U.

Guest davidwhangchoi

I like talking about video games in the video game thread. What games were playing, what games we're looking forward too, asking for advice/tips on difficult missions and sharing amusing gameplay stories. all this talk about corporate politics and this console is better than that console is depressing and makes me not want to have anything to do with future gaming. it's not the tone, it's the subject matter really.

i just got home...

i was taken aback by your initial comment and didn't think it was appropriate. i understand your preferences but i don't exclusively talk in depth about the industry at length constantly. just take a look at all my posts and see how many times i talk at length about the industry. this is what... the second time? the first was when the next gen press conferences broke and i posted in the same manner.

i think it's hypocritical to comment that it bothers you when this isn't any different from when the reboot of Robocop trailer was posted nor when the news broke Ben Affeck is going to play batman... is it acceptable to be cynical and make fun of ben affleck or post cynical opinions on robocop... and not on gaming? When news of new releases come out (i.e. the launch of new consoles.) there is natural fandom and internet bite and you participated in this practice as well.

anyways, i do love talking about other than gaming politics, in fact, i love talking mostly bout new games and some cool news.

i'm sorry if i have some bite tonight... but i think that comment you made comes off as narrow minded and near crapping on the (subject matter) of the posts i made.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Better?

For me, unfortunately I haven't had much time to play BF4. I did fix the majority of the flickering with a Nvidia driver update that they pushed out late last week. But I've run into client crashes and server crashes (I hear the server crashing has been fixed though), net code problems, some map issues, spawn dying (There's a "lag" where you hit the spawn button. It fades in and out of black, then you can see where you're going. During those few seconds when you spawn and can't see anything, you're a sitting duck and will probably get killed). Until they push out a patch, I really won't recommend this game to anyone. I hear it's fine for the most part on consoles.

For the most part. Although MW as a group has leaned more in favor of Sony than Microsoft long before Microsoft's Xbone mishaps. This is definitely a forum that's more inclined to talk about how Microsoft f'ed up the Xbone than to say anything positive about it

For what it's worth, I didn't buy a PS3 until the format war was settled (it was the deciding factor for me), and I didn't make a next-gen console choice until after the E3 events.

For what it's worth, I didn't buy a PS3 until the format war was settled (it was the deciding factor for me), and I didn't make a next-gen console choice until after the E3 events.

That's fine, and I wasn't singling out anyone specifically. Nor am I necessarily implying that there was anything inherently wrong with choosing a PS3. This is a board dedicated to an anime, and anime fans tend to be JRPG fans. If nothing else, the PS3 had more JRPGs. It's just an observation I had, given that I was a Gamestop manager at the beginning of that console generation, that PS3 vs Xbox 360 on this board skewed much more toward PS3 than the general population.

Full disclosure, I bought a 360 at launch, and a PS3 after the first price drop on the 60GB model. I preferred the 360 for non-exclusives, but I use the PS3 far more than the 360, just more as a media center. After dabbling in PC games off and on, I built my first gaming PC in 2008 and began switching to PC for gaming. Today, I pretty much only buy console games if they're not available on PC, preferring even a sloppy PC port to playing on a console. My living room is just too open, with the TV some 17' from the couch, for me to feel as immersed as I do playing 2' from a 27" monitor (not to mention my current PC has long since left current console games in the dust graphically). Since Forza Horizon, my Xbox 360 has only been used to play Rock Band during get togethers with friends. I still use my PS3 daily for media, but I haven't played a game on in since the last God of War (although the Last of Us is sitting on my coffee table).

To the guys who've played Arkham Origins, if I jumped into it without having played the previous two Arkham games, will it feel more like an incomplete story?

Also, how's the replay value?

You don't have to play the other Arkham games at all. Origins is a prequel, set something like two years after Bruce Wayne started doing the Batman thing and three years before Arkham Asylum. As a story, Origins has very little connection to what comes later, and frankly, is a much better and less cheesy story than Arkham City.

I guess replayability comes down to how much you liked it. There's a lot to do in the game, counting all the various side missions and what not, even after you finish the main story, and there is a new game plus mode that lets you use different bat suits in the main game, but I'm not aware of any changes between playthroughs. I love the Arkham games; usually when I get near the end of a game I'm ready for it to be done, but I'd gladly have kept going in Origins. That said, though, the only Arkham game I've finished twice is Asylum.

Not getting either atm, at least this year :) ... waiting for first round of price drops, don't care if it's a 2 year wait. I've always felt more comfortable with the second iteration (i.e. PS3 Slim) of hardware anyways.

Technically speaking, that was the fourth iteration. :)

Edited by Duke Togo

I've found myself revisiting alot of older PS2 titles that I haven't played in a long time or at all. Recently picked up Silent Hill 2 and Oni. Oni is an interesting title that with more polish and better controls, would have been a real gem for the PS2 imho. I'm also now curious about revisiting Final Fantasy X. Haven't played it since 2003.

Guest davidwhangchoi

I've found myself revisiting alot of older PS2 titles that I haven't played in a long time or at all. Recently picked up Silent Hill 2 and Oni. Oni is an interesting title that with more polish and better controls, would have been a real gem for the PS2 imho. I'm also now curious about revisiting Final Fantasy X. Haven't played it since 2003.

the remastered hd edition is coming out soon. i'm definitely going to pick it up to give x-2 another chance

You don't have to play the other Arkham games at all. Origins is a prequel, set something like two years after Bruce Wayne started doing the Batman thing and three years before Arkham Asylum. As a story, Origins has very little connection to what comes later, and frankly, is a much better and less cheesy story than Arkham City.

I guess replayability comes down to how much you liked it. There's a lot to do in the game, counting all the various side missions and what not, even after you finish the main story, and there is a new game plus mode that lets you use different bat suits in the main game, but I'm not aware of any changes between playthroughs. I love the Arkham games; usually when I get near the end of a game I'm ready for it to be done, but I'd gladly have kept going in Origins. That said, though, the only Arkham game I've finished twice is Asylum.

Thanks for the info! I'm buying it, then.

Same here, been playing the Ace Combat series, Onimusha and Gundam Federation vs Zeon lately. I can't quite pin down why, maybe I'm just bored with the current gen games.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Same here, been playing the Ace Combat series, Onimusha and Gundam Federation vs Zeon lately. I can't quite pin down why, maybe I'm just bored with the current gen games.

i was hoping onimusha would come to the next gen... i still have a ps2 handy for those gms

my favorite is shadow of destiny by konami and all the front mission games.

i've been doing similar... i got a 3ds bc it's like the SNES 16 bit era. as well as the wii for gamecube games. (chuck on the wavebird so i can sit back)

i got a 360 just bc my former colleges are all over the country and this is the way we keep in touch by going party chat and playing COD. everyone puts their babies to sleep then let's their wives go to bed then we all get on live. aside from that, i never play it so i traded it in towards a ps4. my ps3 is used for netflix and the only game i put in recently was GTA 5 and stopped after 2 weeks.

my theory is most next gen games just have million dollar polish but the content is actually not as interesting. how many FPS shooter do i need to play every year?

there's a few next gen titles i can enjoy but i find a whole slew off old game that interest me more.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Me too! I'm currently playing through Ace Combat 5, Tekken 4, and Guilty Gear X2.

Dang, I was thinking about trading in my Wii for the new WiiU+Mario+Luigi pack, but Wii's are practically worthless now.

I seem to recall needing to keep my Wii anyway to transfer virtual console games and stuff, too, plus the Wii U doesn't come with a Wiimote or sensor bar. If you were planning on using those with your Wii U, you were probably going to need to hang on to your Wii anyway.

My advice on the Wii U basically comes down to me asking, "How much do you like Nintendo's first party games?" I've had a Wii U since almost launch, and the only game I have for it is New Super Mario Bros. U, although I'm thinking about getting New Super Luigi Bros, and Super Mario 3D World is actually my most-anticipated holiday game.

As for transferring from my Wii---I don't own anything digital to transfer.

Is there a NEED to use wiimotes? I still hate them. WiiU has a real (large) controller---a huge plus IMHO. A wiimote-free wii? Yes please.

That depends on what games you want to get. Honestly the control scheme for something like Pikmin 3 works so much better with the Wiimote then controlling with the game pad. Honestly the new Call of Duty plays damn good with the WiiMote option as well (but I've never liked Twin stick FPS'es anyway.) I'm unaware of anything NEEDING the Wiimote but there are some games that play better with it IMO.

Playing the other games won't tell you anything considering Origins is a prequel. And to be honest considering how much of the game play and map is borrowed from Arkham City (the entire top half of the map is taken from the previous game) you're doing yourself a favor by not playing the previous game as I've found myself finding Origins feeling very samey. So far the story is better than Arkham City, but I haven't played very far either.

Is there a NEED to use wiimotes? I still hate them. WiiU has a real (large) controller---a huge plus IMHO. A wiimote-free wii? Yes please.

As far as I know, the Wiimote is an option for some games, and mandatory for some games. All I can tell you is that it's not necessary for New Super Mario Bros. U, the only game I have.

Guest davidwhangchoi

So, who else pre-ordered Full Boost? Gunpla Build Fighters also convinced me to finally pick up Breaker.

did you pre-order the collector's edition for 10,900yen or the standard for 7900yen? i was looking at the trailer... is a sequel to breaker? i remeber archer telling me about breaker.

http://www.taghobby.com/3-0/3-2/bandai-namco-2014%E5%B9%B4%E7%99%BC%E5%94%AE-ps3-game-mobile-suit-gundam-extreme-vs-full-boost/

So, who else pre-ordered Full Boost? Gunpla Build Fighters also convinced me to finally pick up Breaker.

I might give Breaker a try, but I'm passing on Full Boost, at least for now. The Vs. Games don't feel as fun since the Battle series. It'd be nice if Artdink would get back to the Vita with more than just SEED.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Bored... so made a new D3 Samurai Barbarian character.

ps4 diablo is going to have a few exclusive features (not that great) that won't be on the pc... i have the pc version abut might get it for ps4 depending if my friends all do... still going to wait

info:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/8/5082890/diablo-3-for-ps4-has-exclusive-features-not-available-on-pc-ps3

also those who are still on the fence on X and Y,

it's on sale for 29.99 at k-mart. grab it :)

Edited by davidwhangchoi

I might give Breaker a try, but I'm passing on Full Boost, at least for now. The Vs. Games don't feel as fun since the Battle series. It'd be nice if Artdink would get back to the Vita with more than just SEED.

I just ordered both versions of Breaker after watching Build Fighters, and playing the Beta. It's a fun mix of Battle & Musou. As for Full Boost, Vs became a seperate arcadey entity when they released Alliance Vs Zaft. I appreciate it for what it is, though I agree, Battle is definately my fave.

Edited by Keith